Sex offender guilty of jogger assault avoids prison, gets treatment

Published: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 @ 2:47 PM


            Barry Motz, convicted sex offender
Barry Motz, convicted sex offender

A Warren County man who pleaded guilty to gross sexual imposition in an attack on a jogger on the Little Miami Trail was ordered today to complete an in-patient sex offender treatment and stay away from the trail and vicinity of the July 2017 attack outside Morrow.

Judge Donald Oda II told Barry Motz, 32, he was placing him on probation and the court’s sex offender docket, rather than sentencing him to the maximum prison sentence, 18 months, in hopes Motz, a previous offender, can learn to control his deviance, rather than coming out of prison “worse than when you went in.”

The victim and prosecutor in the case wanted Motz sent to prison.

RELATED: Man admits guilt in sexual assault of trail jogger

Motz, who had been convicted of a previous sex offense, was also designated a Tier 1 sex offender, required to register where he works, lives or attends school for up to 15 years.

Assistant County Prosecutor Carrie Heisele said Motz’s deviance was “escalating.”

MORE: Warren County man classified lifetime child sex offender

She and the victim urged Oda to put Motz in prison. The victim is a 64-year-old woman who was practicing for a triathlon when she heard a “guttural sound” and was grabbed by Motz, who lunged from the brush, pants down.

She was able to break free and run back to her car.

In escaping Motz, she said she injured her foot and no longer feels safe running along the popular trail.

Motz was arrested about a month afterward in a traffic stop.

MORE: Sexual predator accused of new child sex crimes

“This man’s three minutes of thrill created a health nightmare for me,” she said. “The memory of this assault is with me in every way.”

Motz, who served 119 days in jail while the case was pending, apologized. His lawyer, Timothy McKenna, said a forensic evaluation showed Motz had mental problems best handled through therapy sessions attended while on probation.

Oda barred Motz from coming in contact with the victim or her family and also barred him from the trail vicinity in response to suggestions during the sentencing. The judge warned Motz that he would serve the rest of the 18-month sentence if he violated the terms of his probation.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton police investigate shooting after victim shows up at hospital

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 11:07 PM

A gunshot victim arrived tonight at Good Samaritan Hospital, which notified police.

The shooting reportedly happened in the 700 block of Ferguson Avenue in Dayton, according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.

Dayton police were dispatched to the hospital around 9:45 p.m.

>> Man found dead on neighbor’s property in Warren County

The victim’s name, age and condition was not available tonight.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Warren County resident loses $2,000 in fake arrest scam: Sheriff’s office issues warning

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 5:31 PM

Nick Graham / Staff
Nick Graham / Staff

The Warren County Sheriff’s Office is warning people of a phone scam that cost one area resident about $2,000.

Sgt. Roy McGill said since Feb. 15, several residents who live inside and outside Warren County have received phone calls from someone identifying himself as a “Sgt. Corey Adams” of the sheriff’s office and telling them he has a warrant for their arrest.

MORE: Man found dead on neighbor’s property in Warren County

The fake deputy then tells the resident to purchase pre-paid debit cards from local retailers and subsequently requests the debit card numbers for payment, over the phone, to keep from being arrested on the warrant. McGill said at least one victim provided payment information and was scammed out of approximately $2,000.

McGill said the Warren County Sheriff’s Office wants citizens to be aware that they do not request payment for warrants over the phone. If anyone receives this type of call, they should hang up and contact their local police agency.

Trending - Most Read Stories

1 dead in double stabbing at Massachusetts library

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 3:46 PM

Jeffrey Yao, 24, is accused of stabbing two people at a library in Massachusetts.
Winchester Police Department
Jeffrey Yao, 24, is accused of stabbing two people at a library in Massachusetts.(Winchester Police Department)

A 22-year-old woman is dead after a double stabbing Saturday at a public library in Massachusetts.

Winchester police tell Boston 25 News they were called to the Winchester Public Library just after 10:30 a.m.

When police arrived, they found a female and an elderly man both suffering from stab wounds, Boston25News reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan says the 22-year-old female was in the library sitting at a table when the suspect,  24-year-old Jeffrey Yao, approached her from behind and stabbed her with a 10-inch hunting knife.

She suffered multiple stab wounds to the head and upper torso and was taken to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Several people in the library ran to help the woman, including a 77-year-old man who also sustained stab wounds, Boston25News reported. He was taken to the hospital. 

Yao was arrested in connection with the stabbing. He is being held without bail and is facing murder and assault with intent to murder with a dangerous weapon charges.

Officials did not say if the stabbing was random or if Yao knew the victim. They are still investigating the stabbing - including the motive. 

The victim has not been identified.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Florida man accused of burglary, sexual battery on sleeping woman, police say

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 2:44 PM
Updated: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 2:33 PM

Lamarsh Shelly
Palm Beach County Jail
Lamarsh Shelly(Palm Beach County Jail)

Police arrested a Florida man Monday after he allegedly broke into a sleeping woman’s home and committed sexual battery.

Officers responded to an apartment in an undisclosed West Palm Beach neighborhood about 5 a.m.  Feb. 19 when a woman called and said she woke up to a man kneeling at the foot of her bed and touching her genital area, according to the arrest report.

>> Read more trending news 

She told officers that she asked the man — who was later identified as 27-year-old Lamarsh Shelly — what he was doing in her house, and he said “your door was open,” the police report states.

According to the arrest report, Shelly then asked her if she wanted to have sex and asked her for a cigarette. She gave him a cigarette, and she demanded he leave the apartment. She told officers that she knew him from the neighborhood, and he went by the nickname “Honeycomb.”

The woman said Shelly was wearing a black shirt with tan pants, the Palm Beach Post reported. Officers then spoke to another witness who said that she saw Shelly outside of the apartment walking north while smoking a cigarette.

Officers located Shelly at 8th Street and Herietta Avenue, where he told officers, “I don’t burglarize and I don’t want sex,” the report states.

Shelly later admitted to officers that he walked into the apartment, opened the front door and saw the victim sleeping in her bed, the Palm Beach Post reported. He said that he made noises to wake her up to tell her that her front door was open, but did not mention touching her.

Police said children were sleeping in the apartment when the incident occurred.

Officers arrested Shelly on charges of sexual battery and burglary. He remains at the Palm Beach County jail on no bond, according to jail records.

Trending - Most Read Stories