Miami Twp. burglary remains open case

Published: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 @ 12:40 PM
Updated: Thursday, November 09, 2017 @ 9:53 AM

A burglary at a Miami township home has police investigating

UPDATE @ 9:54 a.m. (Nov. 9)

Miami Twp. police Capt. John Magill said no arrests have been made in this burglary investigation, which remains an open case.

Magill said the injured man was taken to Kettering Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. The injured party does not speak English and was visiting family. 

Magill said items and doors around the house were “disrupted” but he wasn’t able to say what if anything was taken.

The glass door had been shattered by a propane canister.

UPDATE @ 12:52 p.m. (Nov. 8)

Sgt. Paul Nienhaus, of Miami Twp. police, said this was originally introduced to police as a medic call around 10 a.m. today, but upon arrival, family reported they believed it to be a burglary. 

Two people were at home at the time. Nienhaus said a family member woke up and came downstairs to find a relative injured and bloodied on the floor. The back glass door was shattered.

The injured man is visiting from out of town and has a language barrier, Nienhaus said. Police are trying to interview him and other family members to help determine what happened.

Nienhaus said the rear sliding glass door had an object thrown through it.

FIRST REPORT

A man was found lying injured on the floor of his home on Miami Village Drive in Miami Township Wednesday afternoon.

>>LIVE INTERACTIVE RADAR

Miami Township police responding to a 9-1-1 call, arrived at the man’s home to find his back door shattered, and him injured on the floor. 

Detectives on the scene are investigating the incident as a burglary.

>>TRENDING: Men surfing on Great Miami River prompts many 9-1-1 calls

We will continue to update this breaking news as more information becomes available.

20 hours of community service for students in Lebanon High knife case

Published: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 11:42 AM
Updated: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 2:39 PM


            Two Lebanon boys were ordered to complete 20 hours of community service as part of their punishment for involvement in an incident during which three knives were carried into Lebanon High School. Judge Joseph Kirby also barred them from possessing weapons, ordered them to pay $65 in court costs and suspended 90-day sentences in local detention during a hearing Warren County Juvenile Court.
Two Lebanon boys were ordered to complete 20 hours of community service as part of their punishment for involvement in an incident during which three knives were carried into Lebanon High School. Judge Joseph Kirby also barred them from possessing weapons, ordered them to pay $65 in court costs and suspended 90-day sentences in local detention during a hearing Warren County Juvenile Court.

Two Lebanon boys were each ordered to complete 20 hours of community service as part of their punishment for involvement in an incident during which three knives were carried into Lebanon High School.

During a court hearing today, Warren County Juvenile Court Judge Joseph Kirby also barred them from possessing weapons, ordered them to pay $65 in court costs, placed them on probation and suspended 90-day sentences in local detention.

The judge referred to cases of violence involving weapons across the country.

RELATED: Lebanon student detained after knife incident at school

“Nobody knows who’s capable of doing something that’s going to make the headlines,” Kirby said.

The boys — one a 15-year-old from Lebanon, the other a 17-year-old from Clearcreek Twp. — admitted to attempting to convey a deadly weapon into a school safety zone.

One said he carried a box-cutter knife into school to sell to another student. The other said he kept in his locker three knives confiscated during the investigation.

They were charged on Oct. 6, several weeks after another boy who was sentenced last week in his case.

RELATED: Two more charged with bringing knives to Lebanon High School

The boy in the earlier case was originally charged with threatening another student with the knife, and he later admitted that he brought a knife to the high school on Sept. 15 to protect himself from another student.

Last Monday, he was placed on probation and ordered to complete 30 hours of community service for conveying a deadly weapon in a school safety zone.

RELATED: Lebanon student detained after knife incident at school

Unlike in the case of the first boy charged, Lebanon Officer Stephen Drake said in his complaints the two boys in court Monday “did bring a knife to Lebanon High School, but did not threaten anyone. Warren County wanted charges filed.”

After the Sept. 15 incident, school officials reported finding multiple knives after students reported that they had either seen or heard about the knives.

Kettering fire captain now subject of internal probe amid Huber review

Published: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 12:29 PM
Updated: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 12:30 PM


            .
.

A Kettering Fire Department captain suspended from his duties amid a criminal investigation by Huber Heights police is now the subject of a city of Kettering internal investigation, this news outlet has learned.

Mark Williamson, 39, of Huber Heights, is the subject of a Kettering internal investigation initiated Friday “regarding possible misconduct,” according to a letter obtained by this newsroom under Ohio’s public records law.

Already, Williamson is on paid leave from the Kettering department “until further notice,” according to a letter in his personnel file.

MORE: Business owner uses AK-47 in exchange of gunfire with burglars

“This individual was placed on leave because we were made aware of an incident under investigation which occurred outside of Kettering,” the city of Kettering said in a statement earlier this month. “The individual will remain on leave and the City of Kettering will continue to cooperate with Huber Heights as they conduct their investigation.”

Williamson was also fired by Huber Heights City Schools from his junior high coaching position earlier this month, according to the district.

News Center 7 and the Dayton Daily News asked Huber Heights police for information on the investigation referenced in Kettering’s response.

MORE: Devastating fire cost this Dayton neighborhood its only grocery store, and services are struggling to keep up

The police division responded by providing reporters a Sept. 26 incident report that does not list Williamson or reveal his connection to the case. Police would not specify Williamson’s involvement in the case.

Williamson is not criminally charged or identified as a suspect in the Huber Heights police investigation, which involves a 14-year-old girl and accusations of unlawful sexual conduct and disseminating matter harmful to a minor, according to a Huber Heights police report.

Another Huber police document — a call report from dispatchers — shows an anonymous caller reported suspicious activity involving a black SUV in the far back lot of the former LaMendola Elementary, 5363 Tilbury Road.

The police report shows authorities seized an iPhone 7, but does not make clear the phone’s owner. Reporters called the listed phone number, but the call went straight to a voicemail message that did not reveal other details.

Huber Heights City Schools Superintendent Susan Gunnell said the district terminated Williamson from his coaching position Sept. 28 after he admitted to letting a student into his vehicle for personal transportation purposes, which is against school policy.

MORE: Dayton residents are ready to fight for downtown’s only dog park

Williamson coached the Weisenborn Junior High cross-country team since 2015.

Reporters reviewed dozens of public records from 2008 to present that document Williamson’s rise in the Kettering fire company and sterling performance reviews.

MORE: Hungry resident dupes 2 delivery drivers on same day

“Mark, you continue to be a shining star in our department,” Chief Terry Jones wrote in a 2013 evaluation. “An outstanding rating on a performance evaluation is extremely rare, and certainly something to be proud of.”

By the end of the year, Williamson became a captain. Battalion Chief Mitch Robbins wrote, “Mark has progressed through the firefighter rank rather expediently; however, this was not without plan or purpose. Mark has prepared both formally and informally for this promotion.”

Kettering paid Williamson $133,953 for work in 2016, according to the I-Team Payroll Project.

Group rallies for man shot by Moraine police, says lawsuit coming

Published: Saturday, November 18, 2017 @ 6:55 PM

Group rallies for man shot by Moraine police, says lawsuit coming

A Dayton-born reverend told a group of more than three dozen protesters that Jamarco McShann’s Oct. 20 death at the hands of the Moraine police department should signal a turning point in the demand for justice for black men shot by law enforcement.

“I for one am tired of watching folks sit on the sideline. It’s time to get off the bench and get in this game. We have to fight for change,” said Rev. Jerome McCorry, the president and CEO of the National Congress on Faith & Social Justice. “The death of Marco should not be in vain. Marco’s name should long be remembered as the rallying cry that finally made people stop sitting in their living room, looking at the news and saying I need to do something.”

People gathered Saturday afternoon outside the Moraine police department on Dryden Avenue as organizers urged them to fight for change, register to vote and return again for community meetings and more rallies. McCorry also said a federal civil wrongful death lawsuit against Moraine’s police department will be filed in the coming weeks.

RELATED: Moraine police shooting a first for the city

McShann, 23, died after two Moraine police officers fired at him after police said the Dayton man pointed a loaded semi-automatic pistol at them and failed to heed their warnings.

Moraine police Chief Craig Richardson has said officers John Howard and Jerry Knight were investigating a report of a suspicious vehicle at an apartment complex at 3750 Pinnacle Road when the encounter occurred. Howard and Knight were placed on paid administrative leave.

RELATED: Moraine officer-involved shooting: 5 questions we’re asking

The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation has assumed control of the case at the request of the Moraine Police Division. Richardson said an internal investigation

McShann’s mother, Sabrina Jordan, said her son was “over-killed” by Moraine police, who are not equipped with body cameras and whose police cruisers do not have the devices either, according to Moraine city law director Buzz Portune.

RELATED: What we know about Jamarco McShann

“There’s going to be a lot of stuff coming up. This is just the beginning. I’m not letting this go,” Jordan said. “I’ve lost three sons. One to street violence, another one to the prison system and now, Jamarco, to the police. I’m tired. I’m done. I’m fighting.”

Minister Raleigh Thornton Jr. said: “We need some people that’s ready to hit the ground right here in Dayton, Ohio, Moraine, Kettering, Beavercreek. We all need to be on the same page of saying, ‘No murder will go unpunished. No life — white, black, Chinese — is worth being killed if you have not done anything wrong.”

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

McCorry said private investigators also are studying evidence and talking to witnesses to the shooting.

“We’re here to fight for justice for that young man because we feel his life was unjustly taken,” McCorry said. “We’re looking to have some officers charged, indicted, convicted for the murder of our people, and that includes Jamarco McShann.”

‘Out of control’ Florida woman threw electric toothbrush at deputy

Published: Sunday, November 19, 2017 @ 4:04 PM

Santiago
Indian River County Sheriff's Office
Santiago(Indian River County Sheriff's Office)

A woman was arrested after spitting and throwing an electric toothbrush at a deputy in Vero Beach, according to the sheriff’s office. 

Indian River County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a home on Oct. 14 when a man reported that his 19-year-old daughter, Angelie Santiago, was acting “out of control” and would not leave, TC Palm reports. 

The man told deputies on the porch of his home that Santiago doesn’t live with him, but stayed there overnight and kept yelling at him.

Santiago then walked through the front door and spit in her father’s face, according to the arrest report. As deputies tried to arrest her she also spit in a deputy’s face and threw an electric toothbrush at him, striking his back, according to TC Palm. 

Santiago faces charges of battery domestic violence, battery on a law enforcement officer and resisting arrest. She was released from the county jail on a $5,500 bond, according to jail records.