Springboro teacher in drug case seeks treatment in lieu of conviction

Published: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 @ 6:29 AM
Updated: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 @ 12:11 PM


            Amy Panzeca
Amy Panzeca

A Springboro teacher facing criminal charges in a drug case also involving her son is being considered for treatment in lieu of conviction.

Amy Panzeca, 48, of Springboro, is facing charges of permitting drug abuse, contributing to the unruliness of a minor and endangering children in Warren County Common Pleas Court.

RELATED: Personnel file indicates teacher in drug case among ‘most admired and respected’ in Springboro

Earlier this month, her son, now 16, was sentenced to 30 more days in the local detention center as part of his sentence in Warren County Juvenile Court after pleading no contest to charges of trafficking in drugs and possession of controlled substances.

Judge Joe Kirby gave the boy credit for 15 days already spent in detention, but Kirby ordered him to complete an in-patient treatment program that often takes 4 1/2 to 6 months to complete, court officials said.

RELATED: Teen sentenced in drug case also involving teacher, a Springboro teacher

He and his mother, a long-time teacher in the Springboro school district, were permitted to attend a relative’s funeral. She was also allowed to attend a holiday gathering with children in attendance, despite court orders limiting her access to children, including her son.

The case stems from traffic stops by Springboro police and a raid on May 19 by the Warren County Drug Task Force of the Panzeca home in the Settlers Walk community in Springboro earlier this year.

Panzeca is accused of converting her son’s money, including a birthday gift, to Bitcoin, which he used to buy LSD, some of which he sold to about 20 Springboro students.

RELATED: Lawyers, judge huddle on Springboro teacher’s drug case

Last week, Judge Donald Oda II found an oral motion by Panzeca’s lawyer “to be well-taken, in part” and ordered the long-time teacher be examined at the Warren County Jail.

On Tuesday, her lawyer, Andrea Ostrowski, filed a motion that said: “Drug or alcohol usage by the defendant was a factor leading to the instant offense.”

MORE: Warren County woman gets 25 years to life for ex’s murder

According to the Ohio State Bar Association, “Intervention in Lieu of Conviction (IILC) was created by the Ohio legislature to give certain offenders an opportunity to receive court-supervised treatment instead of a conviction and sentence when they have been charged with specified lower-level offenses.”

MORE: Another strip club raid defendant granted intervention

Offenders must abstain from drugs and alcohol for 12 months, take part in treatment programs and submit to random testing in order to complete the diversion program. It also can include community service and financial restitution.

MORE: Lawyer, radio analyst accepted into treatment program

If offenders complete the program, the court dismisses the original charges and can potentially seal the records related to the case.

Since August, Panzeca has been free on her own recognizance, pending trial. She had been pressing for the identity of confidential informants in the case and suppression of statements made to police.

Oda delayed all other proceedings in the case, pending outcome of a hearing set for 1 p.m. on Jan. 17 on the motion for treatment in lieu of conviction.

Florida woman, 81, smashes car into McDonald's: 'Glass flew everywhere'

Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 1:54 AM

Woman Smashes Car Into McDonald's Window

An 81-year-old woman suffered minor injuries after she lost control of her Toyota Solara and backed into the glass windows of a McDonald’s west of Boynton Beach, Florida, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.

>> Read more Floridoh! stories 

The woman will be charged with careless driving, PBSO spokesperson Teri Barbera said Monday.

>> On PalmBeachPost.com: PHOTOS: A history of cars crashing into things in South Florida

The crash happened around 3:30 p.m. at Military Trail and Boynton Beach Boulevard when the woman backed up and inadvertently drove through the window.

“Glass flew everywhere,” said a witness, who said she was drinking a soda inside when the car plowed through the window.

>> Read more trending news 

The witness, who asked not to be identified, said the glass cut her fingers. She said the driver then drove forward and hit her parked Volkswagen. The driver continued about 150 feet and hit a tree next to a canal, Barbera said.

A McDonald’s representative declined to comment. The store and drive-through remain open.

Flares, not improvised explosive devices, ignited at Florida mall, FBI says

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 9:33 AM
Updated: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 1:04 PM

FBI Says Flares Ignited At Florida Mall

 

Lake Wales police are searching for those responsible for igniting two marine flares Sunday evening near the entrance of the JC Penney at the Eagle Ridge Mall Sunday evening.

>> Read more trending news

Firefighters responded to reports of an explosion at the mall on 451 Eagle Ridge Drive around 5:20 p.m.

Firefighters initially said that an improvised explosive device had been detonated in a corridor located next to the mall entrance of JC Penney.

The FBI later determined that there was no explosion and no pipe bombs were discovered. Officials also said that the incident didn’t appear to be terrorism-related.

"It appears two items, believed to be marine flares, were ignited in a mall hallway, creating a large amount of smoke, and a backpack was located at the scene," said Andrea Aprea, an FBI spokeswoman. "Bomb technicians examined the contents of the backpack and determined it did not contain any incendiary or explosive devices."

A witness who called 911 told WFTV that she heard a fire alarm sound and saw orange smoke billowing from an object.

The mall was evacuated. No one was injured, but a ceiling and a wall were damaged by the flares, officials said.

After speaking with witnesses, police said they are looking for a person of interest described as a stocky, middle-aged white man wearing a gray shirt and a hat.

Detectives said they will review surveillance footage recorded at a jewelry store in the mall.

The investigation is ongoing.

Related

Montgomery County inmate found dead in jail cell

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 4:45 PM

Dillon Abplanalp, 28, was found dead early Monday in a cell at the Montgomery County Jail. MONTGOMERY COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Dillon Abplanalp, 28, was found dead early Monday in a cell at the Montgomery County Jail. MONTGOMERY COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

An inmate died in the Montgomery County Jail early Monday from undetermined causes, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s and Coroner’s offices.

Dillon Abplanalp, 28, was found unresponsive at 4:17 a.m. and could not be revived by Dayton Fire Department EMS crews. He was pronounced dead a short time later by the county coroner, said Maj. Matt Haines, the jail administrator.

Haines said Abplanalp was discovered by a corrections officer during an inmate count and wellness check. The officer called for a supervisor and medical personnel, he said.

MORE: Jail body scanners: What do they see and how do they see it?

The Montgomery County Coroner’s office conducted an autopsy Monday, but a cause and manner of death were not yet determined, a spokesman said. Toxicology results are also pending.

During the last six years, at least five other inmates have died in the jail or in a hospital shortly after being removed from the jail, according to Daily News records.

MORE: Justice in the Jailhouse

Haines said Abplanalp’s death did not appear to be caused by drugs smuggled into the jail, a constant threat that led the jail to recently install a full-body scanner that will soon become operational.

RELATED: Montgomery County Jail body scanner ‘going to be a busy machine’

“I have no reason at this time to believe it was an overdose,” Haines said. “It appears to have been a medical emergency. There may have been multiple factors.”

TRENDING: Lead in Ohio schools: What we know now

Abplanalp was confined in a cell by himself on the first floor, making it unlikely another inmate had a role in the death, Haines said.

“There was nothing in there to make it look like a suspicious death,” he said.

Closing arguments Tuesday in Montgomery County Jail mattress lawsuit

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 3:47 PM


            David Cooper
David Cooper

The civil lawsuit of a former Montgomery County Jail inmate who was denied a mattress could reach a federal jury Tuesday.

Testimony wrapped up just after noon in David O. Cooper’s lawsuit against Montgomery County in Dayton’s U.S. District Court.

RELATED: Inmate slept on toilet; jail staff hoped to protect him from himself

U.S. District Court Judge Walter Rice released jurors until Tuesday morning, when Rice said jury instructions and closing arguments will commence.

Defendants rested earlier Monday before Cooper took the stand as a rebuttal witness. His attorney, John Helbling, asked Cooper about the conditions of his stay including how often he was able to shower, what the meal schedule was and the night he and other inmates in the holding cells were given hard mats.

RELATED: Jury selected in federal jail mattress case

Cooper said the mat he received in late September or early October 2012 was inflexible and had no stitching. Cooper also said he never tried to harm himself with the mattresses he had while in general population.

The defendants include Montgomery County, former jail commander Major Daryl Wilson and Capt. Chuck Crosby. Helbling suggested in opening statements that if jurors found the county liable that they could reward damages between $3 million and $4 million.

Court documents indicate the county argues that Cooper’s incarceration conditions do not rise to liability.

RELATED: Trial to start of inmate suing for not getting mattress in jail

The civil lawsuit is the first of several filed against jail staff in recent years for alleged abuse and/or neglect to go to trial.

Four other cases have settled for $888,000 plus the county spent another $444,000 on outside legal counsel and litigation costs, according to county records. Other cases are pending.

RELATED: County spending on lawsuits passes $1 million

JUSTICE IN THE JAILHOUSE: Lawsuits, accusations plague region’s county jails

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook