breaking news

Police could release new Wayne HS homecoming dance information Wednesday

Published: Saturday, September 30, 2017 @ 9:39 PM
Updated: Monday, October 02, 2017 @ 12:17 PM

Police, school explain after false alarm of shots fired at Wayne homecoming

UPDATE @ 2:49 p.m. (Oct. 2):

Huber Heights police said they hope to have additional information to release Wednesday in connection to the incident at Wayne High School’s Homecoming Dance this past weekend.

We’ll update this story as the information is released.

UPDATE @ 12:06 p.m. (Oct. 2):

The juvenile male who police said started the altercation that caused a false alarm of a shooting Saturday night at Wayne High School’s Homecoming Dance could face charges for disorderly conduct, though no decision has been made, said Sgt. Charles Taylor of the Huber Heights Police Division.  

“Numerous people did tell us that there was some sort of altercation in the courtyard, where either a kid banged his hands on the table or picked the table up causing a loud noise,” Taylor said.

LOCAL NEWS: Two children pulled from Dayton river in unknown conditions; 911 calls released

He did not know if the individual was a student.  Taylor said the school was discussing the matter Monday morning. Phone calls to the superintendent and principal were not immediately returned. 

On Saturday, panicked callers told dispatchers there was a shooting at Wayne High School’s Homecoming Dance, while parents called to check on their children, according to 911 calls obtained by this newsroom.  

“Oh my God! Lord Jesus, help me, Lord Jesus,” a caller shouted at a 911 dispatcher who asked for the location of her emergency.  “Wayne! Wayne!” said the caller. “There’s a shooting at Wayne! Bring somebody!”  

In reality, there was no shooter. Police later said the event was a false alarm.  

In the 911 calls, Principal Jeff Berk told dispatchers that police were not on scene. Taylor said the school hired private security.  “We have not been in attendance for dances in a few years,” Taylor said. “That is on the wishes of the school’s director of safety.”

UPDATE @ 11 p.m.

More than 50 police officers from around the county arrived within minutes to Wayne High School amid reports tonight of a school shooting during the homecoming dance.

“It turned out to be a fight, in which a student picked up a metal tabletop and slammed it on the ground, making a popping noise, and then students thought that it was actually gunfire and started making all the frantic 911 calls,” Huber Heights police officer Aaron Harlow said.

The dance ended early, but there were no injuries, police said.

Police did not make any arrests, and said it would be up to school officials to discipline students for fighting at the dance.

UPDATE @ 10:10 p.m.

The Wayne High School twitter page indicates the report of shots fired during the homecoming dance was a false alarm.

Instead, a table was flipped over, which prompted some students to yell “gun,” according to the tweet.

A Huber Heights mayoral candidate, Jeff Gore, said he and his wife were chaperones at the dance.

In a post on his Facebook page, Gore said a student slammed a picnic table on the ground in the courtyard. Another student yelled there was a gun, which caused a panic. Gore said as students were running outside balloons were popping, which caused more panic.


Police rushed to Wayne High School in Huber Heights tonight after there was a report of shots fired inside during the school’s homecoming dance.

Huber Heights police issued a signal 99 for officers in need of assistance, which drew officers from across the area to the school, 5400 Chambersburg Road.

The dance was canceled early, but after officers made sure no suspects were inside students were to be permitted to retrieve their belongings, according to reports.

READ: Police investigate break-in at Huber Heights Sprint store

By 9:50 p.m., additional crews were called off the incident, and police said they were not seeking anyone.

Huber Heights police dispatch said the department would release information later tonight.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton police investigate shooting after victim shows up at hospital

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 11:07 PM

A gunshot victim arrived tonight at Good Samaritan Hospital, which notified police.

The shooting reportedly happened in the 700 block of Ferguson Avenue in Dayton, according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.

Dayton police were dispatched to the hospital around 9:45 p.m.

>> Man found dead on neighbor’s property in Warren County

The victim’s name, age and condition was not available tonight.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Trending - Most Read Stories

Warren County resident loses $2,000 in fake arrest scam: Sheriff’s office issues warning

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 5:31 PM

Nick Graham / Staff
Nick Graham / Staff

The Warren County Sheriff’s Office is warning people of a phone scam that cost one area resident about $2,000.

Sgt. Roy McGill said since Feb. 15, several residents who live inside and outside Warren County have received phone calls from someone identifying himself as a “Sgt. Corey Adams” of the sheriff’s office and telling them he has a warrant for their arrest.

MORE: Man found dead on neighbor’s property in Warren County

The fake deputy then tells the resident to purchase pre-paid debit cards from local retailers and subsequently requests the debit card numbers for payment, over the phone, to keep from being arrested on the warrant. McGill said at least one victim provided payment information and was scammed out of approximately $2,000.

McGill said the Warren County Sheriff’s Office wants citizens to be aware that they do not request payment for warrants over the phone. If anyone receives this type of call, they should hang up and contact their local police agency.

Trending - Most Read Stories

1 dead in double stabbing at Massachusetts library

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 3:46 PM

Jeffrey Yao, 24, is accused of stabbing two people at a library in Massachusetts.
Winchester Police Department
Jeffrey Yao, 24, is accused of stabbing two people at a library in Massachusetts.(Winchester Police Department)

A 22-year-old woman is dead after a double stabbing Saturday at a public library in Massachusetts.

Winchester police tell Boston 25 News they were called to the Winchester Public Library just after 10:30 a.m.

When police arrived, they found a female and an elderly man both suffering from stab wounds, Boston25News reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan says the 22-year-old female was in the library sitting at a table when the suspect,  24-year-old Jeffrey Yao, approached her from behind and stabbed her with a 10-inch hunting knife.

She suffered multiple stab wounds to the head and upper torso and was taken to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Several people in the library ran to help the woman, including a 77-year-old man who also sustained stab wounds, Boston25News reported. He was taken to the hospital. 

Yao was arrested in connection with the stabbing. He is being held without bail and is facing murder and assault with intent to murder with a dangerous weapon charges.

Officials did not say if the stabbing was random or if Yao knew the victim. They are still investigating the stabbing - including the motive. 

The victim has not been identified.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Florida man accused of burglary, sexual battery on sleeping woman, police say

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 2:44 PM
Updated: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 2:33 PM

Lamarsh Shelly
Palm Beach County Jail
Lamarsh Shelly(Palm Beach County Jail)

Police arrested a Florida man Monday after he allegedly broke into a sleeping woman’s home and committed sexual battery.

Officers responded to an apartment in an undisclosed West Palm Beach neighborhood about 5 a.m.  Feb. 19 when a woman called and said she woke up to a man kneeling at the foot of her bed and touching her genital area, according to the arrest report.

>> Read more trending news 

She told officers that she asked the man — who was later identified as 27-year-old Lamarsh Shelly — what he was doing in her house, and he said “your door was open,” the police report states.

According to the arrest report, Shelly then asked her if she wanted to have sex and asked her for a cigarette. She gave him a cigarette, and she demanded he leave the apartment. She told officers that she knew him from the neighborhood, and he went by the nickname “Honeycomb.”

The woman said Shelly was wearing a black shirt with tan pants, the Palm Beach Post reported. Officers then spoke to another witness who said that she saw Shelly outside of the apartment walking north while smoking a cigarette.

Officers located Shelly at 8th Street and Herietta Avenue, where he told officers, “I don’t burglarize and I don’t want sex,” the report states.

Shelly later admitted to officers that he walked into the apartment, opened the front door and saw the victim sleeping in her bed, the Palm Beach Post reported. He said that he made noises to wake her up to tell her that her front door was open, but did not mention touching her.

Police said children were sleeping in the apartment when the incident occurred.

Officers arrested Shelly on charges of sexual battery and burglary. He remains at the Palm Beach County jail on no bond, according to jail records.

Trending - Most Read Stories