Driver in crash that blocked I-70 used fentanyl earlier, patrol says

Published: Friday, August 11, 2017 @ 4:48 PM

I70 West at Diamond Mill Overpass crash

A driver involved in a two-vehicle crash that shut down the westbound lanes of Interstate 70 in Clayton for nearly two hours Thursday night admitted to using fentanyl earlier in the evening, troopers said.

It is the latest traffic accident involving a driver allegedly impaired by opioids.

The driver, identified as Jeremy Hembree, 32, was booked into Montgomery County Jail after the crash.

Troopers said a suspected drug found at the scene will be sent to the crime lab for testing.

RELATED: Drug use passes drinking in fatal crashes

Hembree, who is from New Paris, will be charged with OVI and possession of drugs, troopers said. Hembree was driving with a suspended license.

Drug-impaired driving has for the first time surpassed drunk-driving as the leading factor in fatal crashes, according to a report issued earlier this year by the Governor’s Highway Safety Association and the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility.

About 43 percent of drivers tested in fatal crashes in 2015 had used a legal or illegal drug, the report said, surpassing the 37 percent who tested above the legal limit for alcohol, according to the report.

RELATED: Driving while high: Drugs are possible factors in more recent crashes

Drugged driving crashes in Ohio increased 25 percent from 2012 through 2016, according to the Ohio Department of Transportation. There were 3,574 drugged driving crashes in 2016, which accounted for about 33 percent of all impaired driving crashes, according to state crash statistics.

Recent incidents locally include:

  • Jordan Harville, 25, of Clayton pleaded guilty on Aug. 4 to three felony counts Miami County Common Pleas Court in the death of Anthony Hufford, 28, of Englewood. Harville struck Hufford’s vehicle on North Dixie Drive in Harrison Twp. during a pursuit that began in Miami County. Authorities said Harville told them he had used heroin.
  • In March a driver overdosed and crashed into a tree line along southbound Interstate 75 south of Ohio 725 in Miami Twp. He was revived with Narcan.
  • Also in March, police revived another driver with Narcan after a his vehicle crashed into a wall on Interstate 75 near Tipp City.

RELATED: Clayton man pleads guilty in pursuit crash that killed Englewood man

Sgt. Matt Robinson of the Ohio State Highway Patrol’s Dayton post said Thursday’s accident, which happened around 7:40 p.m. just before the Ohio 49 Greenville exit, involved a gold Chrysler Town and Country minivan and another vehicle.

“It looks like one of the drivers is impaired on drugs,” Robinson said. “He was not injured and was driving the minivan.”

The minivan driver “did admit to narcotics use prior in the evening,” the sergeant said.

Robinson also said contraband was found in the car and that the drug “appears to be an opiate of some kind.”

The driver of the other vehicle was taken to a hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries, Robinson said.

A witness, Kevin Crank of Richmond, said he was helping people in a disabled vehicle off to the shoulder on I-70 when the gold minivan moved past him at high speed. Traffic up ahead was slowing because of a construction zone, Crank said.

RELATED: Overdoses force coroner to use funeral home to store bodies

He said the minivan hit the other vehicle “full force, about 75 to 80 miles an hour.”

Crank said he ran to the accident and helped the driver of the vehicle that had been hit. The man had some cuts, but seemed OK, Crank said.

“The impact… sounded like a bomb going off… It was the worst sound I’ve ever heard in my life.”

Crank said he is glad he was in a position to help.

“And I’m thankful that guy (whose vehicle was struck) is alive,” he said.

RELATED: Opioid reversal drugs being used as precaution at crash scenes

Staff reporterChris Stewart contributed to this report.

COMING SUNDAY

Overdose deaths in Montgomery County took a significant dip in July for the first time this year. On Sunday reporter Lynn Hulsey takes a look at local initiatives attacking drug addiction.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dog, suspect unharmed after brief standoff with Dayton police

Published: Sunday, February 18, 2018 @ 1:04 PM

East Dayton Standoff

Update@1:25 p.m.:

Police officers were initially sent to scene Saturday night for on domestic violence-related incident call, and the suspect wasn't home. But once he returned home Sunday afternoon, neighbors called police, and officers returned to the scene, said Sgt. Kyle B. Thomas of the Dayton Police Department.

When officers arrived, the unidentified suspect refused to come out and was concerned about the safety of his dog. So officers asked him to secure the dog in the house so it wouldn’t get injured, Thomas said. 

The dog’s breed and name were not released.

Officers then continued negotiating with the suspect and he subsequently came out of the house, and was taken in to custody. 

SWAT was not called to the scene. But the K9 unit as well as the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center were there make sure the dog’s well taken care of while the investigation takes place, Thomas said. 

There were not injuries to the dog, suspect or officers, Thomas, said, thanking the community for getting involved. 

“The community stepped up,” he said. “They were aware that we were looking for this guy and they made some calls and let us know where we could find him. Without their help we wouldn’t have him in custody right now.” 

It is unclear if the suspect has been charged. We will bring you the information as soon as charges as well as the 

First report:

We are hearing reports of a possible police standoff at an apartment complex located at Superba Court and North Irwin Street in Dayton. 

Multiple callers to our newsroom said there are several officers in the area, and they are using a loudspeaker to get someone to come out of a building. Although a police dispatch sergeant acknowledged that officers were called to the area, he couldn’t confirm that there is a standoff. 

We have sent a photographer to the scene, and we will bring you the latest information as it becomes available. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Woman said she was frustrated when she tossed dog out of moving car

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 2:36 PM

Woman Accused of Tossing Dog Out of Moving Car

A woman in Texas has been arrested after she was caught on camera tossing her small dog named Pumpkin out of a moving vehicle.

The Chihuahua-mixed breed survived the incident and was found Thursday roaming a family's rural property in Weatherford, WFAA reported. Surveillance cameras on the property provided clear identification of the vehicle. The dog's microchip further confirmed the owner's identity. 

>> Read more trending news 

When questioned by Sgt. Ricky Montgomery, Janet Byas, 43, initially denied tossing the dog out of the vehicle. When the evidence of her involvement was presented to her, Montgomery said she admitted that she threw the dog out of the car because she was frustrated with it. She said Pumpkin would not stay on her property and she "couldn't handle it anymore," WFAA reported.

When WFAA asked for Montgomery's reaction to Byas' reasoning for throwing the dog out of the car, Montgomery said, "Grow up."

Byas was arrested and charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty.

Pumpkin is recovering from the ordeal and will eventually be available for adoption, Parker County Animal Control said.

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

2nd person charged with threatening juvenile judge on social media

Published: Thursday, February 08, 2018 @ 11:53 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 5:51 PM

Devin Wilson
Devin Wilson

UPDATE @5:49 p.m. (Feb. 17)

A mugshot has been released of a second man charged with making threats on social media toward juvenile court judge Anthony Capizzi.

Marquan Cooper, 22, is wanted on a charge of intimidation. 

RELATED: ‘Not going to sugarcoat:’ Judge tells teens they could face years in prison

UPDATE @ 5:02 p.m. (Feb 16)

A second person has now been charged with making threats on social media toward juvenile court judge Anthony Capizzi.

Marquan Cooper, 22, of Dayton was charged with one count of intimidation.

Cooper was said to have made threats toward Capizzi and his family on social media using the alias “Quannie Coop”, according to the prosecutor’s office.

UPDATE @ 3:35 p.m. (Feb. 16)

Devin Wilson was indicted in Montgomery County for intimidation. He will be arraigned Feb. 22.

UPDATE @ 1:30 p.m. (Feb. 9)

Devin Wilson, 24, of Dayton has been formally charged in a threat made against a juvenile court judge, said Montgomery County Prosecuting Attorney Mat Heck, Jr. in a release. 

The alleged threat against Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi was made on Feb. 2 on social media under the alias of "Ball Meezy," the release said. 

Wilson is charged with one count intimidation, a third‐degree felony. His case will now be presented to a grand jury. 

Wilson is currently on probation for a drug trafficking offense.

Heck’s release said his office will be seeking that Wilson be taken off probation and sentenced to 18 months in prison. 

"The defendant, on probation for less than one month, threatened a judge about a case, which is an assault on the entire criminal justice system. We have to take these matters very seriously, whether someone is threatening a judge, a prosecutor, a police 

officer, or any other court officer,” Heck said in a release.

EARLIER REPORT

A 24-year-old Dayton man was arrested Wednesday in connection with social media threats against a juvenile court judge, according to Dayton police.

Devin Wilson was booked into the Montgomery County Jail on a possible third-degree felony charge of intimidation or bribery of a public servant.

RELATED: Social media threats made against judge in Huber Heights robbery case

Social media posts advocating violence against Montgomery County Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi were reported to several law enforcement agencies, according to an email obtained by this news organization.

Capizzi is handling the juvenile court portion of the Huber Heights AT&T armed robbery case involving six juveniles and one adult.

A Dayton police report shows Wilson was arrested at 8:40 p.m. Wednesday at his residence on Edison Street. 

“If I ever see him I’m beating the (expletive) outta him he better pray I don’t catch him downtown coming out of that building,” said one post that included a photo of Capizzi.

RELATED: Man who shot Ohio judge is father of HS football player convicted in rape

Another post discovered by this news organization said, in part: “Somebody need to split Judge Capizzi wig when he get off work.”

Capizzi declined to comment.

RELATED: 3 dead after shooting at Michigan courthouse

Wilson was on probation after pleading guilty in January to aggravated trafficking of drugs. Wilson received five years’ community control as part of a plea in which a charge of trafficking of cocaine was dropped.

If found guilty of violating his probation, Wilson could face 18 months in prison plus whatever sanction is imposed if he is found guilty of a crime, according to a judge’s ruling in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

In another case that was considered in Wilson’s probation, he was found guilty of possession of less than five grams of cocaine and aggravated possession of drugs.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man arrested 18th time for indecent exposure, police say

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 1:03 PM

Nebraska Man Arrested For 18th Alleged Indecent Exposure

A Nebraska man has been arrested for the 18th time for indecent exposure, authorities said.

The latest incident took place Thursday at an Omaha food court, KETV reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Witnesses told KETV that Shawn Noble, 39, was yelling obscenities when he emerged from the food court restroom completely naked. When the property manager ordered him back into the bathroom to put on his clothes, he lunged at her, witnesses said.

Food court employees were able to barricade Noble inside the restroom until police arrived, KETV reported. Noble was charged with indecent exposure and disorderly conduct and taken to the Douglas County Jail.

Noble, a lifetime registered sex offender and transient, has over 30 arrests, including 17 previous arrests for alleged indecent exposure, KETV reported. He recently completed a six-month jail sentence for a 2017 indecent exposure conviction, according to court documents reviewed by KETV.

Trending - Most Read Stories