Pike County killings: SWAT team searches for evidence in Rhoden family slayings

Published: Saturday, May 13, 2017 @ 7:33 PM

NEW DEVELOPMENTS in search connected to Rhoden family murders

A special weapons and tactics team joined a large-scale, cross-jurisdictional search effort on Saturday connected to the Rhoden family mass slayings last year.

Franklin County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Marc Gofstein confirmed to this news outlet’s media partner WBNS-TV in Columbus that its SWAT team helped search for possible evidence related to the April 22, 2016, execution-style killings of a teenager and seven adults at four homes near Piketon. He did not know whether any evidence was found.

RELATED: Pike County killings: ‘End this nightmare,’ Rhoden family survivors plea

“It’s correct that we were continuing our search today,” Dan Tierney, spokesman for DeWine’s office said this evening.

Tierney also said Franklin County joined the effort but did not say in what role. The search today in Pike County was related to the Friday searches in Adams County. Tierney said he was unable to comment on specific locations searched nor what law enforcement was seeking. He also said no arrests were made in connection to today’s searches nor the Rhoden slayings.

RELATED: Pike County killings: A closer look at the 8 victims

The searches are part of a joint investigation among the AG’s office and its Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations, the sheriff’s offices of Adams, Pike counties, and the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections special tactics and response team.

New police searches prompt questions on Pike Co. killings

Property searched Friday included a 71-acre property off Peterson Road at Ohio 32 in Oliver Twp., Adams County. The property is co-owned by 24-year-old Edward Jacob Wagner and George W. Wagner IV, 25. One of the victims in the slaying, Hanna Rhoden, had a 2-year-old daughter named Sophia Wagner, who was not with her when she was gunned down in her home. Sophia Wagner’s father is Jake Wagner but it’s not clear whether Edward Jake Wagner and Jake Wagner are the same person.

The victims in the April 22, 2016, case are: Christopher Rhoden Jr., 16, Christopher Rhoden Sr., 40, Clarence Rhoden, 20, Dana Rhoden, 37, Gary Rhoden, 38, Hanna Rhoden, 19, Hannah Gilley, 20, Kenneth Rhoden, 44.

Hanna Rhoden was found dead lying next to her other daughter, who was just 4 days old. The baby was one of three young children left unharmed.

A $10,000 reward is available and officials want to increase the amount, saying anyone interested in donating may call 1-855-BCI-OHIO.

911 call: Woman’s shooting death was accidental

Published: Sunday, December 10, 2017 @ 3:22 AM
Updated: Sunday, December 10, 2017 @ 9:28 PM

Woman's death investigated as homicide

UPDATE @9:30 p.m.

In a 911 call, a caller stated a gun accidentally went off, and a woman had been hit.

“We were trying to unload this gun, and it went off, and it hit her in the shoulder,” the 911 caller states.

A dispatcher asked the caller if it was an accident, and the 911 caller said it was.

>> TRENDING: Child survives double fatal crash in Greene County; victims identified 

The victim, Eileen Jones, 30, was taken to Miami Valley Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The coroner’s office said an official ruling has not been made, but a Dayton police report lists the dead as a felony homicide/murder investigation.

We are working to learn if a suspect has been taken into custody. 

This story will be updated as we learn more.

>> WHIO Doppler 7 Interactive Radar

UPDATE @ 12:30 p.m.

The death of a 30-year-old Dayton woman is a homicide, Dayton police said.

The shooting was reported around 1 a.m. in the 600 block of West Fairview Avenue.

The victim, who was pronounced dead at Miami Valley Hospital, has been identified as Eileen Jones.

There is no information about a suspect or whether any arrests have been made.

FIRST REPORT

There has been a reported shooting in the 600 block of West Fairview Avenue, per initial reports.

Crews were dispatched to the incident  just before 3 a.m. on Sunday.

We have a crew on the way to the scene and are working to learn more details. 

Local county now letting women inmates pick up trash on side of road

Published: Sunday, December 10, 2017 @ 2:58 PM
Updated: Sunday, December 10, 2017 @ 2:58 PM

Clark County female jail inmates now help clean trash from county roadways.

Women inmates at the Clark County Jail are being given the opportunity to pick up trash on the side of the road.

Previously, only men inmates were allowed to pick up trash while women inmates earned credit on their jail time by working in the laundry.

Clark County Sheriff Deb Burchett said gender roles are outdated and now the women inmates can labor on the side of the road, too.

MORE: Clark County sheriff’s ‘ghost’ unit targets drugs

“We are picking up trash on the side of the highway to make Clark County look better,” inmate Jennifer Scott said. “We do I-70, Route 4 and sometimes when the weather is to0 bad we will go to the dog shelter and help out.”

Scott is a non-violent criminal who was sentenced to jail after a probation violation. She said getting out of the jail for a few hours can be a big morale booster.

“I think its a great opportunity for some of the girls,” she said. “I think it could be a way for women to change their lifestyle.”

EXTRA: Drug dealers former items sold as sheriff’s auction

Scott said she has picked up a lot of beer cans and bottles on the side of the road and more clothes than she expected. The garbage on the side of the road is bad for the environment, Scott said, and an eye-sore for the county. Her experience picking up trash will lead to her being more thoughtful, she said.

“It is going to make me think twice before I throw stuff out my window,” she said.

READ: Clark County sheriff giving away dozens of bikes for free

Overall, Scott said the goal is to get out as soon as possible and be a better person after the stay in jail.

“When we walk out of here we will change our lives and be productive members of society,” she said.

Driver ‘jerked the doors out’ of Estridge Market in Dayton

Published: Sunday, December 10, 2017 @ 7:56 PM



Steph Muhlenkamp / Contributed
(Steph Muhlenkamp / Contributed)

The driver of a pickup truck “jerked the doors out” Sunday morning to the entrance of the Estridge Market, but the grocer was as busy as ever.

“We’ve always had good customers,” Estridge Market owner Stan Angel said.

A tarp covers the doorway to the business at 4240 Hoover Ave., and Angel said he hopes to get new doors installed as quickly as possible.

The doors were pulled off the frames around 6 a.m., according to a Dayton police report. 

>> Man in mask shows gun, robs local auto title loan business

A witness reported a driver backed up his pickup truck to the front doors, The suspect, wearing a sweatshirt with the hood up covering his face, got out of the truck for about a minute before getting back in.

It was then the suspect apparently attached a chain that secures the doors from would-be thieves to the back of his truck, according to the report.

The suspect then drove off, pulling the doors off the frame. One door remained in front of the store, and a second was found at the intersection of Hoover Avenue and Verona Road.

>> Young child survives crash that kills two family members

The doors were wide open, but nothing was found missing, the report stated.

Damage to the front of the store is nothing new, Angel said.

 “Someone drove through them,” Angel said of the doors, “we’ve had the glass broken a couple times this year.”

He’s not hopeful the suspect will be caught. “It’s sad the world we live in.”

>> East Dayton neighborhood copes with loss of its only grocery store

This market sustained damage that can be repaired, but last month another local market, Mor For Less on East Third Street, was destroyed by a massive fire. The owner said he hopes to rebuild.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Suspect faces murder charge after man found dead in Dayton home

Published: Friday, December 08, 2017 @ 1:31 PM
Updated: Sunday, December 10, 2017 @ 2:40 PM

Initial reports indicate medics and police were dispatched to a house in the 1100 block of Grafton Avenue on a report of a person down with an unknown problem.

UPDATE @ 2:40 p.m. (Dec. 10)

A 23-year-old Dayton man will be arraigned Monday following his arrest in the death of a Dayton man found shot to death in the upstairs of a Dayton house.

Markale Thomas was arrested Friday night and booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of murder, a Dayton police report and jail records show.

Markale Thomas(MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)

He is accused of fatally shooting 42-year-old Sayed Villanueva, who was found around 12:45 p.m. Friday by family members at the home in the 1100 block of Grafton Avenue.

UPDATE @ 9:10 a.m  (Dec. 10)

The man found shot to death in the upstairs of a Grafton Avenue home Friday afternoon has been identified as Sayed Villanueva, 42, of Dayton.

The preliminary cause and manner of his death is not available at this time. An autopsy is scheduled for today, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s office. 

UPDATE @ 4:09 p.m.:

Multiple people are being detained and questioned after a man was found shot to death in the upstairs of a Grafton Avenue home Friday.

The man was discovered by family members in the house in the 1100 block of Grafton shortly before 1 p.m.

The man’s identity has not been released.

EARLIER

A man has been found shot dead inside a home on Grafton Avenue in Dayton, according to regional dispatch traffic between officers. 

We’re working to confirm these reports and learn more on the status of the investigation.

An investigator from the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office has arrived at the scene.  

TRENDING: Police investigating body found in Great Miami River

Additional details have not been released from officers on scene and dispatchers. 

>>Latest Local News

Our crew remains on the scene and we’ll update this page as we learn more.