Man sentenced to prison for stabbing attack on ex-girlfriend

Published: Monday, October 02, 2017 @ 11:18 AM

            David P. Boyea
David P. Boyea

A Troy man who forced his way into a hotel room and stabbed a former girlfriend and her boyfriend was sentenced Monday, Oct. 2, to 10 years in prison by a Miami County judge who called his behavior “disturbing” and “perverse.”

David Boyea, 33, pleaded guilty Aug. 17 to two counts of attempted murder and one count of aggravated burglary in Common Pleas Court.

TRENDING: Las Vegas shooting: Live updates

The plea came as part of a deal in which prosecutors agreed to recommend the 10-year sentence. He could have received up to 33 years in prison.

Boyea was charged in the Feb. 6 stabbing of a 33-year- old Troy woman and a 30-year-old man who were staying at a local motel. They told police someone knocked on the door, then forced his way in before stabbing both of them in the early morning hours.

RELATED: Man indicted in Troy hotel stabbings

They were taken to Miami Valley Hospital by CareFlight and treated for serious injuries.

The case was one of the worst he’s seen in his years with the prosecutor’s office, said Paul Watkins, assistant prosecutor. He said Boyea stabbed the man 22 times and the woman six times, one close to her heart. Without the quick response by Troy paramedics and police, “I’m not sure either would be here today,” Watkins said.

Judge Jeannine Pratt said Boyea showed no remorse and caused serious harm to both victims.

She said Boyea’s decision to take out his frustration after being “jilted” by the girlfriend was both disturbing and perverse.

Troy police said all three worked at the Troy Burger King and that the woman had ended a relationship with Boyea.

He received credit for 239 days served and was ordered to pay court costs.

Body of missing 6-year-old boy found in dumpster

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 9:33 AM

VIDEO: Body of Missing 6-Year-Old Found In Dumpster

The body of a 6-year-old boy with autism, who was reported missing near Lynnwood, Washington, was found in a dumpster early Tuesday.

The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office said Dayvid Pakko was a victim of a homicide. A 19-year-old man, who is a relative of the boy, has been taken into custody.

>> Read more trending news

Detectives were processing the crime scene Tuesday morning and are expected to be working for several hours

Dayvid was reported missing at about 5 p.m. Monday.

Crews searched for the boy in the area of 44th Avenue West between 156th Street and State Route 99, just outside Lynnwood city limits.

According to the sheriff’s office and relatives, Dayvid stayed home sick from school Monday. He was last seen at about 2:30 p.m.

The sheriff's office said Dayvid was under adult supervision while he was at home, but did not say who he was with.

Dozens of search and rescue personnel, along with civilian volunteers combed the area.

Reward offered in search for man suspected of raping, killing baby

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 2:20 AM
Updated: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 10:06 AM

Police Looking For Man Who Killed, Sexually Assaulted Baby

Police in eastern Ohio are looking for a man suspected of raping and killing a baby girl.

According to WFMJ, the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information that leads to the arrest of Joshua Gurto.

>> Read more trending news

Gurto is accused of raping and killing a 13-month-old girl in Ohio’s Ashtabula County. He is wanted by the U.S. Marshals Service and the Conneaut Police Department on aggravated murder and rape charges, WFMJ reported.

The child, identified by authorities as Sereniti Jazzlynn-Sky Blankenship-Sutley, died Oct. 7, according to WJW. Citing the Ashtabula County Coroner’s Office, the news station reported that she suffered blunt force trauma to her head and trunk.

Investigators told WJW that Gurto is the boyfriend of the baby’s mother. He has not been seen since shortly after Gurto’s death, when police in Conneaut released him from custody, WKYC reported.

“He was very cooperative through the whole initial process,” Conneaut police Det. Mike Sullivan told the news station. “We opted to release him. There were no charges to keep him at the time.”

Charges were filed against Gurto last week.

“She was a precious girl,” Sereniti’s mother, Kelsie Blankenship, told WKYC. “She brought me a reason to live.”

In an obituary, family members remembered Sereniti as a “loveable little girl who brought a smile to your face.”

“Her personality was bright and her smile was contagious,” the obituary said. “Although her time here was short, the lasting memories she brought to her family will forever be treasured.”

Police said Gurto has ties to western Pennsylvania.

He is described as:

  • 37 years old
  • 5 feet, 10 inches tall
  • 145 pounds
  • Deformed right ear
  • Misaligned jaw
  • Tattoos on right forearm

Anyone with information on Gurto’s whereabouts is asked to call the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force at 866-4WANTED or text keyword WANTED and the information to 84711.

Tipsters can remain anonymous.

The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Warrant alleges mother put 2 toddlers in oven, turned it on

Published: Monday, October 16, 2017 @ 6:52 PM

Georgia Mother Kills Two Youngest Sons By Placing Them In The Oven

A 24-year-old mother of four is accused of killing her two youngest sons “by placing them in an oven and turning it on,” according to an arrest warrant obtained Monday by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

An official autopsy is pending.

Fulton County jail officials said Lamora Williams waived her first appearance in court Monday on felony murder charges.

>> Read more trending news

The arrest warrant alleges Williams put her sons in the oven sometime between midnight Thursday and 11 p.m. Friday.

Williams called her sons’ father, Jameel Penn, on Friday night and showed him by video chat that something was wrong in her Atlanta apartment home.

Penn said he immediately called the police.

2 Children Found Dead in Apartment; Mother Charged

When officials arrived at the Oakland City West End Apartment complex, the boys, 2-year-old Ke’Younte Penn and 1-year-old Ja’Karter Williams, were dead.

Related: 2 children found dead in Atlanta apartment; mother charged

Friends and family members of Williams told the AJC she suffered from undiagnosed mental health problems that were exacerbated by her father’s death when she was 19 and by having four children younger than 7. They said she was also a single mother who had some help from Penn, but not enough considering her mental health.

Williams’ longtime friend Neesa Smith said Williams quit a job about a month ago because she couldn’t find a babysitter for the kids. 

“Nobody could tell what she was going through,” Smith said.

Williams’ sister, Tabitha Hollingsworth, said Williams is at risk and should be put on suicide watch in the Fulton County Jail, where she remains without bond.

Montgomery County settling jail lawsuit brought by 60-year-old woman

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 6:38 AM

            Marsha Pate-Strickland
Marsha Pate-Strickland

Montgomery County officials have reached terms for a settlement with a 60-year-old woman who was taken down to the floor in the county jail after asking a corrections officer for milk instead of juice while eating breakfast in the women’s waiting area.

Marsha Pate-Strickland reached a financial settlement with the county, her attorney and county officials confirmed. County officials haven’t revealed the amount agreed to be paid.

RELATED: Video shows incident involving woman who is suing jail staff

Pate-Strickland’s attorney, Douglas Brannon, said he’s bound by a confidentiality agreement not to discuss the exact terms reached with Montgomery County Commissioners and Sheriff Phil Plummer.

“The case has been settled. There’s a signed agreement,” Brannon said. “The matter was settled amicably and Ms. Pate-Strickland is going to be moving forward with her life and is glad to have this matter resolved.”

RELATED: County to pay $375,000 to settle jail pepper-spray lawsuit

A Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office spokesman confirmed that terms have been reached and eventually will be filed in federal court.

“A settlement, approved by Sheriff Plummer, between him, Montgomery County, and the plaintiffs has been reached,” said Greg Flannagan. “However, the necessary documents have not been signed by the Sheriff or the plaintiff or filed with the court.”

SPECIAL REPORT: Justice in the Jailhouse

This news organization has requested the document signed during mediation that includes the monetary agreement.

Surveillance video showed the altercation Sept. 8, 2015 between Pate-Strickland and corrections officer David Stemp after the inmate asked for milk instead of juice.

The suit claimed Stemp ordered Pate-Strickland to stand up, then was forcefully grabbed and “violently swung” around before her right shoulder and arm were slammed to the floor.

RELATED: 9 lawsuits against Montgomery County Jail personnel

Pate-Strickland was booked in on a misdemeanor assault accusation brought by another woman in her building that was dropped, according to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.

The lawsuit claimed that the actions by Stemp were “brutal and excessive force” and “cruel and unusual.”

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Brannon said Pate-Strickland was “doing fine” and made a “good recovery from her non-displaced fracture. It healed.”

Personnel records obtained by this news organization show Stemp was given a letter of caution for failing to notify supervisors of an escalating situation.

Stemp resigned May 31, 2016, to take a full-time job with the village of Camden. Village Chief Matt Spurlock said in September that Stemp has been promoted to the department’s senior patrol officer and is in charge of the property room.

Spurlock said Stemp, who started as part-time in late 2014, always has showed professionalism.

RELATED: Jail officer disciplined for actions that spurred federal lawsuit

Brannon also represented Amber Swink, who was paid $375,000 after being strapped in a seven-point harness and pepper-sprayed by then-Sgt. Judith Sealey, according to Montgomery County Prosecutor Mat Heck.

Montgomery County Jail lawsuit settlements

Two lawsuits of at least 10 pending cases against Montgomery County Jail staff have been settled out of court. Several more are pending, according to attorneys who have brought other suits.

Amber Swink: $375,000

Marsha Pate-Strickland: Undisclosed