breaking news


Man accused of sex act in front of co-worker

Published: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 @ 9:05 PM
Updated: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

A 31-year-old man is facing charges of abduction and public indecency for allegedly performing a sex act in front of a woman while at work in a Springfield warehouse.

Anthony Edward Smith Sr. was arrested Monday for an incident in May 2012 when a woman said he exposed himself to her. Springfield police picked up Smith on a warrant related to a theft case at Walmart as well as the abduction and public indecency charges.

The alleged incident occurred at Eby-Brown, 1982 Commerce Road. On May 21, 2012, a female employee told officers another employee had exposed himself to her that morning. According to the warrant issued for Smith’s arrest, the woman said he asked her to assist him with moving a box. When she followed him down an aisle, Smith allegedly pushed her between two large skids with boxes stacked on each side, cornering her and hiding them from view.

He exposed himself to her and committed a sex act, according to the warrant. He’s also accused of physically keeping her from leaving.

Smith allegedly fled the scene, and the victim notified a supervisor. The woman was checked out at Springfield Regional Medical Center, where police said they collected evidence.

Officials from Eby-Brown told officers Smith’s job was terminated but they did not specify when. A call to the company’s Human Resources department was not returned Tuesday.

After pleading not guilty on Tuesday during his arraignment, Smith asked Clark County Municipal Judge Denise Moody to make his bond an affordable amount. The judge answered that bond amounts are based on the crime, not whether the defendant can afford to pay it.

His bond was set at $28,000, and he must post 10 percent of that to be released from the Clark County Jail.

Child sex abuse case surfaces after girl looks up porn at school, police say

Published: Thursday, May 25, 2017 @ 3:14 AM

Anthony Garay, 31
Bexar County Sheriff's Office

A Texas man is facing child sex abuse charges after a girl was caught accessing pornography on a school iPad to learn more about what he does to her, according to an affidavit filed by police.

The 9-year-old told a teacher at San Antonio’s Elm Creek Elementary School that Anthony Garay sexually abused her "all the time at night," according to KSAT and the Houston Chronicle.

>> Read more trending news

The shocked teacher reportedly called Child Protective Services, who interviewed the child. After the interview, police arrested Garay, 31. He’s been investigated – but not charged – by CPS in prior sexual abuse cases.

Garay was subsequently charged with a first-degree felony for continuous sexual abuse of a child. He is being held on $75,000 bond in the Bexar County Jail.

Related

Mom who police said killed her kids tied to second molestation report

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:30 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 4:39 PM

The Dayton mother charged in the shooting deaths of two of her children has been connected to a second report that her young son was molested.

Neither report was determined to have enough evidence for prosecutors to support charges, according to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.

Claudena M. Helton, 30, is accused of shooting 8-year-old Khmorra and 6-year-old Kaiden Helton in the head on May 18. Both children died Sunday at Dayton Children’s Hospital.

PREVIOUS: Dayton boy, allegedly killed by mom, claimed he was molested by school janitor

An October 2015 Dayton police report from the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery lists Helton as the complainant.

A search warrant affidavit filed then said a 4-year-old boy reported to his mother that he had been touched sexually in a bathroom at the Boonshoft on Oct. 2, 2015.

The employee, whose name was not reported because no criminal charges had been filed, was placed on administrative leave during the investigation.

RELATED: Affidavit details Boonshoft sex case allegations

“In February 2016 it was determined that there was insufficient evidence to support the filing of any felony charges,” said Greg Flannagan, spokesman with the prosecutor’s office.

According to the affidavit, Dayton police Detective Elizabeth Alley said she spoke with a Dayton Children’s Hospital social worker on Oct. 5 about a 4-year-old boy’s report to his mother that he had been touched sexually in a bathroom at the Boonshoft on Oct. 2.

The social worker told Alley she spoke with the boy at a hospital emergency room.

RELATED: Police investigate child sex allegation at Boonshoft

The boy’s mother told the social worker her son came home from school that day upset and told her the employee gave him a bear hug while in the bathroom, “unzipped his pants, put his hands down [the child’s] pants” and touched his penis.

The boy said that when he exited the bathroom, he told his teacher, who said she would call his mother, according to the affidavit.

Police searched the museum on Oct. 9, seizing several items including a desktop computer and the personnel file of the accused employee, the affidavit said.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

A Trotwood police report said her son claimed to have been the victim of a sexually related offense at his school last winter.

In February, Trotwood police opened an investigation after Kaiden said he was touched inappropriately by a school janitor, and that the janitor at Mother Brunner Catholic School sexually pleasured himself in front of Kaiden.

Legal authorities said this week that the complaint was investigated and charges were refused by prosecutors because of insufficient evidence. A Trotwood police Captain said the department did find out about the Boonshoft allegations as part of their investigation.

This news organization has been unable to contact either of the uncharged employees suspected of the alleged contact with Kaiden Helton because we have not been able to confirm their identities.

Local agency warns about Blue Whale Challenge app

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:02 PM

DAYTON — Montgomery County Alcohol, Drug & Mental Health Services is cautioning residents about the Blue Whale Challenge app which they say is targeting youth and has been linked to the deaths of more than 100 people.

The app, created in 2013, has used horrifying videos to lure children into the app before psychologically manipulating them.

The app, which has been removed Apple’s iOS store and Google Play store, includes a 50-day challenge asking users to complete tasks that range from listening to music to causing self-harm.

RELATED: WARNING: Teens taking Blue Whale Challenge, a ‘game’ ending in suicide

The app also can be very difficult to remove once installed.

The app has been reported to hack into the user’s personal information that administrators use to threaten the player's family or releases personal information until the player ends his or her life.

Severed animal heads on Florida road was ‘cleansing ritual,' deputies say

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 10:37 AM

Volusia County deputies are investigating after nine severed animal heads were found on the side of a Florida road.
News | WFTV

Volusia County deputies are investigating after nine severed animal heads were found on the side of a Florida road.  

The gruesome discovery was made last week.

Investigators said that they think the animals were part of a "cleansing ritual."

>> Read more trending news

The bodies of animals were found underneath an upside down recycle bin by a woman riding her bike.

Investigators said a family told them they killed the five chickens, two pigeons, one goat and a turtle to cleanse a man of his schizophrenic thoughts. All the animals were missing their heads.

Court records showed the man the ritual was being performed on was arrested for animal cruelty last year for hanging a dog, investigators said.  

He pleaded no contest to the charge.  

An official with the sheriff's office told Eyewitness News that it is still investigating the case, and charges may be filed.

Related