Sentencing postponed for ex-boosters treasurer

Updated: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 @ 2:16 PM
Published: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 @ 2:16 PM
By: Mark Gokavi - Staff Writer

The sentencing of the former treasurer of the Springboro Athletic Boosters has been pushed back until July.

Thomas Harves could face jail if he is unable to make full restitution for money he embezzled from the group he helped found more than 20 years ago.

During an April 11 hearing, Harves admitted stealing $439,455. Harves has repaid all but $157,883 to the booster group. The judge warned Harves, 61, of Springboro, that he faced jail or prison if he was unable to come up with the rest of the money.

Harves’ sentencing, which had been scheduled for Tuesday, will be July 9 in front of Judge James Flannery in Warren County Common Pleas Court.

Fort Recovery teacher guilty of sexual battery

Updated: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 @ 8:49 AM
Published: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 @ 4:29 PM
By: Richard Wilson - Staff Writer

After emotional testimony from the victim in day two of the trial of a former Fort Recovery teacher charged with sexual battery, the defendant changed his plea as part of a deal with the prosecutor.

Christopher Summers, 33, pleaded guilty to eight counts of sexual battery by a teacher or other person in authority serving in a school, according to proceedings today in Mercer County Common Pleas Court.

Summers was initially facing 47 felony counts, including two counts of rape, involving a student at Fort Recovery High School.

The victim, a 19-year-old Fort Recovery graduate, testified that Summers sexually assaulted her multiple times when she was a 16-year-old student.

Others who testified for the prosecution included a coach, former baseball player and a principal.

Summers faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison for each count, according to Mercer County Prosecutor Matthew K. Fox.

Fox said there’s a pending case against Summers in Darke County involving the same victim.

“I’m proud of the job the victim did today. She’s an amazing young lady,” Fox said.

Summers remains on house arrest. He is scheduled to be sentenced in Mercer County next month.

Ft. Recovery teacher gets more prison time for student sex

Updated: Saturday, August 16, 2014 @ 4:51 PM
Published: Friday, October 11, 2013 @ 2:25 PM
By: Breaking News Staff - www.whiotv.com

A former Fort Recovery teacher was given another year in prison today after already getting 20 years in a sex case involving his student.

Christopher Summers, 33, will serve 21 years total for a relationship he had with a 16-year-old. In Darke County Common Pleas Court today, he was given one year on a count of sexual battery.

He faced up to five years on the charge.

Summers apologized today in court, telling the victim, the victim's family and his wife that he is remorseful.

The victim's testimony during the trial revealed a pattern by Summers of manipulation punctuated with sexual, physical and mental abuse and nearly 1,000 phone calls and text messages all hours of the day and night.

The victim, now 19, and her mother gave statements in court, as did Summers and his wife.

"I'm so sorry for what I did to her," Summers said. "She's entirely blameless, I'm not the monster they've tried to make me out to be."

His wife, Laurie Summers, spoke in support of her husband of eight years.

"I am completely convinced that Chris will never put himself in a position where this could happen again," she said. "If I thought there was even the slightest chance that this would happen again I would not be standing by Chris."

The victim's mother said the defendant can't be trusted "outside of a locked facility."

The victim said she has "much to say," but not the words nor "strength to put myself through it again."

"I will be forever changed by what Mr. Summers did to me. As time goes on I will be able to deal more and more, but the hurt will always be there," she said.

Summers will have to register as a tier III sex offender for the rest of his life.

Police make arrest in September homicide near bus stop

Updated: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 @ 11:25 AM
Published: Monday, October 07, 2013 @ 8:30 AM
By: www.whiotv.com

Police have arrested a teenager in connection of the shooting death of Take Gangloff, a 75-year-old woman, at a Dayton bus stop last month.

Take Gangloff, of Dayton, was found dead on the sidewalk near an RTA bus stop at the intersection of Norwood Avenue and Mound Street on Sept. 13. She had been shot in the head and left there.

Officials at the Dayton Police Department confirmed a 17-year-old male was arrested on Friday night and they are "sure he is the shooter." The identity of the suspect was not immediately released.

Investigators were able to identify the suspect after a successful tip from a citizen.

It's believed Gangloff was waiting for the bus when the shooting happened. Investigators said the homicide appeared to happen after a robbery gone wrong.

FBI manhunt ends with arrest at popular tourist spot

Updated: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 @ 10:12 AM
Published: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 @ 2:09 AM
By: Jana Katsuyama - KTVU.com

A three day manhunt that began Saturday when FBI agents raided a well-known political consultant's home, came to an end Monday evening when Ryan Chamberlain was spotted at Crissy Field.

A law enforcement source says two San Francisco police officers were on their regular patrol when they saw the white 2008 Nissan Altima in a parking lot. It was near the Beach Hut Cafe to the west of the St. Francisco Yacht Club lot. The officers checked the license plate and then approached the vehicle, ordering Chamberlain to get out of the car.

A driver for the rideshare company Uber told KTVU he had been taking a break when he heard the officers shouting. He took video of Chamberlain being taken into custody.

 

Ryan Kelly Chamberlain II, 42, on Monday afternoon shortly after announcing that they had found his car near Crissy Field, just south of the Golden Gate Bridge.

 

"I heard some commotion going on. Took a look out my window saw an arrest being made. Got out of my car and starting rolling film with my iPhone," said Morgan Manos, a San Francisco Uber driver.

Manos says that Chamberlain called out to him for help as officers took him away.

"The cop said back away. The guy who was getting arrested looked at me and said help," said Manos.

Chamberlain, 42, once worked with San Francisco's political elite. He was a social media consultant who had worked with Gavin Newsom and was well-known in the city's political circles.

He became the target of a manhunt Saturday after FBI agents raided his home near the intersection of Polk and Jackson streets. Officials say they found explosive devices in his apartment but Chamberlain had disappeared.

About 2 p.m. Monday, a tip led FBI agents to the Mad Dog in the Fog bar in San Francisco's Lower Haight neighborhood. The bartender said Chamberlain used his ATM card.

FBI agents followed the lead but Chamberlain was not there when they arrived.

Mike Burt, an employee at the nearby Toronado Bar across the street told KTVU, "There was a couple undercover officers with a picture, 3 pictures of the guy asking if anybody seen him."

At 6:22 p.m. the officers had located Chamberlain and arrested him. San Francisco police brought in the bomb squad. They used a robot to check the vehicle for explosives.

"I figured if there's a manhunt surely this guy's going to get out of the city. I didn't imagine I'd run into him down at the beach," said Manos.

Chamberlain is being held on federal charges of possessing explosives.

The FBI and police plan to have news conference Tuesday morning with more details.