breaking news

UPDATE


Detective: Teen gangs more volatile, violent

Published: Friday, February 09, 2018 @ 5:48 PM


            Caleb W. Johnson, the only adult charged in the Huber Heights armed robbery, was arraigned by video camera last week.
Caleb W. Johnson, the only adult charged in the Huber Heights armed robbery, was arraigned by video camera last week.

Seven teens accused of robbing a Huber Heights cell phone store with guns in broad daylight is the latest example of juvenile gangs committing increasingly brazen crimes, a local sheriff’s investigator says.

“It’s getting bad,” said Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office detective Brian Shiverdecker, who has tracked area youth gangs since 2009. “Juveniles are getting more volatile, more violent as they come up.”

RELATED: Adult suspect in Huber Heights robbery indicted

The seven charged suspects — including two 15-year-olds — belong to a pair of gangs known as Uptown and 2Hunnid, Shiverdecker said. He estimated that 100 local youth belong to six to eight gangs in the region.

Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer wants tougher sanctions against juveniles who commit serious crimes.

He said a 16-year-old charged in the Huber Heights robbery was previously convicted for being part of a group that stole a woman’s car in April 2016 and drove more than a mile with her clinging on the hood.

RELATED: Social media threats made against judge in Huber Heights case

Others in the two gangs are suspected in crimes involving stolen guns, cell phones and carjackings, according to Plummer and Shiverdecker.

“These are not kids anymore and (courts) treat them like little, innocent kids,” Plummer said.

See Sunday’s Dayton Daily News for an in-depth look at teens in trouble and local gangs.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Illegal immigrants dealt kilos of fentanyl in Miami County, feds say

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 3:03 PM


            Nabor Zapeda-Ibarria
Nabor Zapeda-Ibarria

Two illegal immigrants from Mexico have been charged with intent to distribute several kilograms worth of fentanyl in Miami County, according to court documents.

Nabor Zapeda-Ibarria, 23, and Jesus Mayorga Gonzalez, 40, have been charged with possession and intent to distribute more than 400 grams of fentanyl in Dayton’s U.S. District Court.

RELATED: Dayton’s ‘El Chapo Jr.’ sentenced to lengthy prison term

A magistrate judge ruled Tuesday that both would remain detained during their case. Both are scheduled for a March 2 preliminary hearing.

Confidential sources told law enforcement that a residence at 5545 County Road 25A in Tipp City was being used by a drug trafficking organization with ties to Mexico, according to a criminal complaint and affidavit written by a Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) special agent.

In January, Mayorga Gonzalez was stopped for speeding on Interstate 75 and provided false names for both defendants, according to the complaint.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

The special agent wrote that, according to a Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office detective assigned to a Homeland Security task force, Mayorga Gonzalez was the subject of a November 2016 seizure of nine kilograms (19.84 pounds) of heroin and $400,000.

“Specifically, during the prior investigation a cooperating witness stated that Mayorga Gonzalez was a coordinator f0r large amounts of heroin coming into the Dayton area and was also involved with the collection of large amounts of drug proceeds,” the special agent wrote. A prosecutor and defense attorney both said Tuesday that Mayorga Gonzalez was not arrested the 2016 case.

The affidavit said that the DEA obtained a search warrant earlier this month for the “target residence”and located Zapeda-Ibarria inside along with evidence.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

The evidence mentioned included a hydraulic press, Tyvek suits, face masks and more than $150,000 cash, three kilograms of suspected fentanyl in the attic floor, a loaded handgun, scales and suspected drug cutting agents.

Mayorga Gonzalez was found with a key to the residence, according to the complaint, which stated that both men admitted to being in the country illegally.

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘How to Get Away with Murder’ star Karla Souza alleges she was raped by a director in Mexico

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 1:26 PM

1. Karla Olivares Souza is a 32-year-old Mexican actress. 2. Souza is best known for playing Laurel Castillo on "How to Get Away with Murder" on ABC. 3. She went to an acting school in France and toured there with a theatre company. 4. Her TEDx talk "Sweet are the Fruits of Adversity" is the most-viewed Spanish-language TEDx talk. 5. In 2018, she said an unnamed director on "Murder" violently attacked and raped her.

Actress Karla Souza claims she was sexually assaulted by a director early in her career.

The “How to Get Away with Murder” star spoke to CNN en Español Tuesday, sharing that she was raped by a director while filming in her native Mexico early in her career, People reported.

The 32-year-old said the director, who she would not name, totally abused his power and held “psychological control” over her.

The actress felt she had to “give in” to his advances.

“I ended up giving in to him. (I let him) kiss me, to touch me in ways I did not want him to touch me and in one of those instances, he attacked me violently and yes, he raped me,” she said, fighting back tears.

>> Shonda Rhimes to leave ABC, join Netflix

Souza said she was staying in a separate hotel than her co-stars, where only she and the director had rooms. The unnamed director would stop by at odd hours, claiming it was work-related.

“He knocked at my door saying he wanted to go over some scenes and I thought it’s 2 a.m., it’s not appropriate and it’s something that shouldn’t be happening,” she said.

Souza continued, adding that one night he knocked on her door and she refused to answer, which caused him to decide “to shoot my scene and then he suddenly started to humiliate me in front of the others on the set.”

The actress has come forward after countless powerful men in Hollywood have been accused of sexual harassment, assault and rape, beginning with movie producer Harvey Weinstein in October.

Trending - Most Read Stories

No phones, social media ordered for middle school students facing felony charges for nude photos and video

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 2:24 PM


            .
.

Two Wilson Middle School students will be back in court next month to appear before a juvenile judge on felony charges involving nude photos and video.

The 12-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl who are students in the Hamilton school were arrested earlier this month and charged with illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material.

According to police reports, the male student obtained pictures and a video of the female performing sex acts on herself. The male student then sent the material to other students via his cell phone.

FIRST REPORT: 2 Hamilton middle school student charged with felonies related to explicit photos, videos

The 12-year-olds were arraigned on Wednesday before a Butler County juvenile court magistrate, where no plea was entered, according to Rob Clevenger, court administrator. A pre-trial hearing before county juvenile court Judge Ronald Craft is scheduled for March 26.

At Wednesday’s hearing, the two defendants were ordered to be under supervision of court monitoring, have no cell phone or access to social media and use the internet for school purposes only.

Hamilton Sgt. Brian Robinson compared the charges the duo are facing to possessing or distributing child pornography.

“There is a big difference between this and sexting,” he said.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Did you hear gunfire last night from a roaming pickup truck? Police are asking for help

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 9:30 AM


            .
.

Ross Township police are asking for information about shots fired Tuesday night.

At about 9 p.m., police received several calls from residents reporting gunfire in Ross and Hanover Townships, according to the department’s Facebook post.

MORE: Prosecutor: Middletown bar death could be classic case of ‘one-punch homicide’

Witnesses reported the gunshots were originating from a large, loud, black pickup truck roaming the area. Officers investigating the shots fired recovered several shell casings. No property damage has been reported and the truck was not located.

If anyone has any information concerning the truck or occupants, please contact the Ross Township Police Department at 513-863-2337.

Trending - Most Read Stories