breaking news

Parents guilty of starving teen daughter

Published: Thursday, May 09, 2013 @ 3:23 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 09, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

A Harrison Twp. mother was sentenced to probation and the father pleaded guilty Thursday to two counts of endangering children after their 13-year-old daughter with cerebral palsy was found to weigh 57 pounds.

Susanne Casavant, 48, was sentenced to community control sanctions for five years, court costs, a fine and treatment after pleading guilty to two counts of child endangering. The girl’s father, William Nath, 38, pleaded guilty in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court to the same counts. Nath will be sentenced May 23. Officials said the girl is in the care of Children Services and is reportedly doing well.

The case evokes comparison to that of Makayla Norman,who had celebral palsy and died weighing just 28 pounds on March 1, 2011. Five people, including Norman’s mother and nurse, were convicted of crimes related to Norman’s death.

Judge Steven Dankof told Casavant that she was not to have any contact with her daughter. Dankof also said that if she violated the terms of her probation, she could face up to 11 years in prison.

A Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office report from Aug. 15, 2012 shows that a deputy made contact with a Dayton Children’s Hospital social worker, who said a 13-year-old girl who had cerebral palsy and had difficulty speaking was brought in with suspicious bruising and malnutrition.

A Children Services case worker reported that a Meadowdale High School employee said that when the girl got to school “she was very hungry and asked for another breakfast after eating her first serving then another after that.” The report said school officials were concerned since the girl had lost “several pounds” since the year before.

The deputy’s report said the girl was weak, skinny, had no muscle tone and had bruises on the top portion of both hands and a recently healed cut above her right eyebrow.

Nath told authorities he adopted the girl five years before and that he monitored her eating “because she eats too much too fast and he was concerned with her choking.”

Nath also was reported as saying he didn’t know how she got the bruises and said that she falls down a lot. Nath said the girl got the cut above her eye when she fell down the steps of the basement. Nath said he used a butterfly bandage to close the wound instead of getting stitches.

Teen returns stolen donation jar, apologizes to Springfield business owner

Published: Friday, June 23, 2017 @ 6:30 PM

UPDATE @ 2:40 p.m. (June 24)

A business owner’s plea to a thief seems to have paid off after a stolen donation jar was returned to the Beverage Depot, 706 S. Burnett Road.

Owner Mike Brooks tells us the person who took the donation jar returned it to the store today and apologized.

Brooks on Friday addressed the suspected thief through our news story Friday, imploring the male to come back, return the jar and “we can get this all straightened out.”

EARLIER (June 23)

A business owner said his “heart sunk” when he found out a teen swiped a donation jar full of money.

The Beverage Depot, 706 S. Burnett Road in Springfield, participated in a fundraiser to benefit research for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Mike Brooks said around 6:30 p.m. Thursday a teenage boy who appeared to be about 15 took the bucket containing $85.

“He walked in and next thing you know he grabbed it and ran out with it,” Brooks said.

Now, he hopes someone will be able to recognize the culprit. Brooks said he filed a report with the Springfield Police Division and posted information and surveillance video on social media about the theft.

“Whether he gets caught by the police or Facebook nation, he will be caught,” Brooks said.

To the teen thief, Brooks has this to say: “Young man, I know you’re suffering right now from drugs or something else to begin with, but if you could find it in your heart to do the right thing and come back and talk to me, even if you don’t have the money come back and we can get this all straightened out.”

Middletown man crashes into deputy cruiser, admits to drug use

Published: Saturday, June 24, 2017 @ 9:03 AM

Staff file photo

UPDATE @ 1:55 p.m.

Ohio State Highway Patrol Lebanon Post Sgt. Tom Bloomberg said charges will likely be filed in Middletown on Monday against a man who admitted to being under the influence of drugs when he crashed into a patrol’s cruiser early this morning. 

Adam Danner, of Middletown, allegedly ran a red light at Grand Avenue and Breiel Boulevard and struck the cruiser around 4:20 a.m. The cruiser then careened into opposing traffic and struck a southbound pickup truck.

The trooper and truck driver were treated by medics at the scene. Danner was taken to the hospital for treatment of injuries.

“There are going to be charges,” Bloomberg said. “There will definitely be OVI because he admitted to being impaired and obviously showed signs of impairment.”

As of this afternoon, Atrium Medical Center no longer has Danner listed as a patient.


A Middletown man is believed to have been on drugs when he crashed into an Ohio State Highway Patrol cruiser Saturday morning. 

The crash occured when Adam Danner, of Middletown, ran a red light at the intersection of Grand Avenue and Breiel Boulevard and struck the deputy cruiser around 4:20 a.m. 

According to a release from the Ohio State Highway Patrol, the impact sent the cruiser into the opposite lane of traffic and into a southbound truck. 

The trooper and pickup truck driver were treated at the scene, while Danner was taken to Atrium Medical Center with minor injuries. 

Deputies said while in the hospital, Danner admitted to using drugs before driving.

The crash remains under investigation by the Ohio State Highway Patrol, according to the release.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Mistrial declared in Ray Tensing murder case

Published: Friday, June 23, 2017 @ 2:14 PM

A judge declared a mistrial in the Ray Tensing murder trial.

UPDATE @ 2:15 p.m.

The judge in the Ray Tensing murder trial has declared a mistrial due to a hung jury after 30 hours of deliberations.

PAST COVERAGE: Judge issues gag order in Tensing’s trial

The jury of nine women and three men couldn’t agree on verdicts of murder or voluntary manslaughter.

The Hamilton County jury had deliberated some 30 hours over five days after getting the case Monday. Then-University of Cincinnati police officer Ray Tensing shot 43-year-old Sam DuBose in the head after pulling him over for a missing front license plate on July 19, 2015.  

The 27-year-old Tensing testified he feared he was going to be killed. Prosecutors said repeatedly the evidence contradicted Tensing's story.  

PAST COVERAGE: Prosecutor Joe Deters no longer assigned to Ray Tensing case

His first trial ended in a mistrial.  

The shooting is among those across the nation that have raised attention to how police deal with blacks.

FIRST REPORT 9 a.m. Friday:

Deliberations in the second trial of a white former University of Cincinnati police officer who shot unarmed black motorist Sam Dubose have gone on longer than in his first trial. 

Jurors in Ray Tensing's murder retrial will get back at it Friday, their fifth day. They've deliberated nearly 26 hours, compared to 25 hours over four days before a November mistrial was declared.  

The Hamilton County court administrator says the jury asked a question Thursday, and the judge sent an answer after meeting with attorneys. The question wasn't made public.

TSA agent stole from passenger's belongings, police say

Published: Friday, June 23, 2017 @ 3:50 PM

A Transportation Security Administration agent has been arrested after he was accused of stealing money from a passenger at Orlando International Airport in Florida, Orlando police said.

>> Read more trending news

Alexander Shae Johnson, 22, was arrested Thursday night.

Passenger Kathleen Duddleston entered the TSA checkpoint and was stopped for additional screening, police said.

While she was patted down, Duddleston told TSA security officer Michelle Metz that she couldn’t see her luggage, so Metz moved her closer.

Duddleston complained again that she couldn’t see her bag, and Johnson moved slightly.

After the pat down, Duddleston reached for her bag and could not find her money, police said. She said she noticed a bulge in Johnson’s left front shirt pocket. Duddleston asked Johnson if that was her money, and he said he got the money from the bank, police said.

The woman complained to Metz that she believed Johnson stole money from her. Metz contacted her supervisor.

Duddleston has been charged with third-degree grand theft.

TSA said in a statement to WFTV:

TSA has a zero tolerance for misconduct in the workplace.

The TSA immediately reported the allegation to OPD and we aggressively investigated the incident with our law enforcement partner. TSA officers represent a professional and honorable workforce that is trained to treat passengers and their personal belongings with care and respect. No exceptions will be tolerated. We immediately ended the federal career of this individual.