Fatal shooting suspect arraigned in court

Published: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 @ 11:59 PM

Police have released a 911 call in regards to a fatal shooting early Wednesday morning.

UPDATE @ 11:24 a.m. (Nov. 8)

One of two suspects in the deadly Oct. 25 shooting on Riverside Drive appeared for an arraignment today in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

The court entered a plea of not guilty on behalf of 29-year-old Curtis McShann, who is being held in the Montgomery County Jail. Bond was set for him at $1 million.

UPDATE @ 4 p.m. (Nov. 4):

One of two suspects in a shooting last month that wounded three and killed one was indicted today.

Curtis M. McShann, 29, is charged with four counts of murder; five counts of aggravated robbery; four counts of felonious assault; three counts of having weapons under disability for prior offense of violence; and once count each of aggravated burglary; discharge of firearm on or near prohibited premises; improper discharge of a firearm at or into a habitation; and one count of having weapons under disability, according to a Montgomery County grand jury report released today. All counts include three-year firearm specifications, except for the weapons charges.

McShann is being held on $1 million bond and will be arraigned Tuesday

According to prosecutors and police, McShann around 10:45 p.m. Oct. 25 was involved in a shooting in the 3300 block of Riverside Drive. Brandon Lanier, 27, was killed, and three others were shot and taken to a local hospital. McShann and 22-year-old Jamarko E. Walker Jr. were later arrested.

UPDATE @ 4:43 p.m. (Oct. 28): The Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office has approved some charges against Jarmarko Walker Jr. and Curtis McShann – none of which arise from the continuing homicide investigation of this week’s Ryburn Avenue shooting.

Police investigators and a prosecutor’s panel will meet sometime next week, said Greg Flannagan, spokesman for Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr.’s office.

The charges for Walker are single counts of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and weapons possession as a felon. He has a 2014 drug conviction.

The charges for McShann are one count of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and two counts of weapon possession as a felon. His prior convictions involved a drug offense in 2008 and an offense involving violence, also in 2008.

UPDATE @ 9 p.m. (Oct. 26):

A 27-year-old Dayton man died Tuesday night in a shooting involving dozens of rounds that resulted in three other people being taken to a hospital. It was the city’s 31st homicide of the year.

“Earlier this afternoon, Dayton police homicide detectives arrested two individuals. Right now they are being charged with aggravated robbery; they are persons of interest in the homicide which occurred on Ryburn Avenue last evening,” Dayton police Lt. Mark Ponichtera said. “Charges will be presented to the Montgomery County prosecutor for full review in connection to this homicide.”

The robbery charges stem from an incident that happened before the shooting, the lieutenant said, but it’s not clear whether it is connected to the shooting that killed Brandon Lanier and sent three others to local hospitals for treatment. Ponichtera said three of the people shot were visitors to a home, and that when they emerged the shooting began.

About 50 rounds were fired, but the lieutenant would not release details on how many different calibers or guns were believed to be involved.

UPDATE @ 5:30 p.m. (Oct. 26):

Two men were arrested on aggravated robbery charges today, whom police confirmed were also persons of interest in the fatal shooting Tuesday night on Ryburn Avenue.

Dayton police identified the suspects as Curtis McShann, 29, and Jemarko Walker Jr., 22, who were both booked into the Montgomery County Jail this afternoon.

UPDATE @ 12:22 p.m. (Oct. 26):

The Montgomery County Coroner’s office has identified the deceased shooting victim as Brandon Lanier, 27, of Dayton. An autopsy showed Lanier died from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Three other shooting victims were treated at Good Samaritan hospital. One remains in critical condition.

Lanier was jailed September 18, 2016 on a drug possession charge. Police have not said the shooting was drug-related.

FIRST REPORT (Oct. 25)

Dayton police said one man is dead and three other people were shot on Ryburn Avenue late Tuesday night.

Officers were dispatched to the 400 block of Ryburn Avenue around 11:45 p.m. on reports of a shooting.

Dayton Police Lt. Mark Ponichtera said when officers arrived on scene, one person, only identified as a black man in his middle to late 20s, was found shot and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ponichtera said while police were investigating the scene, three additional shooting victims were dropped off by a private vehicle at Good Samaritan Hospital.

One of the additional victim has life-threatening injuries, while the other two have non-life threatening injuries.

Investigators said upwards of 50 rounds were shot, but police did not release how many different type of calibers were found. Ponichtera added the incident is not being called a gunfight yet and police are unsure on what led up to the incident.

Two people were being interviewed at the scene by investigators, but police were also unsure of their roles, if any, in the shooting. Police were also in the process of asking neighbors if they witnessed the incident.

Ponichtera said a four-door Chevrolet Impala is believed to have fled during the shooting and is still unaccounted for. The car is described as having bullet holes and is either black with silver doors, or a silver with black doors, as investigators have received conflicting reports on the car’s colors.

Anyone with information on the incident is urged to contact Dayton police.

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

Trending - Most Read Stories

WATCH: Security camera captures two men who terrified kids home alone

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 5:43 PM

WATCH: Home secuirty cameras help police close attempted burglary case in Dayton.

It’s any parents, and kids, worst nightmare. Strangers, trying to bust down the front door of a dayton home, just minutes after parents left for work, and their 11-year-old kids home alone.

TRENDING: Students charged with felony crimes amid rash of local school threats

Dayton police have opened an investigation. A security camera on a neighbor’s house on holly avenue in dayton captured the faces of two men, wearing lanyards, going door to door. They avoided homes with visible security cameras.

TRENDING: Family member arrested after two burned in house fire

They moved on to the house where two kids were home alone. They began banging on the front door for approximately ten minutes, according to a Dayton Police report. Then the men began thrusting their shoulders against the door.

WATCH: Security camera captures two men who terrified kids home alone

"When you do that to our front door, our whole house shakes, so our kids were pretty upset,” said Christina Baine, the children’s mother. 

Her two kids never approached or opened the door, just as they were taught.

“After a few times of doing that, he did retreat and leave," added Baine. 

Surveillance video is the best lead police have to go on right now. We’ve blurred their faces because they have not been charged with a crime. When we showed the video to neighbors along Holly Avenue, the remembered the men walking the sidewalks and thought they looked suspicious.

Now the Baine family has installed its own security cameras. 

WHIO’s Kate Bartley will continue following this story. Follow her on Facebook and Twitter.

If you have information regarding the suspicious activity on Holly Ave., contact Dayton Police at 333-COPS.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Teen charged in connection with crash that killed Greenon student

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 1:34 PM

A 16-year-old Greenon High School student was killed Sunday in a car crash in Enon — the third student in the district to die in a fatal accident this school year.

A Greenon High School student has been charged in connection with a crash that killed another student in October.

Andrew J. Scott, 16, faces charges of vehicular homicide and vehicular manslaughter in Clark County Juvenile Court.

Teen charged in connection with crash that killed Greenon student

RELATED: Greenon mourns 3rd student death in 2 months in fatal car crashes

Kendal “Kenny” DePhillip, a junior, died while a passenger in a car that crashed shortly before 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 17, on Fowler Road between Rebert Pike and Broadway Road in Clark County.

Scott allegedly went off the right side of the road, clipped a telephone pole and then hit another pole, Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers said. Scott sustained non-life threatening injuries, troopers said.

DETAILS: Teens killed in car crashes remembered, reminder of safety needs

DePhillip was the third Greenon student to die in a fatal crash last fall in a few months. His death followed a crash in August that killed David Waag and Connor Williams, both Greenon students.

Trending - Most Read Stories

NEW DETAILS: Owner, one of two killed in auto dealership shooting, served in military

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 3:19 PM


            Frank D. Buck
Frank D. Buck

The auto dealership owner found shot to death inside his business on Monday was a U.S. Army Vietnam War veteran who loved horses and cars, according to an online obituary.

Frank D. Buck, 71, and his friend, Lester Golson, 59, were both found dead of apparent gunshot wounds inside of Buck-I Auto Sales after what Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office deputies said was a struggle involving a gun.

Investigators were not searching for anyone after the shooting, believing that the incident was “contained” inside the dealership at 2801 N. Dixie Drive.

RELATED: Two men shot to death on North Dixie Drive were friends

Buck operated his car dealership for more than 30 years, the obit said. Services were pending at Newcomer North Chapel, 4104 Needmore Rd. The obit said contributions to help pay for expenses can be made through the funeral home’s website.

Buck is survived by his children, Shelly Buck, Laura Hurst, Candace Buck and Frank DJ Buck, six grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, ex-wife Penny Buck and many relatives and friends, according to Buck’s obituary.

“My father was a loving man would do anything in the world for just about anybody, he was loved by a lot he was always smiling, laughing, and joking around,” Candace Buck told this news organization earlier this week. “My condolences are with the Golson family during this very hard time.”

FIRST REPORT: 2 men found shot to death inside auto dealership

Golson’s obituary is not yet available. Efforts to get comment from his family or friends have been unsuccessful.

Buck-I Auto Sales was broken into Jan. 5, 2016, according to a sheriff’s incident report that said one of the windows in an overhead door was smashed.

A friend, not Golson, of Buck’s who was watching the business while Buck was out of town called police. That report said there were no surveillance cameras on the property.

Nearly three weeks later from the first incident, another report said a car was stolen but recovered from the Jan. 5, 2016 crime and that it appeared that the dealership was vandalized again as part of an effort to steal a car. A different stolen car was located in November 2016, according to sheriff’s office incident reports.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

“It is my understanding Mr. Buck was putting up cameras,” a Jan. 23, 2016 report read, adding that there were no suspects and no leads.

A woman who tried to get into the business Monday and saw one man point a gun at another then called 911 to report that she saw people get into a “tussle” before she heard three gunshots.

LISTEN: The 911 call about the North Dixie shooting

In the sometimes frantic 6-minute call at 1:22 p.m., the woman said, “I was trying to get to my car and get to the phone to call the police then I heard gunshots.”

Deputies investigating the shootings earlier this week did not locate any surveillance cameras at the property.

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office on Thursday said the two men’s cause and manner of death were still listed as “pending” due to the ongoing investigation.

LISTEN: The 911 call about the North Dixie shooting

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Trending - Most Read Stories

Father intentionally killed 5-year-old son, police say

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 11:54 AM

Police: 5-Year-Old Son Intentionally Killed By Father

father is in custody after police say he intentionally killed his 5-year-old son at a DeKalb County, Georgia, home Wednesday night.

>> Read more trending news

It was not immediately clear what led to the homicide or how the boy was killed.

According to police, the child lived at a home on Rocky Pine Drive in Lithonia with his grandmother. His parents drove from California for an unannounced visit Wednesday, authorities said.

The boy’s mother and grandmother left the home, returned and “learned that the child had been murdered,” police spokeswoman Shiera Campbell told WSBTV.

Three other children were inside the home at the time of the killing, but were not injured, the news station reported. 

Police have not released the names of the father and child.

"Right now, the father is in custody,” Campbell said. “He is a 25-year-old male.” 

Authorities continued to investigate the incident Thursday.

Trending - Most Read Stories