Man tells police he shot himself after gun jammed

Published: Sunday, March 29, 2015 @ 12:10 PM
Updated: Sunday, March 29, 2015 @ 12:10 PM

A man said he accidentally shot himself when a gun he bought on the street jammed.

Police met up with the 36-year-old after he showed up at Miami Valley Hospital Saturday afternoon, according to the Dayton police report.

He was treated for a gunshot wound to his upper left arm. He told police it happened in a creek area off Norris Drive, according to the report.

The man reported he went there to test fire a gun he had bought from a man named, “Crack Head Dave,” according to the report.

The gun jammed on him, and it discharged as he worked to dislodge the bullet, according to the report.

Police said the man reported he threw the gun into the creek and had his wife drive him to the hospital.

Officers never found the gun and police did not pursue charges.

Middletown police chief wants to charge addicts who OD in public

Published: Monday, March 27, 2017 @ 6:00 AM

Residents in one Butler County city who overdose on opioids in public should be arrested immediately, according to its police chief.

Middletown Police Chief Rodney Muterspaw said the number of overdoses in the city delays police response times and sometimes induces panic, especially with more drug overdoses happening in fast-food restaurant bathrooms and retail parking lots.

“It’s like they’re getting a free pass,” he told the Journal-News. “The squad arrives on the scene, takes them to the emergency room, they live and they come out and do it again.”

Heroin ‘eating’ Middletown’s public safety services

Earlier this month after a woman was found passed out in the bathroom of a fast-food restaurant, two men were arrested for drug possession just hours later at the same restaurant.

“When someone overdoses in a store parking lot or a restaurant bathroom, it causes alarm to everyone there,” Muterspaw said. “There is no accountability. Jailing drug addicts isn’t the answer. Time to hold people more accountable. We have to force them into treatment.”

He would like to charge those people with inducing panic, then withdraw the charge if they’re treated for the drug addiction.

Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones agrees with Muterspaw that jail is not the answer for addicts.

“These people are not afraid of death,” Jones said. “The fear of jail will mean nothing to them.”

MORE: Drug overdoses remain leading cause of death in Butler County

While the heroin epidemic is a drain on law enforcement and emergency services, charging those who do not get treatment with a misdemeanor is just going to fill up the county jail with more drug addicts, Jones said.

“I don’t have space for all the violent criminals. I don’t need to fill the jail up with heroin users and people who smoke pot,” he said. “It won’t work. People get out of my jail and shoot up in the parking lot. Getting arrested just isn’t something they care about. I call it ‘happy talk.’ It may make people feel better, but it just doesn’t work.”

The sheriff said he believes catching potential users early and teaching them not to use is a better option.

“But there is no cure right now,” Jones said, adding that with enough people dying, the popularity of the drug and it’s abuse will hopefully wane.

Middletown City Manager Doug Adkins estimated as much as 90 percent of public safety services are connected to fighting heroin and that commitment takes away from police officers and firefighters completing other responsibilities.

“It’s eating our public safety services alive,” he said last week during the city’s ninth Heroin Summit.

MORE: ‘We have a rampant killer in our community,’ coroner says

Elsewhere in Southwest Ohio, residents who overdose on opioids may face drug possession charges if they don’t seek treatment, according to a new policy from the Clark County Prosecutor’s Office.

Prosecutor Andy Wilson and local law enforcement officials met last week to discuss how to combat the opioid epidemic, which has caused city and county EMS crews to respond to more than 325 overdoses this year as of March 6.

“It takes a toll on the system,” he said. “… We’ve got to do something to force these folks into treatment.”

The new policy will educate people who overdose on their requirements for immunity as part of the recently passed Good Samaritan Law.

Gov. John Kasich signed the 9-1-1 Good Samaritan law in September, which provides immunity to people seeking medical assistance for a drug overdose, allowing them to report or seek help without charges.

People who experienced a drug overdose or called for help for another person qualify for immunity under the law — if they seek a screening and received a referral for addiction treatment from a local provider.

Currently people who overdose can walk out of the emergency room with no future requirements for treatment, Wilson said.

“It’s just not working, ” he said. “You have people who are signing out against medical advice from the ER and they’re back within a day, two days or three days and they’re overdosing again … We can’t keep doing the same thing with no results.”

Muterspaw agreed a new option is needed and has started to meet with leaders in neighboring communities to discuss how they’re handling drug overdoses and how to reduce the number of repeat offenders.

“It’s like, ‘Groundhog Day’ around here,”Muterspaw said about the opioid epidemic, which has resulted in 185 arrests so far this year and 800 arrests last year in Middletown.

“We just keep doing the same thing over and over. There is a lot of frustration there,” he said.

Police: Gunman shoots 6, including 2 children, in Florida

Published: Monday, March 27, 2017 @ 9:13 AM

Police: Gunman shoots 6, including 2 children, in Florida

Six people were shot early Monday in a Florida neighborhood, the Sanford Police Department said.

The shooting was reported shortly before 6:30 a.m. at a home on Hays Drive in Sanford, police said.

>> Read more trending news

Investigators said a gunman went to the home of someone he knows and shot two adults, an 8-year-old boy and a 7-year-old boy.

Posted by Jeff Levkulich WFTV on Monday, March 27, 2017

One adult died. The other adult and the two children were taken to a hospital in critical condition, investigators said.

Detectives said the gunman then fled the home and randomly shot two bystanders in the roadway, critically wounding them both.

An officer who was in the area was able to subdue the gunman, who was arrested, police said.

Authorities did not immediately identify the victims or the suspected gunman.

Investigators said the initial shooting appeared to be domestic in nature.

No other details were given.

Teen who threw newborn baby out window won't serve any jail time

Published: Monday, March 27, 2017 @ 6:20 AM

Teen who threw newborn baby out window won't serve any jail time

Antonia Lopez, a Nebraska teen who admitted to throwing her newborn baby out the window, won't be serving any jail timethe Omaha World-Herald reports.

On Friday, Douglas County Juvenile Court Judge Christopher Kelly ordered Lopez to be placed on probation, live in a group home, take part in individual and family therapy, delete her Facebook account and perform 50 hours of community service, according to the World-Herald.

In September, Lopez, 16, reportedly gave birth to a baby girl in her apartment, then threw the baby out the window. She then texted her boyfriend, “It was a girl by the way,” and admitted her crime to her mother, the World-Herald reported. She told police that she was unaware that she was pregnant and thought she was just having her period.

>> Read more trending news

An autopsy revealed that the infant, who later died, was still breathing at the time the blunt-force injuries were sustained. It also showed that Lopez had been pregnant for 25 to 28 weeks. 

“She’s coping the best she can,” Lopez’s defense attorney Rebecca McClung said, adding that her client thought the child was a stillborn. “The mother is coping the best she can. The grandmother is coping the best she can.”

Lopez was initially charged as an adult with felony child abuse resulting in death, which could have meant 20 years in prison. However, in February, her case was transferred to juvenile court after her mental state and lack of criminal record were considered, the World-Herald reported.

She reportedly was ordered to live in a group home because judges were concerned that she didn’t understand the severity of her actions. The Facebook deletion order stemmed from her receiving numerous negative comments on her page following her arrest, the World-Herald reported.

Cincinnati club shooting: Dispute ‘escalated into shots being fired’

Published: Sunday, March 26, 2017 @ 7:15 PM

The investigation into the shooting inside a crowded Cincinnati night club that killed one and wounded 15 others early Sunday morning will take a long time, said Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley.

No arrests had been made as of Sunday evening, and Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac couldn’t confirm if any of the possible shooters were among those transported to the hospital.

RELATED: Cincinnati’s deadly night club shooting: What we know now

Around 1:30 a.m. Sunday, the city’s emergency dispatch center began receiving calls of shots being fired at the Cameo Night Club at 4601 Kellogg Ave. in the city’s East End.

Isaac said the scene was chaotic as a couple hundred people were at the “very large establishment,” roughly 17,200 square feet.

O’Bryan Spikes, 27, was shot to death during the altercation. At least five people remained hospitalized late Sunday, two of whom were in critical condition and three listed in stable condition, according to the Associated Press. Isaac said Sunday morning that some of the other gunshot victims had already been treated and released from the hospital.

GALLERY: Photos from the scene of deadly club shooting

“What we know at this point in the investigation is several local men got in some type of dispute inside the bar and it escalated into shots being fired from several individuals,” he said at a late Sunday morning press conference.

Cincinnati Police Sgt. Daniel Hils, president of the Cincinnati Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 69, said there were two factions involved in the shooting, and “for whatever reason went at each other last night and it turned to gunfire.”

“When you think of how brazen that is, there were four off-duty policemen working a detail out here in the parking lot, and it’s a very cold-hearted and cruel thing to shoot anybody to begin with, when you think about firing off a weapon in a crowded night club like this, you’re talking about a very high probability that people were shot who were not intended targets,” Hils said.

Investigators have ruled out the incident being an act of terrorism, but Cranley said that makes no difference to shooting victims and their family.

RELATED: Police chief: More than 1 shooter responsible for deadly club shooting

“They’ve been terrorized by gun violence,” the mayor said. “It’s important for everyone to understand that people were just going to have a good time and ended up getting shot. That’s totally unacceptable. This is a country where you should be able to go out and have a good time and not be in fear of getting shot.”

Isaac said the club’s management performs the internal security — including frisking and using a hand-held wand metal detector — but still firearms were brought into the building. Four off-duty police officers are contracted by the club’s owner to patrol the parking lot. They were not inside the building or at the door.

This isn’t the first shooting at the bar, according to the Associated Press. There was a shooting inside the club on New Year’s Day in 2015 and a shooting in the parking lot that September, Cincinnati City Manager Harry Black said.

RELATED: 3 things to know about Cameo Night Club

Cameo Night Club is surrounded by businesses, including a couple of nearby gas stations, a used auto parts junk yard across the street and the Hitching Post, neighborhood restaurant just to the west. Locals say the area just east of downtown Cincinnati along the Ohio River is generally quiet after hours, outside the activity at the night club and the few gas stations.

The club caters to the 18 and over “college crowd on Friday nights and the 21 and over “grown and sexy” crowd on Saturday nights, according to the club’s Facebook page.

Mauricio Thompson, a patron of Cameo, told our news partners, WCPO 9 On Your Side, that he believed upward of 20 shots were fired early Sunday morning. He said there was a fight and cries for security to intervene before the first shots rang out.

Then chaos ensued as people rushed to escape the danger, he said.

“Once I got outside, people coming out bloody, gunshot wounds on them, some of their friends carrying them to the car, rushing them to the hospital,” Thompson told WCPO.

Robert Woods, of Fairfield, said the shooting didn’t make any sense, and “it’s just not safe anymore.”

“It’s a shame you can’t go out dancing, out to the club without there always being some trouble,” he said. “That’s the reason why I tell my kids to stay away from those clubs. It wasn’t like when I grew up. When I grew up, you could go out dancing and have a nice time and it’s over. But these days, these kids got guns and no, I don’t want my kids to have no part of that.”

Amanda Beck, who works at the Hitching Post, first heard about the shooting when her uncle, who works with her, texted her at around 6:30 a.m. Sunday.

“I was taken aback a little bit,” she said. “It was shocking because I didn’t understand why someone would shoot somebody … we just need to be better people.”

Beck said she feels “pretty safe” working along side her family, and they close by 8:30 p.m. “Usually the trouble happens a lot later,” she said, though she added it’s “definitely concerning” no one has been arrested. “But I know we have great police and everyone is doing everything they can, so I feel as safe as I possibly can.”

Cranley said he spoke with Ohio Gov. John Kasich Sunday morning. Kasich posted two tweets Sunday morning indicating he was “saddened” by the shooting and had “instructed our administration to offer any assistance the state can provide.”

The Cincinnati Police Department is being assisted in the investigation by the local offices of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the FBI.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 513-352-3040.