Contaminated green debris costs city greenbacks

Published: Thursday, October 05, 2017 @ 9:26 AM


            Some people have been improperly dumping trash and contaminated green debris at a Dayton yard waste drop-off site.
Some people have been improperly dumping trash and contaminated green debris at a Dayton yard waste drop-off site.

The city of Dayton has taken steps to prevent people from dumping trash and bulky waste items at its green debris drop-off site, which is a prohibited activity that requires taxpayer dollars to fix.

Dayton operates a green landfill at 2670 Wagner Ford Road and a yard waste drop-off site at 1826 N. Gettysburg Ave.

Citizens at those sites can at no cost dispose of tree limbs, grass clippings, branches, leaves and other brush and plant materials.

RELATED: Junked rides and auto abandonment frustrates Daytonians

But some people were improperly dumping trash and green debris contaminated with other waste at the Gettysburg site, which the city had to pay to properly dispose of at the Montgomery County transfer station.

Between January and August, the city removed 284 tons of trash from the Gettysburg site and had to pay the transfer station $10,870 in tipping fees to accept the materials.

In May, the city started staffing the Gettysburg site for daily monitoring to minimize trash disposal, and the city also installed a gate system at the property and restricted its hours of operation.

“We’re having some challenges there that individuals will not follow the proper procedures for using the site,” Fred Stovall, Dayton’s director of public works, said earlier this year.

RELATED: Trash piles up in pockets of Dayton

The city can transport green debris from the Gettysburg site to the Wagner Ford Road landfill without having to incur tipping fees.

But green debris mixed with trash has to be taken to the county’s south transfer station and the city must pay $38.25 per ton to dispose of it, Stovall said.

People have discarded construction debris, furniture, household waste, plastic bags, metal and tires at the site.

Most green debris is converted into mulch under an agreement the city has with National Pallet & Mulch.

“This site is strictly for yard, green waste — nothing else,” Stovall said.

The site at 1826 N. Gettysburg Ave. operates 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Friday, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

The Wagner Ford Road landfill hours are 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.

During leaf season (Oct. 22 through Dec. 30) the hours will be 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, noon to 5 p.m. Saturday and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday.

Police search for suspect in report of armed robbery

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 11:17 AM

Police are currently looking for at least one suspect in report of an armed robbery on Wayne Ave. in Dayton.

Crews responded around 10:50 Sunday morning to report of an armed robbery at the Dollar General store on 1431 Wayne Avenue, according to dispatchers.

We are working to learn multiple details about this developing story. 

Air Force may recall up to 1,000 retired pilots

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 12:24 AM

Up to 1,000 Retired Air Force Pilots May Be Recalled

The U.S. Air Force may recall as many as 1,000 retired military pilots to active duty because of an executive order signed Friday by President Donald Trump,  ABC News reported.

>> Read more trending news

By law, only 25 retired pilots can be recalled through voluntary programs to serve in any one branch of military service, but Trump’s executive order removes that limit, ABC News reported. The order expands the national state of emergency declared in 2001 by President George W. Bush in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks as part of an effort “to mitigate the Air Force’s acute shortage of pilots,” said Navy Commander Gary Ross, a Pentagon spokesman.

Secretary of Air Force Heather Wilson said the service was short by 1,555 pilots -- including 1,211 fighter pilots -- at the end of the 2016 fiscal year.

"We anticipate that the Secretary of Defense will delegate the authority to the Secretary of the Air Force to recall up to 1,000 retired pilots for up to three years," Ross said in a statement Friday. "The pilot supply shortage is a national level challenge that could have adverse effects on all aspects of both the government and commercial aviation sectors for years to come."

Teacher duct tapes 5th graders mouths shut to keep them quiet

Published: Sunday, October 22, 2017 @ 11:08 AM

An elementary school student raises a hand in class. A substitute teacher in Texas was banned from a school in Killeen after she allegedly duct-taped students’ mouths shut.
Ulrich Baumgarten/U. Baumgarten via Getty Images
An elementary school student raises a hand in class. A substitute teacher in Texas was banned from a school in Killeen after she allegedly duct-taped students’ mouths shut.(Ulrich Baumgarten/U. Baumgarten via Getty Images)

A substitute teacher at an elementary school in Killeen, Texas, has lost her job after allegedly duct-taping fifth-graders mouths shut to keep them quiet, according to news outlets.

>> Read more trending news

The incident, which lasted for several minutes, involved 10 students at Maxdale Elementary SchoolABC News reported. Three additional students also placed duct tape over their own mouths after their classmates mouth were duct-taped.

“She had an idea where some kids would line up in a line and she would duct tape their mouths,” fifth-grader Andy Hernandez told KRON.

The students were checked out by a school nurse and school officials later called child protective services.

The students were not injured by the tape, but the Killeen Independent School District launched an investigation and later banned the teacher from campus.

“The substitute teacher was immediately removed from the classroom and barred from the campus as a result of this outrageous and unconscionable behavior,” the district said in a statement, KRON reported.

“The school leadership notified child protective services of the event, and we will work closely in support of any additional investigation by law enforcement as needed,” district officials said.

>> Related: Teacher strapped special needs child to chair with masking tape

The school’s principal called the parents of the children involved to inform them of the incident, KRON reported.

Pizza shop owners remove bathroom signs after protests

Published: Saturday, October 21, 2017 @ 1:45 PM

Restaurant Owners Remove Controversial Bathroom Signs

The owners of a Colorado pizza shop are reluctantly removing the controversial bathroom signs at their restaurant after receiving backlash.

The signs depict a man trying to lift up a woman's skirt, The Durango Herald reported. While the restroom signs have been up since HomeSlice Pizza opened four years ago, the complaints skyrocketed after images of the signs were shared on social media. Some found the signs to be in poor taste and making light of sexual harassment and sexual assault.

>> Read more trending news

Lynn Kitch and her husband own the restaurant. Kitch submitted a statement to the Herald, in which she said that she was removing the signs not because they are offensive, but because she didn't want her employees subjected to "adverse working conditions." Kitch said in the statement that she is a sexual assault survivor and would have welcomed a meaningful conversation about the signs, but instead, protesters were making harassing calls to the restaurant and cyberbullying the business by leaving bad reviews online.

Some HomeSlice Pizza customers supported the owners, saying the sign was meant to be humorous.

Kitch said at least one of the signs will be auctioned off and the proceeds will be donated to a local organization who supports sexual assault victims.