Fatal shooting suspect arraigned in court

Published: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 @ 11:59 PM

Police have released a 911 call in regards to a fatal shooting early Wednesday morning.

UPDATE @ 11:24 a.m. (Nov. 8)

One of two suspects in the deadly Oct. 25 shooting on Riverside Drive appeared for an arraignment today in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

The court entered a plea of not guilty on behalf of 29-year-old Curtis McShann, who is being held in the Montgomery County Jail. Bond was set for him at $1 million.

UPDATE @ 4 p.m. (Nov. 4):

One of two suspects in a shooting last month that wounded three and killed one was indicted today.

Curtis M. McShann, 29, is charged with four counts of murder; five counts of aggravated robbery; four counts of felonious assault; three counts of having weapons under disability for prior offense of violence; and once count each of aggravated burglary; discharge of firearm on or near prohibited premises; improper discharge of a firearm at or into a habitation; and one count of having weapons under disability, according to a Montgomery County grand jury report released today. All counts include three-year firearm specifications, except for the weapons charges.

McShann is being held on $1 million bond and will be arraigned Tuesday

According to prosecutors and police, McShann around 10:45 p.m. Oct. 25 was involved in a shooting in the 3300 block of Riverside Drive. Brandon Lanier, 27, was killed, and three others were shot and taken to a local hospital. McShann and 22-year-old Jamarko E. Walker Jr. were later arrested.

UPDATE @ 4:43 p.m. (Oct. 28): The Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office has approved some charges against Jarmarko Walker Jr. and Curtis McShann – none of which arise from the continuing homicide investigation of this week’s Ryburn Avenue shooting.

Police investigators and a prosecutor’s panel will meet sometime next week, said Greg Flannagan, spokesman for Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr.’s office.

The charges for Walker are single counts of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and weapons possession as a felon. He has a 2014 drug conviction.

The charges for McShann are one count of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and two counts of weapon possession as a felon. His prior convictions involved a drug offense in 2008 and an offense involving violence, also in 2008.

UPDATE @ 9 p.m. (Oct. 26):

A 27-year-old Dayton man died Tuesday night in a shooting involving dozens of rounds that resulted in three other people being taken to a hospital. It was the city’s 31st homicide of the year.

“Earlier this afternoon, Dayton police homicide detectives arrested two individuals. Right now they are being charged with aggravated robbery; they are persons of interest in the homicide which occurred on Ryburn Avenue last evening,” Dayton police Lt. Mark Ponichtera said. “Charges will be presented to the Montgomery County prosecutor for full review in connection to this homicide.”

The robbery charges stem from an incident that happened before the shooting, the lieutenant said, but it’s not clear whether it is connected to the shooting that killed Brandon Lanier and sent three others to local hospitals for treatment. Ponichtera said three of the people shot were visitors to a home, and that when they emerged the shooting began.

About 50 rounds were fired, but the lieutenant would not release details on how many different calibers or guns were believed to be involved.

UPDATE @ 5:30 p.m. (Oct. 26):

Two men were arrested on aggravated robbery charges today, whom police confirmed were also persons of interest in the fatal shooting Tuesday night on Ryburn Avenue.

Dayton police identified the suspects as Curtis McShann, 29, and Jemarko Walker Jr., 22, who were both booked into the Montgomery County Jail this afternoon.

UPDATE @ 12:22 p.m. (Oct. 26):

The Montgomery County Coroner’s office has identified the deceased shooting victim as Brandon Lanier, 27, of Dayton. An autopsy showed Lanier died from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Three other shooting victims were treated at Good Samaritan hospital. One remains in critical condition.

Lanier was jailed September 18, 2016 on a drug possession charge. Police have not said the shooting was drug-related.


Dayton police said one man is dead and three other people were shot on Ryburn Avenue late Tuesday night.

Officers were dispatched to the 400 block of Ryburn Avenue around 11:45 p.m. on reports of a shooting.

Dayton Police Lt. Mark Ponichtera said when officers arrived on scene, one person, only identified as a black man in his middle to late 20s, was found shot and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ponichtera said while police were investigating the scene, three additional shooting victims were dropped off by a private vehicle at Good Samaritan Hospital.

One of the additional victim has life-threatening injuries, while the other two have non-life threatening injuries.

Investigators said upwards of 50 rounds were shot, but police did not release how many different type of calibers were found. Ponichtera added the incident is not being called a gunfight yet and police are unsure on what led up to the incident.

Two people were being interviewed at the scene by investigators, but police were also unsure of their roles, if any, in the shooting. Police were also in the process of asking neighbors if they witnessed the incident.

Ponichtera said a four-door Chevrolet Impala is believed to have fled during the shooting and is still unaccounted for. The car is described as having bullet holes and is either black with silver doors, or a silver with black doors, as investigators have received conflicting reports on the car’s colors.

Anyone with information on the incident is urged to contact Dayton police.

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

Springboro boy sentenced in drug case involving teacher mother

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 9:38 AM
Updated: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 10:21 AM

A Springboro boy was sentenced for selling LSD to classmates in a case also involving his mother, a local teacher.

UPDATE, 10:10 a.m.: A Springboro boy was sentenced this morning to 30 days in the Warren County Detention Center, ordered to complete an in-patient treatment program and placed on probation for drug charges in a case also involving his mother, a teacher in the Springboro Schools.

RELATED: Judge ‘went from disbelief to ...disgust’ over Springboro teen drug case

The boy was led out of the courtroom to begin his detention. He was given credit for 15 days already served.

Judge Joe Kirby also fined the boy $250 and ordered him to remain on probation, possibly until he turns 21.

RELATED: Police stop cars in Settler’s Walk to build drug case against teacher

Prior to sentencing, the teen pleaded no contest to the charges against him, and Kirby found him delinquent.

EARLIER: The 16-year-old son of a long-time Springboro school teacher accused of drug-related charges at their home is to enter a plea and be sentenced this morning in Warren County Juvenile Court.

The case stems from a raid on their home in May by the Warren County Drug Task Force.

The boy, 16, is accused of trafficking in LSD to 25 to 30 Springboro High School students, as well as possession of the hallucinogenic and marijuana.

MORE: Report questions $1.8 million paid by WSU to consultant

Teacher Amy Panzeca allegedly helped her son obtain the online currency Bitcoin used to purchase LSD, and she is charged with child endangering and contributing to the unruliness of a minor.

She is on leave from her job.

2 dead after shooting at Penn State Beaver campus

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 4:26 PM
Updated: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 4:26 PM

Penn State Beaver campus in Center Township, Pa.
Penn State Beaver 
Penn State Beaver campus in Center Township, Pa.(Penn State Beaver )

Two people died Wednesday afternoon in a shooting at Penn State’s Beaver campus in what police described as a domestic situation, WPXI confirmed.

Man accused of shooting at Trotwood officers withdraws insanity plea

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 3:54 PM

            William Gibson’s attorney withdrew a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity. Gibson is accused of shooting at Trotwood police officers during an October incident. MARK GOKAVI/Staff
William Gibson’s attorney withdrew a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity. Gibson is accused of shooting at Trotwood police officers during an October incident. MARK GOKAVI/Staff

The man accused of shooting at police during a 2½-hour standoff in Trotwood in October has been ruled competent to stand trial and his attorney withdrew a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.

Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Dennis Adkins said Wednesday that the forensic evaluations of William D. Gibson’s mental condition indicated Gibson was not insane during his alleged crimes and that he is fit to stand trial.

RELATED: Trotwood man accused of shooting at police during standoff pleads insanity

Defense attorney Michael Pentecost told Adkins he would withdraw the NGRI (not guilty by reason of insanity) plea and go forward with a not guilty plea. A suppression hearing was scheduled for next month.

Pentecost had filed motions last month for a mental competency evaluation and to plead NGRI. Adkins said those reports were finished Dec. 7 and provided to counsel.

RELATED: Man accused of firing shots at Trotwood officers indicted

Gibson, 42 — being held in Montgomery County Jail on a $500,000 bond — was indicted on 10 counts of felonious assault against a peace officer, six counts of having weapons while under disability and five counts of discharge of a firearm on or near a prohibited premises.

At about 11:30 a.m. Oct. 13, Gibson called 911 to say his wife accidentally shot herself in the leg. When police arrived and started treating his wife outside the residence, police said Gibson told them they had one minute to leave or he would start shooting.

RELATED: Trotwood active shooter standoff ends peacefully after 2½ hours

Gibson fired a shot inside the residence at 4645 Wolf Creek Pike, according to Trotwood police Chief Eric Wilson, who said his officers then felt they were being targeted in what officials said was an active shooter situation..

Numerous agencies including multiple SWAT groups and the Dayton Bomb Squad responded after Trotwood officers dropped a “99” signal for additional assistance.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Miami Valley Hospital nurse reports assault by patient

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 @ 12:23 PM


A Miami Valley Hospital nurse said Tuesday she was assaulted by a patient in the medical center’s bariatric ward, according to a Dayton police report.

The 59-year-old male suspect was told by police he would receive a summons for assault. It was not immediately clear if he had an attorney.

MORE: Loaded gun found in Dayton airport rental car

MORE: Read more crime stories

“The incident involving one of our nurses has been turned over to the Dayton Police Department,” said Sharon Howard, the hospital spokeswoman, in a statement. “Any and all further action will occur as a result of their (DPD) internal processes.”

The nurse told police she entered the room to check on the patient and discovered him on the floor of the room with his left arm still secured to the bed by a restraint a previous nurse applied to him, according to the report.

Additional hospital staff entered the room and, in an attempt to place the patient back into bed, released the arm restraint, according to the report.

The nurse told police that the patient “reached up, grabbed the bottom front of her shirt and pulled her down on top of him,” according to the report.

Other staff then freed the nurse from the patient, who the nurse said appeared ready to strike her or pull her hair, according to the report. The staff then placed the patient in a four-point restraint.

MORE: Substitute teacher accused of sex with 2 students seeks insanity plea

The nurse told police that prior to the incident the suspect said that “he better be released today or he’s gonna do something bad,” according to the report. She also told police that the patient had assaulted a doctor a day prior, but that the doctor did not wish to call police, according to the report.

The suspect told police that he wants to be released from the hospital and did not wish to be there anymore.