breaking news


Man pays Middletown water bill with fake cash

Published: Friday, November 24, 2017 @ 10:58 AM


            Counterfeit money passed in the Dayton area in the past few weeks. UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE
Counterfeit money passed in the Dayton area in the past few weeks. UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE

Middletown police are investigating counterfeit money used by a resident to pay a water bill in October.

A man paid a $200 bill on Oct. 26 with a $100 bill and five $20 bills, according to Barbara Bradley, assistant finance director. This news agency isn’t naming the man because he hasn’t been charged, said Lt. Scott Reeve.

MORE: Escaped inmate found 3 miles from hospital

On Wednesday, police confirmed with Fifth Third Bank that the $100 bill was counterfeit, according to the report.

A video of the transaction was recovered for evidence.

On average $30,000 in counterfeit money is taken in monthly in the Dayton area and about $100,000 monthly for southern Ohio, which includes Dayton, Columbus and Cincinnati, according to Secret Service Agent Kevin Dye of the Dayton office.

MORE: 18-year-old pedestrian killed in Warren County; driver thought he hit a deer

“As the holidays approach, more counterfeit is received due to heavy cash intake for shopping. Retailers should carefully look at cash received during the holidays and call police if suspicious,” Dye said.

Woman evicted days before her 94th birthday, jailed when she refuses to leave, police say

Published: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 9:21 AM

Woman Evicted and Jailed Days Before Her 94th Birthday, Police Say

93-year-old Eustis woman was in jail Wednesday night after being arrested for allegedly refusing to leave her home at National Church Residences’ Franklin House after being evicted, police said.

>> Read more trending news

Juanita Fitzgerald was jailed just days before her 94th birthday on Friday.

According to a Eustis Police Department arrest report, Fitzgerald had been “made well aware the day prior of her being evicted (Tuesday).”

She was being evicted after falling behind on her rent, police said.

When officers arrived at the senior living facility in the 2400 block of Kurt Street, Fitzgerald was in the lobby.

“After several times telling Juanita to get her belongings and leave, she refused officers’ commands and stated, ‘Unless you carry me out of here, I’m not going anywhere,’” the report said.

Fitzgerald was warned that she would be arrested if she did not leave, but continued to refuse to move.

“Juanita still did not listen and refused to leave, stating again to ‘carry me out of here,’” the report said.

The 5-foot-tall, 100-pound woman purposefully slid onto the floor as officers tried to escort her from the building and allegedly resisted officers’ attempts to lift her up, investigators said.

Fitzgerald was eventually escorted to an officer’s patrol vehicle and taken to the Lake County Jail.

The officer noted that due to her age and possibility of injury, Fitzgerald was not handcuffed.

The Eustice police report said that Franklin House staff offered to help her move, but she refused.

She also refused assistance from the Department of Children and Families, The Homeless Coalition, Department of Elder Affairs and eight other agencies, officers said.

Fitzgerald was being held at the Lake County Jail in lieu of a $500 bond on a charge of trespassing.

Bullets aimed at officers' chests stopped by vests, officials say

Published: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 3:24 PM
Updated: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 4:13 PM

St. Louis Police Officers Saved By Bulletproof Vests

A man opened fire on two police officers who were 15 feet away from him on Thursday morning, striking them with bullets that would have hit their chests if not for their bulletproof vests, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

The vests might have saved the officers’ lives, KTVI reported. The pair was conscious and speaking Thursday after the shooting in Bellefontaine Neighbors, according to the news station. They were released from a hospital on Thursday afternoon after getting treatment for their injuries, St. Louis County police said.

Bellefontaine Neighbors Mayor Bob Doerr told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the injured officers were a 44-year-old male sergeant who has worked in law enforcement for “half his life” and a 25-year-old female police officer who was hired in 2014.

"They were wearing their bulletproof vests, so thank God," Doerr old the Post-Dispatch

The officers were injured around 7:30 a.m. after being called Thursday morning to a home in north St. Louis County where a man was suspected of having fired multiple shots on Wednesday night, KTVI reported. Police left the home Wednesday after finding no evidence to continue an investigation, St. Louis County police Sgt. Shawn McGuire told KMOV.

He told the news station that a neighbor called authorities Thursday morning after spotting the man who was suspected of firing the shots. Officers said they found the person walking in the area and tried to talk to him, but St. Louis County police said they were unsuccessful.

“Officers tried to take the suspect into custody, at which time the suspect resisted arrest,” police said. “One of the officers attempted to use a Taser to control the suspect, but was unsuccessful.”

Authorities said the man then pulled out a gun and fired shots at the officers’ chests.

One of the officers returned fire, but it was not immediately clear if the man was hit. He ran into a home, where he barricaded himself for hours before police officers were able to take him into custody Thursday afternoon.

Witness Steve Jones told KMOV he spotted police officers Thursday morning in the front yard of a home on Bellefontaine Road.

“All of a sudden, I (see) ... Bellefontaine officers trying to take this man to the ground, and the next thing I know, this man jumps up off the ground and I see pepper spray being deployed from the officers,” Jones told KMOV. “This man backs up about 15 feet and starts shooting.”

He said he heard several gunshots and saw the officers fall to the ground. He told KMOV he called 911.

Police did not immediately identify the man accused of firing shots at police or either of the injured officers.

Bullets aimed at officers' chests stopped by vests

Published: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 6:35 PM
Updated: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 4:13 PM

Police officers work the scene where two St. Louis County officers were shot and a man barricaded himself inside a home on Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017, in the St. Louis County town of Bellefontaine Neighbors, Mo. Officers are trying to negotiate his surrender. (Robert Cohen/St. Louis Post-Dispatch via AP)
Robert Cohen/AP
Police officers work the scene where two St. Louis County officers were shot and a man barricaded himself inside a home on Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017, in the St. Louis County town of Bellefontaine Neighbors, Mo. Officers are trying to negotiate his surrender. (Robert Cohen/St. Louis Post-Dispatch via AP)(Robert Cohen/AP)

A man opened fire on two police officers who were 15 feet away from him on Thursday morning, striking them with bullets that would have hit their chests if not for their bulletproof vests, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

The vests might have saved the officers’ lives, KTVI reported. The pair was conscious and speaking Thursday after the shooting in Bellefontaine Neighbors, according to the news station. They were released from a hospital on Thursday afternoon after getting treatment for their injuries, St. Louis County police said.

Bellefontaine Neighbors Mayor Bob Doerr told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the injured officers were a 44-year-old male sergeant who has worked in law enforcement for “half his life” and a 25-year-old female police officer who was hired in 2014.

"They were wearing their bulletproof vests, so thank God," Doerr old the Post-Dispatch

The officers were injured around 7:30 a.m. after being called Thursday morning to a home in north St. Louis County where a man was suspected of having fired multiple shots on Wednesday night, KTVI reported. Police left the home Wednesday after finding no evidence to continue an investigation, St. Louis County police Sgt. Shawn McGuire told KMOV.

He told the news station that a neighbor called authorities Thursday morning after spotting the man who was suspected of firing the shots. Officers said they found the person walking in the area and tried to talk to him, but St. Louis County police said they were unsuccessful.

“Officers tried to take the suspect into custody, at which time the suspect resisted arrest,” police said. “One of the officers attempted to use a Taser to control the suspect, but was unsuccessful.”

Authorities said the man then pulled out a gun and fired shots at the officers’ chests.

One of the officers returned fire, but it was not immediately clear if the man was hit. He ran into a home, where he barricaded himself for hours before police officers were able to take him into custody Thursday afternoon.

Witness Steve Jones told KMOV he spotted police officers Thursday morning in the front yard of a home on Bellefontaine Road.

“All of a sudden, I (see) ... Bellefontaine officers trying to take this man to the ground, and the next thing I know, this man jumps up off the ground and I see pepper spray being deployed from the officers,” Jones told KMOV. “This man backs up about 15 feet and starts shooting.”

He said he heard several gunshots and saw the officers fall to the ground. He told KMOV he called 911.

Police did not immediately identify the man accused of firing shots at police or either of the injured officers.

WPAFB sex crime victim ‘thanks’ assailant; sentencing Dec. 27

Published: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 3:21 PM

Jordan contends that after a day drinking, he didn’t remember having sex with a woman who was unconscious.

The victim of a December 2015 sexual assault at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base mockingly thanked Kyle Jordan during Thursday’s sentencing hearing.

Jordan, 32, pleaded guilty 11 months ago in Dayton’s U.S. District Court to one count of sexual abuse for having sex with an unconscious woman he supervised at a Temporary Lodging Facility (TLF) during a gathering after both drank alcohol the day of a Christmas party two years ago.

RELATED: Sentencing delayed for Air Force reservist guilty of sex crime on base

U.S. District Court Judge Walter Rice scheduled Jordan’s sentencing for Dec. 27.

The woman, younger than 21 at the time of the incident, thanked Jordan for her anxiety, major depression, voices in her head that won’t go away, suicidal thoughts and that she no longer likes Christmas parties.

“I was not as strong as what I am today,” said the woman, identified only by initials in court. “I’m glad I stood up and gave others the strength to stand up.”

PREVIOUS: Air Force reservist pleads guilty to sex crime on base

The woman said she wasn’t sure about going forward with charges because she didn’t want to ruin somebody’s life, but that little did she know her life had been changed forever.

“I want to thank my family more than anything,” she said, her voice shaky. “I’m very proud of everything I’ve done since this.”

The plea agreement Jordan has with prosecutors stipulates a sentence of up to 87 months (7¼ years) in exchange for other charges to be dismissed. The maximum sentence for committing this federal crime is up to life in prison.

RELATED: Air Force reservist accused of sex crime at base faces more charges

Defense attorney Brock Schoenlein said the government is trying to add enhancements that could allow Rice to add to Jordan’s sentence.

In a sentencing memorandum, prosecutors wrote that Jordan denied engaging in a sexual act, that Jordan asked a friend by text to lie by saying the friend stayed at the TLF that night and then asked him to delete the text.

“They have to show that the purpose of that was to misguide or obstruct the federal investigation,” Schoenlein said of his client, whose fiancé was a few weeks away from giving birth to their child. “If he sent the text messages to cover his social situations, that doesn’t make it.”

RELATED: Former corrections officer gets home detention in sex crime case

Prosecutors had written that Jordan had sex with a woman “who was incapable of appraising the nature of the conduct” after a night of heavy drinking during a Christmas party in December 2015.

Jordan, an Air Force veteran and reservist who served in Iraq and Korea and was a one-time Butler County corrections officer, said Thursday that he admitted the crime after prosecutors presented physical evidence.

“Once the government showed me proof of my DNA (inside the victim), I had no other choice,” Jordan said. “I have no reason to dispute what she said,” he said, adding that he decided to “accept the guilty plea because I do believe that is wrong.”

RELATED: Federal sex indictment stems from Christmas party

Schoenlein said his client “doesn’t remember what he is alleged to have done” and therefore he didn’t lie to investigators.

Thursday’s hearing included testimony from investigators from the Air Force and Federal Bureau of Investigation plus the victim’s statement.

Assistant U.S. attorney Amy Smith declined to comment but she said she and/or the victim’s family may make a statement after Jordan is formally sentenced.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook