Police still working to find who killed Fairfield teen

Published: Friday, April 15, 2016 @ 7:00 AM
Updated: Friday, April 15, 2016 @ 8:17 AM

Four years ago today, 15-year-old Chelsea Johnson was found stabbed to death near a Fairfield creek close to the intersection of Pleasant Avenue and Nilles Road.

And four years later, her killer remains unknown and uncharged.

Just before the third anniversary of the Fairfield Options Academy student’s murder, authorities announced a grand jury did not return an indictment against a suspect in the case, despite a year-long investigation in which the Butler County Sheriff’s Office took a fresh look at the case.

George D. Davis II, of Cincinnati, who was sent to prison for drug trafficking, importuning, and having weapons under disability for attempting to exchange heroin for sex with Chelsea was released in January, according to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.

Fairfield Police and Butler County Sheriff’s detectives as well as the county prosecutor say the case is not forgotten and they continue to work on any leads as they get them.

But Johnson’s mother, Vicky Fible, says it is not enough. On Wednesday, she spent time in Hamilton County at an annual summit in Bond Hill as part of National Crime Victims’ Rights Week. The event was attended not only by survivors, but also by police officers, judges and prosecutors.

“I think Hamilton County needs to look at Chelsea’s case,” Fible said. “They are on it (case investigations) over there.”

Fible said she is frustrated that her daughter’s case continues to be unsolved and the lack of communication by officials with her.

“They don’t call me and when I (call them), it takes a day for them to call back,” Fible said. Adding another set of eyes is needed on the case, she said.

In April 2014, Fible and other family and friends protested outside the Butler County Government Services Center carrying signs saying “Justice for Chelsea.”

At the request of Fible, the sheriff’s office joined forces that year with Fairfield police and embarked on a tandem investigation.

The results of that investigation were presented in a grand jury during two days of testimony, but the grand jury declined to return an indictment.

“After consideration of all of the facts in the case presented to it by the prosecuting attorney of Butler County, which included two days of testimony and the presentation of nine witnesses, the grand jury has returned no indictment” against the suspect,” said Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser when the results were disclosed.

This week, Gmoser said the case was not closed.

“It’s not a cold case in the sense that they are still working it,” he said.

Fairfield Police Chief Mike Dickey agreed.

“It remains under investigation,” Dickey said, noting detectives also get frustrated about not closing a case. That makes them work harder. “It stays with you. We are not going to give up on it.”

When asked if detectives are monitoring the location of Davis, who some believe may know more about the case, Dickey declined to comment except to say, “We are aware of the current situation.”

Butler County Sheriff’s Maj. Mike Craft said they too continue to work on the case, but could give no more information about the investigation.

“But every time there is an anniversary or an event with media coverage, it does seem to get more information flowing,” Craft said.

The sheriff’s office is also investigating the Katelyn Markham disappearance from her Fairfield home in August 2011. Her remains were found in April 2013 in Indiana and her death has been ruled a homicide. Katelyn’s father, Dave Markham, asked the sheriff’s office to take a look at the case in December.

The shooting death of 19-year-old Joseph Oakley, who was found near the same creek bed as Chelsea in August 2012 also remains unsolved.

A memorial remembering Chelsea will be held a 3 p.m. Saturday at her grave site in Arlington Memorial Gardens Cemetery on Compton Road in Cincinnati.

2 cruisers hit in Dayton after I-75N pursuit from Butler County

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 12:01 AM
Updated: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 5:30 AM

Pursuit ends on Keowee St in Dayton

UPDATE @5:31 a.m.

A pursuit Wednesday night that started in Butler County and ended in Dayton started as a traffic stop after a vehicle was traveling an estimated 115 MPH in a 65 MPH zone, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

Around 10:45 p.m., a trooper initiated a traffic stop on a white Chevrolet Camaro on Interstate 75 northbound south of Ohio 63. The vehicle failed to stop and continued northbound and exited the highway at Edwin C. Moses.

>> Local news: Shots fired, 3 injured in crash on Germantown Street in Dayton

The Camaro sideswiped an Ohio State Patrol cruiser, and as the driver attempted to make a left turn onto northbound Keowee Street from eastbound Third Street, an Ohio State Higway Patrol trooper intentionally collided with the Camaro.

The pursuit ended with three occupants taken into custody without further incident. 

A handgun that was observed being thrown from the passenger side window was recovered by Dayton police.

The driver, identified as Lawrence T. Conley, 21, was cited for fleeing and eluding, carrying a concealed weapon, driving under suspension and reckless operation. 

>> Report: Thousands in jewelry stolen from Rogers Jewelers in Middletown

A passenger, identified as Shemar S. Moore, 19, of Dayton, was cited for carrying a concealed weapon, possession of heroin and possession of drug abuse instruments. Both suspects were taken to the Warren County Jail.

A female passenger in the vehicle was not charged and was released at the scene.

No one was injured.


A trooper’s cruiser was struck Wednesday night in Dayton during a pursuit that began in Middletown.

The chase involved a white Chevrolet Camaro, which began on northbound Interstate 75 south of exit 32 (Ohio 122).

Three people were taken into custody, and the trooper was not hurt, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol’s Hamilton Post.

Keowee Street was closed just north of Third Street and police had taped the area off for the investigation.

A Miamisburg man said he was in his vehicle at East Third and Keowee streets when a white Camaro — its headlights out — raced by him from behind.

>> Police: 9-year-old boy brings loaded handgun to school

T.C. Cavinder said the sports car narrowly missed his and another vehicle, hit curbs along Keowee and stopped near a bridge. A man in the Camaro hopped out and threw up his hands, Cavinder said.

We are working to find out what led to the pursuit.

Convicted rapist won't have joint custody of victim's child after judge rescinds ruling

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 1:49 AM

Judge Rescinds Ruling, Convicted Rapist Won’t Have Joint Custody of Victim’s Child

The Michigan judge behind a controversial ruling last month, which granted a convicted sex offender joint legal custody to the child conceived by his 12-year-old victim in 2008, has rescinded his decisionCBS News reports.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Woman’s rapist gets joint custody of child he fathered in assault

Sanilac County Judge Gregory Ross ruled Tuesday that 27-year-old Christopher Mirasolo will not have any parental rights to the 8-year-old boy. However, he will still be expected to pay for child support.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Lawyer: Rapist granted joint custody of boy he fathered will not seek visitation

Mirasolo was not seeking custody of the child. This odd scenario started when the mother, now 21, sought state assistance for her son. Ross ruled for joint legal custody after a DNA test verified Mirasolo was the boy’s biological father.

>> On Rare.us: In wake of #MeToo, men are vowing to make changes with hashtag of their own

Why did Ross initially grant Mirasolo legal custody? John Nevin, a spokesman for the Michigan Supreme Court, said that Ross wasn’t aware of Mirasolo’s two convictions, nor of how he and the mother were connected. After learning of Mirasolo’s record, Ross put the order on hold and rescheduled a hearing for Tuesday.

In a statement released to the Port Huron Times Herald, Sanilac County Prosecutor James Young said he wanted to “express [officials’] apologies for the manner in which this case was handled.”

>> Read more trending news 

The mother, identified only as Tiffany, spoke to CBS News earlier this month and expressed dismay that the judge would grant her attacker joint custody of her son. She said she had to provide the father’s name as a condition of receiving state financial assistance.

“I was receiving government assistance, and they told me if I did not tell them who the father was of my child, that they would take that away from me,” Tiffany said.

She said “horrible things” and “flashbacks” still come to mind when she hears Mirasolo’s name.

2 security officials fired after United Airlines passenger dragged off plane in viral video

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 6:20 AM

VIDEO: Passenger Removed From United Airlines Flight

Airport security officials who were caught on video in April forcibly removing a passenger from a United Airlines flight in Chicago have been disciplined. Two employees were fired and two suspended following the incident, which caused public outrage after the footage went viral, the Washington Post reports.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Man forcibly removed from flight after not voluntarily giving up seat

The fiasco became a huge public relations headache for United. In the videos, officers are seen aggressively grabbing a passenger — Dr. David Dao — who was reportedly selected at random to be removed from the overbooked flight so that his seat could be given to a United crew member.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: United passenger dragged from plane reaches settlement with airline

In a quarterly report, Chicago’s Office of the Inspector General found that a Chicago Department of Aviation security officer “improperly escalated the incident” and that a sergeant “made misleading statements” and “deliberately removed material facts” from employee reports on the April 9 incident aboard United Express Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville, Kentucky. The first officer and the sergeant were fired, and another two officers involved in the incident were suspended — one of whom subsequently resigned, the report said.

>> Read more trending news

The security officers “mishandled a non-threatening situation,” which led to the “violent” removal of the 69-year-old Dao, the inspector general’s report said. “The use of excessive force caused the passenger to hit his face on an armrest, resulting in a concussion, a broken nose and the loss of two teeth,” a news release accompanying the report stated.

Florida woman found hiding needles, pipe inside body

Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 @ 6:15 PM

Heather Zachman
Martin County Sheriff's Office
Heather Zachman(Martin County Sheriff's Office)

One Florida woman picked a dark place to hide drug paraphrenalia, according to deputies.

A Martin County Sheriff’s Office deputy pulled over Heather Zachman, 28, of Jensen Beach, who authorities say was driving on Oct. 4 with a suspended license, TCPalm.com reported. What the deputy found was hardly ordinary.

As Zachman left her car, she gave the deputy a $1 bill with crack cocaine, though the deputy noticed she was hiding something between her legs, according to TCPalm.

But the trip to jail is when things began getting strange.

After she started squirming, Zachman eventually told the deputy she had two hypodermic needles and a pipe used for smoking cocaine in her buttocks, according to the arrest report.

She was arrested and faces a felony charge of cocaine possession and a misdemanor charge of possession of drug paraphernalia.