Dayton police clear out '6-unit condo' under bridge

Published: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 @ 11:36 PM
Updated: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 @ 11:36 PM


            Homeless

Sleeping bags. Pillows. And lots of stolen copper and scrap metal.

Those are among the items Dayton police found in a homeless enclave under the U.S. 35 bridge on Perry Street Tuesday morning.

"It was basically like a six-unit condo up there," said Sgt. Steven Abany.

Aside from the shopping carts and piles of scrap metal, the people who had been sheltered by the concrete structure had stacks of books, bedding, an American flag and other items to make the place homey.

Abany said most of what was down there was stolen, but no one was arrested because it's impossible to prove who stole the property.

"Basically we're going to come in, clean it out, recover the property and trespass the people we found up underneath there," he said.

Jermaine Wynn walks by the location every day and wasn't surprised by what was found.

"It's sad, but it doesn't surprise me. I see it every day," he said. ""Any of us could be one job away from where they are right now. I feel for them and I wish the best for them and I pray for them every day."

Deceased Dayton boy once claimed he was molested by school janitor

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 4:39 PM

The Dayton mother accused of shooting and killing two of her children said she did it to “save them from the evils of the world,” according to court documents.

Claudena Helton’s children, Khmorra, 8, and Kaiden, 6, died Sunday at Dayton Children’s Hospital.

Those court documents do not shed light on what Claudena Helton meant by the statement.

FULL STORY: Father of dead Dayton child had been looking for sonMother told police she shot kids to ‘save them from the evils of the world’ 

But a Trotwood police report obtained by this news organization states that her 6-year-old son claimed to have been the victim of a sexually related offense at his school last winter. Legal authorities said this week that the complaint was investigated and charges were refused by prosecutors because of insufficient evidence.

In February, Trotwood police opened an investigation after Kaiden said he was touched inappropriately by a school janitor, and that the janitor sexually pleasured himself in front of Kaiden, according to a Feb. 14 police report. Kaiden was a student at Mother Brunner Catholic School, 4870 Denlinger Road.

PHOTOS: Police respond to shooting scene, neighbors react

Spokesman Dan Andriacco said the Archdiocese of Cincinnati first heard about the case when police came to the school to investigate a complaint made by Claudena Helton.

“The janitor was immediately put on leave until the police resolve this,” Andriacco said Monday. He said the worker is “a longtime employee.”

RELATED: Dayton chief after 2 kids shot in head: ‘This is one of the toughest’

This news organization could not reach the uncharged employee, whose name was not listed in the police report nor provided by the school.

The principal of Mother Brunner received an email Monday from an investigator in the Montgomery County prosecutor’s office saying they’re not going forward with the case, Andriacco said.

Trotwood police Capt. Dan Heath said charges in the case were refused on the first presentation to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office because of insufficient evidence.

The boy’s claim also was being reviewed by CARE House and children services. Representatives of all the groups were supposed to meet with Claudena Helton last week to discuss how and whether to proceed, Heath said, but the meeting had to be rescheduled because not everyone could attend. Their meeting was rescheduled for Monday, but that meeting did not take place since Helton now is incarcerated, Heath said.

RELATED: Dayton mom who police say shot her children had volatile relationships

“There will be a debriefing about what course, if any, to take on this,” Heath said.

The case is not officially closed, Heath said.

Andriacco said all archdiocesan employees are vetted when hired. He said there were no sex offenses or offenses involving children in the janitor’s past.

“I don’t see any reason why (the janitor) would not return,” Andriacco said. “It’s always been the expectation that as soon as this was cleared away, he’d be returned to service.”

Police: Manhunt underway for killers who lured 2 people in Craigslist-type transaction

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 7:06 PM

Sheriff Joe Chapman says two victims were lured to Walton County in Georgia for a Craigslist-type transaction and killed.
WSBTV.com

A multiagency manhunt is underway for the people who allegedly killed two men during a robbery in Georgia.

Sheriff Joe Chapman said the two men were lured to Clegg Farm Road in Social Circle, Georgia, on Monday to be robbed. They ended up being shot.

>> Read more trending news

Tire marks can be seen where a truck veered off the road and crashed into the fence. Investigators said the victims had posted something on a website -- it was that item the suspects were after.

“With the ambulance, the fire truck and the police tape going up, it looked more like a crime scene,” neighbor Larry Sneed said.

Sneed said the crash happened about 150 yards from his driveway. He said a truck had veered off the road and slammed into his neighbor’s fence.

“This is something more than a one-car accident,” Chapman said. “Two people had been shot. There were two fatalities.”

Chapman said the victims were lured to the county.

“Robbery. It was a transaction, some social media-type transaction, Craigslist-type situation,” Chapman said.

The sheriff said the two victims drove 75 miles from Meriwether County to sell an item they had advertised online. Something went wrong during the transaction and both men ended up shot to death, investigators said.

Chapman said a 16-year-old is in custody and charged with two counts of murder and aggravated assault.

Investigators don't think he acted alone.

“We're looking for any and all persons involved,” Chapman said. “It is a current and ongoing investigation continuing as we speak … one more, two or three more."

The sheriff has put up a $5,000 reward for an arrest and conviction.

“We're not Atlanta. This doesn't happen every day so (we’re putting) all effort we have into it,” Chapman said.

There are five agencies actively working on this case.

If anyone knows anything about this crime, they are asked to call the Walton County Sheriff's Office at (770) 267-6557 immediately. 

One suspect accused of dumping woman’s body in Kettering has court date

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 1:13 PM
Updated: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 6:38 PM


            Charles E. Hall.
            CONTRIBUTED

One of the suspects accused of dumping the body of a Middletown woman found dead of an apparent overdose in Kettering on Sunday is set to appear in court Wednesday morning.

Charles E. Hall, 64, who was initially booked on suspicion of tampering with evidence was released under 48 hour rule Tuesday, but was subsequently charged with receiving stolen property and is being held on $75,000 bond, according to court records.

It is unclear if the misdemeanor is related to his initial booking. Hall is scheduled to appear at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in Kettering Municipal Court.

Hall, and David Detrick are accused of removing the body of Tiffany Argo, 28, from their residence and dumping it on a neighboring street.

RELATED: 911 caller on Kettering body: ‘Looks like someone threw her out of a car’

Here is what we know, and what we’re trying to find out about these three people and overdoses in Kettering.

1) Who was the victim?

Tiffany Argo, 28, was a resident of Middletown and attended Middletown High School—though she did not graduate from that school. We’ve reached out to friends and family to help us learn more about the victim.

2) What is Argo’s relation with the two men accused?

Kettering Police Officer John Jung said it appeared Hall allowed Detrick and Argo to stay at his home on Willamet Road. Kettering police said they are still trying to determine what the relationship was between the three, beyond residency.

RELATED: Arrests linked to dead body in Kettering: What we’re trying to find out

3) Kettering overdoses for 2017

Jung said Kettering EMT’s have been dispatched 105 times so far this year for overdoses. Those 105 calls aren’t always opiate-related Jung said.

Jung also said Narcan has been administered 83 times this year as well, though Jung said the number is not associated with the 105 calls for overdoses. Death tolls were not immediately available by the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office due to confirmation by toxicology reports.

4) Who are the suspects?

Hall, 64, and Detrick, 39, were in Montgomery County Jail today on suspicion of abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

Detrick, 39, was still being held in the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence. There was no information available on a court date for him.

Hall has been arrested at least 12 times in the past 10 years, most recently in March on drug-related charges, according to court records. He has been arrested several times for felony drug charges including possession of drugs and possession of drug abuse material.

Detrick’s criminal history includes several felony arrests related to forgery, theft and fraud. Before Sunday, Detrick was most recently arrested in 2014 in Warren County for criminal trespassing and theft.

1 charge dismissed against Fairfield teacher charged with sex crimes

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 1:32 PM
Updated: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 6:05 PM

One felony charge has been dismissed against a Fairfield High School teacher accused of sexual conduct with a teen student.

The dismissal came on the second day of Tyler Conrad’s trial in Butler County Common Pleas Court.

Conrad, 27, of Hamilton, was originally charged with two counts of sexual battery, sexual imposition and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. His bench trial began Monday.

After the prosecution rested its case, both the defense and prosecution agreed that one charge of sexual battery had not been proven by the evidence presented. Judge Keith Spaeth then dismissed the charge, but the second charge of sexual battery, sexual imposition and contributing to the delinquency of a minor will stay.

EXCLUSIVE: Evidence questioned in Fairfield teacher Tyler Conrad’s alleged sex crime

Videos from security cameras at Fairfield High School and Conrad’s interview with Fairfield detectives were played Tuesday in the courtroom.

Fairfield Schools resource officer Kevin Harrington said he spent a week reviewing the archived tapes from late August to October 2016 from a camera pointed in the hallway where Conrad’s classroom was located.

He was looking for video of the 16-year-old girl who testified Conrad inappropriately touched her in his classroom.

Six tapes were projected for the judge to review, showing the girl and Conrad going in and out of the classroom late in the school day.

Sometimes they appeared to be walking near each other, at other times they entered and exited several minutes after each other. Other students, faculty, and a security guard were also seen coming and going in the hallway.

MORE: Teen testifies in trial of Fairfield teacher accused of sex crimes

Defense attorney Chris Pagan pointed out during cross examination that two of the classroom doors were close together and the angle was from a distance. He noted any activity in the classroom itself could not be viewed and it appeared the classroom door was never closed.

Harrington disagreed.

“On one of the videos, I believe the last one, it appears Mr. Tyler Conrad closed the door and locked it,” Harrington said.

On Monday the girl testified for nearly two hours stating Conrad’s attention began with rubbing her shoulders and touching her leg and then later he touched her private area on the outside of her clothing and an another occasion making penetration.

Penetration is an element for the charge of sexual battery, thus that charge was not proven based her the testimony and dismissed.

MORE: Fairfield teacher Tyler Conrad accused of sex crimes waives jury trial

The student said Conrad picked her up in the summer of 2016 and took her to a Ross Twp. house where he began kissing her and carried her to a bedroom. When he touched her on the outside of her private area, she said she became uncomfortable and he stopped.

The defense tried to get the straight “A” student to recall dates or a range of dates of the incidents, but she could not. Pagan also used transcripts of past interviews with police to point out her statements were not the same as the current testimony.

A friend testified Monday that the teen told her about the incident in Ross Twp. on Memorial day weekend. Pagan presented evidence that Conrad was in Florida Memorial Day weekend 2016.

When the girl reported the incident to a youth leader and it was reported to Fairfield police, Detective Rebecca Ervin said it was difficult to interview the teen in October 2016.

“She was very concerned about what was going on in school and who would ‘know’,” Ervin said during testimony.

MORE: Fairfield moves toward firing teacher accused of sex with student

After interviewing the girl, her parents and some students, Ervin said she went to interview Conrad at the school.

“He immediately pulled out his phone and started to manipulate it … I confiscated,” Ervin said.

Cell phone data from Conrad’s phone and the girl’s phone indicates from May 7, 2016 to Oct. 9, 2016, 83 calls were exchanged, Ervin testified.

In the same period of time 2,876 text messages were exchange between the girl and Conrad, according to phone records.

During a nearly 90-minute interview with detectives on Oct. 13, Conrad denied having any sexual contact with the girl.

Conrad told detective Ervin that he and the teen did talk and text “off and on” when she was upset or having difficulties.

“I just don’t understand what she would have said,” Conrad said to the detectives. He added that another teacher had told him “you better keep her away from you. She is following you around like a puppy dog.”

Looking back, he told the detective that he should have listened.

“I am sure things could have been said that she misconstrued,” Conrad said in the interview.

The trial will continue Wednesday with defense witnesses.