Middletown mother in jail after two children test positive for meth

Published: Thursday, February 15, 2018 @ 2:21 PM

A Middletown mother is in the City Jail after two of her children, 3 years old and 16 months, tested positive for methamphetamine.

A Middletown mother is in the City Jail after two of her children, 3 years old and 16 months, tested positive for methamphetamine.

Sarah Ramsey, 25, appeared in Middletown Municipal Court recently after she was charged with two counts of child endangering, permitting drug abuse and for probation violation. She pleaded guilty to child endangering.


NEW DETAILS: Police say Trenton man facing child porn charges showed pictures to girl

Ross student in custody for alleged social media threat

Middletown Municipal Court Judge James Sherron sentenced her to 26 days in jail for her probation violation and suspended the 180 days for child endangering and 90 days for permitting drug abuse.

“You have to do some time,” Sherron told her.

She also was placed a one-year probation.

Prior to her sentence, Ramsey’s drug screening came back negative. She told the judge that she had used drugs a couple of times, but they were “not an issue” she said.

“I can’t ignore the fact that you endangered those children,” Sherron told Ramsey.

She was led out of the courtroom and into the City Jail.

The children are being cared by their grandmother, Ramsey said.

On Jan. 22, Middletown police responded to Atrium Medical Center after two children were admitted to the emergency room suffering from methamphetamine exposure, according to the police reports.

The kids’ grandmother told police she noticed the kids were acting “very strange” in her home earlier in the day. The 3-year-old was running around the house and talking incessantly, the report said. The 16-month-old was continually crying and moving around, the report said.

Ramsey told police she gave the kids a drink out of a cup that was sitting on a table and she noticed a white crystal substance in the glass. She said her boyfriend, Austin Creech, 22, was there the night before and he sometimes uses meth.

Austin Creech, 22, of Middletown, was charged with two counts of child endangering, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.(Submitted photo )

Earlier in the day, police were dispatched to the 300 block of Crawford Street for a possible disturbance. Creech was sweating profusely, constantly wringing his hands and was unable to answer questions from the officers, the report said.


450 horses quarantined at Warren County Fairgrounds for herpes, but racing on at racino

911 call in Ross High School student shooting: ‘God, dear God’

Police said it was obvious Creech was having a “drug induced episode,” the report said.

At one point, Creech clenched his first and he was charged with disorderly conduct to wit intoxication.

While transporting Creech to the hospital, the squad pulled over and the driver got out and opened the back of the ambulance. Creech was out of his restraints, was attempting to jump out the back doors of the ambulance and he was fighting with paramedics, the report said.

Officers then tased Creech, and he was restrained again and taken to the hospital.

Creech later was charged with resisting arrest, and two counts of child endangering. Creech was found guilty of child endangering and his sentence was suspended.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Tipp City: Middle school student made threats against 2 adults, building

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 5:08 PM

The Tipp City Exempted Village Schools said Thursday that a middle school student faces misdemeanor charges including aggravated menacing and disorderly conduct after allegedly making written comments threatening intent to harm two adults within the building and to cause building destruction. 

Tipp City police were notified and are investigating the incident. There were no injuries. 

“The Tipp City Police Department does not deem the student to be an immediate threat to students, staff, or the community,” Superintendent Gretta Kumpf said in a written statement.

Kumpf said the district emphasized the police were confident there is no additional threat of harm from the incident. She said the student will remain out of school during the investigation. 

Police said the threats were found in a classroom, turned over to administrators and a suspect identified. The juvenile admitted to writing the threats, police stated.

Police said charges were filed after contact with Miami County prosecutors. The student is charged with two counts of aggravated menacing and one count of disorderly conduct.

Got a tip? Call our 24-hour monitored line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Sex offenders on college campuses

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 4:05 PM

Sex offenders on campus

An I-Team investigation has found local colleges and universities can accept convicted sex offenders as students but their classmates are unaware of those convictions. Daniel Schrand, the Sex Offender Registration and Notification officer for the Greene County Sheriff's Office, said offenders are required to notify the local sheriff of their status as a student. The official notification, though, ends there.

"The only person they have to tell is their local sheriff's office. If I have an offender who registers with me, his address, and goes to school in another county, he has to register the school with me and also the county that the school is in." 

RELATED: Pentagon often fails young sex assault victims on bases

According to Schrand, nothing in state law requires the school or the other students to be told. That lack of disclosure is a concern to some students, including Sinclair creative writing major Chris Fohl. He does understand why they would be allowed to be admitted. "That would speak a lot about Sinclair, second chances and all of that," Fohl said.

Sinclair spokesman Adam Murka said safety is the college's number one goal. For several years the school has had a specific policy on the conditions for enrollment for convicted sex offenders. "We understand we have an obligation to provide a safe learning environment and we have an obligation since we have a daycare here on campus," Murka said. Sinclair's Police Chief, John Huber, said there are restrictions on where a student with a sex-related conviction can travel on campus. "We do not allow them to be in classrooms with minors if that's a condition of their probation and parole. They are not to have classes in building nine which is where our daycare center is," Huber said. He added that Sinclair has not had a problem with any students with a conviction.

RELATED: U.S. passports will identify child sex offenders 

Schrand said he voluntarily notifies Sinclair, Wright State University and other schools if an offender who registers with him lists themselves as a student at a local college. While Schrand supports direct notification for the schools, he does not want to make it impossible for them to attend college. That way, Schrand says, they can get a job and turn their lives around.

Would students mind going to class with a convicted sex offender? Sinclair student Karissa Hammond said she would be cautious but not prohibit a person with a conviction from attending school. "They do deserve a second chance but it does not mean you have to be blind to it. It doesn't mean you cannot be cautious around people."

How many students with a conviction are attending local colleges and universities? The I-Team will break down the data and explore the policies of multiple schools as coverage of sex offenders on campus continues Sunday in the Dayton Daily News.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Former corrections officer pleads guilty to having sex with inmate

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 3:46 PM

Former corrctions officer pleads guilty

Saying it was the “best course of action,” the attorney for a former Butler County corrections officer changed her plea today to guilty to one count of sexual battery, a third-degree felony.

Attorney Mike Allen, representing Nakisha Newell, said his client admitted she “made a mistake,” so she changed her plea to guilty.

RELATED: Fired officer accused of sex with inmate has hearing continued

Judge Greg Stephens said Newell faces five years in prison and a $10,000 fine and must register as a Tier III sex offender. Newell will be sentenced on May 17.

Stephens ordered a pre-sentence investigation to review the facts in the case, but he said a 24-month prison sentence is the “likely” starting point.

Newell, 28, a mother of four from Monroe, was arrested Nov. 27, 2017 after a day-long investigation by the sheriff’s office. She was indicted in December on two counts of sexual battery and illegal conveyance into a detention facility for allegedly having sex with a male inmate at the Hanover Street corrections facility.

For her guilty plea, one count of sexual battery and illegal conveyance were dismissed, Stephens said. She is free on $5,000 bond.

Allen had entered a not guilty plea on Newell’s behalf prior to today’s hearing. This news agency was the only one in the courtroom.

Newell, who was employed as a corrections officer for 18 months, is accused of having sex with an inmate between Oct. 14 and Nov. 24. She is also accused of delivering a white iPhone to the inmate while he was in jail.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Feds: Postal worker on disability got $94,000, was in 35 motorcycle races

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 8:42 AM

Dayton-area postal worker on disability rode in 35 motorcycle races

A former Dayton-area U.S. Postal Service worker is alleged to have participated in 35 motorcycle races during an 18-month period in which he was disabled or on light duty, according to federal court documents.

Jerry French was indicted last week in Dayton’s U.S. District Court on counts of making false, fictitious and fraudulent statements to medical personnel and the postal service which led to Office of Workers’ Compensation Benefits of $93,971.42.

French is at least the eighth area postal worker to be alleged of federal crimes in the past few years.

RELATED: 7 other times regional postal workers have been in trouble with the law

Former West Carrollton postal worker Laticha Schroyer had pleaded guilty in a case where she was seen vacationing while injured, but she recently asked to withdraw her plea by bill of information.

No defense attorney is listed for French in federal court documents, and no dates have been scheduled in the case.

An indictment filed March 15 detailed how French allegedly injured his knee while falling on ice when he was delivering mail on Feb. 2, 2011.

French filled out a claim for disability pay and was off from work for a year until returning to one hour of limited duty per day, the indictment said.

The Department of Labor accepted French’s injury as a sprained knee in April 2011, according to court documents.

The indictment said French allegedly told two doctors that he could not perform most work duties, that his pain level was 8 out of 10 and that he was in pain 24/7.

WATCH: Video shows postal worker stuffing mail down sweatpants

A doctor amended his report to say an MRI indicated a meniscus tear and the Department of Labor approved an arthroscopic surgery, the indictment said.

The indictment said that in October 2011, another doctor performed the surgery and later submitted a report showing there was no meniscus tear and that the knee was normal.

On Dec. 1, 2011, French completed a medical history form at Kettering Medical Center in which he stated he had extreme difficulty doing tasks such as usual work, housework, hobbies, recreational and sporting activities, the indictment said.

RELATED: Postal worker pleads guilty to delaying, destroying mail

French said, according to the document, that he had “moderate difficulty” doing activities including putting on socks, doling light activities, getting in and out of vehicles and sitting for one hour.

The indictment said in March 2012, a doctor reported French’s pain representations were out of proportion to the pathology.

In July 2012, French told a third doctor that he could no longer ride motorcycles because of his knee injury, according to the indictment.

RELATED: Local postal worker pleads guilty to embezzling nearly $15,000

The document said in September 2013, a Department of Labor form he submitted limited him to zero hours for lifting weight, walking, climbing, kneeling, bending, stooping and operating machinery.

In October 2013, French was interviewed by special agents from the U.S. Postal Service Office of the Inspector General, the document said.

During that interview, French said he was physically unable to work, go up and down stairs, kneel, ride or race his motorcycles, pass a National Hot Rod Association physical, fill his nitrous oxide tank, drive a manual car or put pressure on his left leg.

The indictment said that from May 13, 2011, to Oct. 23, 2013, agents of the Inspector General observed French “participating in approximately thirty-five motorcycle races and one car race at various racetracks in Ohio and Indiana.”

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

The document also said agents saw French loading trailers, carrying equipment and moving metal tanks.

The indictment doesn’t explain why it was filed several years after the events and federal prosecutors didn’t respond to messages seeking comment.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Trending - Most Read Stories