UPDATE


Police: Taco Bell customer goes on rampage over order issue

Published: Saturday, July 15, 2017 @ 10:07 AM

WATCH: Taco Bell Customer Goes On Rampage Over Order Issue

Police in Rhode Island are searching for a man who trashed the front counter of a Taco Bell over an issue with his order.

The incident happened Thursday night, WPRI reported. Surveillance video captured the man's actions.

The man can be seen angrily gesturing and knocking monitors and other items off the counter. 

>> Read more trending news

The man was wearing a black shirt with white lettering that said, "Be Free."

Police are asking for the public's help in identifying the man. Those with information can call North Smithfield Police Department at 401-752-1212.

Alleged cop-killer who ate own feces in court ruled incompetent, to undergo mental exam

Published: Monday, October 23, 2017 @ 1:57 PM

Alleged Police Killer Smears Himself With Feces In Court

A judge ruled that a man accused of gunning down a New Orleans police officer in 2015 is incompetent to stand trial after the defendant halted jury selection last week by smearing feces over his face and head, eating some of it as court personnel and spectators choked and gagged. 

Orleans Parish District Judge Karen Herman handed down the ruling on Thursday, the day after Travis Boys pulled the excrement from his suit pocket, where he apparently stashed it earlier in the day. NOLA.com said Herman ordered Boys to undergo a psychiatric evaluation so doctors could determine if his actions were due to mental illness or if they were his way of delaying the trial. 

“Erring on the side of caution, I’m declaring Mr. Boys incompetent,” Herman said. “I don’t want to have to do (a trial) twice.”

The Advocate in Baton Rouge reported that Boys will be sent to the state mental hospital in Jackson for evaluation. He will have another competency hearing on Nov. 30. 

Prosecutors in the case filed an appeal, which they lost over the weekend. Both the 4th Circuit Court of Appeal and the Louisiana Supreme Court declined to reverse the ruling.

Herman also declined to reconsider her decision on Monday, when prosecutors introduced a recorded phone call Boys made to his girlfriend Thursday night, NOLA.com reported. Boys made the call from another inmate’s account in what prosecutors say was an attempt to hide the call from investigators.

Prosecutor Inga Petrovich wrote in a motion that in the recording, Boys is “clearly aware of the circumstances going on in his case (and) makes reference to when he will be released, as well as the possible inability to call his girlfriend once he goes to the hospital.”

NOLA.com reported that Herman said Monday that state law requires that all proceedings be halted following an incompetency ruling, including new motions like the one brought to her Monday by the state. The judge did say, however, that the recording of the phone call would be sent to the doctors evaluating Boys’ mental status. 

Other recordings of Boys’ jailhouse phone calls will also be handed to the team working on his case.

“I’m accepting the jail tapes as authentic and providing them to the malingering team,” Herman said, according to the news site. 

>> Read more trending news

Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro called Herman’s ruling “extremely disturbing” in a statement released last week following her decision. 

“I had hoped that this court was too intelligent to allow an accused cop-killer to hijack these proceedings, but I was incorrect,” Cannizzaro said in the statement, obtained by NOLA.com. “I fear that today’s decision will only encourage similarly situated defendants to engage in such misconduct in the future.”

Boys is charged with first-degree murder in the June 20, 2015, shooting death of Officer Daryle Holloway. The officer was transporting Boys to jail when Boys shot him inside his police SUV, the charges allege. 

Boys, who police say escaped custody and was at large for about 24 hours before being recaptured, faces life in prison if convicted. He has pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity.

Boys’ defense team previously argued that he was not competent to stand trial, but Herman ruled against them last month in a hearing that lasted about six hours, NOLA.com reported. His lawyers cited his low IQ scores, a family history of schizophrenia and a 2014 incident in which he jumped from a second-floor window, breaking his ankle, as signs of his mental incompetency. 

Billy Sothern, one of Boys’ defense attorneys, again argued on Thursday that his client is not competent to aid in his own defense. In his argument, he recounted the disturbing details of Boys’ actions in front of potential jurors.

“He was between us, less than a foot away from each of us,” Sothern said, according to NOLA.com. “I began to smell something, turned to my right to see Mr. Boys smearing feces on his face and hair, and eating feces from his fingers.”

Herman at that point saw what Boys was doing and cleared the courtroom, Sothern said. Boys continued to eat excrement off his hand and, when his lawyers tried to talk to him, he appeared “unable to focus on (them) or even appear to listen,” the lawyer said. 

Sothern said that Boys later told doctors he was told about what he did in court, but that he did not remember doing it, NOLA.com reported.

Witnesses for the prosecution on Thursday tried to show that Boys’ actions were part of a calculated plan to avoid prosecution. Dr. Rafael Salcedo, one of the doctors who previously observed Boys and declared him competent to stand trial, testified that he “absolutely” believed the incident was orchestrated to delay the trial, NOLA.com said.

Sheriff’s Office attorney Blake Arcuri testified that the plastic bag from which Boys pulled the feces appeared to be a bag from the jail commissary. Surveillance footage from the jail appeared to show that Boys filled the bag before he was taken to court that day. 

NOLA.com reported that Petrovich argued that Boys smuggled the feces into court and waited to pull it out of his pocket when he believed it would result in his trial being delayed. 

Herman said in her ruling that the defendant’s actions and the subsequent media coverage had likely tainted a potential jury. 

The judge said Thursday that Boys, if found competent by the doctors assigned to assess him, may have forfeited his right to sit in the courtroom during his murder trial.

“What happened yesterday will not happen (then),” Herman said. 

Police: NYC man stalks 8-year-old girl, 12-year-old brother

Published: Monday, October 23, 2017 @ 7:11 AM

School buses in the Coney Island section of Brooklyn.
Adam Lerner Photography Inc#125883/Flickr Vision
School buses in the Coney Island section of Brooklyn.(Adam Lerner Photography Inc#125883/Flickr Vision)

New York City police are searching for a man who has been stalking an 8-year-old girl and her 12-year-old brother in Brooklyn, WPIX reported.

>> Read more trending news

The man allegedly left a note in the family’s mailbox, which read “Watch out. I am watching you!! Your daughter is cute.”

The alleged stalker is described as a black male, bald, about 5 feet, 9 inches tall and 160 pounds, police said.

On Friday morning, the girl, who was walking to her school bus stop in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn noticed a man hiding between cars and following her, police said.

The man fled when other adults were present, police said.

Friday afternoon, a similar incident occurred involving the girl’s brother, police said. According to police, the boy was about to leave the bus when the man flagged it down. He told the driver he was there to pick up the boy, but was denied because he was not on the authorized list to pick up the child, WPIX reported. 

Around 7 p.m., the 8-year-old said she saw the man on the second step of her residence, taking a photograph of the house, police said.

On Saturday morning, the boy was allegedly approached by the man. Later that day, the girl found the note in the family mailbox, WPIX reported.

Police: Man steals ambulance with medic, patient inside

Published: Saturday, October 21, 2017 @ 3:50 PM

Jeffrey Lamar Brown
MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL
Jeffrey Lamar Brown(MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)

A 44-year-old Ohio man is accused of stealing an ambulance with a medic and patient on board.

Within an hour of driving off Friday evening with the Dayton Fire Department life squad, the suspect — identified by police as Jeffrey Lamar Brown — was behind bars.

>> Read more trending news

>>Dayton police use GPS to find man’s body in creek

The ambulance was taken around 6:30 p.m. after medics responded to a call in a Dayton neighborhood, WHIO reported. The keys were in the ignition when the suspect made his way into the driver’s seat of the ambulance and took off, according to a Dayton police report.

Dayton police finally were able to stop the ambulance a little over a mile from where it was stolen, WHIO reported.

>>63-year-old Dayton gunshot victim critically hurt when she was hit in the back

Brown was arrested at 7 p.m. and booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of robbery and two counts of kidnapping, all felonies. He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday, online jail records show.

Florida man arrested after bombs, ammo, school maps found in home

Published: Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 9:55 PM

Bombs, Ammo, School Maps Found In Florida Home, Man Arrested

A Florida man was arrested after homemade bombs, an AK-47 assault rifle, ammunition and school maps were discovered inside his bedroom. 

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said in a news conference Thursday that deputies were set to search the home Randall Drake, 24, of Dunedin, Florida, shared with his parents for a child pornography investigation.

>> Read more trending news

During a search of Drake’s bedroom on Wednesday, authorities said detectives found explosives and numerous firearms in a locked closet, The Associated Press reported.

The weapons included the following:

  • An AK-47 rifle with a 60-round clip
  • A .308-caliber rifle
  • A .50-caliber pistol
  • A 12-gauge shotgun
  • Numerous other handguns
  • About 15 knives
  • A baseball bat with protruding nails in it 
  • A crossbow
  • Brass knuckles
  • A container of gunpowder
  • More than 2,300 rounds of ammunition
  • Three incendiary devices
  • A homemade silencer
  • Tactical vests

Detectives also said they found a map and aerial images of an elementary and middle school in Tampa, Florida, as well as the Hillsborough County Water Treatment Plant. According to deputies, journals and a handwritten letter that talked about revenge were also discovered.

In this undated photo released by the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, a weapons cache is shown in the home of Randall Drake.(Pinellas County Sheriff's Office via AP/AP)

Gualtieri said his office is trying to figure out why Drake had the incendiary devices and what he was going to do with them.

Drake has since posted $20,000 bond. He faces two charges of unlawfully making, possessing or attempting to make a destructive device.