Dameon Wesley timeline

Published: Sunday, March 03, 2013 @ 9:05 AM
Updated: Sunday, March 03, 2013 @ 9:05 AM

Events related to the state parole board and the parole case of Dameon Lareese Wesley, Ohio inmate No. 289-569:

1994:
Wesley, then 19 years old, sentenced to 15 years to life for murdering his roommate, Marvin Williams Jr., by shooting him in the chest and in the head at point-blank range. Williams died Jan. 4.

2004:
Wesley denied parole, board cites five infractions and that “institutional conduct has been poor.”

2008:
Wesley denied parole, board states he obtained his GED but that “he is a more serious risk and not suitable for release.”

2010: Wesley denied parole, board states his release into society would “create undue risk to public safety and would not be in the interest of justice.”

Summer 2011: Dayton attorney Anthony VanNoy starts working on Wesley’s case and formulating a parole release plan.

June 18, 2012: Dayton Daily News reports Ohio’s parole release rate has fallen to 6.9 percent and that the pool of convicts now eligible for parole are largely composed of murderers adn child molesters. The parole release rate was 48.5 percent in 2004.

June 18, 2012: Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction Director Gary Mohr dismisses board members Cathy Collins-Taylor and Jose Torres, both appointees of former Gov. Ted Strickland, leaving the board with six acting members.

June 19, 2012: Wesley recommended for release during full-board hearing, board cites that Wesley has made “acceptable institutional adjustment” and that he has “formulated an appropriate release plan.” Five votes were still needed for a majority with a six-member board (with three vacancies).

July 2012: Mohr appoints Marc Houk, Andre Imbrogno and Ron Nelson Jr. to replace Collins-Taylor, Torres and Bobby Bogan, who left the board in June. Media reports state the appointees were “committed to (Mohr’s) reform efforts.”

Sept. 4, 2012: Wesley is released from prison and starts work at VanNoy’s law office, with duties such as filing, moving boxes and picking up lunch.

Jan. 14, 2013: Wesley’s last day working for VanNoy, who said he wanted to talk to Wesley about possibly returning to work.

Jan. 14: A rape complaint is made against Wesley by Dawan Culpepper, who had been Wesley’s girlfriend. The prosecutor’s office states it has “insufficient evidence” to charge Wesley. Ohio parole officials didn’t know of the allegation.

Jan. 21: VanNoy said Wesley was officially “released” from working at his firm.

Feb. 24: Police accuse Wesley of shooting Dawan Culpepper’s 13-year-old daughter, Briona Rodgers, in the head and causing Rodgers’ death. Police allege Wesley also shoots Rodgers’ cousin, Alonta Culpepper, in the head. Alonta Culpepper survives.

Feb. 26: Police arrest Wesley early Tuesday morning after he allegedly fled the scene of a hit-skip car crash. Wesley, 39, is booked into Montgomery County Jail and apologizes to the Culpepper family and to “guys up in prison who had faith in me.” Expected charges include one count of murder, three counts of aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon, two counts of aggravated burglary, one count of kidnapping, three counts of felonious assault with a deadly weapon and one count of having weapons under disability.

March 8: Wesley scheduled for a preliminary hearing on felony charges.

May 2: Wesley was found dead in his cell at the Montgomery County Jail. His death is believed to be of natural causes.

Sources: Ohio Parole Board, police and court documents, media reports

The Dayton Daily News examined state parole records and interviewed dozens of people to find out what led to the parole board’s decision to release convicted killer Dameon Wesley from prison. Count on us to cover this issue as it unfolds.

Couple who kept 430 animals, seized in cruelty investigation, worked at animal center

Published: Friday, February 24, 2017 @ 9:35 AM
Updated: Friday, February 24, 2017 @ 9:35 AM


            Couple who kept 430 animals, seized in cruelty investigation, worked at animal center

Authorities have identified the residents of a Texas home where about 430 animals were seized Monday in an animal cruelty investigation.

>> Read more trending stories

The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office on Thursday said Joseph Flores and Sarah Arevalo lived at the home in the 100 block of Misty Drive in Uhland.

Authorities did not say what charges they face, but Sheriff Daniel Law said charges are likely.

The two are employed at the University of Texas and investigators have been in contact with university police.

UT spokesman J.B. Bird told the American-Statesman that Flores and Arevalo work at the Animal Resources Center. They have been placed on administrative leave with pay pending investigation, he said.

"President (Gregory L.) Fenves is going to call for an outside review of the Animal Resources Center to ensure all safety and care guidelines have been followed," Bird said.

Bird said there is no indication that any of the university's animals, which are used for research, are missing.

Snakes, dogs, rabbits, goats, rodents and birds were among the cache of critters removed from the home. Caldwell County sheriff's deputies and the Dallas-based SPCA of Texas seized the following:

  • 86 snakes
  • 28 dogs
  • 26 rabbits
  • 15 goats
  • 9 pigs
  • 267 other animals, including guinea pigs, ferrets, skinks, bearded dragons, geckos, gerbils, tarantulas, turtles, tortoises, mice, rats, doves, pigeons, ducks and turkeys

The SPCA would house and care for the animals taken from the property, the sheriff's office has said.

Sheriff Law said the discovery of the animals was "disturbing" and that ammonia levels from all the animal waste in the house was dangerously high.

The animals were not being kept properly, Law said, but the species were in separate containers.

Law said it was unclear why so many animals were being kept.

"Right now, it's still an ongoing investigation," he said.

Statesman reporter Ralph K.M. Haurwitz contributed to this article.

Florida man accused of stealing $150K Maserati he took on test drive

Published: Friday, February 24, 2017 @ 9:02 AM
Updated: Friday, February 24, 2017 @ 9:02 AM


            Florida man accused of stealing $150K Maserati he took on test drive

A Florida man remains jailed after he took a $150,000 Maserati on a test drive, then allegedly stole the car, according to an arrest report.

>> Read more trending stories

Michael Lewis McGilvary, 45, is facing a charge of grand larceny of $100,000 or more and is being held in the Palm Beach County Jail in lieu of $10,000 bail.

McGilvary walked into the Ferrari-Maserati of Fort Lauderdale dealership on Tuesday and asked to go on a test drive, the report said.

A salesman went on the ride with McGilvary, who said he wanted to drive to the Boca Raton Resort and Club, on East Camino Real east of Federal Highway, to show the car to his girlfriend.

Once they reached the resort, McGilvary told the salesman he wanted to go inside to show him his father's boat, the report said. The men reached the facility's boat dock when McGilvary said he would be right back with his girlfriend.

>> Read more Floridoh! stories

Thirty minutes later, the salesman realized something was wrong, the report said.

When the salesman returned to the resort's valet area, he noticed the Maserati was gone. The valet supervisor told the salesman he saw McGilvary jump into the Maserati and leave.

Connecting McGilvary to the stolen vehicle was easy for Boca Raton police. McGilvary presented his driver's license before he was allowed to test drive the Maserati and the valet supervisor at the Boca Raton Resort had known McGilvary for years, the report said. There was also surveillance video of McGilvary at the dealership.

Detectives arranged for a meeting Wednesday with McGilvary at the Starbucks coffee shop on North Federal just south of Northeast 20th Street.

When he was asked if the valet supervisor recognized him when he arrived at the resort, McGilvary nodded his head to say yes, then refused to answer any further questions, the report said. He was then arrested at the Starbucks.

After his arrest, McGilvary was shown the video of his presence at the dealership. McGilvary denied he was the person on the video.

The report does not indicate if the Maserati was recovered.

Police chief, officer charged in shooting death of 73-year-old woman

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 10:26 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 10:26 PM


            Police chief, officer charged in shooting death of 73-year-old woman

An accidental shooting at a citizen’s police academy in Punta Gorda, Florida, resulted in the death of a retired librarian and charges against a police chief and an officer.

According to WINK, Punta Gorda Police Chief Tom Lewis and Officer Lee Coel were charged in connection with an August shooting that killed 73-year-old Mary Knowlton. 

>> Read more trending stories

The shooting took place during a “shoot/don’t shoot” exercise in which Knowlton was playing the role of an officer, while Coel was acting as an attacker. Coel fired his weapon, which was supposed to have blanks in it but was loaded.

The officer has been on administrative leave since the incident occurred as questions swirled regarding the apparent lack of procedures taken to ensure the gun was not loaded, and is now facing criminal charges.

The News-Press reported that Coel was arrested after turning himself in on Wednesday and is charged with manslaughter, while Lewis faces charges of culpable negligence.

The city approved a $2 million settlement for Knowlton’s family in November.

CNN reported that Coel faces up to 30 years in prison if he is convicted.

Man charged in 2005 disappearance, death of Georgia beauty queen

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 1:11 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 3:48 PM


            Man charged in 2005 disappearance, death of Georgia beauty queen

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced Thursday afternoon that a man has been arrested in connection with the 2005 disappearance and murder of Georgia teacher Tara Grinstead.

>> Read more trending stories

Agents said someone walked into the sheriff's office earlier this week with information linking a man named Ryan Alexander Duke to Grinstead's disappearance and murder.

Duke attended the high school where Grinstead worked and graduated three years prior to her disappearance, according to the GBI.

He was arrested Wednesday afternoon.

GBI officials said the investigation continues and that authorities plan to do more interviews.

WSBTV reported on Thursday morning that authorities had gotten a major break in the more than 10-year-old case.

Grinstead, a former beauty pageant queen, was reported missing from her Ocilla home in October 2005.

Witnesses last saw Grinstead at a beauty pageant and then at a co-worker's barbecue on Oct. 22, 2005. Two days later, she was reported missing when she didn't show up to teach history at the county high school.

In a February 2006 interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Anita Gattis said her sister would not have left on her own.

Gattis believed her sister left with someone she knew on the night she disappeared. Her house was locked but her car, a pearl white Mitsubishi 3000 GT, was unlocked and in the carport, with $100 in the console and clay on the tires.

"Tara never left her car unlocked and never drove on dirt roads," Gattis said.

Police found Grinstead's cellphone at her home. They also found a single latex glove outside.

"There was no struggle in the house. Tara was a singer. That was her talent in pageants," Gattis said of her sister, thrice crowned Miss Tifton and a contestant in several Miss Georgia pageants. "If someone was removing her, she'd project her voice. And she took self-defense. She'd go out kicking and screaming and fighting."

Related

Missing Georgia Teacher Feb 23, 2017 - 3:38 PM