Charges pending after woman shot, killed through wall

Updated: Monday, May 06, 2013 @ 1:54 PM
Published: Monday, May 06, 2013 @ 1:41 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

A man who fired a gun at a wall and killed someone on the other side may be charged in the incident.

West Carrollton Police Chief Richard Barnhart said detectives will meet with the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office to discuss charges against Ira Perkins, 70. He is accused of discharging a firearm toward a wall in order to get the attention of his son, with whom he had been in a disagreement late Friday, May 3.

Brittany Geiger, 25, was struck by the bullet and it killer her.

Geiger is believed to be the son’s girlfriend.

The incident occurred in the 5000 block of Marcy Road. The residence in question does not have a history of crime, according to police, and the neighborhood in general was deemed relatively quiet, Barnhart said.

Barnhart said his office is presenting reckless homicide charges to the prosecutor.

Springfield police chief challenges public to step up in deadly home invasion

Updated: Friday, December 09, 2016 @ 7:02 PM
By: Allison Wichie, and Breaking News Staff

The Springfield Police Division is asking the public to help in finding whoever shot and killed a mother in a home invasion Thursday night:

  • Dead is Lacie Henry, 29. She was hit in the head and arm, police said
  • The home on South Fountain Avenue was targeted, Police Chief Steve Moody said
  • Two men, one with a rifle and the other with a handgun, invaded the home
  • Witnesses tell police Henry's 2-year-old daughter was with her when she was shot
  • Anyone with information is asked to call police at 937-324-7716 or leave a tip on Facebook

LATEST: @ 6:20 p.m. (Dec. 9): “Folks have to step up and demonstrate courage in the face of all the rhetoric and do the right thing,” Springfield Police Chief Steve Moody said. “We have a 2-year-old little girl that will never grow up to know her mother.”

Police are looking for two gunmen -- one armed with a rifle, the other with a handgun -- who burst into a duplex in the 1200 block of South Fountain Avenue on Thursday night and shot Lacie Henry dead even as her 2-year-old daughter sat in the same room.

“(A) young lady, a mother and a daughter lost her life during a robbery — that should not be acceptable to anyone in this community,” Moody said. "There's no excuse for not stepping up and telling what you know."

Police found Henry, 29, dead in the living room, Moody said.

Henry’s death marks the fifth homicide in Springfield this year, the third in the last six weeks.

>>READ MORE: Suspect in Springfield shooting death arrested in Kentucky 

According to a police incident report, Henry appeared to have been shot in the head and the arm.

The gunmen “gathered people up and basically this was a robbery,” the chief said. The home and Henry were targeted, he said.

Detectives talked to witnesses who were in the home, the chief said, and they worked Friday to try to piece together what happened.

"Apparently, one of the individuals in the home actually shielded the 2-year-old," the chief said.

Moody said anyone who knows anything about the crime should come forward.

“Folks have to step up and demonstrate courage in the face of all the rhetoric and do the right thing,” the chief said. “We have a 2-year-old little girl that will never grow up to know her mother.”

Henry was taken to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office for an initial autopsy Friday morning, according to the Clark County Coroner’s Office said. No preliminary results were released.

>>RELATED: 2 indicted for murder in separate Springfield deaths

Friday afternoon, no one answered the door at the home, but children’s toys could be seen on the front porch and yard.

It’s common to hear fights on the streets in that area, said a neighbor, Tiffany Harper. But she was still saddened to hear about the mother’s killing.

“It’s crazy how people can just do that,” Harper said. “Whoever shot the person should be caught 'cause the person doesn’t deserve it — especially if they had a kid.”

Sex discrimination suit filed by police officer dropped

Updated: Friday, December 09, 2016 @ 5:27 PM
By: Mark Gokavi - Staff Writer


            Sex discrimination suit filed by police officer dropped
Tina Silvers Clay Twp. police work ID, when she was known as Tina Crabtree.

U.S. District Court Thomas Rose dismissed the federal claims brought by former Clay Twp. police officer Tina Silvers, who alleged sexual discrimination and harassment.

Rose granted summary judgment to the defendants, but remanded the state court claims back to Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Silvers’ attorney, John Folkerth Jr., indicated that when remaining issues with the federal case are settled, it likely would be refiled in common pleas court.

“That’s what our position is right now,” Folkerth told this news organization. “I can say I’m disappointed.”

Silvers claimed she was sexually harassed and discriminated against by high-ranking law enforcement officials.

Silvers filed suit against Clay Twp. police Chief John Van Gundy (then a detective), Officer Anthony Scott (then a sergeant) and current or former township trustees Steve Woolf, Robin Lehman, Dave Vore, Lon Chambers and Steve Denlinger.

“There is no professionalism there,” Silvers told this newspaper in January 2015. “They have the good ol’ buddy system there.”

Silvers alleged in the suit that during her Oct. 2012 to Sept. 2013 stint as an auxiliary officer, she was in a sexually hostile work environment and was subjected to discrimination on the basis of gender.

In his ruling, Rose recounted many of the incidents that led to Silvers’ claim. Court documents indicated that before Silvers applied to Clay Twp., she exchanged nude photos with Van Gundy. Scott once asked Silvers what size her panties were and she was asked if she was “pissing blood,” according to court documents.

When she wanted to complain to Clay Twp.’s Board of Trustees, Silvers was denied. Clay Twp. officials contend Silvers was terminated for performance issues.

“The Court is mindful that, rather than considering each event complained of in isolation, it must consider the totality of the circumstances in determining whether the harassment was sufficiently severe and pervasive,” Rose wrote, later adding. “Considering all of the incidents Plaintiff describes as allegations of sexual harassment, they simply do not rise to the level of severe or pervasive necessary to succeed on a cause of action.”

The suit alleged that Van Gundy and Scott subjected Ms. Silvers to numerous and repetitive sexually explicit and inappropriate comments, including those referencing her anatomy and her menstruation. The suit claimed Van Gundy told Silvers to lighten up and engage in banter.

Rose wrote that while some of the defendants’ behavior may have been, “boorish,” it did not clearly establish an actionable hostile work environment.

Wright-Patt gate jumper didn’t know actions wrong report says

Updated: Friday, December 09, 2016 @ 5:24 PM
Published: Friday, December 09, 2016 @ 5:24 PM
By: Barrie Barber - Staff Writer


            Wright-Patt gate jumper didn’t know actions wrong report says
Edward Novak/STAFF PHOTO Chuck Hamlin

A Beavercreek man accused of trespassing at a Wright-Patterson Air Force Base entry point that caused the evacuation of two buildings and a shelter-in-place order at a child care center “did not know the wrongfulness of his actions,” a court-ordered evaluation has determined.

Edward J. Novak, 32, faces a February trial date in connection with eight misdemeanor charges of driving away from Gate 22B at Interstate 675 in violation of a sentry’s order and making his way into a restricted area at the Air Force Research Laboratory Sensors Directorate, court records show.

EARLIER STORY: Wright-Patt suspect fails to appar in court; arraignment rescheduled

Novak has pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court in Dayton over the alleged incident in November 2015.

In a mental health evaluation, Dr. Massimo DeMarchis concluded the defendant “did not know the wrongfulness of his actions at the time of the offense in this alleged case,” court records show.

Federal Magistrate Michael J. Newman ordered the full evaluation sealed under court order and set a trial date of Feb. 8.

During the alleged incident, base employees stopped Novak when they noticed he did not have a security badge and he was turned over to security forces, authorities have said.

One count filed claimed the defendant “did initiate or circulate a report or warning of an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime, or other catastrophe, knowing that such report or warning was false and likely to cause public inconvenience or alarm.”

The alleged situation caused a major disruption. Police blocked roads on and off the base while area law enforcement agencies, the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force, the Wright-Patterson Fire Department and an Air Force Explosive Ordinance Disposal Team responded.

A base spokesman said last year the suspect was unarmed and had showed no ill intent.

The defendant was charged with trespassing, assault, making false alarms, disorderly conduct, operating a vehicle under the influence, inducing panic, failure to comply with a lawful order and eluding a police officer, court records show.

If convicted, the maximum penalty on any one charge would be up to six months in jail and a fine of thousands of dollars.

Messages seeking comment were sent to Novak’s attorney Friday.

Fairfied police looking for suspects in shooting

Updated: Friday, December 09, 2016 @ 4:47 PM
Published: Friday, December 09, 2016 @ 4:47 PM
By: Lauren Pack - Staff Writer


            Fairfied police looking for suspects in shooting
Edvin Jorellana Rodas

Fairfield police are looking for suspects in connection with a shooting Monday in Debbie Mobile Home Park.

Josue Alexander Vargas, 21, and Edvin Jorellana Rodas, 21, are charged with aggravated robbery and are considered armed and dangerous, according to police.

The duo are suspects in the shooting of Austin Ford, 18, of Hamilton, on Billy Circle at about 9 p.m. Monday, according to a Fairfield police report. Approximately $300 and a cell phone was stolen from Ford during the robbery, police said.

Vargas is described as a Hispanic male, 5 feet 7 inches tall, 150 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. Rodas is described as a Hispanic male, 5 feet 7 inches tall, 135 pounds with black hair and brown eyes.

Those who may know of either suspect’s location are asked to contact Fairfield Police at 513-829-8201 or Crime Stoppers at 513-352-3040. Callers can remain anonymous and may receive a reward for information.