Man indicted in bomb threat that evacuates Tenneco plant in Kettering

Published: Thursday, May 18, 2017 @ 11:35 PM

Manuel Reed

A 33-year-old Dayton man faces charges in connection to a bomb threat last month at the Tenneco plant in Kettering.

Manuel D. Reed was indicted this week for making false alarms and inducing panic, both felonies, and is ordered to appear May 30 for arraignment in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court, online documents show. He was indicted Monday by a county grand jury.

RELATED: Man accused in Kettering bomb threat arrested

Reed, who is out on bond, is accused of making a bomb threat April 7 that led to the evacuation of Tenneco, 2555 Woodman Drive in Kettering that pulled hundreds of workers off the job at the manufacturing facility.

HAVE A TIP? Contact the 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or newsdesk@coxinc.com

Download our free mobile apps for breaking news and weather

Dayton mom accused of shooting kids charged with attempted murder

Published: Thursday, May 18, 2017 @ 9:03 PM

Update@4:51 p.m.

Claudena Helton has been formally charged with two counts of attempted aggravated murder and four counts of felonious assault for allegedly shooting her two children, according to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.

The children, Khmorra, 8, and Kaiden, 6, remained in critical condition at Dayton Children’s Hospital Friday evening.

First report:

The woman jailed on suspicion of shooting two of her children Thursday in Dayton has faced previous allegations involving children.

Claudena Helton was in the Montgomery County Jail Thursday night, pending filing of formal charges.

Claudena Helton was convicted of disorderly conduct in Montgomery County Juvenile Court in March 2014, according to the county prosecutor’s office.

Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl said two children, an 8-year-old girl and 6-year-old boy, were wounded with life-threatening injuries when their reportedly mother shot them in the head on Lori Sue Avenue.

PHOTOS: Police respond to scene, neighbors react

Dayton Children's Hospital officials said Khmorra and Kaiden Helton were in critical condition Thursday evening. 

Biehl said the mother faced child endangering charges previously but did not elaborate. 

RELATED: Police: Dayton mother shoots 2 children

This news organization found records of a February 2014, incident in which Dayton police investigated injuries Khmorra allegedly suffered while at the home on Lori Sue Avenue where Thursday's shooting occurred. 

In 2014, police were called to the Miami Valley Child Development Center in the 2900 block of Shiloh Springs Road to meet with children services staff. 

A teacher at the center noticed that Khmorra, then 5, had bruises on her arms and was telling other children the bruises hurt, according to a police narrative from Officer Charles Hurley. 

On closer examination, officials discovered that Khmorra also had swelling and marks on her cheek and a cut on her lip. She had a bruise on her chest and discoloration on her left thigh. 

Khmorra told her teacher and investigators that her mother hit her with the buckle end of a belt, the report states. 

The girl said her mother hit her repeatedly with the belt while on the bed because she was crying, the report states. 

Khmorra's injuries were photographed as evidence. 

Authorities' first attempts to reach the mother by phone were unsuccessful. They eventually reached her and instructed her to come into the school. 

But the mother, whose name is not listed in the police report — rushed past the school's front desk and went to her 3-year-old son's classroom, where police found her putting on his coat and getting him ready to leave, the report states. 

The mother said "she was going to jail and needed to take her kids somewhere first," says officer Hurley's narrative. Hurley told her a decision on charges hadn't been made and he was not planning to arrest her. 

The mother said a boy at school touched her daughter's buttocks the previous day and she saw her daughter do it to her brother, which she forbid, police said. 

The mom said she spanked her daughter when she did it again. 

Hurley told the woman that it looked like she had lost her temper while disciplining her child and went too far. Officials allowed Khmorra's aunt to take the children for multiple days as part of a safety plan. 

Hurley told her there would be an investigation and criminal charges potentially could be filed. 

"Although I felt the discipline was very excessive, I didn't think it rose to the level of serious physical harm," Hurley wrote. "I made clear to her that that could change once the doctors examined her daughter."

HAVE A TIP? Contact our 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or newsdesk@coxinc.com

Download our free mobile apps for breaking news and weather

Mom who police said killed her kids tied to second molestation report

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:30 PM

Claudena Helton faces charges related to the shooting deaths of two of her children.

The Dayton mother charged with shooting two of her children to death has been connected to a second report that her young son was molested.

Neither report was determined to have enough evidence for prosecutors to support charges.

Claudena M. Helton, 30, is accused of shooting 8-year-old Khmorra and 6-year-old Kaiden Helton in the head on May 18. Both children died Sunday at Dayton Children’s Hospital.

PREVIOUS: Dayton boy, allegedly killed by mom, claimed he was molested by school janitor

A Trotwood police report said her son claimed to have been the victim of a sexually related offense at his school last winter.

In February, Trotwood police opened an investigation after Kaiden said he was touched inappropriately by a school janitor, and that the janitor at Mother Brunner Catholic School sexually pleasured himself in front of Kaiden.

Legal authorities said this week that the complaint was investigated and charges were refused by prosecutors because of insufficient evidence.

RELATED: Affidavit details Boonshoft sex case allegations

An October 2015 Dayton police report from the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery lists Helton as the complainant.

A search warrant affidavit filed then said a 4-year-old boy reported to his mother that he had been touched sexually in a bathroom at the Boonshoft on Oct. 2, 2015.

The employee, whose name was not reported because no criminal charges had been filed, was placed on administrative leave during the investigation.

RELATED: Police investigate child sex allegation at Boonshoft

According to the affidavit, Dayton police Detective Elizabeth Alley said she spoke with a Dayton Children’s Hospital social worker on Oct. 5 about a 4-year-old boy’s report to his mother that he had been touched sexually in a bathroom at the Boonshoft on Oct. 2.

The social worker told Alley she spoke with the boy at a hospital emergency room.

The boy’s mother told the social worker her son came home from school that day upset and told her the employee gave him a bear hug while in the bathroom, “unzipped his pants, put his hands down [the child’s] pants” and touched his penis.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

The boy said that when he exited the bathroom, he told his teacher, who said she would call his mother, according to the affidavit.

Police searched the museum on Oct. 9, seizing several items including a desktop computer and the personal file of the accused employee, the affidavit said.

Calls seeking comment from the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office were not immediately returned.

Local agency warns about Blue Whale Challenge app

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:02 PM

DAYTON — Montgomery County Alcohol, Drug & Mental Health Services is cautioning residents about the Blue Whale Challenge app which they say is targeting youth and has been linked to the deaths of more than 100 people.

The app, created in 2013, has used horrifying videos to lure children into the app before psychologically manipulating them.

The app, which has been removed Apple’s iOS store and Google Play store, includes a 50-day challenge asking users to complete tasks that range from listening to music to causing self-harm.

RELATED: WARNING: Teens taking Blue Whale Challenge, a ‘game’ ending in suicide

The app also can be very difficult to remove once installed.

The app has been reported to hack into the user’s personal information that administrators use to threaten the player's family or releases personal information until the player ends his or her life.

Who are key players in Kettering homicide case of Fairmont teen?

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 8:31 AM


            Ronnie Bowers was shot to death Sept. 4, 2016, an innocent victim in a dispute between two groups of people, according to Kettering police.

Seventeen-year-old Kylen Jamal Gregory faces murder charges in the Kettering shooting death of Fairmont High School junior Ronnie Bowers last Labor Day weekend.

RELATED: Key points in homicide of Fairmont student

Depending on a judge’s decision, the Kettering defendant could face those charges in adult court. Since late October, prosecutors have sought adult charges in connection with the Sept. 4 shooting on Willowdale Avenue that – two days later when Bowers died – became Kettering’s first gun-related homicide since 2007.

RELATED: 12 on witness list in Kettering homicide of Fairmont teen

The case has revolved around Bowers and Gregory, who by all accounts were strangers. But for more than eight months, several other people have had an impact. They include:

-Two teen witnesses. Kettering residents ages 16 and 14 at the time of the shooting, both males testified under a sealed plea agreement. Both said they were with Gregory when a dispute occurred at AlterFest earlier that night between their group of five and Bowers’ friends.

RELATED: Police: Teens to face charges in Kettering shooting

Both said their group tracked Bowers – who neither knew - and his friends to Willowdale. Both said they saw Gregory fire a shot toward Bowers’ Lexus as the victim sought to drive away. They were sentenced to the maximum punishment and may stay in custody until turning 21.

RELATED: State seeks adult charges against teen in Kettering homicide

-Judge Anthony Capizzi. Has used a broad authority to keep all defendants in custody since hours after the shooting. He has repeatedly pointed out a desire to protect the community and to protect the defendants from the community.

RELATED: 2 teens strike plea deal to testify in Kettering homicide

-Benjamin Swift. Gregory’s counsel after the shooting, Swift sought a second psychological evaluation for his client. He also politely objected to the courtroom presence of something few – if any – court observers have ever seen: an urn holding the victim’s remains.

-Lynda Dodd. The lead prosecutor entered the case when it became apparent the county would seek to have Gregory’s case transferred to adult court. She has been the chief prosecutorial presence for most of the way.

RELATED: Two teens sentenced for role in Kettering homicide of Fairmont student

-Jessica Combs. The mother of the victim said shortly after her son’s death in September that she would seek to see that “justice is served.” Combs - along with several relatives and friends - has been a steady courtroom presence.

MORE: Other articles by Nick Blizzard

MORE COVERAGE

Judge uses broad options to detain defendants

Kettering shooting victim’s mother calls son hero