log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, May 19, 2017 @ 11:01 AM
— A 7-month-old baby died after his parents fed him only gluten-free and lactose-free foods, including quinoa milk, the New York Post reported.
The child’s Belgian parents self-diagnosed him with an array of food allergies, but never sought a medical professional’s opinion before deciding on his diet, according to the newspaper.
“The parents determined their own diagnosis that their child was gluten intolerant and had a lactose allergy,” lawyers said in court during the trial for the child’s 2014 death, the Independent reported. “Not a single doctor had a dossier about Lucas and child protection services did not know about them.”
At the time of his death, baby Lucas weighed fewer than 10 pounds, which is only half the size of an average baby his age. An autopsy later found that his stomach was completely empty when he died, and his official cause of death was dehydration and malnutrition, according to the New York Post.
In court, the child’s parents said that they never took him to a doctor because they didn’t notice that anything was wrong with him. His mother said that sometimes Lucas would gain a little weight and then lose it, and that his parents thought such weight fluctuations were normal. They eventually took him to a homeopathic doctor, who insisted that they take him to a real hospital. By the time they did, it was too late. The hospital pronounced him dead on arrival.
In addition to quinoa milk, Lucas’ parents fed him oat milk, rice milk, buckwheat milk and semolina milk from the natural foods store they own, according to the Independent. While doctors warn that such a diet will not sustain an infant that age, the parents’ lawyer argued that wasn’t the case and that Lucas died for another reason.
“Lucas had an eating disorder. He got cramps when he was fed with a bottle, and his parents tried out alternatives,” the couple’s attorney, Karine Van Meirvenne, said, according to the Daily Mail.
The parents’ trial began this week. Each faces up to 18 months in prison for contributing to the infant’s death.
Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 2:36 PM
PARKER COUNTY, Texas — A woman in Texas has been arrested after she was caught on camera tossing her small dog named Pumpkin out of a moving vehicle.
The Chihuahua-mixed breed survived the incident and was found Thursday roaming a family's rural property in Weatherford, WFAA reported. Surveillance cameras on the property provided clear identification of the vehicle. The dog's microchip further confirmed the owner's identity.
When questioned by Sgt. Ricky Montgomery, Janet Byas, 43, initially denied tossing the dog out of the vehicle. When the evidence of her involvement was presented to her, Montgomery said she admitted that she threw the dog out of the car because she was frustrated with it. She said Pumpkin would not stay on her property and she "couldn't handle it anymore," WFAA reported.
When WFAA asked for Montgomery's reaction to Byas' reasoning for throwing the dog out of the car, Montgomery said, "Grow up."
Byas was arrested and charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty.
Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 1:03 PM
OMAHA, Neb. — A Nebraska man has been arrested for the 18th time for indecent exposure, authorities said.
The latest incident took place Thursday at an Omaha food court, KETV reported.
Witnesses told KETV that Shawn Noble, 39, was yelling obscenities when he emerged from the food court restroom completely naked. When the property manager ordered him back into the bathroom to put on his clothes, he lunged at her, witnesses said.
Food court employees were able to barricade Noble inside the restroom until police arrived, KETV reported. Noble was charged with indecent exposure and disorderly conduct and taken to the Douglas County Jail.
Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 3:47 PM
WELLINGTON, Fla. — A Florida woman was arrested on Thursday after deputies said she drove intoxicated with a child sitting above an open case of beer tucked in the back seat.
A Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy pulled over Miami resident Stephanie Roque, 30, about 11 a.m. after she made a complete stop in her SUV in the center of a lane, the Palm Beach Post reported. The deputy said that Roque’s drivers license was suspended, and noticed she had a “strong smell of alcohol,” the arrest report states.
Roque told the deputy that she “just got out of rehab today for a drinking problem,” according to the report. The deputy found a child in the backseat of the car with an open 12-pack of beer sitting underneath the child’s feet, the Palm Beach Post reported. Only nine of the 12 beers were in the case, the report states.
Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 12:27 PM
CEDAR PARK, Texas — A Texas man has been accused of possessing 8,000 hits of LSD. Cody Wayne Wahrmund, 31, was indicted Thursday for possession of a controlled substance, a first-degree felony punishable by up to 99 years in prison, according to an indictment issued Thursday.
A Cedar Park police officer stopped Wahrmund in his vehicle Oct. 1 for a defective rear tail light, according to an arrest affidavit reviewed by the Austin American-Statesman.
When the officer spoke to Wahrmund, the officer noticed a pipe with what appeared to be marijuana residue inside of it hanging from a walking stick in the back seat of Wahrmund’s vehicle, the affidavit said.
The affidavit said the officer searched the car and found methamphetamine inside a pill bottle. The affidavit does not include any information about where the LSD, otherwise known as acid, was found, the Statesman reported.