Couple welcomes 1 pound 'miracle baby' born on cruise ship

Published: Thursday, September 24, 2015 @ 1:58 AM
Updated: Thursday, September 24, 2015 @ 1:58 AM

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

Premature babies are not uncommon, but Haiden Morgan is being called a “miracle baby.”

Morgan’s parent’s, Chase and Emily, were on a seven-day cruise with their 3-year-old daughter through the Caribbean when Emily’s labor pains began. Doctors had cleared Emily for her travels because her original due date wasn’t until December.

>> Read more trending stories  

But Emily's labor pains kept getting worse.

"At 1:20 a.m., the doctor came over, looked at me and said, 'Keep your legs closed. Don't push because we are not porting for another 14 hours,'" Emily told KSL.

She couldn’t wait.

“I am pushing because this baby is coming. I know!” she said.

30 minutes later, Haiden was born at 1 pound, 8 ounces.

Initially, medical staff believed the baby was born dead. When Emily asked to see the baby, the staff denied her request.

Then, the unexpected happened.

"About 45 minutes after I had delivered, the two doctors came back in and said the baby was still alive,” Emily said. “However, they didn't expect him to live very long."

 Emily and the medical staff worked to keep Haiden warm until the ship docked later that day.

The ship’s captain, who believed the baby was dead, called Emily hours after her delivery.

“I was sitting with the baby, and he could hear the baby crying," she said. "And he said, 'Wait a minute, he's alive?' And I said, 'He is.' He said, ‘We are going as fast as we can, and we'll port two hours early in San Juan, and we'll get you guys to the hospital,’ but he said, ‘That's as fast as I can get you there.’" 

The cruise ship docked in Puerto Rico in the time the captain had promised.

After spending three days in Puerto Rico and making numerous phone calls, the Morgnas were able to get a medical transport plane to fly them to a Miami hospital. They’ll spend the next month there.

"His feet are 2 inches long and his hands are about an inch and a half," Emily said. "His body length is about 13 inches, but his lungs were fully developed, so his prognosis is good,” she said. "On a daily basis they tell us he's a miracle baby and that he wants to be here."

5-foot tapeworm wiggles out of California man after eating sushi

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 8:39 PM

File photo.  (Photo by Jesse Grant/Getty Images for Lifetime)
Jesse Grant
File photo. (Photo by Jesse Grant/Getty Images for Lifetime)(Jesse Grant)

A sushi-loving California man with a habit of consuming raw salmon recently pulled out a 5-foot tapeworm from his own body.

>> Read more trending news

According to Dr. Kenny Bahn, who treated the man in August and revealed the case on a Jan. 8 episode of the medical podcast “This Won’t Hurt a Bit,” his patient thought he was dying.

"He asked me for worm treatment and I was like, 'Oh, not an everyday request,'" Bahn said on the podcast, skeptical about the patient’s self-diagnosis.
It started with abdominal cramps and escalated to bloody diarrhea. Then, the man told Bahn, when he went to the bathroom, “I looked down and it looked like there was a piece of intestine hanging out of me.”

Though the visual is horrifying, the man was relieved to find it wasn’t a part of his own intestines.

Instead, it was a 5-and-a-half foot tapeworm “wiggling” out of his body, likely a result of the man’s daily consumption of raw salmon, Bahn said.

In January 2017, experts with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that eating raw or undercooked fish heightens the risk of developing an infection from parasites, including Diphyllobothrium nihonkaiense, or the Japanese broad tapeworm. And wild salmon caught in Alaska had also been infected.

Doctors warned that eating raw salmon in the United States, particularly along the Pacific Coast, may increase risk of those Japanese tapeworm parasites.

According to the CDC, the Japanese tapeworm and related species can grow up to 30 feet long.

Not everyone infected with the tapeworm will have symptoms, but some common signs and symptoms of a Diphyllobothrium infection can include abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting and weight loss.

In some cases, complications can lead to intestinal obstruction and gall bladder disease, according to the CDC.

Once diagnosed, a health care provider prescribes an effective medication, typically a pill, to kill the parasite.

Power restored near Miami Valley Hospital, UD student neighborhoods

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 7:17 PM
Updated: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 8:34 PM

Brown Street loses power

UPDATE @ 8:20 p.m.: DP&L crews are continuing to search for a possible cause of the power outage along Brown Street that affected 1,325 customers in total, spokesman Kevin Hall said. 

The outage hit about 6:50 p.m., he said. Electric service was restored to all affected customers shortly after 8 p.m.

UPDATE @ 7:39 p.m.: 

The DP&L online outage map now shows 126 customers without power along Brown Street, near Miami Valley Hospital and the UD student neighborhoods, from Chambers Street to U.S. 35. 

A hospital administrator at MVH said the hospital is operating on generator power. 

Elevators there stopped immediately when the outage struck about 6:45 p.m., she said. Workers and security were able to get everyone off the cars, she said. 

No patients were put in danger because of the outage, she said.

INITIAL REPORT

Hundreds of businesses and residences along Brown Street, near Miami Valley Hospital and the University of Dayton student neighborhoods, are without power. 

According to the Dayton Power & Light online outage map, nearly 1,200 customers are affected. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Guest lists being checked to track drug dealers

Calls began coming into the newsroom just before 7 p.m. 

We’re hearing the outage extends along Brown Street, from Chambers Street west to U.S. 35. 

Jimmy’s Ladder 11, in the 900 block of Brown, and Subway, in the 1100 block, are among the businesses in the dark. 

We have a call into DP&L for details about the possible cause of the outage.

Stay with whio.com for breaking news.

Deputies: Florida man tries to order burrito from bank, gets charged with DUI

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 5:28 PM

Florida Man Charged With DUI After Ordering Burrito From Bank

Police in Florida arrested a 28-year-old man on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol after authorities said he attempted to order a burrito from a Bank of America after confusing it for a Taco Bell, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

Records from the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office show authorities arrested Douglas Jon Francisco, 28, on Wednesday.

The manager of the Bank of America branch on Mariner Boulevard in Spring Hill, Martin Claussen, called authorities Wednesday afternoon after he said he found a blue Hyundai in the bank’s drive-up bank lane with a man who appeared to be passed out inside, WTSP reported.

Claussen said he had to bang on the car window several times before Francisco awoke, according to the Tampa Bay Times. When Francisco saw the bank manager, deputies said he tried to order a burrito.

>> Read more Floridoh! stories 

Claussen told Francisco that he was not at a Taco Bell and Francisco drove the Hyundai to the bank’s front parking lot, according to the Times. Deputies said he was in the front parking lot, the car still idling, when authorities arrived.

In an arrest report, a deputy wrote that Francisco “made several statements that were differing from reality” and denied asking Claussen for a burrito. Deputies said his responses during a field sobriety test “were slow in a way that was consistent with someone on prescription narcotics,” WTSP reported. He was given a drug test, the results of which were pending.

During a search of the Hyundai, deputies said they found prescription medication that had been made out in Francisco’s name, according to the Times.

Jail records show Francisco was booked into the Hernando County Detention Center around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday and released Thursday afternoon on a $500 bond.

Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose, family says 

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 7:15 PM

Tom Petty Death Caused By Accidental Drug Overdose

Tom Petty died from an accidental drug overdose after taking a variety of medications, the family for the legendary rock star said Friday. 

>> Read more trending news

Petty, who suffered emphysema, knee problems and more recently a fractured hip, was prescribed various pain medications including Fentanyl patches, his family said. 

“On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication,” his family wrote on Facebook

The family called Petty’s Oct. 2 death an unfortunate accident. 

“As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.”

DOVER, DE - JUNE 22: Tom Petty performs onstage at the Firefly Music Festival at The Woodlands of Dover International Speedway on June 22, 2013 in Dover, Delaware. (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for Firefly Music Festival)(Theo Wargo)