‘Active shooter’ fires at police, hit by gunfire in northern Ohio

Published: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 @ 8:47 PM
Updated: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 @ 10:30 PM

BARBERTON ACTIVE SHOOTER

UPDATE @ 10:30 p.m.

The suspect in what police called an “active shooter” situation was identified tonight as 41-year-old David Michael Havrilek of Akron.

Havrilek shot at officers and was hit in the exchange of gunfire, police in Norton said.

No officers were injured, and Havrilek was taken to Akron General Hospital after he was found behind a unit at Barber Road Storage, 3318 Barber Road in Newton, a city of about 12,000 10 miles southwest of Akron.

The incident prompted an emergency alert for residents to stay inside and a lockdown of two schools in the neighboring city of Barberton. Barberton High School is about one-third mile and Barberton Middle School a half mile from the storage business, Google maps show.

David Michael Havrilek

Local police activated their SWAT team, and multiple police agencies responded, including the Ohio Highway Patrol that searched with a helicopter equipped with infrared. Local law enforcement also was working with the FBI and Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation.

The suspect has an extensive violent criminal background, but it’s not clear what charges he faces for this incident. He was found in the rear of Barber Road Storage.

UPDATE @ 10 p.m.

A suspect was shot and taken into custody tonight in connection to what police called an “active shooter” situation.

The suspect was taken to Akron General Hospital, but it was not immediately clear whether the gunshot was self-inflicted or by police.

The incident led to a lockdown at Barberton high and middle schools and residents were ordered to stay inside in the Norton community.

The suspect’s name has not been released, nor what charges he faces.

Law enforcement agencies from across the area, including the Ohio State Highway Patrol, assisted in the incident.

EARLIER REPORT

Students have been released to their their parents after the high school and middle school were cleared following reports of an active shooter.

Preliminary reports indicate that a suspect in custody is headed to a hospital, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

Police first were called around 7 p.m. to a report that a man with an assault rifle was walking around Barber Road Storage, according to a tweet from the Barberton Herald. There also were reports of shots fired.

Police shut down Barber Road and issued an emergency alert, ordering residents to stay clear of Barberton High School, near the storage facility, and to shelter in place.

The suspect is described as a white male standing 5 feet 9 inches. The last known photo of him showed a shaved head and goatee, police said.

Barberton police said all students were safe inside the schools on lockdown.

Trending - Most Read Stories

2nd boy accused of school threats ordered to remain in custody

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 10:17 AM
Updated: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 4:42 PM


            This afternoon, Waren County Juvenile Court Judge Joe Kirby flashed a newspaper headline reporting that more than 400 people had been shot in 200 school shootings since the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut before ordering a boy, 17, of Turtlecreek Twp., who has already served four days in detention to remain in the detention center in a school threat case. LAWRENCE BUDD/STAFF
This afternoon, Waren County Juvenile Court Judge Joe Kirby flashed a newspaper headline reporting that more than 400 people had been shot in 200 school shootings since the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut before ordering a boy, 17, of Turtlecreek Twp., who has already served four days in detention to remain in the detention center in a school threat case. LAWRENCE BUDD/STAFF

UPDATED @ 4:30 p.m

Warren County Judge Joe Kirby ordered a 14-year-old Hamilton Twp. boy to remain in custody and undergo an assessment following a hearing Tuesday. The boy is accused of inducing panic, making false alarms and intimidation of a witness after a Snapchat of him holding a realistic toy gun to a friend’s head left other students worried he would bring a gun to school at Little Miami High School.

RELATED: ‘Whole world is on edge’ Warren County judge tells teens accused of making school threats

EARLIER:

A Lebanon High School student will remain in the Warren County Detention Center for assessment in a school threat case.

This afternoon, Judge Joe Kirby flashed a newspaper headline reporting that more than 400 people had been shot in 200 school shootings before issuing the order to the boy, 17, of Turtlecreek Twp., who has already served four days in detention since he surrendered to authorities on Friday.

RELATED: Lebanon High School student accused of threatening another student with social media

He is charged with inducing panic by texting, “THAT’S IT IM GONNA SHOOT UP A SCHOOL I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE” to friends on Feb. 15.

RELATED: Lebanon High School student accused of threatening another student with social media

This case stems from an incident reported on Friday night by Lebanon City Schools involving a student threatening a student in another district using social media.

MORE: Ross High student held over alleged social media threat

Another juvenile who attended Little Miami High School is scheduled for a 1:30 p.m. hearing on charges including inducing panic and intimidation of a witness in the court in Lebanon, according to court officials.

MORE: Bomb threats plaguing Warren County schools again

“You could not not pick a worse offense,” Kirby said, noting the text was sent the day after the school shooting sin Parkland, Fla.

MORE: 13 Things to Know About Parkland high school’s namesake

He is to return to court on Feb. 28 at 3 p.m.

Trending - Most Read Stories

You could lose your tax refund with this latest IRS scam

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 12:19 PM

You could lose your tax refund with this latest IRS scam

A sneaky new scam involving tax refunds is growing, and it means you need to keep a close eye on your bank account.

There are several variations of the scam: unexpected refund deposits to your bank account using compromised bank routing information, suspicious paper checks coming in the mail and, in one case reported in Maryland, it appeared a fraudulent refund check had been deposited using a smartphone. 

Bon-Ton going-out-of-business sales start at stores this week

According to the IRS, the victim will then receive a call or recorded message saying they need to return the funds to a collection agency-which is actually the scam account. 

If you pay the scammers, you will get a double whammy hit to your bank account when the IRS or your bank realize that the deposit was bogus and withdraws the funds.

The number of victims jumped from a few hundred to a few thousand in just days, after more tax practitioner data breaches, according to the IRS.

Chipotle testing new ‘trendy’ menu option  

The IRS has these recommendations to avoid getting scammed:

If you notice a suspicious deposit, contact your bank to have the money returned to the IRS and call the IRS at 800-829-1040. 

If you receive a paper check, write “void” in the endorsement field on the back and return it to the location printed on the check. 

If you mistakenly cashed the erroneous refund check, submit a check for the full amount to the IRS location near you. 
  • ANDOVER – Internal Revenue Service, 310 Lowell Street, Andover MA 01810
  • ATLANTA – Internal Revenue Service, 4800 Buford Highway, Chamblee GA 30341
  • AUSTIN – Internal Revenue Service, 3651 South Interregional Highway 35, Austin TX 78741
  • BRKHAVN – Internal Revenue Service, 5000 Corporate Ct., Holtsville NY 11742
  • CNCNATI – Internal Revenue Service, 201 West Rivercenter Blvd., Covington KY 41011
  • FRESNO – Internal Revenue Service, 5045 East Butler Avenue, Fresno CA 93727
  • KANS CY – Internal Revenue Service, 333 W. Pershing Road, Kansas City MO 64108-4302
  • MEMPHIS – Internal Revenue Service, 5333 Getwell Road, Memphis TN 38118
  • OGDEN – Internal Revenue Service, 1973 Rulon White Blvd., Ogden UT 84201
  • PHILA – Internal Revenue Service, 2970 Market St., Philadelphia PA 19104

Trending - Most Read Stories

Two men shot to death on North Dixie Drive were friends

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 5:12 PM


            The gate is closed and locked Tuesday at Buck-I Auto Sales on North Dixie Drive in Harrison Twp. Authorities said owner Frank D. Buck, 71, and Lester Golson, 59, were found shot to death inside on Monday. MIKE CAMPBELL/Staff
The gate is closed and locked Tuesday at Buck-I Auto Sales on North Dixie Drive in Harrison Twp. Authorities said owner Frank D. Buck, 71, and Lester Golson, 59, were found shot to death inside on Monday. MIKE CAMPBELL/Staff

The names of the two men found shot to death Monday in a Harrison Twp. car dealership have been released, but their autopsies are still pending.

LISTEN: The 911 call about the North Dixie shooting

The men, reportedly friends, were officially identified Tuesday as Buck-I Auto Sales owner Frank D. Buck, 71, and Lester Golson, 59, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

Deputies said they do not believe anyone else was involved in the shooting deaths, but declined to provide many additional details.

Buck’s daughter, who said Tuesday that funeral services are pending, expressed love for her father and compassion for the Golson family.

“My father was a loving man would do anything in the world for just about anybody, he was loved by a lot he was always smiling, laughing, and joking around,” said Candace Buck. “My condolences are with the Golson family during this very hard time.”

FIRST REPORT: 2 men found shot to death inside auto dealership

Candace Buck said Golson was a family friend who had purchased vehicles at the business before.

A woman who tried to get into the business Monday and saw one man point a gun at another then called 911 to report that she saw people get into a “tussle” before she heard three gunshots.

BREAKING NEWS: Police investigating after bones found behind Dayton home

In the sometimes frantic 6-minute call at 1:22 p.m., the woman said, “I was trying to get to my car and get to the phone to call the police then I heard gunshots.”

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office incident report listed the call as a homicide with an investigation pending. Other than that, it gave few clues as to detective’s theories.

The report’s narrative read: “On Monday, February 1, 2018, Deputies from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to 2801 North Dixie Drive in Harrison Township in reference to a shooting.”

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Deputies had not commented on the relationship between Buck and Golson. Neither had felony records in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Kyle Phillips of Huber Heights watched Monday as police worked the scene. He said he shopped for a car at the dealership several years ago.

Phillips said word of two deaths was “crazy” but that gunfire in the Northridge area — where he used to live — was not surprising to him.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

The sheriff’s office said people in the North Dixie area shouldn’t worry about suspects.

“I don’t believe that there’s anybody that we need to worry about right now,” Capt. Jeremy Roy said. “We think it was contained right here.”

Police have not released how many weapons were found at the scene or if the bullets found in the deceased’s bodies match the weapon or weapons found.

Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Rob Streck said Tuesday there was no new information available and that detectives are chasing down leads.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Jail review group picks company to help after inmate deaths, lawsuits

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 4:42 PM


            The Justice Advisory Committee for the Montgomery County Jail met Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018. CHRIS STEWART / STAFF
The Justice Advisory Committee for the Montgomery County Jail met Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018. CHRIS STEWART / STAFF

A group formed to examine claims of prisoner mistreatment in the Montgomery County Jail — where two inmates died in the past month — selected a consulting firm Tuesday to study operations there.

Immediately after that, though, the committee approved an additional consultant to help the first one.

RELATED: 5 firms want to study embattled Montgomery County Jail

When the team from CGL Companies’ regional office in Lexington, Ky., arrived to talk with the committee, the three men and one woman who would be conducting research with inmates at the jail were all white.

Though it added more time to the process, the jail committee and company agreed to bring a local diversity consultant into the process. During a jail committee meeting Tuesday, Mary Tyler of the National Conference for Community and Justice of Greater Dayton was approved to join the team conducting interviews inside the jail that books in about 26,000 inmates a year.

MORE: Montgomery County creates jail oversight committee

“The feeling was for the actual face-to-face contact with jail inmates that there should be some diversity represented,” said Rabbi Bernard Barsky, co-chair of the committee. “It’s important to encourage honest and comfortable responses from the inmates. A diversity consultant has been trained to deal with people from various ethnic and racial backgrounds so they don’t get the impression that this is another part of the ‘system,’ that this is somebody who can relate to them in a respectful way and hear them.”

Montgomery County Commissioners are expected to approve the contract at the earliest in mid-March.

The two most recent deaths include William Devoe, 37, who jailers said died from an apparent suicide attempt on Feb. 8, and Dillon Abplanalp, 28, who was found unresponsive in a cell Jan. 22. Final autopsy reports are pending on both deaths. Their deaths bring to seven the number of inmates who have died in the jail or in a hospital shortly after being removed from the jail, according to Daily News records.

MORE: Montgomery County inmate found dead in jail cell

MORE: Montgomery County Jail inmate dies, suicide suspected, deputies say

The Rev. David Fox, a member of the Justice Advisory Committee, said the consultants’ work will need to help provide the group with solid data to tease out how bias and other factors that influence the treatment of inmates.

“We got to this place is because of allegations of abuse, and we can’t get away from that,” he said. “It’s our job to establish whether or not we’re going to have a jail that is safe and secure for the people who go into the jail. Right now the public thinks no.”

Fox said some in the community – particularly those in west Dayton – will be ready to dismiss the committee’s work due recent setbacks, including leadership changes in Dayton Public Schools and the unexpected loss of Good Samaritan Hospital.

Four lawsuits related to the county jail have been settled while another six are pending, including one involving Robert Richardson, who died May 19, 2012. That lawsuit alleges jail employees handcuffed and subdued Richardson on his stomach outside a cell door while he was having a medical emergency.

RELATED: County spending on jail lawsuits tops $1M

CGL Companies’ office in Lexington was picked by the committee to help the 10 members come up with recommendations to the Montgomery County Commission to prevent the kind of lawsuits that have cost the county more than $1 million in legal fees and settlements in recent months.

Based in Miami, CGL provides strategic planning and facility development for corrections facilities as well as physical maintenance of court facilities and prison campuses, according to the company’s website.

GCL was selected over four other companies that submitted proposals in November. The scope of the agreement and final cost — likely under $200,000 — are still being negotiated, said Joe Spitler, Montgomery County’s criminal justice director.

Trending - Most Read Stories