log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, December 29, 2017 @ 1:58 PM
MIDDLETOWN — A hearing for a Trenten man charged with robbing a bank has been continued.
Dustin F. Pedersen, 36, is charged with aggravated robbery for allegedly robbing the Fifth Third Bank on Dec. 16. According to Trenton police, he presented his girlfriend with ring the next day. Police believe that could be a motive to the robbery.
Pedersen was scheduled to appear in Middletown Municipal Court today for a preliminary hearing, but the case was continued after he retained an attorney. The hearing is now scheduled for Jan. 3.
West Chester police also have issued a warrant for Pedersen’s arrest in connection with the Dec. 22 aggravated robbery of US Bank on Tylers Place Boulevard.
He is being held in the Middletown Jail on $250,000 bond.
In an affidavit to search Pedersen’s residence on North Miami Street, Trenton Detective Sean Gill said a man robbed the bank wearing two-tone gray Columbia jacket, mirror sunglasses and an orange Titleist hat. The robber passed a torn piece of paper stating he wanted $20,000 and that he had a bomb strapped to him, according to the court documents. The man left with $8,800.
On Friday, the man suspected of being the same person, wearing the same jacket, a Titleist hat and white shoes with a black logo, robbed the West Chester bank. According to the court affidavit, the man also said he has a bomb strapped to his body.
Gill said numerous people called Trenton police stating Pedersen is the suspect in the robberies and pointing to his Facebook page that had pictures of himself wearing the same hat from both robberies.
“A search of his Facebook page confirmed that he does have pictures of himself wearing the same hats,” Gill wrote in the affidavit. “Mr. Pedersen gave his fiance … a ring on Sunday, a day after the Trenton robbery and (the fiance) stated that the ring was worth $5,000. Mr. Pedersen stated he paid cash for the ring.”
During questioning by Gill at the police station, Pedersen denied robbing the banks.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 9:30 AM
Updated: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 6:00 PM
SPRINGFIELD — UPDATE @ 6 p.m.
Charges have been dropped against a juvenile, but an 18-year-old Springfield resident remains accused of shooting a man in the chest last week.
Elrashawn T. Dover, pleaded not guilty during his arraignment Sunday in Clark County Municipal Court. His bond was set at $250,000 and a public defender was appointed. He also was ordered to have no contact with the victim, should he post bail.
The victim was stepping out of his car shortly after 2 p.m. Jan. 8 in the 300 block of West Grand Avenue in Springfield. He told police he heard gunfire and then felt a gunshot to his chest, according to court documents.
"He said he grabbed his chest and could see blood on his hand," police say in court records.
The victim's brother then drove him to the Springfield Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for a gunshot wound to the right side of his chest and was expected to recover, police said.
Court records showed the victim identified Dover as the shooter after reviewing a photo lineup.
Dover already was in the Clark County Jail on several unrelated charges.
Springfield police also arrested last week a male juvenile who a witness identified as involved in the shooting and booked him into juvenile detention on an attempted murder charge, according to court records.
Clark County prosecutors requested to dismiss the charges against the teen, which the juvenile judge granted.
"Right now everything is looking and pointing toward (Dover) and we dismissed at this point to give us more time to make sure whether the juvenile is involved or not," Clark County Assistant Prosecutor Bill Merrell said. "We don't know that yet."
Two people, including a juvenile, were arrested and charged with attempted murder in connection to a Jan. 8 shooting on West Grand Avenue in Springfield.
The victim was stepping out of his car in the 300 block of West Grand and heard gunshots and then felt a gunshot to his chest, court documents read.
Last Friday, the victim identified Elrashawn T. Dover, 18, as the person who shot him after reviewing a photo lineup, court records showed.
Police arrested the juvenile the day after the shooting and booked him into juvenile detention.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 3:51 PM
MIDDLETOWN — When the Middletown police chief and two new City Council were having lunch Wednesday on the fourth floor of the City Building, they noticed through a window that it appeared two subjects were climbing a fire escape and entering a window on the upper floors of the former Manchester Inn.
So Chief Rodney Muterspaw, who was meeting with council members Joe Mulligan and Ami Vitori, called police dispatch to report the suspicious activity at the hotel that closed seven years ago.
MORE TRENDING NEWS
As the two suspects were illegally trying to enter the Manchester Inn, the police department’s K-9 team was training along with eight agencies of the Southwest Regional K-9 Training Team at the city’s K-9 training center near the Middletown Regional Airport.
“Bad timing,” Muterspaw said with a laugh. “Real bad.”
Middletown’s K-9 officers Bear, Chase and Koda, along with dogs from the other police agencies, entered the building, said Officer Ryan Morgan, Chase’s handler. Morgan said there were 11 dogs stationed in and around the Manchester Inn.
“Dogs were barking everywhere,” Morgan said.
While Morgan and Chase were on the second floor, Chase, a 4-year-old German shepherd, indicted he smelled human scent, Morgan said. When they found the subjects hiding in a hotel room, Chase “showed force” and the subjects quickly surrendered, Morgan said.
Morgan said there is “no better training than real life scenarios.”
Nicholas Tsakeris, 18, and a juvenile were charged with criminal trespass, police said.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 2:45 PM
LEBANON — A judge today denied a Springboro teacher facing criminal charges in a drug case also involving her son treatment in lieu of conviction during a hearing in Warren County Common Pleas Court.
Amy Panzeca, 48, of Springboro, is facing charges of permitting drug abuse, contributing to the unruliness of a minor and endangering children in Warren County Common Pleas Court.
Judge Donald Oda II denied the motion for lack of evidence that Panzeca’s alleged drinking problem contributed to her permitting drug abuse in her home.
The case stems from traffic stops last year by Springboro police and a raid last May by the Warren County Drug Task Force of the Panzeca home in the Settlers Walk community in Springboro.
In December, her son, now 16, was sentenced to 30 more days in the local detention center as part of his sentence in Warren County Juvenile Court after pleading no contest to charges of trafficking in drugs and possession of controlled substances.
He got credit for 15 days already spent in detention, but was ordered to complete an in-patient treatment program.
Panzeca is accused of converting her son’s money, including a birthday gift, to Bitcoin, which he used to buy LSD, some of which he sold to about 20 Springboro students.
In December, Oda found an oral motion by Panzeca’s lawyer “to be well-taken, in part” and ordered the long-time teacher be examined.
Her lawyer, Andrea Ostrowski, filed a motion that said: “Drug or alcohol usage by the defendant was a factor leading to the instant offense.”
Offenders granted treatment in lieu of conviction must abstain from drugs and alcohol for 12 months, take part in treatment programs and submit to random testing in order to complete the diversion program. It also can include community service and financial restitution.
If offenders complete the program, the court dismisses the original charges and can potentially seal the records related to the case.
Since August, Panzeca has been free on her own recognizance, pending trial. She had been pressing for the identity of confidential informants in the case and suppression of statements made to police.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 3:03 PM
— The trial for alleged Trotwood “active shooter” Willam D. Gibson has been tentatively scheduled for March 5.
Gibson, 42, faces 10 counts of felonious assault on peace officers and 11 other counts for allegedly firing at police after calling 911 on Oct. 13, 2017 to say his wife accidentally shot herself.
Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Dennis Adkins scheduled the trial date during his Wednesday docket. Attorneys indicated the date could be continued due to plea negotiations.
Adkins ruled during a Jan. 11 hearing that unrecorded statements Gibson allegedly made in the back of a cruiser would be allowed at trial.
Gibson was transported to Montgomery County Jail after a standoff with police after his 911 call in which he said his wife accidentally shot herself in the leg. Gibson had not been given Miranda warnings when he was placed in a Trotwood cruiser.
That’s when Gibson allegedly said, “‘I probably shouldn’t have shot my wife, should I?” according to Trotwood police officer Bethany Morrissette, who testified during the Jan. 11 suppression hearing.
“After that, I said, ‘No, you probably shouldn’t have,’ ” Morrissette added. “And I believe I said, ‘You probably shouldn’t have shot at us, either.’ “
Morrissette told assistant Montgomery County prosecutor Meagan Woodall that there is no recording of Gibson’s or her comments after the incident that drew several law enforcement agencies and multiple SWAT teams to Wolf Creek Pike for 2½ hours.
On cross examination, Morrissette told public defender Michael Pentecost that Gibson also said: “I just want to go see a judge tomorrow and plead guilty. I don’t want to spend any time in Montgomery County (Jail), I hate Montgomery County. I know I’m going to prison for a long time.”