MTV's 'Siesta Key' star under investigation for shark-shooting video

Published: Sunday, August 06, 2017 @ 7:39 AM

14 Astonishing Facts about Sharks

Florida wildlife officials are investigatingviral video that appears to show Alex Kompothecras of MTV’s show “Siesta Key” shooting a shark.

>> See a news report that includes an edited version of the clip (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised)

According to the Bradenton Herald and New York Post, the video was circulated online over the past few days and has been drawing outrage. It shows a man wearing a red hat shooting a shark in the gills twice before laughing as it dangled helplessly on a fishing line. The man in the video is reportedly believed to be Kompothecras, who was previously pictured wearing the same “Make America Great Again” hat and posing with a dead hammerhead on MTV’s Facebook page.

>> VIDEO: Man shoots shark with gun, laughs as it bleeds

Kompothecras later deleted the video and other offensive images of wildlife from his Instagram page, telling People, “There are images of me, and I feel horrible.”

Loving life Siesta Key #SiestaKey

Posted by Alex Kompothecras on Friday, July 14, 2017

>> Man in shark-dragging video asks for increased police patrols

“I’ve made my share of bad decisions, and I feel horrible, but all I can say is that I would not make those decisions again,” he told People. “I was being stupid, but I’ve grown from that. It’s an eye-opener for me because it’s made me think long and hard about things I’ve done, and I’ve learned from that. This has all been a shocking experience.”

>> Watch: Shark dragged by boaters; FWC investigates

The video comes just after another video showing a shark being dragged to death by a boat went viral. Kompothecras reportedly has admitted to knowing the man responsible for that incident but said that he doesn’t “agree with what he did.”

>> Read more trending news

While it’s legal to shoot sharks in federal waters, it’s illegal to do so in Florida waters.

Pregnant woman killed by stray bullet near area popular with recreational shooters

Published: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 @ 4:20 AM

File photo. (Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images)
Robert Laberge/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images)(Robert Laberge/Getty Images)

Kami Gilstrap, 24, who was struck by a stray bullet during a family outing in Arizona’s Buckeye desert on Jan. 14, has died from her injuries.

>> Watch the news report here

Arizona's Family

Friends told AZFamily.com that Gilstrap was the wife of an airman stationed at Luke Air Force Base, and she had just learned she was pregnant with their first child.

Buckeye is an area popular with recreational shooters, Buckeye Police Chief Larry Hall told reporters. He said both the Buckeye Police Department and the Bureau of Land Management had officers in the area because of the high number of people out shooting.

“There’s tons of ricochets. And our incident from yesterday was an indication that the round that was fired at our victim, yesterday, came from a completely different direction than where everybody’s firing right now. There are no regulations out here,” Hall said.

Police said there were hundreds of people out shooting Jan. 14.

Gilstrap was shot in the chest around 2 p.m. A pickup truck sped to a group of officers with Gilstrap in the bed; a group of people performed chest compressions on her in an effort to deliver emergency first aid. Witnesses told the officers they heard three distinct shots but didn’t know where they came from. One of the bullets lodged in Gilstrap’s chest. She was rushed to the hospital in critical condition, but she died Jan. 15.

>> Read more trending news 

Hall said the area is filled with trash and debris, which makes it easy for bullets to ricochet and hit another shooter.

“And that’s where this whole situation out here is absolutely dangerous,” Hall said. “I would never bring my family out here, and I’d never bring my friends out here.”

Hall said investigators have not been able to pinpoint the shooter.

“The biggest challenge we’re facing in this investigation right now is that there are hundreds of shooters out here, and there were hundreds of shooters just south of where the incident occurred, which is a 1-mile stretch of area,” Hall said. “In trying to determine trajectory, and actually the round that hit her, it’s gonna be a very challenging investigation at this point.”

Others who frequent the Buckeye desert were shocked but not surprised that something like this happened.

“It’s something that would have been a matter of time, not if, but when it was going to happen,” said Hector Guzman, who has gone target shooting in the desert a few times.

Related

Video shows children leaving alleged 'torture house' in California

Published: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 @ 2:00 AM

Details Emerge About 13 Siblings Rescued From California Home

Following their parents’ arrest, the Turpin siblings finally tasted freedom.

>> Watch the news report here

A surveillance video shows the siblings exiting the house where they were allegedly held captive. One grown sibling is shown carrying one of the younger children while another sibling is seen running to the silver van in the driveway that would take them from the house which reports have described as a nightmare.

>> Hundreds of journals found in home where 13 siblings held captive, DA says

David and Louise Turpin were arrested after one of their daughters reportedly escaped from the home and called police. The children were found Jan. 14 at their home in Perris, California. The Turpin parents are accused of abusing their children for years.

>> Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

The parents allegedly forced the children to shower only once a year, shackled them to furniture and beat them routinely, Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said at a press conference. The Turpins also are accused of taunting their children with food. Hestrin said the children had not been to a doctor in four years and had never visited a dentist.

The 13 siblings, ages 2 to 29, have all been hospitalized. Hestrin said the oldest sibling, a 29-year-old woman, weighed only 82 pounds. He said a 12-year-old sibling was the weight of an average 7-year-old.

>> Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court

All of the siblings are being treated for malnutrition and undergoing other diagnostic tests.

“Circumstantial evidence in the house suggests that the victims were often not released from their chains to go to the bathroom,” Hestrin said at the press conference. “If the children were found to wash their hands above the wrist area, they were accused of playing in the water, and they would be chained up.”

The parents have each been charged with 12 counts of torture, 12 counts of false imprisonment, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult and six counts of child abuse. In addition, David Turpin has been charged with one count of a lewd act on a child under the age of 14 by force, fear or duress. They have each pleaded not guilty to all charges.

13 Siblings Held Captive In California "House of Horrors"

David Macher, a lawyer representing David Turpin, told ABC News: “What we would like the public to know is that our clients are presumed to be innocent, and that’s a very important presumption,” adding, “We’re going to provide a vigorous defense.”

Meanwhile, Hestrin said that when the siblings were not chained up, they were locked in different rooms and were not allowed to have toys. Investigators said they found many toys in the house; however, they were reportedly in their original packaging and had never been opened.

The Turpins are accused of starting the torture of their children when they lived in a rural area of North Texas near Fort Worth. Hestrin said the torture “intensified over time and worsened” when they moved to California in 2014.

“They were fed very little, on a schedule," Hestrin added.

>> Read more trending news 

The moved to a middle-class neighborhood in Perris, about 70 miles southeast of Los Angeles, where they home-schooled their children and allegedly kept them trapped inside the home.

A sister of Louise Turpin, Elizabeth Flores, told ABC the couple kept to themselves.

“This has been going on before they even had children. … They were real private, and they didn’t come around much,” Flores said.

“We begged to Skype (with) them,” Flores said. “We begged to see them.”

Mom accused in 'torture house' case kept watchful eye on son at college, report says

Published: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 @ 3:03 AM

Details Emerge About 13 Siblings Rescued From California Home

David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, are accused of shackling and torturing their 13 children, ages 2 to 29, for years. A new report underlined part of the relationship that the California couple had with at least one of their children.

>> Video shows children leaving alleged 'torture house' in California

KABC reports that despite a lacking home education, the eldest son was permitted to attend classes at Mount San Jacinto College, a local community college. However, Riverside County District Attorney Michael A. Hestrin said there were significant conditions to his attendance.

“Louise Turpin would accompany him, wait outside of the classroom for him,” he said. “When he was finished with class, she would take him home.”

>> Hundreds of journals found in home where 13 siblings held captive, DA says

Despite the alleged factors of his home life, the son maintained a 3.93 grade-point average after attending school for six semesters.

The college said in a statement that it was aware of the Turpin child’s past enrollment.

>> Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court

“We at Mount San Jacinto College are deeply saddened and horrified to hear of the allegations involving these children,” the college said. “Our hearts go out to the victims. MSJC will follow this story and will provide appropriate support from our institution.”

The college cited the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act in declining to give further information.

>> Read more trending news 

The Turpins are accused of beating, strangling, binding and allowing their children to shower only once a year. The father is also accused of committing a lewd act against one of the children.

The couple made their first court appearance last Thursday and face 94 years to life in prison if convicted of all charges.

13 Siblings Held Captive In California "House of Horrors"

Hundreds of journals found in home where 13 siblings held captive, DA says

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 6:30 AM

Details Emerge About 13 Siblings Rescued From California Home

We are learning more about the California home where police say 13 siblings were kept in subhuman conditions by their parents

>> Watch the news report here

Although the children in the home, ages 2 to 29, were only allowed to bathe twice a year and eat once a day, they were allowed to write in journals, authorities said. District Attorney Mike Hestrin said in a press conference that the children kept hundreds of journals, and he believes they will be “very significant” in the upcoming court case, the Desert Sun reports. Hestrin added that he thinks the journals will provide “strong evidence of what occurred in that home.”

>> Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court

Researchers are also interested in the journals as they detail the firsthand accounts of the alleged abuse. One academic told the Desert Sun: “There is a good chance that being able to write may have kept them sane. In an interesting way, this may have helped them come to terms with the bizarre world they lived in.” He even compared them to the journals kept by Anne Frank.

>> Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

The journals could prove valuable for prosecutors as they might provide evidence that could be used to cross-examine the parents, David and Louise Turpin. The Turpins are facing life in prison for a series of charges, including torture.

>> Read more trending news 

The journals have not been made public, and law enforcement officials are currently in the process of reviewing them.

The conditions in the home were unimaginable, authorities said. The children reportedly were beaten and chained to furniture. Neighbors recalled seeing them marching during the night. They were discovered when one girl escaped and managed to find a police officer, authorities said.