severe weather


Location of Clark County OVI checkpoint announced

Published: Thursday, July 13, 2017 @ 10:17 AM
Updated: Friday, July 14, 2017 @ 8:48 AM


            State troopers will set up an OVI checkpoint in Clark County on Friday evening. Staff photo
State troopers will set up an OVI checkpoint in Clark County on Friday evening. Staff photo

State troopers will conduct an OVI checkpoint in Clark County tonight.

The checkpoint will be on Ohio 235 south of New Carlisle from 8 p.m. until midnight.

READ MORE: Family wants driver in deadly Clark County crash to come forward

“The OVI checkpoint, funded by federal grant funds, is planned to deter and intercept impaired drivers,” the release says.

Lt. Brian Aller, commander of the state patrol’s Springfield Post, previously told the Springfield News-Sun that his office was working on setting up more OVI checkpoints over the summer and will have troopers working overtime to stop dangerous drivers.

“We are trying to keep people who are impaired off the roadway so they don’t kill people who hurt somebody,” Aller said.

5 QUICK CRIME READS

Secret indictment accuses Springfield man of several burglaries

Logan County superintendent faces 14 charges in child rape case

No criminal charges expected in Shawnee baseball investigation

Deputies accuse Medway man of trafficking marijuana, hashish, dabs

Dayton fatal shooting victim ID’d; suspect in custody

Published: Saturday, November 18, 2017 @ 1:31 AM
Updated: Saturday, November 18, 2017 @ 1:00 PM

Our crew at the scene reports crime scene tape around 10 to 15 police cruisers can be seen in the 2400 block of Edison Street.

UPDATE @ 1 p.m.

The victim in a fatal shooting early Saturday has been identified as 35-year-old Chaunsay Tinsley Jr. of Dayton by the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

A preliminary cause of death was not able to be released. However, Dayton police Lt. Steven Bauer earlier said Tinsley suffered several gunshot wounds.

UPDATE @ 7:18 a.m.

The victim in Saturday morning's shooting on Edison Street has died, according to the Montgomery County Coroner's Office. 

A coroner's investigator told our newsroom the victim's identity will be released later today. 

>> Police: Man shot in back on Edison Street

Crews were called to the 2400 block of Edison Street on a report of a person shot. Police told our crew they believe the shooting stemmed from a domestic dispute. 

Dayton police said they have a suspect in custody as they continue their investigation.

UPDATE @ 3:31 a.m.

A man is in critical condition following a shooting in Dayton Saturday morning, correcting earlier reports from dispatchers. 

Dayton Lt. Steven Bauer told our crew police arrived on scene to find a male victim with several gunshot wounds. 

>> Homicide detectives called to shooting near Residence Park in Dayton

Police said the unidentified victim suffered life-threatening injuries and was taken to Miami Valley Hospital. 

Little is known about the motive behind the shooting or the suspect currently in custody. 

Our crew reports crime scene tape has come down as police leave the scene.

UPDATE @ 2:13 a.m.

At least one person is dead following a shooting on Edison Street in Dayton Saturday morning, according to regional dispatchers.

Our crew at the scene reports crime scene tape around 10 to 15 police cruisers can be seen in the 2400 block of Edison Street.

Dispatchers said only one person was reported injured after the shooting call came in just after 1 a.m.

One person is crying in the back of a police cruiser as police continue to establish a crime scene, according to our crew.

We will continue to update this developing story as new details emerge.

EARLIER REPORT

At least one person has been injured in a reported shooting in Dayton Saturday morning, according to dispatchers. 

Police and medics were dispatched to the 2400 block of Edison Street around 1:10 a.m. on a report of a person shot. 

Initial reports indicate there may be as many as two victims at the scene. 

It is unknown how many people were shot, according to dispatchers, but police logs indicate a person at the scene suffered a chest injury.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Police: Man swipes keys off store counter, steals manager's car, guns

Published: Saturday, November 18, 2017 @ 1:05 PM

Superior store manager T. Ginem says a thief stole his car and other valuable merchandise.
Fox13Memphis.com
Superior store manager T. Ginem says a thief stole his car and other valuable merchandise.(Fox13Memphis.com)

A business owner was helping a customer when a man grabbed his keys and stole his car and guns Thursday. 

The alleged thief also got away with thousands of dollars worth of merchandise, the manager told Fox13Memphis.com.

Superior’s store manager, T. Ginem, was helping a customer when the crime took place.

"While our attention was towards the other customers, [the man] reached over the counter and took the keys," Ginem said.

The incident was caught on a security camera. 

On the surveillance video, one of Ginem’s employees is seen walking into the store and setting the car keys on the counter.

Minutes later, a man snags them from the counter and takes off. 

>> Read more trending news

"He power walked out of here. We didn't realize the vehicle was gone until half an hour later,” Ginem said. 

The man can be seen on outdoor surveillance camera video hopping into the car and speeding off. The manager was not just upset with the car being stolen, he also had thousands of dollars in merchandise taken along with multiple guns.

"I had an AK-47, a 9 mm, and a 40 mm,” Ginem said.

This year, more guns have been stolen from cars than any other location.

According to Memphis Police Department numbers obtained by Fox13Memphis.com, in June and July alone, there were more than 100 guns stolen each month in the city.

"[I’m] extremely worried about the guns, man, because you don't want them in the wrong hands,” Ginem said.

A quick crime map of the area surrounding the store revealed eight carjackings and roughly 100 auto thefts in the last two months.

Ginem said multiple people have already told him who committed the theft.

"He just recently got out of jail. He has nothing to lose,” he said.

Memphis police are now trying to make an arrest.

Ginem said he is going to be thinking about the whole ordeal for a while.

"We are looking at least $12,000 [lost], so it is going to hurt my pocket, but it's a lesson learned,” he said.

Fox13Memphis.com was unable to confirm the suspect’s identity with police but authorities are asking for the public's assistance. Anyone with information about where the man is, or where the stolen items are located, is asked to call police.

Ginem said he is offering a $1,000 reward to the person who leads police to an arrest.

Foreman says both signatures hers in boyfriend homicide case

Published: Friday, November 17, 2017 @ 7:03 AM

Harrison Twp. woman charged with shooting fiancé appears in court

UPDATE (11 a.m. Saturday)

The grand jury foreman whose signature is at the heart of a debate of a woman indicted for the manslaughter of her boyfriend testified Friday that she signs documents in more than one style.

“Yeah, I have multiple ways to sign my name,” the woman said Friday during a hearing in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Dennis Langer’s court.

Jessica Grieco’s attorney has asked the court to pay for a handwriting expert to examine the signatures on both a no true bill and of the indictment that states probable cause that Grieco killed Peter Underwood. Both documents were signed the same day.

Langer did not immediately rule on the defense motion to dismiss the indictment or to see the grand jury voting sheet.

(ORIGINAL STORY)

The new defense attorney of a woman indicted for involuntary manslaughter in the death of her boyfriend is continuing a legal challenge against the validity of the grand jury foreman’s signature, according to Montgomery County Common Pleas Court documents.

A hearing is scheduled for Friday afternoon in Judge Dennis Langer’s courtroom in which the grand jury foreman is scheduled to testify about why her signature looks different on two documents signed the same day.

RELATED: Attorney questions legality of grand juror’s autograph

Jessica Lynn Grieco, 34, was indicted July 26 on counts of involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide and domestic violence for the March 21 death of Peter Underwood, 32.

Jeffrey Gramza, Grieco’s former attorney, disputed the legality of the signatures of a no bill and an indictment signed about 2½ hours apart on the same day, alleging that they don’t match.

Grieco’s new attorney, Marshall Lachman, filed a motion Oct. 31 asking prosecutors to disclose the grand jury members responsible for the issuance of the indictment, or, in the alternative, disclose the grand jury vote.

RELATED: Harrison Twp. woman indicted in shooting death of fiancé

“At issue in this matter is whether the indictment was properly signed and (Grieco) was properly indicted under Ohio law,” Lachman wrote in his motion, adding that the state “should be required to disclose the grand jury voting sheet to confirm that the required seven grand jurors voted in favor of the indictment.”

Lachman also filed a motion for funds for a handwriting expert who is “necessary for a fair and competent defense in this matter.”

Prosecutors haven’t answered either motion in court filings, but Montgomery County Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr. said earlier that the signatures were from the same person.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

“I can’t remember if she used a different hand, if there was an issue with her hand,” Heck said in August. “I just remember that it was done by her, but it was done by the same person and the same name.”

Prosecutors responded to Gramza’s accusation with a motion to the court with a signed affidavit from the grand jury foreman, who said she signed both documents. The foreman did not mention why the signatures appear differently.

Grieco told a 911 dispatcher she accidentally shot her fiancé while attempting to unload a gun to prevent him from committing suicide. Underwood lived in a home on Claggett Drive in Harrison Twp. where the shooting occurred. He died of a shotgun wound to the chest, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

“He’s shot in the chest. Get here now!” Grieco yelled during the call. “He’s going to die!”

Grieco repeatedly yelled, “Oh my God!” and said: “I tried to unload it. It went off because he was trying to commit suicide earlier. I had to take a rope from him earlier,” she said in the call, which the Dayton Daily News obtained through a public records request.

Suspect arrested by Dayton police in double-shooting has Monday court date

Published: Thursday, November 16, 2017 @ 9:46 PM
Updated: Friday, November 17, 2017 @ 10:32 PM

Double shooting: Gunshot victims had baby in car

UPDATE @ 10:15 p.m. (Nov. 17): Dayton police have made an arrest in Thursday night’s double-shooting they believe occurred in the city and involved a pursuit that ended up in Harrison Twp. with two victims and a 1-year-old, in their car.

Michael Sanders, 44, was arrested just before 1 a.m. Friday, according to Montgomery County Jail records. Police investigators are working their theory that he and the victims were the only three adults involved in the incident.

Police also have seized a vehicle they think Sanders was driving.

According to the police incident report, police list the 3900 block of Necco Avenue in Dayton, near North Gettysburg Avenue, as the location where the incident began. Deputies and police found the car carrying the victims and the child on Evansville Avenue near Falmouth Avenue in Harrison Twp., several blocks to the north of Necco.

Police have not said Sanders was the shooter, but he is being detained as the only suspect in the case.

He remains in jail tonight, with a scheduled Monday court date on several felony charges that include five counts of felonious assault, and single counts of having weapons as a convict and illegal discharge of a firearm.

Michael Sanders (Courtesy/Montgomery County Jail)

Police have not released the names of the male, 25, and female, 20, wounded in the shooting.

The 1-year-old boy, in the rear seat of the shot-up car, is in the custody of family members. He is believed to be related to the woman, who was the driver, police said.

EARLIER REPORT (Nov. 16)

A young child was riding in a car with two gunshot victims Thursday night, officials said.

The gunshot victims were in a car that stopped on Evansville Avenue in the block just south of the Falmouth Avenue intersection in Harrison Twp.

>> 1 shot, wounded in Dayton apartment building

The double-shooting possibly occurred along or near North Gettysburg Avenue in Dayton.

The victims are a male and a female, and one was reportedly shot in the chest, according to reports. 

A woman who described herself of the aunt of the female victim said the boy was a year old.

One deputy was seen holding a baby inside a cruiser before Montgomery County Children Services investigators arrived on scene.

>> Miami U. student accused of filming rape of unconscious student

Police were dispatched just after 9 p.m. on the report of a double-shooting.

Male, female shot in double shooting in Harrison Twp.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com