Officer shoots, injures pit bull that charges at him and letter carrier in Dayton

Published: Saturday, April 08, 2017 @ 7:33 PM

Dayton Police Officer shoots and injures pit bull

A Dayton police officer shot and injured a pit bull that charged at him Friday after also charging at a letter carrier.

Police were called around 12:40 p.m. to an animal complaint in the 1000 block of Dennison Avenue in Dayton.

A U.S. Post Office employee said she was charged by the gray and white pit bull, and that it was not the first time it happened, according to a Dayton police report.

The dog had a metal chain attached to an anchor, but it was not in the ground and the dog was not restrained. The dog was behind the home when officers arrived and began to bark at them. Police contacted the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center, but no animal control officers were immediately available, the report stated.

The two Dayton police officers used a loudspeaker to try to contact the dog’s owner in the house. Then, one kept an eye on the dog while the other attempted to knock on the door. While the officer approached the door, the dog trotted from behind the house, and then began to growl and started running at the officer, according to the report.

“I fired three shots at the dog as I was back peddling away from the pit bull. The pit bull was still charging towards me. I fired one more shot at the pit bull. The pit bull turned around and ran to the rear of the house,” the officer stated.

The dog’s owner, identified as Frances Daniel, had been away from home and returned shortly after the shooting. She and her two sons took the dog to get veterinary care for a gunshot on its back, according to the report.

An ARC van also responded, and the officer said there were several complaints against the owner and that the gray and white pit bull was deemed a nuisance, the report stated.

Daniel was cited for failure to control dogs, according to the police report.

HAVE A TIP? Call the 24-hour line, 937-225-2329 or email newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Body found behind abandoned house ID’d as Kettering woman

Published: Friday, September 15, 2017 @ 6:02 PM
Updated: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 @ 11:45 PM

FROM SCENE: Detectives respond to body found in Dayton

UPDATE @ 11:45 p.m. (Sept. 20):

The Kettering woman found dead in Dayton under suspicious circumstances is survived by two children.

The body of Deanna Prendergast, 39, was found Friday behind a vacant home in a neighborhood off North Main Street.

“When the public found her, they indicated there was some kind of door on her,” Dayton police Sgt. Creigee Coleman said.

READ: Man recovered from Wolf Creek in Dayton was focus of endangered missing alert

Officers found two steak knives and a phone close to Prendergast’s body. She had abrasions and it appeared she’d been there for some time, according to a Dayton police report.

The discovery shocked Prendergast’s neighbors in Kettering. One woman, who didn’t want to be identified, said Prendergast left her home a few months ago and had been seen panhandling at street corners in Kettering and Dayton.

READ: 2 motorcycle crash in Fairborn sends 3 to hospital

“Saw her on Main Street with the same sign, ‘homeless have two kids, anything will help,’ ” the former neighbor said. “It’s sad. My heart breaks for her children.”

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office has not determined a cause of death for Prendergast.

Download our free mobile apps for breaking news and weather

UPDATE @ 9:25 a.m. (Sept. 19): 

A woman who was found dead behind an abandoned house in Dayton has been identified by the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office as Deanna Prendergast, 39, of Kettering. 

TRENDING: Woman sues Ohio funeral home, alleges baby’s ashes were mishandled

Prendergast’s cause of death and results of her autopsy are still pending. 

UPDATE @ 11:11 a.m. (Sept. 18):

A Dayton police report revealed knives and “overdose evidence” were recovered from the scene where a woman’s body was found “covered in insects” and “in a significant state of decomposition” Friday afternoon.

The woman’s identity has not been released pending notification of family, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.  An autopsy on the woman had not yet happened on Monday morning, a spokesman said.

LOCAL NEWS: 5 overdose patients driven to Sidney hospital

Officers responded to a vacant house on East Hudson Avenue after someone called police saying someone was found deceased with a wooden door over her, the report said.

The woman was not clothed, according to the report.

A black cell phone and two kitchen-style steak knives were found near her body.  The report also said the woman “appeared to have multiple abrasions on her body.”

Due to the suspicious circumstances surrounding the woman’s death homicide detectives were called to investigate.

The coroner’s office has not determined how the woman died.

UPDATE @ 7:40 p.m. (Sept. 15)

Homicide detectives are leading the investigation into the death of a woman whose body was found early this evening face down behind an abandoned house in Dayton.

“At this particular time it is undetermined the way this person passed away,” Dayton police Sgt. Creigee Coleman said.

The body found is that of a white woman who appears to be between 35 and 40. She has not been identified, but Coleman said the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office will be performing an autopsy.

The woman was pronounced deceased at the scene by the Dayton Fire Department, Coleman said. No drug paraphernalia was found near the woman, and there was no obvious trauma to her body.

>>>More police and crime news

A witness said it appeared a door was placed on top of the body but Coleman said he was not able to substantiate that report. Also, it’s not known whether the woman died where she was found in back of 17 E. Hudson Ave. or was placed there.

“We need the help of the public, we need the help of witnesses to come forward to determine how this lady passed away,” Coleman said. “It’s not fair for this lady to die in this manner and nobody to come forward.”

UPDATE @ 6:55 p.m.

Dayton police Sgt. Creigee Coleman said the body found was that of a female. It is still too early to tell how she died, he said.

UPDATE @ 6:30 p.m.

The body found next to a vacant house did not die recently, according to a Dayton police call log. 

The deceased person found in back next to the garage is covered, according to reports.

FIRST REPORT

Detectives are responding to a body found early this evening in Dayton.

The deceased person was found at 17 E. Hudson Ave., according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.

The body was next to a garage behind DJ's Furniture, 2100 N. Main St.

The gender of the deceased person nor manner of death was immediately available.

We have a crew on the way and will update this report as we learn details.

Sheriff’s deputy arrested, accused of stealing cash, credit cards from crime scene

Published: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 @ 11:00 PM

An Orange County deputy was arrested on allegations he stole cash, credit cards and a wallet from a crime scene.
WFTV.com
An Orange County deputy was arrested on allegations he stole cash, credit cards and a wallet from a crime scene.(WFTV.com)

An Orange County deputy was arrested Tuesday on allegations he stole cash, credit cards and a wallet from a crime scene Sunday.

Deputies said the deputy, Joseph Haddad, responded to a burglary. The case evolved into a narcotics investigation in which the person who reported the burglary, Sammy Shehata, was arrested for allegedly possessing marijuana.

>> Read more trending news

Shehata asked deputies if he could gather his belongings and while doing so noticed his wallet, $1,750 and credit cards were missing.

Shehata said Haddad was inside the house when he went to retrieve his things.

“He even said, ‘Well, I don’t have it.’ It’s not like I asked him if he had it,” Shehata said.

An investigation was launched against Haddad, and Osceola County deputies discovered the cards had been used in their jurisdiction.

Shehata said that, when he got out jail, he had notifications from his bank that his credit cards had been used, so he reported it to the sheriff’s office.

Osceola County deputies assisted with the investigation, which led to Haddad’s arrest after a search of his home.

He was booked into the Osceola County Jail on a grand theft charge.

According to the charging affidavit, Haddad and his wife were seen on camera using Shehata’s cards at Target and Walmart in Osceola County.

The report said they bought a baby crib, baby monitor, clothing, household goods and other baby supplies.

When questioned, Haddad told investigators he accidentally took the wallet while processing evidence and that it wasn’t until he got to Target that he realized he was using someone else’s credit card.

Haddad was relieved of duty without pay and was stripped of his law enforcement authority.

He was hired by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office in April 2016.

Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings released a statement about the incident Wednesday.

“The facts in this case are troubling to me. The Orange County Sheriff's Office is not a place for a liar or thief to work. I am committed to ensuring that such individuals are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and that they will be fired.”

No charges in Mason hot car baby death: Mom ‘made a horrible mistake’

Published: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 @ 11:18 AM
Updated: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 @ 7:19 PM

WATCH: Warren Co. prosecutor discusses charges in Mason baby death

No criminal charges will be filed in connection with Sofia Aveiro’s death on Aug. 23 after the 14-month-old girl was left for nine hours in her mother’s car in the parking lot of the P&G Mason Business Center.

Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell said he didn’t believe the potential charges matched the legal standard.

“The closest charge that might be applicable is involuntary manslaughter … and the closest felony is endangering children, where parents create a substantial risk,” he said Wednesday during a press conference to explain his decision. “However, in both of these, the mental state of a parent must be reckless.”

“Recklessness is more than a mistake, even if it’s a deadly mistake,” Fornshell said. “And there’s no evidence that she acted with heedless indifference.”

Evidence mother Karen Osorio-Martinez knew Sofia was in the car would have met the heedless indifference standard, Fornshell said.

Osorio-Martinez and her husband still must live with the realization that her negligence caused the toddler’s death from hyperthermia, Fornshell added.

“There’s nothing any law is going to do more than they are going to punish themselves for the rest of their lives,” he said.

MORE: ‘She was adorable’: Neighbor recalls Mason baby left in mom’s hot car

Osorio-Martinez left their Mason home with Sofia, intending to drop her at day care, but forgot and drove to work at the corporate complex on Mason-Montgomery Road, arriving about 7:30 a.m.

Leaving work, she was walking to the car when her husband, Henrique Aveiro, called to alert her that Sofia was not at day care when he went to pick her up. The mother realized their only child had been left strapped into her car seat.

Osorio-Martinez called 911 about 5 p.m., and the child was pronounced dead after emergency workers arrived.

RELATED: Butler County nurse invents iPhone app to prevent hot-car deaths

Prosecutors found her actions failed to meet the legal standard for involuntary manslaughter or child endangering.

Both charges required more than negligence, Fornshell said.

“There is no doubt Sofia’s mother made a horrible mistake,” Fornshell said.” We found no evidence that the mother acted with heedless indifference.”

Fornshell said he talked with the parents on Wednesday morning and detected a “mild amount of relief.”

Osorio-Martinez, a native of Puerto Rico, was also upset having lost contact with family as hurricanes pummeled the island.

“This was something that was weighing heavily on her,” Fornshell said.

“They are extraordinarily emotional,” he added.

The parents could not be reached for comment, but P&G issued a brief statement.

RELATED: Federal law change could mandate warning systems to prevent hot car deaths

“We are continuing to support the family through this difficult time. We do not have additional information to share,” Tressie Rose of P&G Company Communications said via email. “We also do not have a statement from the family to pass along.”

Neither P&G nor Fornshell elaborated on his comments that the parents planned to work with the company to prevent other babies from dying in hot cars.

Police conducted an investigation, seizing her cell phone and car, as well as a shopping bag and purse-style bag to check for “any medications or illegal narcotics that could show an altered mental state of Karen Osorio-Martinez.”

On Wednesday, Fornshell said they also watched more than eight hours of surveillance video from the parking lot.

A search warrant affidavit filed by Mason police indicated Osorio-Martinez left Sofia inside her 2011 Nissan Cube for about nine hours. The rear-facing car seat was located in the back of the vehicle behind the driver’s seat, according to court records.

EARLY REPORT: Mason mother was running late in child’s hot car death

“Upon speaking with Ms. Osorio-Martinez, she advised that she was running late to work and usually drops Sofia off at daycare. It was also determined that Sofia’s father, Aveiro, attempted to pick up Sofia up at daycare and was advised she was not there, so he contacted his wife as she was leaving work,” the affidavit said.

On Wednesday, Fornshell said Osorio-Martinez wasn’t actually late, but was later than usual, after letting her daughter sleep in and working from home before heading toward the day care center.

MORE: Mason child left in vehicle for more than 10 hours

Fornshell said he sided with Ohio lawmakers who had considered toughening the law, but left the reckless disregard standard.

He questioned if Ohioans wanted to “criminalize negligence.”

Fornshell said most parents have been guilty of negligence on occasion, sometimes resulting in harm to their kids.

“Are we going to criminalize every time a child gets hurt?” he concluded.

New vehicles would be outfitted with a warning system to help prevent children from dying in hot cars under legislation passed with bipartisan support this month in the U.S. House.

If the bill becomes law, drivers turning off their cars would be reminded by an alarm to check the back seat for children. Thirty-nine children died of heat stroke, and one died of hypothermia, in cars in the U.S. last year, according to KidsAndCars.org, a group that tracks such deaths.

Judge revokes probation, orders teen to serve at least a year for role in Ronnie Bowers’ death

Published: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 @ 5:21 PM

Judge revokes probation, orders teen to serve at least a year for role in Ronnie Bowers’ death

A 15-year-old who violated probation the day he was released from a juvenile facility now must serve at least one year behind bars for his role in the shooting death last September of Ronnie Bowers in Kettering.

Malik Devon Harris in February pleaded guilty to one count of robbery, tampering with evidence and aggravated menacing in the 16-year-old Fairmont High School junior’s death. Today, his probation was revoked and Harris was sentenced to serve a year up to age 21 at the Department of Youth Services, according to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.

Releated: Murder indictment issued against Kylen Gregory in Ronnie Bowers’ death

Bowerswas fatally shot Sept. 4, 2016, after leaving AlterFest with a group of friends. One of his friends had an ongoing dispute with another group, and words were exchanged when they saw each other at the Alter High School festival. After Bowers and his friends left AlterFest, they were trying to drive away. Harris and two other teens were with Kylen Gregory, who is accused of shooting at the back of Bowers’ car, hitting him. Bowers succumbed to his injuries two days later.

Related: Teens who testify against shooter get maximum sentences

Harris served seven months at the Center for Adolescent Services. He was released Sept. 5 and placed on probation with electronic home detention. He also was ordered not to use social media. However, the same day he used social media at home and his probation officer reported it, according to the prosecutor’s office.

“Obviously, this defendant did not appreciate the leniency he received when the judge granted him probation and did not act responsibly in violating the terms of his probation the very same day he was released,” Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr. stated.