Crash in high school parking lot results in minor injury

Published: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 @ 7:44 AM
Updated: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 @ 10:44 AM

A life squad was dispatched to Hamilton High School this morning on the report of a crash in the parking lot.

Initial police scanner traffic at 7:21 a.m. indicated a vehicle struck two other vehicles. One student was injured, but was not taken to the hospital, according to dispatchers.

Tow trucks were also requested to the parking lot.

There’s no word yet on who was cited in the crash.

West Chester may be site of medical marijuana grow operation

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 1:05 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 1:36 PM


            West Chester Twp. and Oxford are among Butler County communities that haven’t come out with moratoriums or bans on such businesses.

A West Chester Twp. business owner has informed officials he wants to open a marijuana cultivation business here, but says he won’t force the issue if the township decides to ban such businesses.

David Haley told trustees Tuesday that he wants to locate in the township because he already owns a pharmaceutical business here and thinks West Chester Twp. should get the tax benefit.

MORE: Warren County to get medical marijuana farm

West Chester Twp. and Oxford are among Butler County communities that haven’t come out with moratoriums or bans on such businesses.

“I have no interest in trying to force my way into a community that either just hasn’t really thought it all the way through or if they are not 100 percent clear on which direction they want to go…,” Haley said. “I’m not here with a team of attorneys to tell me what my rights are or to tell you what my rights are in trying to start this business.”

MORE: West Chester to debate medical pot regulations

West Chester Twp. trustees elected Tuesday not to take any action on medical marijuana businesses the state has sanctioned, saying they need more time to educate themselves on medical marijuana.

Haley is interested in opening a level 2 cultivation business — maximum 3,000 square feet — in an industrial area.

“I’ll be utilizing greenhouses to actually grow the cannabis, completely enclosed,” he said. “No one will know what is going on at this location by simply driving by or walking by. It will be out of sight.”

MORE: Oxford official says medical pot could be good for business district

Trustee Board President Mark Welch was leaning toward a moratorium — or temporary ban — on medical marijuana businesses Tuesday night, but his two fellow trustees said they wanted to wait.

Trustee George Lang said he remains steadfast in his belief that any action at this time is premature because the state has not yet released all the rules governing the cultivation, testing and dispensing of the drug. Those are due in September.

“I still feel the same way,” Lang said. “We’re waiting to see what the state’s ultimate rules are going to be. I think we’ve got somewhat of what they are going to be in terms of cultivation but not in terms of sales. I think we’d be premature in doing anything until we see what the state’s going to do.”

Ohio is still deciding how many dispensaries and testing laboratories will be allowed, but said earlier this month there will be 24 cultivator licenses — 12 large and 12 smaller operations — to begin with.

RELATED: Drug rehabilitation doctor sues West Chester Twp.

Hamilton, Middletown and Fairfield have banned the sale of the drug and Liberty, Fairfield and Ross townships have placed moratoriums on the industry as they see how the rules roll out.

The law doesn’t permit smoking pot but permits vaporizers, patches, edibles and oils and the program will be implemented in September 2018.

911 call: ‘I just saw a gentleman shove a child into his trunk’

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 8:11 PM

UPDATE @ 1:19 p.m. (May 24):

A woman called 911 after she said she saw a man shove a child into the trunk of a vehicle in a driveway on U.S. 127 south of Greenville.

“I just saw a gentleman shove a child into his trunk,” the caller told 911 dispatchers.  "He pulled off into someone's driveway…shoved the child in his trunk and took off."

As the caller continued to give information to dispatchers, deputies located the vehicle and stopped it in the area of U.S. 127 and Ohio 49.

The driver, John Anderson, 36, of Hamilton, admitted to deputies there was a child in the trunk of the vehicle. 

Joseph said deputies opened the trunk and removed the child, who did not appear to be physically harmed. 

According to statements from the mother, 30-year-old Kristine Grimbleby, also of Hamilton, and Anderson, the boy was put in the trunk as a disciplinary measure. 

Both adults will be summonsed into court.

INITIAL REPORT:

A 10-year-old boy found in the trunk of a car in Darke County on Monday night has prompted a criminal investigation focused on the actions of his mother and her boyfriend. 

A passer-by, who saw what appeared to be someone putting a child in the trunk of a four-door sedan about 8:30 p.m., called 9-1-1 and followed the car until sheriff's deputies stopped the car in the area of U.S. 127 and state Route 49, Deputy Jamie Joseph said Tuesday evening. 

The driver, John Anderson, 36, of Hamilton, admitted to deputies there was a child in the trunk of the vehicle. 

Joseph said deputies opened the trunk and removed the child, who did not appear to be physically harmed. 

>>MORE TRENDING NEWS: Teacher accused of child sex crimes

According to statements from the mother, 30-year-old Kristine Grimbleby, also of Hamilton, and Anderson, the boy was put in the trunk as a disciplinary measure. 

"Anderson told deputies it was done as a joke," Deputy Joseph said, "their attempt at trying to teach the child a minor lession." 

Grimbleby, the deputy said, told authorities she agreed with the punishment and didn't see anything wrong with what was going on. 

GOT A TIP? Call 937-259-2237 or send it to our 24-7 monitored email, newsdesk@cmgohio.com 

Anderson and Grimbleby were in Darke County, on their way to meet with the boy's biological father as part of a custody exchange. Deputies, after interviewing both adults and being satisfied the child had not been harmed, allowed the trip to continue. 

The child is with his father, in another county, Deputy Joseph said. 

Both adults will be summonsed into court, Anderson on a charge of child endangering and Grimbleby on charges of drug possession (marijuana) and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to the sheriff's office. 

In the meantime, Darke County Children Services and the Butler County Prosecutor's Office are investigating Monday night's incident to decide whether more serious charges should be pursued.

Kasich on Trump: ‘This is why I didn’t support him, why I didn’t go to convention’

Published: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 @ 11:10 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 @ 11:15 AM

Ohio Governor John Kasich and Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders were scheduled to debate health care, economics and education on Tuesday - that changed. 

Due to reports President Donald Trump had shared Israeli intelligence about the Middle East with the Russians, and reports James Comey wrote a memo stating Trump asked him to drop his investigation into Michael Flynn, the two participated  in a joint town hall before an audience at CNN.

“We find ourselves in a serious situation,” Kasich said. “I don’t like people who say, ‘I told you so,’ but this is why I didn’t support him in primary, why I didn’t go to the convention.”

MORE POLITICAL COVERAGE
» Ohio lawmakers react to report of Trump sharing classified intel
» 3 big takeaways from Trump's Russia-classified info blunder
» In a private dinner, Trump demanded loyalty. Comey demurred.

Kasich said the issues surrounding  Trump’s presidency are serious, but it’s still early. Sanders was more vehement, wanting an independent prosecutor. Kasich had reservations for an independent prosecutor, believing a select committee of Democrats and Repulicans among Congress and the Senate would work better, citing the experiences Ken Starr said he had while investigating Bill Clinton in the 1990s, and how the appointment inflamed the issue. 

The Ohio Governor was firm on wanting explanations for Trump’s behavior, and expressed the importance of Republicans showing themselves on TV and being responsible on the issue, and hoped Democrats didn’t try to use Trump’s troubles for political gain.

Sanders and Kasich disagreed at times, but were agreeable throughout most of the hour-long town hall. Host Dana Bash stated responses from viewers were overwhelmingly positive, including some hoping they would run together on the same ticket in 2020. 

Coverage of the town hall from Ohio Politics:

WORTH YOUR TIME: Ohio Politics coverage

» On Facebook: Join the conversation about the big issues

» On Twitter: Follow the latest on local and national politics

Kasich’s closing remark:

UD Marriott says its owed money for canceled WSU debate rooms

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 12:24 PM

Marriott at the University of Dayton.

Fallout from Wright State University’s lost presidential debate is surfacing again as a local hotel seeks at least $170,000 in damages for canceled rooms.

Attorneys representing Concord Hospitality Enterprises Co., the management company that runs and is partial owner of the Marriott at the University of Dayton, filed a lawsuit today against Wright State in Greene County Common Pleas Court.

RELATED: Lawsuit claims ‘infighting, buffoonery’ caused WSU to lose debate

The lawsuit also names as defendants John McCance, a consultant who helped WSU secure the debate, and his consulting firm as well as the Commission on Presidential Debates.

According to the lawsuit, 130 rooms were booked for the debate commission at the Marriott on Patterson Avenue in Dayton. Although the debate was cancelled, the hotel contract called for 75 percent of the hotel costs for the rooms to be paid, according to the lawsuit.

Officials from the University of Dayton and Wright State declined to comment on the dispute. A spokesman for the debate commission could not be reached to comment.

UD and Concord jointly bought the Marriott for $18.5 million in 2014. Though the university is a part owner and the hotel bares UD’s name, it is not considered a university facility, according to a 2014 release.

RELATED: Wright State hits its ‘low point’ with announcement of 71 layoffs, budget cuts

The Marriott was chosen for the debate because it met requirements set forth by the debate commission and the United States Secret Service, McCance said.

The hotel dispute comes just a few months after McCance filed a lawsuit claiming personal damages over the canceled debate.

McCance in January filed a $1 million lawsuit against Wright State, alleging that infighting and “epic gross buffoonery” caused the commission to pull the first debate from WSU. McCance’s lawsuit contradicted former president David Hopkins’ announcement on July 19 that WSU chose to withdraw from the Sept. 26 debate because of rising costs.

Wright State is responsible for the hotel payments, McCance said, because Hopkins told him to book the block of rooms at the Marriott. WSU is now saying that McCance is responsible for the room cancellations, the consultant said.

FIRST REPORT: Wright State withdraws from 2016 presidential debate

A letter from the hotel’s attorneys states McCance may not have had the authority to book the rooms, despite the fact that he was hired to bring the debate to Wright State.

McCance said he doesn’t think Wright State’s claim that he didn’t have authority to book hotel rooms is retaliation for the lawsuit he filed, but rather a reflection of the university’s recent struggles. Wright State has not brought any legal action against McCance for the hotel room dispute.

“(WSU’s troubles) are due to much broader systemic and cultural problems with the university than me filing the lawsuit,” McCance said.

RELATED: Many factors broke Wright State’s debate dream

Wright State has been plagued by scandal and budget problems over the last two years. The university is under federal investigation for possible immigration-related wrongdoing and in April the school released a long-guarded audit of its research funding. On Friday, WSU announced it would likely lay off 71 employees and eliminate 107 jobs in an attempt to correct years of overspending.

TIMELINE: How Wright State lost the first 2016 presidential debate

McCance said WSU’s claim that he did not have the authority to book hotels came as a surprise to him. He had previously booked rooms for members of the commission on at least three occasions prior to WSU being awarded the event.

Bringing the debate commission into the hotel dispute could have long-term implications for the area, McCance said.

“Dragging the commission into it just further alienates them,” McCance said. “I’m afraid because of this, the university and Dayton region will never see a presidential debate.”

A Wright State spokesman said the Marriott was the only hotel booked because the university was only responsible for finding hotel accommodations for the debate commission. The Greene County Convention and Visitors Bureau said there is no way of knowing if or how much the lost debate could have impacted area business as a whole.

Continuing coverage

The Dayton Daily News is your best source for information on Wright State University’s canceled presidential debate. Follow our higher education reporter on Twitter at @MaxFilby for updates on higher education news from around the Miami Valley.