Police arrest sixth strip club suspect; injunction hearing set

Published: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 @ 11:04 AM

Vanessa Graham was arrested over the weekend and is one of 11 indicted on sex, drugs, or food-stamp trading at The Harem strip club.

Law enforcement arrested the sixth of 11 suspects accused of illegal sex, drugs and food stamp violations after a Thursday raid of The Harem strip club.

Vanessa Graham, 29, of Englewood, was picked up during the weekend, according to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.

RELATED: 11 face indictments on sex, drugs, food stamp violations from The Harem

Graham, also known as Vanessa Schrider, was released from jail on her own recognizance with conditions, according to court records.

Vanessa Graham (aka Schrider)(Staff Writer)

Graham was indicted on two counts of illegal sexual activity in a sexually oriented business and one count of aggravated of Oxycodone at the strip club at 5825 North Dixie Drive in Harrison Twp.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Local and state law enforcement arrested five of the 11 indicted suspects Thursday night. The 36-page indictment includes 72 counts.

According to the indictment, Graham and co-defendant Ryan Perry knowingly sold a substance that included Oxycodone. Graham also is alleged to have had illegal sexual activity with patrons on March 26 and March 27, 2017.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

No search warrant affidavit regarding the raid is on file with the Montgomery County Clerk of Courts Office. If such a document was filed under seal, it would not show up on file.

A hearing on the prosecutor’s application for a temporary injunction to shut down The Harem has been scheduled for Oct. 10.

2nd trial in Miami County child rape case ends in hung jury

Published: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 1:05 PM
Updated: Friday, December 15, 2017 @ 5:52 PM


            Charles Hiser, right, seated at the defense table in Miami County Common Pleas Court earlier this year. STEVE BAKER/STAFF
Charles Hiser, right, seated at the defense table in Miami County Common Pleas Court earlier this year. STEVE BAKER/STAFF

The second trial in the child rape case of Charles Hiser, 37, of Troy ended in a hung jury.

Jurors in Miami County Common Pleas Court sent a note to Judge Christopher Gee around 2:45 p.m. Friday saying they were unable to agree on a verdict. The jury foreman told the judge a short time later in court that additional deliberations would not likely end the disagreement.

EARLIER: Mistrial declared in case against man accused of child rape

Earlier Friday deliberations were interrupted by a family emergency of a juror who was replaced by an alternate juror. The jury deliberated 4½ hours Thursday followed by around six hours on Friday. They were told after the alternate juror arrived that deliberations needed to start from scratch.

Lawyers for the prosecution and defense declined comment after the hung jury was declared.

Hiser, 37, faces eight felony rape charges for alleged sexual contact and sexual conduct with a person under age 10 and then under age 13 between February 2012 and late 2016 in Piqua and Troy.

Gee said a pretrial hearing will be held Wednesday, Dec. 20, to determine the next steps in the case.

Hiser will remain in jail in lieu of $550,000 bail.

EARLIER: Victim says sex abuse happened more times than she could count

Gee said he would consider a request for a reduced bond next week.

Public defender Steve Layman asked for reduced bail or a recognizance bond for Hiser, saying he had been jailed since Feb. 9. Layman said Hiser was willing to follow whatever conditions were set by the court. “It is difficult. He has been incarcerated quite some time.”

Janna Parker, assistant county prosecutor, opposed the request for reduced bail. She cited the “severe nature” of the allegations and the possible penalty faced by Hiser, if convicted.

A trial in October ended in a mistrial after some jurors said they had seen or heard about media accounts of the case.

Hiser is a registered sex offender following a 2007 conviction for misdemeanor sexual imposition. The jury was not permitted to hear that information.

In closing statements Thursday, Parker said the girl may have said she assumed why the sexual acts began and could not provide specific dates and times for the alleged acts, but that is not unusual for sexual assault victims.

“There were no assumptions as to what happened between her and the defendant. She was very clear it happened too many times to count,” Parker said.

Layman said there was not an objective fact finding process followed in the investigation by police, who he argued displayed a lack of effort.

“Charles was assumed guilty from moment of disclosure. Why didn’t they dig deeper?” Layman said.

He questioned why corroborating evidence was not sought about allegations that he said could have been fabricated.

Parker said the girl’s account, if believed by the jury, told the story. “She is worth listening to,” she said.

2 arrested, accused of Dayton porch package thefts

Published: Friday, December 15, 2017 @ 8:19 AM
Updated: Friday, December 15, 2017 @ 5:30 PM

2 arrested after packages stolen off Dayton porches

UPDATE @ 5:30 p.m.:

One of two suspects arrested at 2500 John Glenn Road in Dayton is in the Montgomery County Jail.

Lawrence J. Pulaski(MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)

Lawrence J. Pulaski, 55, was arrested at 2:50 p.m. and booked into jail on suspicion of five misdemeanor counts of receiving stolen property. He is schedule to appear Monday in Dayton Municipal Court.

UPDATE @ 3:54 p.m.:

Police said they’ve arrested two people they believe are involved in a series of package thefts from porches in East Dayton Thursday.

The suspect’s identities were not released, however officers tracked the men down after a person reported a suspicious vehicle in their neighborhood.

The two men were arrested on John Glenn Road in Dayton and police said they found packages in their vehicle.

Doorbell camera captures thieves stealing packages from Dayton porches

INITIAL REPORT

A bearded man in a red hooded sweatshirt is stealing packages off of porches in Dayton. 

The man struck around 5:10 p.m. Dec. 14 in the 1600 block of Rosemont Boulevard. 

Minutes later around 5:24 p.m. he reportedly hit a second house around in the 3500 block of Cleveland Avenue. Both homes are within blocks of each other.

Track weekend rain with interactive weather radar

In both cases the victims were alerted via phone applications to activity on their porches — backed up by video of the acts, according to police reports.

At the first house the caper got away with three packages — containing a pair of Giani Bernini boots, Christmas ornament and a Nike gym bag — valued at about $100.

The 27-year-old woman whose packages were stolen on Rosemont told police she received a phone notification of activity on her front porch. She reviewed video that showed a man take three packages off her porch and get into the passenger side of a red convertible, according to the report.

3 to testify in murder case where Kettering teen was shot to death

The suspect in both cases is described as a white male with a beard, wearing a gray zip jacket, red hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans. He was riding in a red, two-door convertible.

At the second home, the suspect stole a package containing only batteries

The 29-year-old male victim said he uses the phone app Ring Door Bells.

UPDATE: 2 dogs shot in Springfield in ‘great condition’

Published: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 11:02 AM
Updated: Friday, December 15, 2017 @ 5:00 PM


            Springfield police are investigating the shooting of two dogs.
Springfield police are investigating the shooting of two dogs.

Update 5 p.m. Dec. 15:

The owner of the dogs who were shot this week in their own backyard said the dogs are in “great condition.”

Jarrad Flowers declined further comment but did tell a reporter that his dogs are recovering.

First report:

Two dogs were shot in Springfield, one of them in the chest.

Police responded about 6:45 p.m. Monday to a home in the 100 block of West Parkwood Avenue where they found the dogs named Diamond and Deuce in the kitchen, according to a police report.

READ MORE: Springfield man accused of robbing home with kitchen knife

“(The owner) advised that he heard three gunshots to the rear of his residence and when he went out to his backyard, he found that his two dogs had been shot,” the report says.

Diamond was shot twice, once on her left hip and the other on her back leg, the report says, and Deuce was shot once in the chest.

The dogs were still alive when police got there and the owner was seeking medical care for them, the report says.

“Diamond was alert, while Deuce was very sluggish,” the report says.

DETAILS: Springfield red light cameras to stay off until lower court ruling

Their conditions are unknown. The Springfield News-Sun left messages were for the dogs’ owner and police seeking an update on their conditions.

A neighbor told police she saw two men walking in the direction of the dogs before they were shot but was unable to give police a description of the men, the report says. A possible motive was not listed in the report.

3 QUICK CRIME READS

Caller to Springfield bakery: “We will come shoot this place up!”

Gun shot fired in home invasion, Springfield man sent to hospital

Champaign County teen accused of murder indicted in adult court

Published: Friday, December 15, 2017 @ 4:17 PM
Updated: Friday, December 15, 2017 @ 4:20 PM


            Donovan Nicholas. A judge has previously ordered his face not to be shown. Staff photo
Donovan Nicholas. A judge has previously ordered his face not to be shown. Staff photo

A teenager who claims to have multiple personalities was indicted in adult court this week.

Donovan Nicholas, 15, is charged with aggravated murder and murder in Champaign County Common Pleas Court.

READ: Donovan Nicholas Champaign County stabbing

He was 14 at the time prosecutors alleged he shot and stabbed 40-year-old Heidi Fay Taylor in April at his home. Nicholas has pleaded not guilty to an aggravated murder charge.

RELATED: Expert: Champaign Co. murder suspect has multiple personalities

He can be heard in a 9-1-1 call obtained by the Springfield News-Sun saying someone else inside him killed Taylor.

MORE: Champaign County 14-year-old competent to face murder trial

An arraignment hearing is set to take place in front of Judge Nick Selvaggio on Dec. 19 at 2 p.m.