Jury exonerates man in June 2012 slaying

Published: Monday, July 15, 2013 @ 7:55 PM
Updated: Monday, July 15, 2013 @ 7:55 PM

A 33-year-old man accused of murder in a June 2012 shooting has been cleared of all charges by a jury.

Judge Mary Wiseman said the Montgomery County Common Pleas jury found Demond J. “Mont” Harris not guilty on two counts of murder and two counts of felonious assault in the killing of Keith Moore.

The jury, which got the case at about 3:13 p.m. Monday, reached its verdict at about 7 p.m., Wiseman said.

At the trial that began Tuesday (July 9), county Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Jill Sink told the jury the evidence would show that Harris finished with gunshots what started as an argument and fistfight between Moore and another man.

Defense attorney Tina McFall told the jury of nine women and three men that the evidence would show Harris was not guilty, but McFall pointed to the other man in the initial conflict - a potential witness - as the shooter.

Moore, 25, was shot to death in the early morning of June 1, 2012, near Xenia Avenue and George Street.

Friends said Moore had been at a nearby house playing video games until about 5 a.m. on the day he was killed.

Harris in 1999 was convicted of felonious assault and sentenced to four years in after three years were added because a firearm was used in the incident. In 2007, he was sentenced to five years in prison in a case stemming from a felonious assault, possessing a weapon as a felon and drug possession (cocaine). He was released from prison in January 2011.

Man charged in 2005 disappearance, death of Georgia beauty queen

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 1:11 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 3:48 PM


            Man charged in 2005 disappearance, death of Georgia beauty queen

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced Thursday afternoon that a man has been arrested in connection with the 2005 disappearance and murder of Georgia teacher Tara Grinstead.

>> Read more trending stories

Agents said someone walked into the sheriff's office earlier this week with information linking a man named Ryan Alexander Duke to Grinstead's disappearance and murder.

Duke attended the high school where Grinstead worked and graduated three years prior to her disappearance, according to the GBI.

He was arrested Wednesday afternoon.

GBI officials said the investigation continues and that authorities plan to do more interviews.

WSBTV reported on Thursday morning that authorities had gotten a major break in the more than 10-year-old case.

Grinstead, a former beauty pageant queen, was reported missing from her Ocilla home in October 2005.

Witnesses last saw Grinstead at a beauty pageant and then at a co-worker's barbecue on Oct. 22, 2005. Two days later, she was reported missing when she didn't show up to teach history at the county high school.

In a February 2006 interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Anita Gattis said her sister would not have left on her own.

Gattis believed her sister left with someone she knew on the night she disappeared. Her house was locked but her car, a pearl white Mitsubishi 3000 GT, was unlocked and in the carport, with $100 in the console and clay on the tires.

"Tara never left her car unlocked and never drove on dirt roads," Gattis said.

Police found Grinstead's cellphone at her home. They also found a single latex glove outside.

"There was no struggle in the house. Tara was a singer. That was her talent in pageants," Gattis said of her sister, thrice crowned Miss Tifton and a contestant in several Miss Georgia pageants. "If someone was removing her, she'd project her voice. And she took self-defense. She'd go out kicking and screaming and fighting."

Related

Missing Georgia Teacher Feb 23, 2017 - 3:38 PM

Shop owner shames alleged thieves by posting security footage on Facebook

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 5:45 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 5:45 PM


            Shop owner shames alleged thieves by posting security footage on Facebook

One shop owner in Albuquerque has implemented a high tech meets old school approach to deter shoplifting.

JT Daniels, who owns an exotic pet shop, told KOB that he's installed HD security cameras around his store after incidents of shoplifting. After each theft, instead of calling police, he's posting the high-quality footage to his Facebook page to share and hopefully identify the alleged thieves.

>> Read more trending stories

I really hope this doesn't become a "thing"..😞😞A couple that steals together stays together!! I had a baby chameleon go...

Posted by JT Daniels on Tuesday, February 21, 2017

After a man allegedly stole a baby chameleon on Valentine's Day, Daniels posted security footage and wrote on his Facebook page, "This hopeless romantic took his girlfriend to the pet store for valentines day to shoplift her present."

In another case, Daniels told KOB that a person returned a stolen turtle after receiving unwanted attention on Facebook, thanks to the security footage he posted.

San Francisco police officer rescued by good Samaritans after street attack

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 5:16 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 5:16 PM


            San Francisco police officer rescued by good Samaritans after street attack

When a San Francisco police officer approached a homeless man for alleged public indecency, the situation quickly turned serious when the man attacked the officer and tackled him to the ground.

The incident was caught on camera and the video also captured a group of citizens who jumped in to help the officer.

>> Read more trending news  

It happened on Feb. 19 as the officer was trying to arrest the man, according to KTVU. The situation quickly got out of hand as the officer was pinned to the ground and calling for help.

That’s when the good Samaritans came to the rescue, prying the man off the officer and holding him down until more officers arrived on the scene. The man was then taken into custody.

San Francisco PD’s Officer Giselle Talkoff said the situation quickly became very dangerous for the officer and a “scary” scene for the public to see.

“The fact that we had citizens who came to the assistance of the officer was really helpful and a great feeling that people are out there (who will) help and support,” Talkoff told KTVU.

 The officer suffered cuts and bruises in the scuffle.

Accident involving school bus reported in Clayton

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 4:24 PM

Update@4:59 p.m.:

The accident occurred when two cars collided in the intersection and clipped the bus, which was nearby. There were several children on board the bus, but none was injured, officials said. 

The Ohio Highway Patrol is investigating the accident, and has not yet released the bus from the scene. 

The bus, which belongs to Northmont schools, has minor damage. 

First report:

We have reports of an accident involving a school bus on Arlington-Baltimore Phillipsburg Pike in Clayton. 

Heavy damage reported, and children are said to be on board the bus. It’s unclear if there  are injuries.

It’s unknown at this time what school the bus belongs to.

We have a crew on the way to the accident scene, and we’ll bring you the latest information as it becomes available.