log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, December 04, 2017 @ 3:43 PM
— Days after a driver plowed into a Dayton home, leaving a 7-year-old boy and his mother dead, authorities have yet to reveal more information about a second person believed to be in the car or say who was driving and speeding away from police just before the crash.
The lone person charged in the case has a criminal record in Georgia, court records showed.
On Monday, the mailbox at 803 Lilac Ave. had been turned into memorial of stuffed animals and balloons. Plywood covered the southeast corner of the house where the two were struck by a Nissan Maxima that rammed into their living room just before 11 p.m. Wednesday.
Maria Davis, 39, was pronounced dead in the house, while her son Jerome was transported to Dayton Children’s Hospital, where he died, according to officials.
One suspect, Kesean D. Williams-Parks, 24, was taken into custody near the house.
Williams-Parks on Friday pleaded not guilty to carrying concealed weapons and aggravated drug possession charges. He remains in the Montgomery County Jail on a $500,000 cash/surety bond.
The bypass case will go to a grand jury, so there will be no preliminary hearing, according to Dayton Municipal Court officials.
An affidavit and statement of facts said Williams-Parks fled on foot from a Dayton police officer, but was apprehended after a short foot chase.
The affidavit said Williams-Parks was in possession of a concealed loaded Smith & Wesson .38 caliber handgun and methamphetamine and had a criminal history in Georgia.
In 2011, Williams-Parks was charged with a number of offenses in Clayton County, Ga., including burglary, drug possession and fleeing from police, court records there show. He was sentenced to five years in prison but served a shorter term due to a first-time offenders’ program.
The bodies of Davis and her son were still in custody of the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office on Monday.
It was the second tragedy within six months to touch the mother, a relative said.
Davis was forced out of another home by a fire and moved to Lilac Avenue with her two sons, said Davis’ second cousin Delores Woodall.
“They lost everything in that,” Woodall said. “And now this happens.”
On Wednesday night, an officer spotted a car on Hoover Avenue and watched it enter a driveway, according to police.
When the officer turned a spotlight on the car, the driver accelerated out of the drive and down the street, according to officers, who said no pursuit was initiated by the officer.
About four blocks away, the driver barreled down Kammer Avenue, past a stop sign at a T-intersection and crashed into the house. After the crash, the car was reported stolen to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.
Another juvenile related to the victims was in the house but physically uninjured, according to police.
Jerome Davis attended first grade at Edison PreK-6 School, said Marsha Bonhart, Dayton Public Schools spokeswoman.
Published: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 @ 5:50 AM
PERRIS, Calif. — Following their parents’ arrest, the Turpin siblings finally tasted freedom.
A surveillance video shows the siblings exiting the house where they were allegedly held captive. One grown sibling is shown carrying one of the younger children while another sibling is seen running to the silver van in the driveway that would take them from the house which reports have described as a nightmare.
David and Louise Turpin were arrested after one of their daughters reportedly escaped from the home and called police. The children were found Jan. 14 at their home in Perris, California. The Turpin parents are accused of abusing their children for years.
The parents allegedly forced the children to shower only once a year, shackled them to furniture and beat them routinely, Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said at a press conference. The Turpins also are accused of taunting their children with food. Hestrin said the children had not been to a doctor in four years and had never visited a dentist.
The 13 siblings, ages 2 to 29, have all been hospitalized. Hestrin said the oldest sibling, a 29-year-old woman, weighed only 82 pounds. He said a 12-year-old sibling was the weight of an average 7-year-old.
All of the siblings are being treated for malnutrition and undergoing other diagnostic tests.
“Circumstantial evidence in the house suggests that the victims were often not released from their chains to go to the bathroom,” Hestrin said at the press conference. “If the children were found to wash their hands above the wrist area, they were accused of playing in the water, and they would be chained up.”
The parents have each been charged with 12 counts of torture, 12 counts of false imprisonment, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult and six counts of child abuse. In addition, David Turpin has been charged with one count of a lewd act on a child under the age of 14 by force, fear or duress. They have each pleaded not guilty to all charges.
David Macher, a lawyer representing David Turpin, told ABC News: “What we would like the public to know is that our clients are presumed to be innocent, and that’s a very important presumption,” adding, “We’re going to provide a vigorous defense.”
Meanwhile, Hestrin said that when the siblings were not chained up, they were locked in different rooms and were not allowed to have toys. Investigators said they found many toys in the house; however, they were reportedly in their original packaging and had never been opened.
The Turpins are accused of starting the torture of their children when they lived in a rural area of North Texas near Fort Worth. Hestrin said the torture “intensified over time and worsened” when they moved to California in 2014.
“They were fed very little, on a schedule," Hestrin added.
The moved to a middle-class neighborhood in Perris, about 70 miles southeast of Los Angeles, where they home-schooled their children and allegedly kept them trapped inside the home.
A sister of Louise Turpin, Elizabeth Flores, told ABC the couple kept to themselves.
“This has been going on before they even had children. … They were real private, and they didn’t come around much,” Flores said.
Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 10:26 AM
ABC News reported that the parents were moving from California to Oklahoma days before they were arrested and charged with torture and child endangerment, citing multiple unnamed sources.
David Turpin was getting a job transfer with a defense contractor he was working with, according to ABC News. Moving boxes were reportedly found at the residence. The report says the family has moved to multiple places over the years, including a home in Texas.
The couple’s 17-year-old daughter escaped the home early Jan. 14 and called 911, saying her 12 siblings were “being held captive” at a Perris, California, residence by her parents.
The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department said in a Jan. 15 news release that the siblings, ranging in ages from 2 to 29, “appeared to be malnourished and very dirty.” Six of the siblings are minors.
Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, were charged with 12 counts of torture and a lewd act on a child by force or fear of duress. The siblings could only have one meal a day and take one shower a year. Hestrin said at a news conference that the siblings were able to write in journals all the time, which will provide “strong evidence of what occurred in that home.”
Two dogs were found by authorities in the home, according to city spokesman Joe Vargo. Vadrgo said in a statement that the two Maltese terrier dogs were in much better condition than the siblings.
“The animals, one white and one black, appear healthy and friendly and are leash-trained, according to Christina Avila, a senior animal control officer,” a news release from the City of Perris said.
Published: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 @ 4:20 AM
Friends told AZFamily.com that Gilstrap was the wife of an airman stationed at Luke Air Force Base, and she had just learned she was pregnant with their first child.
Buckeye is an area popular with recreational shooters, Buckeye Police Chief Larry Hall told reporters. He said both the Buckeye Police Department and the Bureau of Land Management had officers in the area because of the high number of people out shooting.
“There’s tons of ricochets. And our incident from yesterday was an indication that the round that was fired at our victim, yesterday, came from a completely different direction than where everybody’s firing right now. There are no regulations out here,” Hall said.
Police said there were hundreds of people out shooting Jan. 14.
Gilstrap was shot in the chest around 2 p.m. A pickup truck sped to a group of officers with Gilstrap in the bed; a group of people performed chest compressions on her in an effort to deliver emergency first aid. Witnesses told the officers they heard three distinct shots but didn’t know where they came from. One of the bullets lodged in Gilstrap’s chest. She was rushed to the hospital in critical condition, but she died Jan. 15.
Hall said the area is filled with trash and debris, which makes it easy for bullets to ricochet and hit another shooter.
“And that’s where this whole situation out here is absolutely dangerous,” Hall said. “I would never bring my family out here, and I’d never bring my friends out here.”
Hall said investigators have not been able to pinpoint the shooter.
“The biggest challenge we’re facing in this investigation right now is that there are hundreds of shooters out here, and there were hundreds of shooters just south of where the incident occurred, which is a 1-mile stretch of area,” Hall said. “In trying to determine trajectory, and actually the round that hit her, it’s gonna be a very challenging investigation at this point.”
Others who frequent the Buckeye desert were shocked but not surprised that something like this happened.
Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 3:08 PM
SPRINGFIELD — A Springfield man accused of attempted murder for a 2016 shooting on Race Street allegedly gave police officers a fake name to avoid charges, according to a police report.
Dantez Craigmiles, 33, pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder, aggravated burglary and falisfication in the Clark County Municipal Court on Tuesday morning. Bond was set at $500,000.
On Nov. 1 of 2016, around 11:50 p.m. officers and medics were dispatched to a home in the 100 block of South Race Street on a report of a man being shot.
Craigmiles allegedly entered the home without permission and pointed a gun at two witnesses, according to a police report. A man then came out of the bedroom and punched Craigmiles, who shot the man, Kenneth Adams in the chest, the report said. As the man fell to the ground, the suspect walked over and stood over top of Mr. Adams and fired another shot, striking him in the left side of his head, according to the report.
At about 7:45 p.m. Monday, police stopped a vehicle after it had turned the wrong way onto a one-way street. The passenger in the vehicle identified himself as “Jay Bellew,” but dispatch could not find the name in records. The man allegedly also gave his birthdate at “11-6-7-91,” the report said. However, officers were able to identify Craigmiles with pictures and a list of his known tattoos.
While being taken into custody, officers found four bundles of an unknown off-white substance and an unlabeled pill bottle containing 30 Ambien pills in his jacket pocket, the report said. The drugs were sent to the lab for testing, according to the report.
Craigmiles was placed in the Clark County Jail.
5 QUICK CRIME READS