Jesse Whitaker guilty in 2015 alcohol-related case

Published: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 @ 4:28 PM
Updated: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 @ 8:36 PM

            A man convicted nearly three years ago of killing three teens in a car accident was arrested Tuesday night for driving drunk, officials said Wednesday morning.

UPDATE @ 4:54 p.m. (Oct. 13): Jesse Whitaker entered a guilty plea in Fairborn Municipal Court to one count of operating a motor vehicle under the influence and one count of possession and consumption while operating a motor vehicle.

He has been sentenced as follows:

 *  Twenty-eight days in jail followed by 30 days on house arrest that includes an alcohol monitor.
 *  Three years of supervised community control to include drug and alcohol treatment and a $450 fine.
 *  The judge is allowing work release, which means Whitaker is to report to the Xenia City Jail on Oct. 28.
 *  His driver's license has been suspended for two years, retroactive to March 17 (the day of the charge).
 *  Whitaker will have no driving privileges until he shows proof of insurance.
 *  On the possession charge, the sentence is to run concurrently with his OVI conviction, plus a $100 fine.

 * Whitaker also pleaded guilty to one count of falsification.
 * Two other charges were dropped as part of the plea agreement. according to court record.

UPDATE @ 4:15 p.m. (May 5)

A judge has modified Jesse Whitaker’s bond to include requiring him to wear an alcohol monitoring device.

Fairborn Municipal Judge Beth Root gave the order during a hearing and noted that Whitaker will be required to wear the device until the court decides otherwise. If Whitaker consumes alcohol while wearing the device, he could be fined or sent to jail, according to the court.

UPDATE @ 8:58 p.m. (April 11)

A 20-year-old man convicted in a fatal crash was arrested this morning on an alcohol-related charge less than a month after he was arrested in an OVI crash.

Jesse Whitaker, 20, was arrested at 4:10 a.m. by University of Dayton police for alleged underage alcohol consumption. He was booked into the Montgomery County Jail at 4:37 a.m. and was released at 11:30 a.m., according to jail staff.

A UD spokeswoman said the university doesn’t release police reports.

Whitaker is scheduled to appear Monday in court, according to jail records.

The former Bellbrook High School student in 2012 crashed a pickup truck he was driving and killed three teen girls who were riding in his vehicle. He was 17 at the time. Speed, not alcohol, was a factor in the fatal crash that claimed his Bellbrook classmates, officials said.

Whitaker last year pleaded guilty in the vehicular manslaughter case, and was sentenced to two years probation; 300 hours of community service; and his driver’s license was suspended until he is 21.

He was arrested March 17 in Beavercreek for alleged drunken driving after he crashed his vehicle into a guardrail on the ramp from west U.S. 35 to north Interstate 675, according to Beavercreek police. Neither he nor his passenger were hurt.

He has a pretrial hearing June 1 in Fairborn Municipal Court on the misdemeanor charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. Also following his arrest last month, Whitaker faces misdemeanor charges of driving under suspension, failure to control, falsification for providing his brother’s birthdate and consuming alcohol under age 21, court records show.


A man convicted nearly three years ago of killing three teens in a car accident was arrested Tuesday night, March 17, for driving drunk, officials said Wednesday morning.

Jesse Whitaker, 20, reportedly crashed his car on the ramp from westbound U.S. route 35 to Interstate 675 north, striking the guardrail. Neither he nor his passenger was injured.

Whitaker, a former Bellbrook High School student, was given a field sobriety test before he was arrested, said Beavercreek police Capt. Eric Grile, who is in charge of the crash investigation. Grile noted that Whitaker refused to take a Breathalyzer test.

In 2012, Whitaker was convicted after the pickup truck he was driving crashed and killed three teen girls who were riding in the vehicle. He was 17 at the time.

The victims, Julianna Hawk, 14; Sophie Kerrigan, 17; and Skylar Kooken, 16, were riding inside the extended cab of the pickup truck. They were traveling on Wagner Road near Oleva Drive after midnight when the vehicle crashed into a tree. Two other students were injured.

Speed, not alcohol, was a factor in the crash, officials said. Whitaker pleaded guilty in April 2014 and sentenced to two years probation, 300 hours of community service and his license was suspended until age 21.

“Obviously, it’s disturbing that anyone’s out, operating under the influence. But it happens,” Grile said. “We’re not naive enough to think that it doesn’t. We’re fortunate in this case that it was a single vehicle crash, that he didn’t hurt himself or his passenger.

“Based on his past, one would hope that he would learn some lessons from the previous crash,” Grile continued. “Obviously, his behavior last night would indicate that he has not.”

Whitaker’s 2012 case was transferred to Franklin County when he moved to Columbus.

He now faces misdemeanor charges of DUI, driving under suspension, failure to control, falsification for providing his brother’s birthdate and consuming under the age of 21.

“He does not see the severity of the actions of driving under the influence of alcohol,” said Grile. “It’s really the fact that he was driving, and after his history, that one would expect that his behavior would have changed, and it’s disappointing to find out that it did not.”

Whitaker appeared in court Wednesday, but was released on his own recognizance. His next court appearance is scheduled for March 24.

Suspect in fatal police chase crash begs deputies ‘Kill me’

Published: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 @ 2:30 PM

The suspect in Monday’s fatal police-involved pursuit crash that killed another person on North Dixie Drive in Harrison Twp. told deputies immediately after, “Kill me, please kill me.”

Jordan Harville, 24, of Clayton, told Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office deputies that he was “a dope fiend” and asked, “… you think I give a (expletive) about my life?”

RELATED: Chase suspect told deputies he used heroin during pursuit

Harville was arrested after the crash that killed Anthony Hufford, 28, after police said the stolen Ford F250 pickup Harville stole in Miami County struck Hufford’s Honda Accord.

Harville had his bond set at $75,000 in Troy Municipal Court, and officials said more charges are coming for the pursuit and crash.

RELATED: 5 things to know about deadly police pursuit

Harville also had been wanted on a warrant from Montgomery County Common Pleas Court case in which he didn’t report on probation after he received intervention in lieu of a conviction for a low-level felony case for breaking and entering a barn.

FOLLOW: Mark Gokavi on Twitter and Facebook

Deputies’ reports said that after Harville exited the pickup that had flipped, he jumped from the bed of the truck and tried to run through a parking lot. Deputies apprehended Harville, who had blood on his hands and nose from the crash.

Deputies wrote that Harville was belligerent and didn’t comply with orders, so they used force to secure him in a Miami County deputy’s cruiser.

Harville screamed “my (expletive) life is ruined,” a deputy wrote.

RELATED: Troopers not involved in deadly chase

At one point, emergency personnel asked Harville what he had taken. Harville told the medic he was drunk, according to the incident report.

“He would slide completely off the seat and be unresponsive, and then wake up. He then stated he used heroin,” a deputy wrote.

Harville told the sheriff’s deputy he used heroin during the police pursuit.

Police: Bus driver set to take kids on field trip was high on marijuana

Published: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 @ 4:37 PM

Police in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, arrested Ali Mahfuz, 63, on Tuesday, March 28, 2017.
Chelmsford Police Department

Authorities arrested a school bus driver Tuesday after he allegedly drove a bus while high on marijuana.

>> Read more trending news

Officers were called Tuesday morning to Chelmsford High School in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, after students reported smelling a strange odor on the school bus they had boarded for a field trip. The students notified a teacher, who contacted the Chelmsford Police Department. The students were taken off the bus.

Officers determined that the bus driver, 63-year-old Ali Mahfuz, was high on marijuana. Mahfuz was charged with operating under the influence of drugs, operating negligently as to endanger and reckless endangerment.

Before arriving at Chelmsford High School, Mahfuz drove a route for Greater Lowell Technical High School in Tyngsborough.

Mahfuz is employed by North Reading Transportation Inc. The company is cooperating with the investigation.

Chelmsford police Chief James Spinney praised the students for speaking up.

"I cannot overstate the role played by the students today in ensuring their safety on the roads," Spinney said. "They knew something was not right, and they spoke up right away, alerting school administrators. I commend these students for their role in stopping a dangerous situation from unfolding."

Mahfuz is scheduled for arraignment Tuesday in Lowell District Court.

Court date pushed back for West Liberty school shooting suspect

Published: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 @ 3:16 PM
Updated: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 @ 3:17 PM

A competency hearing for the 17-year-old suspect in the West Liberty-Salem High School shooting has been pushed back.

Ely Serna was scheduled to appear in court Wednesday morning but that hearing has been moved to April 7, the Champaign County Juvenile Court said in a statement.

RELATED: Judge orders competency hearing for West Liberty shooting suspect

The new date was set at the agreement of counsel, Champaign County Prosecutor Kevin Talebi said, to allow for more hearing time.

The competency hearing is to determine whether Serna can understand court proceedings and if he will be able to assist in his own defense, the Springfield News-Sun previously reported.

READ MORE: West Liberty suspect asked victim to shoot him, report says

Serna has been accused of shooting two students and firing several shotgun shots in a restroom and hallway of West Liberty-Salem High School on Jan. 20.

He faces numerous charges, including two counts of attempted murder; three counts of felonious assault; six counts of improperly discharging a firearm; and single counts of inducing panic and illegal conveyance of a deadly weapon in a school, according to the county prosecutor’s office.

Prosecutors are seeking to try Serna as an adult.

He was taken into custody the morning of the shooting and has been held in a juvenile detention center since then.

Logan Cole was shot in the chest and back. He has returned to school part-time. His marked his 17th birthday last week.

DETAILS: Community welcomes home West Liberty-Salem HS shooting victim

His father, Ryan Cole, wished him well on Facebook for his birthday.

“Your heart of compassion for others and kind hearted spirit is an example to me,” Ryan Cole said. “I could not be prouder of how you have allowed God to work through your life these past number of months.”

Tenn. couple arrested for allegedly attempting to sell baby on Craigslist

Published: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 @ 9:36 AM

A Tennessee couple is in police custody after they attempted to sell their 5-month-old baby online. 

>> Read more trending news

John David Cain, 26, and Deanna Lynn Greer, 37, placed an ad on Craigslist, where they listed their infant for sale for $3,000, WATE reported on Saturday, citing the Greene County Sheriff’s Office.

The couple was detained by state agents during a sting operation that ended Friday when Cain and Greer attempted to exchange the baby for cash with state agents.

Cain and Greer were arrested and charged with aggravated child abuse and aggravated child neglect or endangerment.

They are both being held on a $150,000 bond.

The baby is currently in state custody, according to WATE.


Man holding baby 2 hours ago