Fatal accident in Hamilton involving motorcycle

Published: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 @ 5:17 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 18, 2017 @ 8:40 AM

Hamilton police are investigating a fatal accident in the Lindenwald area that happened shortly after 3 p.m. Wednesday involving a motorcyclist and another vehicle.

Sgt. Brian Robinson of HPD said police are processing the scene and he confirmed that the accident was a fatality involving a car and a motorcycle.

MORE: Hamilton may increase photo enforcement of speeding

“It is a fatality involving a motorcycle. Officers are currently in the process of getting statements from witnesses and working on the investigation,” Robinson said.

One of the witnesses was Heather Rainey, who lives near the corner of Williams Avenue and Elmo where the accident happened.

“I live a couple of houses over and I was inside and my dad (Brad Francis) and I both said ‘he was flying’ and then my dad heard the crash and went outside and that is when we saw him lying on the ground. He hit another car,” Rainey said. “By the time we called 911 other people had called also.”

RELATED: Hamilton students praised for seat-belt safety posters

Rainey said her and her father saw the vehicle that the motorcyclist ran into.

“They were actually in the middle of turning off of Elmo onto Williams and he hit them. The poor people driving had a little girl with them and she saw everything,” Rainey said.

Robinson said HPD would not have any more information to release at this time as the investigation is ongoing.

Mom who police said killed her kids tied to second molestation report

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:30 PM

Claudena Helton faces charges related to the shooting deaths of two of her children.

The Dayton mother charged with shooting two of her children to death has been connected to a second report that her young son was molested.

Neither report was determined to have enough evidence for prosecutors to support charges.

Claudena M. Helton, 30, is accused of shooting 8-year-old Khmorra and 6-year-old Kaiden Helton in the head on May 18. Both children died Sunday at Dayton Children’s Hospital.

PREVIOUS: Dayton boy, allegedly killed by mom, claimed he was molested by school janitor

A Trotwood police report said her son claimed to have been the victim of a sexually related offense at his school last winter.

In February, Trotwood police opened an investigation after Kaiden said he was touched inappropriately by a school janitor, and that the janitor at Mother Brunner Catholic School sexually pleasured himself in front of Kaiden.

Legal authorities said this week that the complaint was investigated and charges were refused by prosecutors because of insufficient evidence.

RELATED: Affidavit details Boonshoft sex case allegations

An October 2015 Dayton police report from the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery lists Helton as the complainant.

A search warrant affidavit filed then said a 4-year-old boy reported to his mother that he had been touched sexually in a bathroom at the Boonshoft on Oct. 2, 2015.

The employee, whose name was not reported because no criminal charges had been filed, was placed on administrative leave during the investigation.

RELATED: Police investigate child sex allegation at Boonshoft

According to the affidavit, Dayton police Detective Elizabeth Alley said she spoke with a Dayton Children’s Hospital social worker on Oct. 5 about a 4-year-old boy’s report to his mother that he had been touched sexually in a bathroom at the Boonshoft on Oct. 2.

The social worker told Alley she spoke with the boy at a hospital emergency room.

The boy’s mother told the social worker her son came home from school that day upset and told her the employee gave him a bear hug while in the bathroom, “unzipped his pants, put his hands down [the child’s] pants” and touched his penis.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

The boy said that when he exited the bathroom, he told his teacher, who said she would call his mother, according to the affidavit.

Police searched the museum on Oct. 9, seizing several items including a desktop computer and the personal file of the accused employee, the affidavit said.

Calls seeking comment from the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office were not immediately returned.

Local agency warns about Blue Whale Challenge app

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:02 PM

DAYTON — Montgomery County Alcohol, Drug & Mental Health Services is cautioning residents about the Blue Whale Challenge app which they say is targeting youth and has been linked to the deaths of more than 100 people.

The app, created in 2013, has used horrifying videos to lure children into the app before psychologically manipulating them.

The app, which has been removed Apple’s iOS store and Google Play store, includes a 50-day challenge asking users to complete tasks that range from listening to music to causing self-harm.

RELATED: WARNING: Teens taking Blue Whale Challenge, a ‘game’ ending in suicide

The app also can be very difficult to remove once installed.

The app has been reported to hack into the user’s personal information that administrators use to threaten the player's family or releases personal information until the player ends his or her life.

Who are key players in Kettering homicide case of Fairmont teen?

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 8:31 AM


            Ronnie Bowers was shot to death Sept. 4, 2016, an innocent victim in a dispute between two groups of people, according to Kettering police.

Seventeen-year-old Kylen Jamal Gregory faces murder charges in the Kettering shooting death of Fairmont High School junior Ronnie Bowers last Labor Day weekend.

RELATED: Key points in homicide of Fairmont student

Depending on a judge’s decision, the Kettering defendant could face those charges in adult court. Since late October, prosecutors have sought adult charges in connection with the Sept. 4 shooting on Willowdale Avenue that – two days later when Bowers died – became Kettering’s first gun-related homicide since 2007.

RELATED: 12 on witness list in Kettering homicide of Fairmont teen

The case has revolved around Bowers and Gregory, who by all accounts were strangers. But for more than eight months, several other people have had an impact. They include:

-Two teen witnesses. Kettering residents ages 16 and 14 at the time of the shooting, both males testified under a sealed plea agreement. Both said they were with Gregory when a dispute occurred at AlterFest earlier that night between their group of five and Bowers’ friends.

RELATED: Police: Teens to face charges in Kettering shooting

Both said their group tracked Bowers – who neither knew - and his friends to Willowdale. Both said they saw Gregory fire a shot toward Bowers’ Lexus as the victim sought to drive away. They were sentenced to the maximum punishment and may stay in custody until turning 21.

RELATED: State seeks adult charges against teen in Kettering homicide

-Judge Anthony Capizzi. Has used a broad authority to keep all defendants in custody since hours after the shooting. He has repeatedly pointed out a desire to protect the community and to protect the defendants from the community.

RELATED: 2 teens strike plea deal to testify in Kettering homicide

-Benjamin Swift. Gregory’s counsel after the shooting, Swift sought a second psychological evaluation for his client. He also politely objected to the courtroom presence of something few – if any – court observers have ever seen: an urn holding the victim’s remains.

-Lynda Dodd. The lead prosecutor entered the case when it became apparent the county would seek to have Gregory’s case transferred to adult court. She has been the chief prosecutorial presence for most of the way.

RELATED: Two teens sentenced for role in Kettering homicide of Fairmont student

-Jessica Combs. The mother of the victim said shortly after her son’s death in September that she would seek to see that “justice is served.” Combs - along with several relatives and friends - has been a steady courtroom presence.

MORE: Other articles by Nick Blizzard

MORE COVERAGE

Judge uses broad options to detain defendants

Kettering shooting victim’s mother calls son hero

Visiting judge assigned to UD football lawsuit alleging hazing

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 11:40 AM


            A visiting judge has been assigned to hear the case of a former University of Dayton football player suing the school for an alleged hazing incident that led to his cognitive brain injury. Two Montgomery County Common Pleas Court judges had asked to be disqualified from the case.
            STAFF/File

The Supreme Court of Ohio assigned a visiting judge to hear the case of former University of Dayton football player Max Engelhart, who is suing the school for alleged hazing that led to his cognitive brain injury. Two local judges had asked to be disqualified due to their ties to UD.

Former Sixth District Court of Appeals Judge Peter M. Handwork was assigned to the case by Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor, according to Montgomery County Common Pleas Court records.

PREVIOUS: Second judge asks to be disqualified from UD hazing lawsuit

Handwork spent 30 years at the appellate court, retiring in 2013. He earned his law degree from the University of Toledo in 1966, working as an assistant U.S. attorney and then as a Lucas County Common Pleas Court judge in 1977, according to Ballotpedia.

Engelhart sued the school in December, claiming that a cognitive brain injury he sustained was due to a “Mad Dogs” or “Mad Caps” hazing ritual.

RELATED: UD asks judge to dismiss football ‘hazing’ lawsuit

In January, Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Dennis Langer asked to be removed from the case. Langer said he teaches and is paid by UD — which could be seen as a conflict of interest. His removal was approved by Judge Mary Katherine Huffman.

Three months after Langer’s request, Judge Steven Dankof requested to be removed, writing that, “Judge Dankof has potential conflict of interest with defendants.”

RELATED: UD sued for alleged 2014 football hazing incident

Engelhart claims he was forced to chug high-alcohol drinks as part of an initiation to the UD football team more than two years ago. Defendants include UD football coach Rick Chamberlin, strength coach Jared Phillips and others.

Engelhart, then a 6-foot-1, 270-pound offensive lineman, woke up Dec. 8, 2014 covered in his own vomit, feces and urine and with a headache later diagnosed by UD’s team physician as a concussion, according to the lawsuit.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Engelhart claims he quit football, left the university and has been prescribed a medicine typically given to Alzheimer’s and dementia patients.

In his amended complaint, Engelhart claims hazing violations, negligence, intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy to cover up allegations of hazing.

Handwork has scheduled a June 1 telephone scheduling conference in the case.