log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, November 04, 2017 @ 10:21 PM
Updated: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 @ 7:15 PM
NEW CARLISLE — UPDATE @ 7:15 p.m. (Nov. 7)
The director of an animal rescue said social media is the reason a stolen 4-week-old puppy was found.
“If there could be an Amber Alert for puppies, this was it,” Molly Murray, founder of Pawsitive Warriors Pet Rescue of New Carlisle.
A woman showed up Nov. 2 to volunteer at the shelter, founder Molly Murray said.
“She showed up at about noon that day and that particular day I didn’t have any volunteers here. I was here by myself taking care of dogs. So when she walked in, I was so excited to have help I didn't even think to have her fill out the paperwork,” Murray said.
The volunteer stayed for 10 hours. She washed and cleaned cages, until Murray ran to help a man who fell in the parking lot, “which gave her a few minutes alone so she took one of the cages she was cleaning out for me and a puppy, stashed it and out she went.”
Lendy is the puppy she took, but no one realized he was gone until the next day, when the puppy count went from six to five.
“I put the (social media) post out there and the community, there were all over it and it was just amazing the information people were able to obtain and send to me,” Murray said.
Lendy was found two hours away in Circleville. He was returned Sunday.
Murray was worried sick because he is still nursing and too young to be separated from his mother. He is doing fine now, she said.
The Clark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating, but no charges have been filed.
UPDATE @ 10 a.m: (Nov. 5)
The 4-week-old puppy that was taken from it’s New Carlisle shelter has been found safe.
Shelter director, Molly Murray, said the pup was found in a box in front of a Circleville GameStop store. A worker who saw the media coverage was able to care for the dog until Murray was contacted.
Time is running out for a nursing puppy stolen earlier this week from the Pawsitive Warriors Rescue of New Carlisle.
Shelter director Molly Murray has made desperate pleas for help and for a so-called volunteer to return the 4-week-old pup too young to not have its mother for nourishment and warmth.
The Clark County Sheriff’s Office tonight confirmed a report was made regarding the missing puppy.
There have been hundreds of comments and shares on social media, and several tips came in to our newsroom about the puppy's dire situation.
"Time is ticking for our precious baby boy. The longer time goes, the less likely he is to make it," Murray posted on the rescue's Facebook page.
Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 @ 6:37 PM
TROY — A Michigan man who led state troopers on a 55-mile chase from Piqua to Allen County in November was sentenced Monday in Miami County Common Pleas Court to 30 months in prison.
David Nehmer, 27, of Paw Paw, Michigan, was sentenced to 30 months in prison for failure to comply with the order or signal of a police officer and six months in jail for driving while under the influence. The sentences will be served concurrently in the penitentiary. Nehmer’s driver’s license was also suspended for five years.
Nehmer was arrested in the early morning hours on Interstate 75 near Bluffton. The pursuit began in Piqua after troopers received a report of a vehicle driving on its rims.
The pursuit of Nehmer — wanted on warrants out of Michigan — included speeds of more than 120 mph, troopers said.
Janna Parker, an assistant county prosecutor, said Nehmer was on parole in Michigan at the time of the chase that included what she called “insanely fast speeds” on tire rims. She said Nehmer put not only himself but multiple police officers and countless motorists at risk.
Judge Christopher Gee sentenced Nehmer, calling the pursuit “a horrific and very dangerous chase.” Gee said Nehmer was fortunate no one, including him, was injured.
“This kind of behavior cannot be condoned in any way,” Gee said.
Read trending stories from the Dayton Daily News:
Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 @ 5:57 PM
Updated: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 @ 6:30 PM
CLARK COUNTY, Ohio — The Clark County Sheriff’s Office says a woman’s 3-month-old daughter who died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome in 1984 was buried in the wrong grave at a family plot in Glen Haven Memorial Gardens in Bethel Twp.
Connie Rosellen told News Center 7 she discovered the mistake after the death of her stepfather. During his burial, cemetery officials reportedly struck her daughter’s casket and broke it.
Rosellen said she called deputies last week after arriving at the cemetery for her daughter’s disinterment and reburial and allegedly found the baby’s remains in what she described as a shallow grave, covered only by the blanket she was buried with, a tarp and and a plywood board.
The Clark County Sheriff’s Office says multiple deputies responded to the cemetery but they didn’t open a criminal case. According to their initial investigation, the cemetery followed all legal procedures.
Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 @ 9:44 AM
Updated: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 @ 11:58 AM
— A wrongful death civil lawsuit has been filed in the October Moraine police officer-involved fatal shooting of a Dayton man.
The lawsuit filed Tuesday in federal court by the estate of Jamarco McShann alleges a conspiracy and misconduct involving several Moraine police officers.
“Defendant Officers John Howard, Jerry Knight, Michael Cornely, Justin Eller, Brian O’Neal, and unnamed officers willfully and maliciously shot Jamarco Dewayne McShann to death, and/or failed to intervene to prevent the use of deadly force against him despite the duty and the opportunity to do so,” the lawsuit states.
On Wednesday, the attorneys that filed the suit had a press conference that included other community activists and mothers of other Ohio men who have been shot and killed by police.
“Jamarco McShann’s rights were violated,” said attorney Andrew Stroth, who filed the lawsuit. “He was unjustifiably shot and killed. There was no provocation. There was no threat of danger. The officers shot and killed him through the back of his vehicle. And the lawsuit outlines the allegations.”
Rev. Jerome McCorry, president and CEO of the National Congress on Faith & Social Justice, said: "We will fight for justice until justice is done.” Attorneys for the family also said it was “unacceptable” that the officers who fired their guns were back on full duty.
“The City of Moraine does not comment on pending litigation,” read a statement made Wednesday by Moraine law director Buzz Portune, “but is satisfied that all actions taken by its Division of Police and officers involved in the matter were fully compliant with all applicable law enforcement standards and appropriate under the circumstances.”
“The defendant officers otherwise acted both willfully, wantonly, recklessly, negligently, intentionally, and with malice and willful indifference in committing the acts alleged in this complaint, which resulted in the wrongful death of Jamarco McShann,” according to the suit.
The 23-year-old McShann, died from “multiple shotgun and gunshot wounds” after a confrontation with Moraine officers John Howard and Jerry Knight in the early-morning hours of Oct. 20, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.
The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation oversaw a probe into the matter at the request of the Moraine Police Division. That has been forwarded to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.
Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 @ 3:26 PM
TROY — A Piqua man pleaded guilty Wednesday to felony rape in a case heard in Miami County Common Pleas Court.
Dylan Cost, 21, initially faced one count of rape for alleged sexual conduct with a person under age 13, in August in Piqua. As part of a plea deal, that charge will be dismissed.
The new charge does not specify the age of the victim and carries a shorter potential sentence. He could receive up to 11 years in prison at sentencing April 30. The original charge carried a possible life sentence.
Judge Jeannine Pratt found Cost guilty and ordered a pre-sentence investigation.
He will be classified as a Tier III sex offender at sentencing. The designation will require him to register his address at the sheriff’s office in the county where he lives every 90 days for the rest of his life after prison release.