log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, January 02, 2015 @ 2:54 PM
Updated: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 @ 6:42 PM
A Montgomery County Sheriff’s deputy has been disciplined for failing to do a proper inventory on a vehicle that was towed New Year’s Day from a crash scene after the driver was found injured inside that vehicle six hours later.
Deputy Brian Crowe is a senior, “well-trained” employee with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, said Maj. Daryl Wilson. The written reprimand he received March 5 is the first disciplinary action taken against him. The reprimand was for failure to file a proper tow inventory report, which is required for all vehicles prior to it being taken from a crash scene.
Crowe responded to a single car crash on Wagoner Ford Road in Harrison Twp. New Year’s Day. The car struck a utility pole, causing live power lines to fall across the vehicle. Six hours after the wires were removed and Busy Bee Towing removed the vehicle to their nearby facility, the driver, 42-year-old Mark Gilliam, was heard by tow employees screaming for help. He was found inside the car, and may not have been previously visible due to having fallen under a deployed airbag, Wilson said.
While the wires may have temporarily prevented the deputy from properly surveying the car, Wilson said that did not recuse Crowe from completing the inventory report and filing it. Had Crowe done so, he “may have found the driver.”
“The key word is ‘may,’” Wilson said. “Obviously if he did (the inventory), maybe the gentleman would have been located. That’s besides the point. It’s a violation of policy.”
Gilliam has been released from a local hospital and was cited for failure to control. While Wilson said Crowe made an error not taking an inventory, he said the sheriff’s office is not responsible for what happened to him.
“The sheriff’s office didn’t put that gentleman behind the wheel and make him crash. So things happen,” Wilson said.
Crowe is a patrol officer in Harrison Twp.
First take (Jan. 3):
A man in critical condition was found inside a car six hours after the vehicle was involved in a crash and towed from the scene New Year’s Day.
The victim, who deputies have not yet identified, was transported to Grandview Medical Center in Dayton for treatment of his wounds, which a 911 caller described as leg injuries.
“I towed a car last night. I went to go take care of the lot, this guy’s still in his vehicle,” an unidentified worker from Busy Bee Auto Parts and Towing Inc. told emergency dispatchers around 9 a.m. Thursday. “To tell you the truth, I don’t know if this guy came back to his car and climbed in it.”
Capt. Jeremy Roy with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office said the Webster Street tow yard worker opened the front door of the crashed vehicle to throw remaining debris into the vehicle when they heard the man yell for help from the floorboard in the front of the car.
“Since the car was now up on a flatbed they opened up one of the doors to put some more debris into the front seat, which is what they normally do,” Roy said. “At that angle they were able to see that there’s a person in there that had screamed for help.”
Deputies responded to the crash in the 3600 block of Wagner Ford around 3 a.m. New Year’s Day after a Chevrolet Impala crashed into a utility pole and through a fence at Willowview Cemetery.
Roy said deputies and other first responders searched in and around the vehicle, but were unable to locate the driver before clearing the scene around 4:30 a.m.
“Our crews, along with Harrison Township fire, were looking all around the cemetery,” Roy said.
The crash scene was about 500 feet from the Busy Bee Auto Parts and Towing, but deputies are not able to confirm whether the man was in the vehicle when it was towed or if he returned to the vehicle after it was towed to the business.
“It’s still an ongoing and very fluid investigation,” said Roy.
It could be 30 to 45 days until investigators know exactly how the man ended up in the vehicle at the tow yard, Roy said.
Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 6:00 PM
Updated: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 8:40 PM
OAKWOOD — UPDATE @ 8:40 p.m.
Police are seeking the public’s help to find the bank robber who held up LCNB.
The suspect entered Lebanon Citizens National Bank, 2705 Far Hills Ave., around 5:30 p.m., demanded money and left with an undisclosed amount of cash, Oakwood police Lt. Chuck Balaj said.
No weapon was seen, and the suspect left in a black Pontiac G6.
Anyone with information is urged to call Oakwood police at 937-298-2122 or Crime Stoppers at 937-222-STOP(7867).
Police were called this evening to a report of a bank robbery at LCNB.
The alarm was sounded around 5:40 p.m. at Lebanon Citizens National Bank, 2705 Far Hills Ave., according to police scanner traffic.
Oakwood police said the matter was under investigation and would not release any details.
According to initial reports, a dye pack exploded on the suspect, described as a man in his 50s who stands between 5 feet 6 and 5 feet 7 inches and was wearing a black ball cap and black sweater. He reportedly fled in a black Pontiac G6 south on Far Hills Avenue.
The suspect did not show a weapon but kept his hand inside his pocket, according to initial reports.
We have a crew on the way to the scene and will update this report.
Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 3:04 PM
Updated: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 8:19 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 4:30 p.m. (Feb. 23): A 17-year-old male has been arrested and booked into the Montgomery County Juvenile Detention Center on a preliminary charge of murder in the Feb. 16 shooting of 22-year-old Keyona Murray, Dayton police said.
The teenager has a criminal history, according to investigators.
Court officials said he has been in trouble before on charges that include delinquency by reason of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, delinquency by reason of breaking and entering and delinquency by reason of burglary.
Officials said he had recently completed probation.
Police said the teen was taken into custody today at a residence on Gard Avenue in Dayton.
A detention hearing is scheduled for Saturday morning.
A reward of up to $2,500 is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of anyone involved in the shooting death of a woman shot in front of two children on Feb. 16.
Keyona Murray, 22, died at Miami Valley Hospital after medics took her from a home in the 100 block of Lorenz Avenue in Dayton where she had been shot in the head, according to police.
Murray was sitting in a bedroom with her 2-year-old child, 2-year-old nephew and another adult when someone fired numerous times into the house.
Miami Valley Crime Stoppers is offering the reward and said anyone providing tips can remain anonymous.
“We also know that in all likelihood, someone in the community knows who committed this heinous crime, so Miami Valley Crime Stoppers is offering up to a $2,500 reward for information leading to the arrest or arrests of anyone involved,” the organization said in a prepared statement.
“Keyona succumbed to her injuries later that night, leaving many to mourn her loss after this senseless act of violence.”
Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: Saturday, February 10, 2018 @ 2:45 AM
Updated: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 11:30 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 11:30 p.m. (Feb. 23)
A 59-year-old Dayton man is pleading not guilty to stabbing a woman earlier this month at the Victorian Manor Apartments in Dayton.
Westley Johnson was arraigned Friday in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court on two counts of felonious assault in the Feb. 10 stabbing of a 55-year-old woman at the apartment in the 300 block of South Main Street.
Bond is $50,000 for Johnson, who has been held in the Montgomery County Jail since his Feb. 10 arrest. He next will appear March 8 in court, online jail and court records show.
INITIAL REPORT (Feb. 10)
Dayton police arrested the man they say was involved in a stabbing in the 300 block of South Main Street.
Westley Johnson, 59, was arrested on the scene and was booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of felonious assault, records show.
Johnson was accused of stabbing a 55-year-old woman at the Victorian Manor Apartments, according to a Dayton police report.
We’re hearing the victim may have been stabbed in the neck. The victim has been taken to Miami Valley Hospital.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Gangs are terrorizing community, sheriff says
The incident was reported just after 2 a.m.
We have a crew on scene. We will update this report as we get information.
Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 1:44 PM
FAIRBORN — One of the two students arrested Thursday at Fairborn Baker Junior High is accused of standing up in class and naming off people he wanted to kill, according to a police report obtained by this news organization.
The incident with the 12-year-old boy happened, police said, at the same time an 11-year-old girl was separately placed into custody on suspicion of spreading a message on Snapchat indicating “Fairborn schools next” in the “shoot SHS” threat that spread across the region and into other parts of the country Thursday.
Police documents show a third threat — a Snapchat video of a man holding a gun “for Baker Junior High in 7th period” — could not be traced and no subjects could be identified.
The 12-year-old boy is charged with inducing panic and aggravated menacing, both misdemeanors. He has not yet appeared in court.
The 11-year-old girl is charged with misdemeanor inducing panic and making terroristic threats, a felony. A judge entered a plea of denial for her on Friday. She is ordered to stay in juvenile detention custody.
This news organization is not naming either individual at this time because they are not charged as adults.
The incidents Thursday set off an emotional and chaotic morning across Fairborn City Schools. While the “Fairborn schools next” Snapchat originated at the junior high, another student, who is not charged, allegedly forwarded the arrested student’s threatening message to students at the high school in an effort to warn her friends there, police said.
The high school then went on “level 2” lockdown at the request of the school’s principal, meaning all exterior doors were secured and all students were sheltered-in-place with doors locked, according to the police report. Police interviewed the uncharged female student, who identified the 11-year-old charged with originating the Fairborn-based threat.
According to the police report, the charged 11-year-old female “did not think it was a ‘big deal’” and “became upset and did not want to speak after she was placed in custody.”
The police report said the 12-year-old boy — accused of standing up in class and saying “I’m not saying I am the shooter, but I am not saying I’m not” before rattling off student names — “admitted to the allegations, and added that the people he named ‘frustrate’ him.”
At least five students — one from Springfield, one from Piqua, two from Fairborn and another from New Lebanon — were arrested Thursday, police said.
More local reporting from the Dayton Daily News:
» HUBER HEIGHTS: Retiring Huber Heights fire chaplain ‘honored’ to serve 18 years