CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Faith Temple Pentecostal Church of God,

breaking news


Police shooting: Kettering cruiser camera video released

Published: Sunday, August 27, 2017 @ 6:55 PM
Updated: Friday, September 01, 2017 @ 10:27 AM

KPD Dashcam Officer involved shooting

Kettering police Chief Chip Protsman released cruiser camera footage from the officer-involved shooting that left Jason Hoops, 33, dead. 

  • Officer Jonathon McCoy on administrative leave until investigation finishes
  • Dead man is Jason Hoops, 33, of Dayton
  • Cruiser footage shows 13 minutes of activity, leading up to, during and after the shooting
  • Hoops had a gun on his person

UPDATE @ 10:54 a.m. (Sept. 1):

Our reporters are now going through documents released, including Officer McCoy’s personnel file. 

One incident shows in February of 2017, McCoy was found to have violated department policy by discarding of contraband (roaches) on the ground during a call. 

Officer McCoy was one of three Kettering officers who received a commendation for actions taken April 26, 2016, to save a life. The officers recognized an unresponsive man needed medical attention and administering CPR and using an automated electronic defibrillator before paramedics had arrived, the commendation noted.

We will continue to update this story.

Dash cam video released from Kettering officer-involved shooting

UPDATE @ 10:20 am (Sept. 1):

It was over a minute between when Officer McCoy saw the gun and shots were first fired, the police chief said. During that minute, Jason Hoops was told six times to put his hands on dash and given multiple commands not to reach for the gun and not do anything stupid.

Hoops pulled his hand away from the officer and then down before shots were fired.

Leading up to the shots, the back passenger says, “Jason please don’t do it and it’s not worth it.”

Female says: “Please stop and do what the officer is telling you.”

The gun was found on the floorboard when the officers opened the door, so the gun had come out of the front pocket and onto the floor, said Kettering Police Chief Chip Protsman.

Protsman said Jason Hoops had made previous statements to people who knew him that he would die before going back to prison and would take an officer out if he had to.

The van had been stopped for a failure to signal a lane change.

Police shooting: Pipe bomb recovered during search of slain man’s residence

MORE: Kettering police have had cruiser cameras for one year

Officer McCoy will stay on administrative leave until a grand jury reviews the case.

UPDATE @ 10:03 a.m. (Sept. 1):

Kettering Police Chief Chip Protsman is showing a 13-minute video from Officer Jonathon McCoy’s camera. 

As he approaches the van and tries to determine who is in the car and where they are coming from. 

You hear the officer say, “Hands on the dash. Do not (expletive) move,” McCoy said. 

“Ma’am stay in the car. Do not do anything stupid. Relax. If you reach for that gun I will blow your (expletive) brains out,” McCoy said, speaking to the passenger at the passenger window. 

Then shots fired, one burst followed by a second. 

The female driver runs out of the vehicle. 

A second male passenger comes out of van and onto the ground.

“Passenger’s got a gun in his pocket,” McCoy says on his radio.

The man shot, later identified as Jason Hoops, is pulled from the van and given CPR. 

>>PHOTOS FROM THE SCENE: Kettering shooting

>>DATABASE: Officer involved shootings in the Miami Valley

UPDATE @ 11:35 a.m. (Aug. 29): 

Kettering police said a pipe bomb was recovered during a search of Jason Hoops’ residence in Dayton Monday. 

The pipe bomb was removed by the Dayton Police Bomb Squad while Kettering investigators executed a search warrant of the residence Hoops rented in the 100 block of South McGee Street in Dayton. 

UPDATE @ 9:25 a.m. (Aug. 29):

A suspicious device found during a search of an residence rented by a man shot and killed by a Kettering police officer prompted a response by the Dayton Police Bomb Squad.

Kettering police confirmed they executed a search warrant of a residence in the 100 block of South McGee Street in Dayton Monday afternoon that was rented by Jason Hoops, the man shot and killed during a traffic stop by Kettering police officer Jonathon McCoy on Aug. 27. 

Investigators said while Kettering officers were searching the apartments, a device that appeared to be a homemade explosive device was found, prompting investigators to call for the Dayton Police Bomb Squad. 

Kettering investigators said the bomb squad took possession of the suspicious device, but it was not known if the device was dangerous or if it was safely detonated later. 

Additional details surrounding the investigation of the fatal officer-involved shooting were not yet available. 

UPDATE @11:45 a.m. (Aug. 28):

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office has identified the man killed in an officer-involved shooting as Jason Hoops, 33, of Fairborn. 

Hoop’s cause of death was not yet ruled by an investigator. 

During a press conference Monday morning about Sunday’s officer-involved shooting, Kettering Police Chief Chip Protsman said the incident started as traffic stop, and two passengers were in the vehicle.

The officer involved in the shooting has been identified as Jonathon McCoy, who has been with the Kettering Police Department since May 2015.  He previously worked for the University of Dayton Police and part-time in Cedarville, the Kettering Police Chief Chip Protsman said. 

The chief did not confirm or deny witness accounts that a gun was pointed at McCoy. 

McCoy will be placed on administrative leave, the chief said.

RELATED: Kettering officer Jonathon McCoy says ‘gut feeling’ led to helping man who fell

In 2016, McCoy helped a 60-year-old man who fell in his home hours before and was unable to reach his phone to call for help. 

Kettering Police Officer Jonathon McCoy (Contributed Photo/Kettering Police Department)

FIRST REPORT (Aug. 27):

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office confirmed it was called to Miami Valley Hospital to pick up the body of the person shot by a Kettering police officer on Sunday.

The coroner’s office said it plans to release the shooting victim’s identification information on Monday. 

>>PHOTOS FROM THE SCENE: Kettering shooting

>>DATABASE: Officer involved shootings in the Miami Valley

The Dayton Daily News I-Team’s officer involved shooting database – which keeps a tally of area officer involved shootings since 1995 – does not show any shootings involving a Kettering officer during that time period.

Officer shoots suspect in Kettering

Staff writer Will Garbe contributed to this report.

Arizona mother who gave toddler fatal meth dose receives 20-year prison sentence

Published: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 2:44 PM

Mother Gave Toddler Fatal Meth Dose, Receives 20-Year Prison Sentence

An Arizona woman who gave her toddler a fatal dose of methamphetamine in 2016 was sentenced Friday to 20 years in prison.

>> Read more trending news 

Natalie Russell, 30, pleaded guilty last month to second-degree murder and child abuse, azcentral.com reported. Russell claimed she gave her 22-month-old daughter meth to counteract the effects of methadone. The child had accidentally ingested methadone that was left in an open container, Russell allegedly told police. Officials said Russell failed to get her daughter medical assistance.

Several friends and family members attended Russell's sentencing at the Maricopa County Superior Court, azcenteral.com reported. Russell's supporters said they forgave her for her actions. Russell maintains that she never meant to harm her daughter, and her actions were driven by her drug addiction.

Related

Dayton detective fires shots; no injuries in Salem Avenue incident

Published: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 1:02 PM
Updated: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 8:39 AM

Salem Ave Police Shootout

UPDATE @ 7:30 p.m.

Two people are jailed in connection with an incident late this morning outside Lev’s Pawn Shop in Harrison Twp. that led a Dayton police detective to fire his service weapon.

Joshua A. Craver and William Goodwin, both 18, were arrested at 3351 Salem Ave. by Riverside police on suspicion of aggravated burglary.

Joshua A. Craver (MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)
William Goodwin(MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)

They are in the Montgomery County Jail awaiting formal charges, online records show. Goodwin also was booked on numerous warrants for misdemeanor and minor misdemeanor infractions.

UPDATE @ 2:05 p.m.

Two people are in custody following an officer-involved shooting late this morning in the 3500 block of Salem Avenue.

No one was injured, and the coroner’s office did not respond to the scene, despite earlier reports.

Law enforcement responded to the area of Lev’s Pawn Shop, 3351 Salem Ave. in Harrison Twp.

Dayton police Maj. Eric Henderson said there were reports that a vehicle was spotted there that may have been involved in an aggravated burglary in Riverside, and that the suspects may have been trying to pawn weapons stolen in that incident.

“While approaching this vehicle there was immediate threat and officers discharged several rounds,” he said.

No one was injured when the Dayton detective fired his service weapon.

There are two, possibly three people in custody, Henderson said. The names and potential charges have not been released.

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, Henderson said.

Riverside is investigating the aggravated burglary in its jurisdiction, and the Dayton Police Department is handling its own administrative investigation, police said.

FIRST REPORT

Yellow crime scene tape surrounded Lev’s Pawn Shop this afternoon as part of a police investigation.

Two people were seen in the back of a police cruiser.

Officers were called at 10:47 p.m. by Riverside police to the pawn shop, 3551 Salem Ave., in Harrison Twp., according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center. No information was available on what led police there.

>> 2 arrested in armed robbery at Springfield Verizon store

A witness at the scene told our crew on scene that the incident began as a robbery, but dispatch did not confirm that report.

(JEFF BROWN / STAFF)
We are on scene and will update this report as we learn details.

Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 1:52 AM

13 Siblings Held Captive In California "House of Horrors"

A pair of well-kept dogs were taken from the Perris, California, house where 13 children were found shackled and severely malnourished last week.

>> Watch the news report here

David Turpin, 57, and Louise Turpin, 49, are facing a minimum of 94 years for charges including child neglect and torture after police said their children, ranging from ages 2 to 29, were discovered in their home severely malnourished.

>> Neighbors of parents accused of holding 13 kids captive describe family as odd, reclusive

In a statement on Wednesday, city spokesman Joe Vargo said authorities recovered two Maltese terrier dogs in far better condition than the Turpins’ children. The 1-year-old female puppies were reportedly healthy and were taught skills, People reported.

“The animals, one white and one black, appear healthy and friendly and are leash-trained, according to Christina Avila, a senior animal control officer,” a press release from the city of Perris said.

>> Read more trending news 

The dogs — one was named Fluffy — were featured in photos from the city appearing well-groomed and in sweaters. An adoption raffle for the pups is being held through Jan. 26 to find them new homes.

Investigators said the children were only allowed showers a few times per year and were fed only once per day. In a press conference with reporters Thursday, District Attorney Mike Hestrin alleged that the last time any of the children had seen a doctor was four years ago and they had never been to a dentist. Police said the parents allegedly kept themselves well-fed and regularly ate pies in front of their children to taunt them, ABC News reported.

>> Police: 13 siblings held captive in California residence

The 17-year-old who reportedly escaped the home through a bedroom window to alert authorities was initially believed to be just 10 years old due to the severity of her malnourishment, while the oldest victim, a 29-year-old woman, weighed only 82 pounds when the children were found. According to Hestrin, the children “lack a basic knowledge of life,” although they were allegedly homeschooled, KTLA reported.

According to the Daily Mail, the parents face a combined total of 75 charges, and each was being held on $12 million bond.

Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court

Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 7:48 AM

13 Siblings Held Captive In California "House of Horrors"

David and Louise Turpin are facing a string of charges, including torture, after police say the couple kept their 13 children locked away in subhuman conditions in their Perris, California, home. On Thursday, the Turpins made their first court appearance.

>> Watch the video here

>> On Rare.us: Here’s what the children in the California torture house did to cope with the alleged abuse

David Turpin appeared in chains, wearing a lavender shirt and black jacket while his wife sat nearby, also in chains and a black jacket. The Turpins entered not guilty pleas to all of the charges, some of which date back to 2010. The district attorney says the couple is facing 94 years to life in prison if convicted on all counts.

>> Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

During the arraignment, the Turpins were quiet and spoke only to say they acknowledged their right to a speedy preliminary hearing, CBS reports. They will appear in court again on Feb. 23, and their bail was set at $13 million.

District Attorney Mike Hestrin said in a press conference, “As a prosecutor, there are cases that stick with you, that will haunt you. Sometimes, in this business, we’re faced with looking at human depravity, and that’s what we’re looking at here.”

Authorities said the parents were able to keep their children hidden away by listing their home as a private school. Some of the kids, who ranged in ages from 2 to 29, reportedly didn’t know what a police officer was.

The children were only allowed to eat once a day and shower twice a year, authorities said. However, the parents reportedly did allow them to keep journals, and authorities said the kids filled hundreds of notebooks. Those have not been released and are still being reviewed by law enforcement.

The children are currently being cared for in the hospital, authorities said. The Riverside University Health System has set up a fund for the children that will go to their long-term needs, according to a press release. The hospital said the children have already seen a tremendous outpouring of support.

>> Read more trending news 

Brian Rokos of the Press-Enterprise was present at the hearing and reported that David Turpin is being represented by a public defender, while Louise Turpin has outside counsel. During Thursday’s arraignment, the public defender requested that media be banned from the trial, but the judge shot that down. Rokos said reporters from around the world were in the courtroom. The Turpins' lawyers have not announced whether they will try to have the case moved out of Riverside County.