JUST IN:

breaking news


Dayton man sentenced for sex trafficking of two 15-year-old girls

Published: Monday, October 02, 2017 @ 12:00 AM


            Jermar White
Jermar White

Jermar White told a judge Monday what he thought of the bench trial in which he was found guilty of six of eight charges after allegations that he engaged in sex trafficking with two 15-year-old girls.

“This case was obviously corrupt,” said White, 32, of Dayton, during a long diatribe to the court. White alleged that the victims had multiple different statements during the investigation that became identical at trial, that his counsel was ineffective and that some statements had been coerced. “All of this is just wrong.”

RELATED: Jermar White found guilty in human trafficking case

After that, Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Timothy O’Connell told White that there was no corruption and sentenced White to prison for 11 years.

O’Connell sentenced White to 10 years and 11 years for the two counts of trafficking in persons, plus three to four years each on other counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, pandering obscenity of a minor and compelling prostitution.

O’Connell said the sentences would run concurrently and that White will be required to register as both a Tier II and Tier III sex offender. White was credited with 511 days of jail-time credit.

RELATED: Two indicted for sex trafficking of minors in Dayton

“Sir, I saw no corruption,” O’Connell said, saying defense attorney Carl Goraleski’s defense led to not guilty findings on two counts that involved whether White knew the ages of the victims. “Mr. Goraleski did an outstanding job.”

O’Connell told White that all of his rights as a defendant were protected. The judge addressed the defense’s claim that this was the first human trafficking case in Montgomery County to go to trial and special attention was given to it.

“Just because this might be an initial case on a relatively new statute, and the city of Dayton police department and others were aggressive about it, or energetic and worked hard on this case doesn’t mean there was corruption,” O’Connell said. “Yes, this is a relatively new law because it’s a very significant problem in the community.”

O’Connell later told White, “It was disgusting what you did.”

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Montgomery County assistant prosecutor Kelly Madzey said, “This really is how human trafficking begins,” she said, adding that the case “was a picture of how young girls and women become trapped in this lifestyle.”

The two victims did not attend the sentencing.

Goraleski said this human trafficking case was a different scenario than slavery or people crammed in trailers in the desert.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

“There was no brutality. There was no physical cruelty,” Goraleski said. “Certainly you can argue about the harm that the victims claim they suffered.

“They had every opportunity to leave that residence and one did and came back.”

A co-defendant, Iesha Heard, was sentenced last week to three years in prison.

Man arrested for threatening to blow up Federal Building downtown

Published: Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 5:57 AM

Jonahtan Durrough/Contributed
Jonahtan Durrough/Contributed

A man is in Montgomery County Jail this morning after he threatened to blow up the Federal Building on West Second Street Thursday morning, according to a Dayton police report.

According to the report, Jonathan Durrough, 41,  threatened to blow up the federal building and became combative toward security after being asked to leave.

>> Crime news from the Miami Valley

The security officer took Durrough into custody and alerted the threat to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Durrough attempted to spit on an officer while being questioned by an officer with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, according to the report.

>> WATCH: Miami Valley’s Most Wanted

Durrough was booked into jail on charges of felonious assault and aggravated menacing. The threat is under review by the federal prosecutor’s office.

Boy stops man to get help for Dayton gunshot victim

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 4:57 PM
Updated: Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 1:00 AM

FROM SCENE: Child stops man to get help for Dayton gunshot victim

UPDATE @ 1 a.m. (Oct. 20)

Anthony Watson Jr., a 25-year-old man who was shot two times in the leg, was listed in serious condition early today at Miami Valley Hospital.

Crews were dispatched to the 3400 block of Valerie Armes Drive around 4 p.m. after a boy alerted an adult to call for help.

UPDATE @ 11 p.m.

An 11-year-old boy stopped a man this afternoon to get help for a gunshot victim.

According to a Dayton police report, the victim was 25-year-old Anthony Watson Jr.

There was no information about any suspects.

UPDATE @ 5:20 p.m.

A child alerted an adult that a man had been shot late this afternoon in Dayton. 

The 911 caller said the child told him the man was shot twice in the leg. 

Crews were dispatched just before 4 p.m. to the 3400 block of Valerie Arms Drive. 

The shooting victim, a man in his mid-20s, was taken to Miami Valley Hospital. His injuries are not life-threatening, police said.

According to an incident call log, the suspect vehicle is described as a black 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix with temporary tags and a large scratch on the rear. Two men in their 20s were inside.

FIRST REPORT

A shooting victim was taken to Miami Valley Hospital this afternoon.

The incident was reported around 4 p.m. in the 3400 block of Valerie Arms Drive in Dayton.

>>Mom’s boyfriend charged after third-grader brings gun to school

The victim’s name, age and condition were not available.

It’s not clear whether police have a shooting suspect.

63-year-old Dayton gunshot victim fights for her life

Published: Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 12:48 AM

63-year-old Dayton woman in critical condition after shooting

A shooting victim was critically hurt Thursday night in Dayton.

Crews were dispatched shortly after 8:15 p.m. to the 1600 block of Tennyson Avenue.

>>Boy stops man to get help for gunshot victim

According to a Dayton police report, 63-year-old Rosemarie Harris was “shot by another, resulting in life-threatening injuries.”

Harris was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, where she was undergoing surgery late Thursday night.

No suspect information was available.

Springfield police seek recruits to bolster force

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 11:50 PM

Springfield police seek recruits to bolster force

The Springfield Police Division is down nearly 20 officers.

“It essentially makes the officer on the street busier,” said Capt. Lee Graf, who has been with the division for more than 20 years.

There are currently 113 officers, down from the city’s ideal 131-member roster, due to retirements and officers leaving for other departments.

“Our response with the critical calls hasn’t been affected, but on some days when we’re right at bare minimum, certainly it will have an effect,” Graf said.

Springfield resident Lisa McKeen said she would like to see more officers.

“Sometimes I don’t think there’s enough because it seems like they can’t patrol everywhere, and they can’t be everywhere at the same time,” she said.

Graf said one of the biggest problems is the pay compared to other police agencies. Officers in Springfield make a maximum of $58,000, compared to the starting pay up to $64,000 in Kettering.

“When you’re competing with some of the more affluent suburbs and things like that, that’s hard to do,” Graf said.

Springfield will begin testing for new recruits in early December.