Police still sorting out details of fatal shooting

Published: Friday, February 01, 2013 @ 12:07 AM
Updated: Friday, February 01, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

Detectives continued to work Friday to determine the series of events that led to a 20-year-old man’s death from a gunshot wound Thursday night. Police reports indicate that the shooting may be the result of a series of retaliation shootings stemming from the death of another man outside a downtown nightclub in November.

Matthew L. Anderson, of Dayton, has been identified as the man found dead inside a Buick Le Sabre in the area of Benton and Salem avenues at about 9:30 p.m. Thursday.

On Friday, police said Anderson was shot in that vehicle, but had no further details to release.

The homicide is listed as occurring at 4000 Prescott Avenue, according to a police report. It is still unclear exactly how Anderson travelled the eight blocks to Benton and Salem where he was found.

Anderson’s death is the third homicide in Dayton in the first month of 2013 and the six in Montgomery County so far this year.

Police reports indicate that several shootings over the past few days may all be related and may be the result of several groups retaliating against each other.

Detectives said that a home in the 4000 block of Prescott was shot into two different times on Thursday, including once around the same time as the shooting call at Salem and Benton.

One report from 2:30 p.m. Thursday states that nine shots were fired into a woman’s home on that block of Prescott while her 19-year-old daughter was inside. She told police that her son and nephew got into an argument the night before at a club with some individuals familiar to police. According to the report, one of those individuals is wanted for questioning in a prior instance of shooting into a habitation the same night as Aundric Kerley’s death outside The Vault nightclub, Nov. 22.

No charges have been filed in connection with Kerley’s death. Police have not identified any suspects in Thursday night’s shootings.

Police confirmed Friday that they are investigating several shooting incidents that are related, but declined to elaborate on the relationship.

Also around 9:30 p.m. police responded to the 400 block of Lindenwood Road, two miles south of Prescott, on a report of shots fired into a house.

An 81-year-old woman told police she heard shots and glass breaking, according to a police report. Officers discovered nine shell casings outside in the snow. The report states that friends of the woman’s 20-year-old grandson could be responsible.

Victim in shooting at Trotwood apartment ID’d; suspect in custody

Published: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 12:44 PM
Updated: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 12:42 PM

UPDATE @ 5:30 p.m.:  The man shot to death at a Trotwood apartment is Charles McDonald Jr., according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office. 

UPDATE @ 4:05 p.m.

A shooting this afternoon at an apartment in Trotwood has turned fatal, and police have a suspect in custody.

Trotwood Police Chief Erik Wilson said the victim, a 24-year-old male, was shot multiple times and died of his injuries.

MORE CRIME NEWS:  Dayton police investigate Dennison Ave. shooting 

Police tracked down the suspected shooter, a 23-year-old male. Wilson said the two men have children by the same woman.

The children were inside the apartment when the shooting happened. An adult female who is related to the children’s mother was also there, Wilson said.

Police are still working to determine what led to the shooting.

Further details have not been released. 

UPDATE @ 1:10 p.m.

One person was shot inside an apartment in the 5500 block of Autumn Wood Drive and officers are looking for the shooter, according to Police Chief Erik Wilson.

The male victim was taken to the hospital. The severity of injuries and his condition were not immediately available.

Crime scene tape was up blocking entrance to the apartment where the shooting occurred.

The shooter is believed to be a male, Wilson said.

Further details are expected to be released later today.

EARLIER

We have reports of several shots fired in the 5500 block of Autumn Woods Drive in Trotwood. We have a photographer on the way, and we’ll bring you the latest information as it becomes available. 

Related

Couple sentenced to prison for hate crime involving Confederate flags, shotgun

Published: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 6:38 PM
Updated: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 6:38 PM


            Couple sentenced to prison for hate crime involving Confederate flags, shotgun

As the two defendants wept, a Douglas County judge on Monday sentenced them to lengthy prison terms for their part in disrupting an African-American birthday party with Confederate flags, racial slurs and armed threats in 2015.

Superior Court Judge William McClain castigated the two -- Kayla Rae Norton, 25, and Jose Ismael Torres, 26 -- for perpetrating what he called a hate crime.

He sentenced Torres to 20 years, with 13 to serve in prison; Norton was given 15 years, with six to serve. Upon their release, McClain ordered them to be permanently banished from Douglas County.

>> Read more trending stories

"Their actions were motivated by racial hatred," said McClain.

Torres did not address the court during the proceedings, and cried when three of his family members took the stand to describe him as a hardworking plumber, volunteer football coach and devoted father of three. Norton, who is the mother of Torres' children, addressed several people who'd attended the birthday party and had come to witness the sentencing.

"I do accept responsibility for what I've done," Norton said, often choking on her words as she spoke directly to the group. "What happened to you is absolutely awful. From mother to mother, I cannot imagine having to explain what that word means."

Norton was referring to a racial epithet her group, "Respect the Flag," repeatedly hurled at the party attendees, which included adults and small children. 

Assistant District Attorney David Emadi detailed how the group had gone on a drunken, two-county rampage in pick-up trucks laden with Confederate battle flags through Paulding and Douglas counties on July 24 - 25, 2015.

Emadi said the group threatened African-American motorists, yelled at them and walked up to one of their cars with a gun. They also threatened African-American shoppers at a Paulding County Walmart and at a convenience store.

"Many good people in Paulding County saw you for what you are," McClain said before he handed down the sentence. "Everywhere you went 911 call centers were flooded with calls."

McClain then quoted one of the callers.

'"I want to report a hate crime,'" he said.

Norton and her children's father continued to cry. The two are not married.

As she addressed the victims, Norton said she and Torres made a choice to attend both days of her group's frenzy. She now regretted the choice, she said.

"The worst decision I've ever made in my life was to not walk away when I had the chance," Norton said.

McClain noted that Torres and Norton acted with the full knowledge that, less than a month earlier, white supremacist Dylann Roof had massacred nine African-Americans at a Charleston church. And just as several members of the victims' families in that case publicly forgave Roof in a South Carolina courtroom, Hyesha Bryant, 34, offered forgiveness to Norton and Torres. She had attended the party, which was a celebration for an 8-year-oldcomplete with a bouncy castle and a snow cone machine. She also reminded them of the choices they made over two days that ultimately led them to McClain's packed Douglas County courtroom.

"I never thought this would be something I'd have to endure in 2017," Bryant began. "As adults and parents, we have to instill in our children the values of right and wrong. That moment you had to choose to leave, you stayed."

Then Bryant clutched her chest, leaned forward toward Torres and Norton and looked them in the eyes.

"I forgive all of you," she said. "I don't have any hate in my heart. Life is too short for that."

Torres and Norton, who earlier had been found guilty of violating the state's street gang terrorism law, continued to tremble and cry.

Their attorneys pleaded for lighter sentencing, saying that two other defendants, Thomas Charles Summers and Lacey Paul Henderson II, had pleaded guilty to terroristic threat and battery charges and received lighter sentences that Norton and Torres were facing. Summers is serving four years in prison and Henderson is serving two.

McClain, however, said Torres and Norton would have to answer for their behavior. He also called into question the Douglasville Police Department's decision not to arrest any of the Respect the Flag group that day. He called it "inexplicable" and "a very bad mistake."

Florida men threatened to be cut by man who told them they 'live in Trump country'

Published: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 7:38 PM
Updated: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 7:38 PM


            Florida men threatened to be cut by man who told them they 'live in Trump country'

Police responded to the report of aggravated battery Thursday when two Key West, Florida, men said a man riding on a moped threatened to cut them, the Miami Herald reported.

Kevin Seymour, 38, and Kevin Paul Taylor, 49, were on a walk in Miami early Thursday when the man called them a slur and  "a slew of other anti-gay remarks," according to a police report and Taylor's Facebook post.

>> Read more trending stories

"We were victims of a hate crime last night biking home from dinner," Taylor wrote. "He kept stopping in front of us and swerving into us. Finally Kevin got ahead of him and the guy charges him with his scooter and runs into him and knocks him off his bike. Kevin is OK."

The man allegedly knocked Seymour to the ground. When Seymour told the man he would call 911, the scooter rider replied, "If you do that, I'll cut you up," the Herald reported.

"Thankful Kevin is OK and our emotional wounds will heal," Taylor wrote. "I think the cops will be able to track him down."

The Herald reported that a witness gave a statement to police that supports the couple's story.

"I bet you (slur)  voted for that (expletivie) Hillary," the suspect said to the couple, according to Taylor's post. "Well, you live in Trump country now."

Authorities are looking for a white man in his mid-to late 30s with a Southern accent who drives a black Eclipse scooter, the Miami Herald reported.

Air Force pays $140,000 to settle base sex discrimination suit

Published: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 4:27 PM
Updated: Monday, February 27, 2017 @ 5:50 PM

Air Force pays $140,000 to settle base sex discrimination suit

The United States Air Force paid Bridget E. Lyons $140,000 to settle a federal job discrimination lawsuit in which she alleged she wasn’t properly promoted at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, according to court documents obtained by this news organization.

Lyons was an attorney in the Air Force Materiel Command Law Office Acquisition Division. She worked full-time starting in 2000 on weapons systems contracts she said were worth billions of dollars.

“It was the upshot of 10 years of sex discrimination and reprisal against me by the management of the law office,” Lyons said Monday. “So I feel quite vindicated for having received the settlement and gotten the long process over with.”

Lyons claimed gender discrimination, retaliation, and a hostile work environment stemming from her unsuccessful attempts for promotion to leadership positions, according to court documents.

Her complaint said that during two May 2007 meetings, then-supervisor Peter Ditalia told Lyons he would see her “finished in the office.” The complaint said the only witness to that statement was then Colonel Thomas Doyon, who said in a memo three years later that the statement “could have been made,” but that Doyon blamed Lyons for what occurred.

In September 2009, Col. Doyon denied Lyons a promotion, Lyons’ complaint alleges. She said Doyon “pre-selected a man, accelerated his promotion, created after-the-fact criteria, which he did not meet, and then provided varying reasons to Lyons for her non-selection.”

“I went up for promotion multiple times, five or six times in a two-year time period, and got passed over every time for men,” Lyons said. “It was a glass ceiling kind of situation. No woman had been promoted in that division in that office. Ever.”

U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Rose granted the Air Force summary judgment in December 2014, and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals found that there was no hostile work environment. But in 2016, the appellate court sent back the rest of the case. That led to mediation and settlement talks.

The settlement “shall not be in any way construed as an admission by the AF that it has acted wrongfully with respect to (Lyons),” according to the 4-page agreement filed in Dayton’s U.S. District Court.

The Air Force Public Affairs office did not respond to a message seeking comment. A Wright-Patterson Air Force Base spokesman referred to the public affairs office in Washington, D.C.

Lyons said she worked in the biggest division (30 to 40 employees) out of the 70-person law office. She said she was surprised to see sexism at the base: “The very lawyers that are supposed to be making sure that the military doesn’t do this kind of stuff are the very people doing it.”

Lyons continued to work there until January 2016 because she loved the work and didn’t want to leave her family. She now commutes during the week to Washington, D.C. and returns on weekends.

Lyons and her husband Ed — a Huber Heights city council member — said they wanted to go public to make a point.

“I think, in that office, all the women are in the same situation,” Lyons said. “People need to know that sex discrimination and reprisal is happening right here, and it’s in the local area.

“It’s not just some pie-in-the-sky thing. It happens to your very neighbor. It happens to the woman down the street or the woman that you see in the grocery store.”

The Air Force has another lawsuit against it alleging discrimination at Wright-Patt. Dr. Margaret C. DePalma said in a complaint that she was discriminated against in her job as a historian in the Air Force Research Laboratory History Office.