Many call Shelby Co. shelter to adopt dogs from puppy mill

Published: Thursday, January 03, 2013 @ 3:55 PM
Updated: Thursday, January 03, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

Many people called the Shelby County Animal Shelter with interest in adopting dogs taken in a raid on a puppy mill in November.

The response follows stories about the puppy mill that aired on WHIO-TV in Dayton. The shelter is referring callers to the website for the Ohio Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, www.ohiospca.org.

The website lists about a dozen animal rescue groups in the Miami Valley that are handling the adoption process, officials said.

Some of the dogs still available for adoption have special needs and will require extra care.

Investigators shut down the mill Nov. 17, 2012, and rescued 241 dogs from the site.

Sheriff’s deputies served a search warrant at a residence owned by Dave and Rhonda Auton at 8350 Tawawa Maplewood Road. Sheriff John R. Lenhart said the Autons operate a business at that location called “Pedigree Pets.”

Deputies were joined by the Shelby County Dog Warden and veterinarian Dr. Lisa Nadasi.

They said the animals were in very poor health, and kennel conditions were determined to be unfit for housing animals. One dog was found dead.

Lenhart said he’s never seen conditions so deplorable.

“All the animals outside — all their water was frozen. I didn’t see any food anywhere,” Nadasi said in November. “Every (dog) we brought in here to feed is starving.”

Lenhart said the dogs were various breeds. The dogs were removed to several undisclosed locations to be checked out medically and housed.

The warrant was the culmination of a six month investigation prompted by citizen complaints. The three people charged in the mill case — the Autons and their son — took plea deals and will be sentenced next month.

Police: Elderly woman hears grandson stab her daughter to death

Published: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 @ 10:00 AM
Updated: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 @ 10:00 AM


            Police: Elderly woman hears grandson stab her daughter to death

An elderly Texas woman listened helplessly over the phone Friday night as her grandson stabbed her daughter to death, police said.

Dedré Jefferson and her mother, Ella Jefferson, were worried about Blake Jefferson, a 22-year-old student at Texas Southern University, according to police. ABC 13 in Houston reported that Blake had begun having “spiritual visions” and, on a recent Sunday, ran into a local church and interrupted services to tell the congregation about those visions.

Dedré Jefferson, a former longtime teacher who last year was elected to the Alief ISD’s board of trustees, had made an appointment for her son to talk to someone about his mental health on Friday, a family friend told the news station.

That appointment came too late.

The Houston Chronicle reported that Ella Jefferson, 73, got a phone call around 2 a.m. Friday from her 48-year-old daughter, who told her that Blake Jefferson was acting strange. She said she thought her son had taken some pills.

Ella Jefferson told her daughter to run away and find help.

“I can’t. He’s stabbing me,” Dedré Jefferson told her mother just before the phone went dead, the Chronicle reported.

Ella Jefferson called police and drove to the townhouse that her daughter and grandson shared. She also called the family’s minister, Gregg Patrick, who met her in front of the home.

“She was screaming, ‘I think he killed my daughter,’” Patrick told the newspaper.

When sheriff’s deputies arrived, they and Ella Jefferson found Dedré Jefferson’s body in the garage of the home. She had been stabbed multiple times.

>> Read more trending stories

Blake Jefferson was arrested for murder a short time later in a neighboring townhouse after breaking into the unit and hiding in a closet, the Chronicle said.

Family and friends are left trying to figure out why the young man, who had no criminal record, attacked his mother.

“At this point, we have no idea what the argument was, or if there was even an argument,” Harris County sheriff’s Sgt. Ben Beall told the Chronicle.

KHOU reported that Blake Jefferson sobbed loudly Monday morning during a brief court appearance in his case. He is being held without bond in the Harris County jail.

A candlelight vigil was held Monday night to remember Dedré Jefferson, who Alief ISD Superintendent H.D. Chambers described as a “proud Alief ISD graduate, former employee and current board member.”

School board members also released a statement in which they said they are “devastated by the tragic loss” of their friend and colleague.

“You will not find a bigger advocate for public education than Dedré Jefferson,” the statement read. “She made a lasting impression on everyone she met in the community. Her impact will be felt for a very long time in Alief. She will be missed by many.”

Jefferson’s funeral is set for Thursday. 

Fort Recovery teacher guilty of sexual battery

Published: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 @ 4:29 PM
Updated: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

After emotional testimony from the victim in day two of the trial of a former Fort Recovery teacher charged with sexual battery, the defendant changed his plea as part of a deal with the prosecutor.

Christopher Summers, 33, pleaded guilty to eight counts of sexual battery by a teacher or other person in authority serving in a school, according to proceedings today in Mercer County Common Pleas Court.

Summers was initially facing 47 felony counts, including two counts of rape, involving a student at Fort Recovery High School.

The victim, a 19-year-old Fort Recovery graduate, testified that Summers sexually assaulted her multiple times when she was a 16-year-old student.

Others who testified for the prosecution included a coach, former baseball player and a principal.

Summers faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison for each count, according to Mercer County Prosecutor Matthew K. Fox.

Fox said there’s a pending case against Summers in Darke County involving the same victim.

“I’m proud of the job the victim did today. She’s an amazing young lady,” Fox said.

Summers remains on house arrest. He is scheduled to be sentenced in Mercer County next month.

Ft. Recovery teacher gets more prison time for student sex

Published: Friday, October 11, 2013 @ 2:25 PM
Updated: Friday, October 11, 2013 @ 2:25 PM

A former Fort Recovery teacher was given another year in prison today after already getting 20 years in a sex case involving his student.

Christopher Summers, 33, will serve 21 years total for a relationship he had with a 16-year-old. In Darke County Common Pleas Court today, he was given one year on a count of sexual battery.

He faced up to five years on the charge.

Summers apologized today in court, telling the victim, the victim's family and his wife that he is remorseful.

The victim's testimony during the trial revealed a pattern by Summers of manipulation punctuated with sexual, physical and mental abuse and nearly 1,000 phone calls and text messages all hours of the day and night.

The victim, now 19, and her mother gave statements in court, as did Summers and his wife.

"I'm so sorry for what I did to her," Summers said. "She's entirely blameless, I'm not the monster they've tried to make me out to be."

His wife, Laurie Summers, spoke in support of her husband of eight years.

"I am completely convinced that Chris will never put himself in a position where this could happen again," she said. "If I thought there was even the slightest chance that this would happen again I would not be standing by Chris."

The victim's mother said the defendant can't be trusted "outside of a locked facility."

The victim said she has "much to say," but not the words nor "strength to put myself through it again."

"I will be forever changed by what Mr. Summers did to me. As time goes on I will be able to deal more and more, but the hurt will always be there," she said.

Summers will have to register as a tier III sex offender for the rest of his life.

Police make arrest in September homicide near bus stop

Published: Saturday, October 05, 2013 @ 6:11 PM
Updated: Monday, October 07, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

Police have arrested a teenager in connection of the shooting death of Take Gangloff, a 75-year-old woman, at a Dayton bus stop last month.

Take Gangloff, of Dayton, was found dead on the sidewalk near an RTA bus stop at the intersection of Norwood Avenue and Mound Street on Sept. 13. She had been shot in the head and left there.

Officials at the Dayton Police Department confirmed a 17-year-old male was arrested on Friday night and they are "sure he is the shooter." The identity of the suspect was not immediately released.

Investigators were able to identify the suspect after a successful tip from a citizen.

It's believed Gangloff was waiting for the bus when the shooting happened. Investigators said the homicide appeared to happen after a robbery gone wrong.