Randolph Southern School Corp.,

Miami Twp. police reveal officer who fired weapon in fatal shooting

Published: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 @ 1:45 AM
Updated: Thursday, December 21, 2017 @ 12:16 PM

WATCH: Miami Twp. Police provide update on officer-involved shooting

UPDATE @ 11:52 a.m.:

Miami Twp. Police Chief Ron Hess identified Officer James McCarty as the officer who fired his weapon, ultimately leading to the death of Robert Edwards Wednesday morning.

Police responded to Edwards’ residence after receiving a report he may be suicidal from a woman identifying herself as his ex-girlfriend, according to records.

Hess released a timeline of the events leading to the fatal shooting:

  • 12:14 a.m.: Police responded to Edwards’ home on a report of a suicidal person
  • 12:24 a.m.: Officers James McCarty and Shawn Todd arrive on the scene and McCarty knocks on the door to encounter Edwards.
  • 12:29 a.m.: Officer Todd calls out for shots fired and requested assistance. He also began CPR and other officers arriving on the scene attempted other life-saving measures, but were unsuccessful, Hess said.

The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation is now heading the investigation and Hess did not comment on any specifics of the investigation pending its outcome. Hess did say the department’s internal investigation will look into whether rules, procedures and policies were followed during the call.

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office ruled Edwards died from multiple gunshot wounds and his death is listed as a homicide, a spokesperson said.

During a morning press conference, Hess showed two photographs showing the pellet gun that was recovered on the scene and a similar looking handgun. The photo to the left is the pellet gun recovered and to the right is a similar handgun.

Police Chief Ron Hess shows two pictures during Thursday's press conference on the fatal officer-involved shooting. To the left is the pellet gun recovered on the scene and to the right is a similar-in-style handgun. CHUCK HAMLIN / STAFF

The chief described the events that unfolded as “a tragedy for everybody involved.”

Hess said he plans to answer any outstanding questions during a later time once the investigation is complete.

UPDATE @ 9:26 a.m.:

Miami Twp. Police are expecting to provide an update on the officer-involved shooting case Thursday morning at 11:30 a.m.


Robert Edwards, 33, was shot and killed by Miami Twp. police early Wednesday morning after officers said he refused to drop his weapon. 

The weapon was a pellet gun, officers later discovered.

RELATED: Family: Man killed in officer-involved shooting ‘wasn’t a bad guy’

Miami Twp. police responded to a call around 12:15 a.m. that a man was making suicidal threats, “drinking and ready to pull the trigger,” Miami Twp. police chief Ron Hess said. The call came from a woman who was not at Edwards’ house and who reported contact with him via social media.

RELATED: Miami Twp. officer-involved shooting marks 9th for Dayton-area in 2017

The woman who called the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center’s non-emergency phone line to report what she believed were suicidal thoughts, identified herself as an ex-girlfriend of Edwards.

“I’ve got a friend on my Facebook messaging me. He’s saying he’s got a beer and a loaded gun in his hand, wanting to pull the trigger,” the woman told police.

Once police arrived at Edwards’ home on Del Barton Avenue in the Oakwood Village mobile home park, they asked him to drop his weapon, Capt. John Magill. When he didn’t, they fired, Magill said. 

TRENDING: Local Congressman Jim Jordan says FBI plotted to keep Trump out of White House

Edwards was struck three times, police said.

In a press conference Wednesday morning, Hess revealed the names of the police officers involved: James M. McCarty, 35, and Shawn Todd, 43. McCarty has 11 years of police experience and Todd has 15, he added. 

>>Latest Local News

At 12:31 a.m., McCarty and Todd reported that Edwards was down, prompting one of them to give Edwards CPR.

Police said the shooting occurred at the door of the mobile home, and McCarty and Todd did not go inside until after the shooting.

This news organization requested cruiser camera video, however cruiser camera video for the incident does not exist, Magill said.

Amber Plymesser and her two daughters, who were asleep, were in the mobile home at the time of the shooting. 

Plymesser told this news organization that she’s been friends with Edwards for years. 

“He was a great person. He was not violent at all,” Plymesser said. “He was a really good person. He’s going to be really missed by a lot of people.”

Shawna Stoff, the grandmother of Edwards’ son, said Edwards was a caring person. 

“If somebody needed a place to stay, he didn’t care if he knew them or not,” Stoff told this news organization. “I want the world to know he wasn’t a bad guy.”

The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation has been asked to investigate the shooting. McCarty and Todd have both been put on paid administrative leave, pending the outcome of the BCI’s investigation.

Hess did not answer any questions in the press conference this morning and said he would have more to say on the incident Thursday. 

This Miami Twp. shooting is the ninth officer-involved shooting in the Dayton area in 2017, and the seventh that resulted in a death. This year’s number of area officer-involved shooting is four more than last year.

Video shows children leaving alleged 'torture house' in California

Published: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 @ 5:50 AM

Details Emerge About 13 Siblings Rescued From California Home

Following their parents’ arrest, the Turpin siblings finally tasted freedom.

>> Watch the news report here

A surveillance video shows the siblings exiting the house where they were allegedly held captive. One grown sibling is shown carrying one of the younger children while another sibling is seen running to the silver van in the driveway that would take them from the house which reports have described as a nightmare.

>> Hundreds of journals found in home where 13 siblings held captive, DA says

David and Louise Turpin were arrested after one of their daughters reportedly escaped from the home and called police. The children were found Jan. 14 at their home in Perris, California. The Turpin parents are accused of abusing their children for years.

>> Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

The parents allegedly forced the children to shower only once a year, shackled them to furniture and beat them routinely, Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said at a press conference. The Turpins also are accused of taunting their children with food. Hestrin said the children had not been to a doctor in four years and had never visited a dentist.

The 13 siblings, ages 2 to 29, have all been hospitalized. Hestrin said the oldest sibling, a 29-year-old woman, weighed only 82 pounds. He said a 12-year-old sibling was the weight of an average 7-year-old.

>> Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court

All of the siblings are being treated for malnutrition and undergoing other diagnostic tests.

“Circumstantial evidence in the house suggests that the victims were often not released from their chains to go to the bathroom,” Hestrin said at the press conference. “If the children were found to wash their hands above the wrist area, they were accused of playing in the water, and they would be chained up.”

The parents have each been charged with 12 counts of torture, 12 counts of false imprisonment, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult and six counts of child abuse. In addition, David Turpin has been charged with one count of a lewd act on a child under the age of 14 by force, fear or duress. They have each pleaded not guilty to all charges.

13 Siblings Held Captive In California "House of Horrors"

David Macher, a lawyer representing David Turpin, told ABC News: “What we would like the public to know is that our clients are presumed to be innocent, and that’s a very important presumption,” adding, “We’re going to provide a vigorous defense.”

Meanwhile, Hestrin said that when the siblings were not chained up, they were locked in different rooms and were not allowed to have toys. Investigators said they found many toys in the house; however, they were reportedly in their original packaging and had never been opened.

The Turpins are accused of starting the torture of their children when they lived in a rural area of North Texas near Fort Worth. Hestrin said the torture “intensified over time and worsened” when they moved to California in 2014.

“They were fed very little, on a schedule," Hestrin added.

>> Read more trending news 

The moved to a middle-class neighborhood in Perris, about 70 miles southeast of Los Angeles, where they home-schooled their children and allegedly kept them trapped inside the home.

A sister of Louise Turpin, Elizabeth Flores, told ABC the couple kept to themselves.

“This has been going on before they even had children. … They were real private, and they didn’t come around much,” Flores said.

“We begged to Skype (with) them,” Flores said. “We begged to see them.”

Report: Couple holding 13 children captive were days from moving to Oklahoma

Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 10:26 AM

Details Emerge About 13 Siblings Rescued From California Home

A report says David Allen Turpin and Louise Anna Turpin, the California couple accused of allegedly holding 13 siblings captive in their home, were planning to move to Oklahoma.

ABC News reported that the parents were moving from California to Oklahoma days before they were arrested and charged with torture and child endangerment, citing multiple unnamed sources.

>> Read more trending news 

David Turpin was getting a job transfer with a defense contractor he was working with, according to ABC News. Moving boxes were reportedly found at the residence. The report says the family has moved to multiple places over the years, including a home in Texas.

Related: Here’s what the children in the California torture house did to cope with the abuse

The couple’s 17-year-old daughter escaped the home early Jan. 14 and called 911, saying her 12 siblings were “being held captive” at a Perris, California, residence by her parents.

Related: Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court

The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department said in a Jan. 15 news release that the siblings, ranging in ages from 2 to 29, “appeared to be malnourished and very dirty.” Six of the siblings are minors.

Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, were charged with 12 counts of torture and a lewd act on a child by force or fear of duress. The siblings could only have one meal a day and take one shower a year. Hestrin said at a news conference that the siblings were able to write in journals all the time, which will provide “strong evidence of what occurred in that home.”

Related: DA: Captive siblings limited to one meal a day, one shower a year

Two dogs were found by authorities in the home, according to city spokesman Joe Vargo. Vadrgo said in a statement that the two Maltese terrier dogs were in much better condition than the siblings.

Related: Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

“The animals, one white and one black, appear healthy and friendly and are leash-trained, according to Christina Avila, a senior animal control officer,” a news release from the City of Perris said.

The parents made their first court appearance Thursday and entered not guilty pleas to all charges. Their bail is set at $13 million. They are scheduled to appear in court again Feb. 23.

Pregnant woman killed by stray bullet near area popular with recreational shooters

Published: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 @ 4:20 AM

File photo. (Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images)
Robert Laberge/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images)(Robert Laberge/Getty Images)

Kami Gilstrap, 24, who was struck by a stray bullet during a family outing in Arizona’s Buckeye desert on Jan. 14, has died from her injuries.

>> Watch the news report here

Arizona's Family

Friends told that Gilstrap was the wife of an airman stationed at Luke Air Force Base, and she had just learned she was pregnant with their first child.

Buckeye is an area popular with recreational shooters, Buckeye Police Chief Larry Hall told reporters. He said both the Buckeye Police Department and the Bureau of Land Management had officers in the area because of the high number of people out shooting.

“There’s tons of ricochets. And our incident from yesterday was an indication that the round that was fired at our victim, yesterday, came from a completely different direction than where everybody’s firing right now. There are no regulations out here,” Hall said.

Police said there were hundreds of people out shooting Jan. 14.

Gilstrap was shot in the chest around 2 p.m. A pickup truck sped to a group of officers with Gilstrap in the bed; a group of people performed chest compressions on her in an effort to deliver emergency first aid. Witnesses told the officers they heard three distinct shots but didn’t know where they came from. One of the bullets lodged in Gilstrap’s chest. She was rushed to the hospital in critical condition, but she died Jan. 15.

>> Read more trending news 

Hall said the area is filled with trash and debris, which makes it easy for bullets to ricochet and hit another shooter.

“And that’s where this whole situation out here is absolutely dangerous,” Hall said. “I would never bring my family out here, and I’d never bring my friends out here.”

Hall said investigators have not been able to pinpoint the shooter.

“The biggest challenge we’re facing in this investigation right now is that there are hundreds of shooters out here, and there were hundreds of shooters just south of where the incident occurred, which is a 1-mile stretch of area,” Hall said. “In trying to determine trajectory, and actually the round that hit her, it’s gonna be a very challenging investigation at this point.”

Others who frequent the Buckeye desert were shocked but not surprised that something like this happened.

“It’s something that would have been a matter of time, not if, but when it was going to happen,” said Hector Guzman, who has gone target shooting in the desert a few times.


Springfield man accused of attempted murder allegedly gave fake name

Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 3:08 PM

            Dantez Craigmiles
Dantez Craigmiles

A Springfield man accused of attempted murder for a 2016 shooting on Race Street allegedly gave police officers a fake name to avoid charges, according to a police report.

MORE: Police: 1 suspect sought in 2 Springfield shootings

Dantez Craigmiles, 33, pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder, aggravated burglary and falisfication in the Clark County Municipal Court on Tuesday morning. Bond was set at $500,000.

On Nov. 1 of 2016, around 11:50 p.m. officers and medics were dispatched to a home in the 100 block of South Race Street on a report of a man being shot.

Craigmiles allegedly entered the home without permission and pointed a gun at two witnesses, according to a police report. A man then came out of the bedroom and punched Craigmiles, who shot the man, Kenneth Adams in the chest, the report said. As the man fell to the ground, the suspect walked over and stood over top of Mr. Adams and fired another shot, striking him in the left side of his head, according to the report.

MORE: South Vienna woman accused of firing gun at Wayside Tavern incident

At about 7:45 p.m. Monday, police stopped a vehicle after it had turned the wrong way onto a one-way street. The passenger in the vehicle identified himself as “Jay Bellew,” but dispatch could not find the name in records. The man allegedly also gave his birthdate at “11-6-7-91,” the report said. However, officers were able to identify Craigmiles with pictures and a list of his known tattoos.

While being taken into custody, officers found four bundles of an unknown off-white substance and an unlabeled pill bottle containing 30 Ambien pills in his jacket pocket, the report said. The drugs were sent to the lab for testing, according to the report.

Craigmiles was placed in the Clark County Jail.


Springfield man accused of whipping pregnant woman with belt

Springfield man arrested, accused of robbing Fifth Third bank

Domestic violence, arson arrests in Springfield linked to Snapchat

Facebook hunting photos lead to wildlife charges for New Carlisle men