log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 @ 10:19 AM
Updated: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 @ 3:37 PM
— A Logan County superintendent accused of not reporting child sexual abuse was placed on unpaid leave last week.
Heather O’Donnell, the superintendent at Midwest Regional Educational Service Center, has been charged with two counts of child endangering in connection with child rape charges lodged against her husband, Indian Lake Superintendent Patrick O’Donnell.
She was suspended by the Midwest Regional board on July 14 and the board agreed to place her on voluntary unpaid leave on Aug. 17.
“The justice system will proceed and determine her guilt or innocence and the ESC reserves the right to take further action depending on the outcome,” a news release issued by the Midwest board says.
Her attorney, Sam Shamansky, said his client is innocent and he is confident a jury will find her innocent of any wrongdoing.
“Heather is wrongly accused,” he said. “She had never engaged in any sort of criminal behavior that is alleged in the indictment. She is ready to go before a jury of her peers.”
He said his client never hid any sexual assault.
“When this case is fully and fairly presented during a jury trial, people will have the full story,” Shamansky said.
Calls to the Logan County Prosecutor Eric Stewart weren’t returned. The school board previously said in a statement that the charges filed against Heather O’Donnell were “horrible.”
“The ESC remains committed to our first priority — partnering with school districts to improve outcomes for students and families,” the news release says. “We are committed to working with any member district, staff member, student or family who has concerns about anything surrounding our ESC, including this issue.”
Calls from the Springfield News-Sun to the attorney for Patrick O’Donnell weren’t returned.
A Logan County grand jury indicted Heather O’Donnell and Patrick O’Donnell on July 11. Patrick O’Donnell faces several charges — four counts of rape-victim under 13, four counts of sexual battery and six counts of gross sexual imposition. Indian Lake Local Schools board of education has moved to terminate him but he has filed an appeal of that process, according to school board meeting minutes.
Investigators have said the alleged rapes occurred over a three-year period and involve a single child who’s now 13. That child isn’t a student at Indian Lake and was known to both O’Donnells, according to police.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 4:44 PM
— A woman was arrested on Thursday in an unincorporated area of Wellington, Fla., after deputies said she drove intoxicated with a child in the back seat, who was sitting above an open case of beer.
A Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy pulled over Miami resident Stephanie Roque, 30, on Forest Hill Boulevard and Lyons Road abour 11 a.m. after she made a complete stop in her SUV in the center of a lane. The deputy said that Roque’s drivers license was suspended, and noticed she had a “strong smell of alcohol,” the arrest report states.
Roque told the deputy that she “just got out of rehab today for a drinking problem,” according to the report. The deputy found a child in the backseat of the car with an open 12-pack of beer sitting underneath the child’s feet. Only nine of the 12 beers were in the case, the report states.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 4:20 PM
LEBANON — The Lebanon man driving the truck that crashed head-on into an ambulance earlier this month, sending himself and three people to the hospital for treatment, is to appear in court Thursday on a misdemeanor charge.
Jesse C. Jones, 21, of Lebanon, was charged with “lanes of travel” on Tuesday in Warren County Court.
On Feb. 9, Jones, two ambulance technicians and a woman they were transporting to a hospital after she suffered a stroke, were treated after the three-vehicle crash on Ohio 122 outside Red Lion in Clearcreek Twp., Warren County.
Jones and the ambulance techs were treated and released.
Marjorie Bottorff, 52, the person being transported at the time of the crash, remained in serious condition on Wednesday at Miami Valley Hospital.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 3:03 PM
Two illegal immigrants from Mexico have been charged with intent to distribute several kilograms worth of fentanyl in Miami County, according to court documents.
Nabor Zapeda-Ibarria, 23, and Jesus Mayorga Gonzalez, 40, have been charged with possession and intent to distribute more than 400 grams of fentanyl in Dayton’s U.S. District Court.
A magistrate judge ruled Tuesday that both would remain detained during their case. Both are scheduled for a March 2 preliminary hearing.
Confidential sources told law enforcement that a residence at 5545 County Road 25A in Tipp City was being used by a drug trafficking organization with ties to Mexico, according to a criminal complaint and affidavit written by a Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) special agent.
In January, Mayorga Gonzalez was stopped for speeding on Interstate 75 and provided false names for both defendants, according to the complaint.
The special agent wrote that, according to a Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office detective assigned to a Homeland Security task force, Mayorga Gonzalez was the subject of a November 2016 seizure of nine kilograms (19.84 pounds) of heroin and $400,000.
“Specifically, during the prior investigation a cooperating witness stated that Mayorga Gonzalez was a coordinator f0r large amounts of heroin coming into the Dayton area and was also involved with the collection of large amounts of drug proceeds,” the special agent wrote. A prosecutor and defense attorney both said Tuesday that Mayorga Gonzalez was not arrested the 2016 case.
The affidavit said that the DEA obtained a search warrant earlier this month for the “target residence”and located Zapeda-Ibarria inside along with evidence.
The evidence mentioned included a hydraulic press, Tyvek suits, face masks and more than $150,000 cash, three kilograms of suspected fentanyl in the attic floor, a loaded handgun, scales and suspected drug cutting agents.
Mayorga Gonzalez was found with a key to the residence, according to the complaint, which stated that both men admitted to being in the country illegally.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 1:26 PM
— Actress Karla Souza claims she was sexually assaulted by a director early in her career.
The “How to Get Away with Murder” star spoke to CNN en Español Tuesday, sharing that she was raped by a director while filming in her native Mexico early in her career, People reported.
The 32-year-old said the director, who she would not name, totally abused his power and held “psychological control” over her.
The actress felt she had to “give in” to his advances.
“I ended up giving in to him. (I let him) kiss me, to touch me in ways I did not want him to touch me and in one of those instances, he attacked me violently and yes, he raped me,” she said, fighting back tears.
Souza said she was staying in a separate hotel than her co-stars, where only she and the director had rooms. The unnamed director would stop by at odd hours, claiming it was work-related.
“He knocked at my door saying he wanted to go over some scenes and I thought it’s 2 a.m., it’s not appropriate and it’s something that shouldn’t be happening,” she said.
Souza continued, adding that one night he knocked on her door and she refused to answer, which caused him to decide “to shoot my scene and then he suddenly started to humiliate me in front of the others on the set.”