breaking news


Columbus airport to be renamed after John Glenn

Published: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 @ 4:45 PM
Updated: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 @ 5:21 PM

Airport to be renamed after John Glenn

The main airport in Ohio’s capital will be renamed John Glenn Columbus International Airport to honor the American hero if a bill moving swiftly through the Statehouse becomes law.

Ohio House Speaker Cliff Rosenberger, R-Clarksville, is spearheading the name change to honor Glenn, the first American to orbit the earth and a four-term United States senator. Rosenberger said Tuesday that he has lined up support from Senate President Keith Faber, R-Celina, Gov. John Kasich, Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther, Franklin County commissioners and others.

“I had a chance to catch both Sen. Glenn and Annie Glenn yesterday at a function before they took off and said ‘Would you mind if we did this?’ And of course he is extremely humble and would never look to seek anything like that but was extremely touched,” Rosenberger said. “I think it is very befitting for his honor.”

Glenn, now 94, has lived a storybook life. The small-town Ohio boy married his childhood sweetheart, Annie Castor, and served as a fighter pilot in two wars, a test pilot, an astronaut and a U.S. senator.

In 1998 he returned to space on a nine-day mission aboard the Discovery space shuttle, becoming the oldest American in space. Last year, Ohio State University elevated the John Glenn School to the John Glenn College of Public Affairs.

Glenn is now the last of the original Mercury 7 astronauts still living.

Rosenberger said he expects minimal cost to the name change because he anticipates signs would be changed out as needed over time.

“I can’t think of a more appropriate or fitting honor than to have John Glenn’s name on central Ohio’s largest airport,” said Dale Butland, who served on Glenn’s Congressional staff. “He’s been called the last genuine American hero and when you think of everything he was a part of — WW II, Korea, the early space program, his friendship with the Kennedys, and 24 years in the U.S. Senate — I’m not sure we could have held the last half of the 20th century without him.”

The Ohio House will vote on the bill Wednesday, Rosenberger said.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Reports: Explosion at Middletown coke plant

Published: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 12:04 AM
Updated: Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ 12:25 AM

There have been numerous reports of several loud explosions Saturday night at AK Steel Corp.

Middletown dispatch confirmed they received reports of a possible explosion, but said they are not aware of the cause of the noise reported, nor where it may have occurred.

>> Warren County resident loses $2K in fake arrest scam

Witnesses said the blasts happened sometime around 11:20 p.m.

We are working to learn more about what happened, and whether there were any injuries.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Woman dies as tornado hits Kentucky home; first tornado fatality of 2018

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 9:07 PM

Tornado (stock photo)
Willoughby Owen / Moment / Getty Images
Tornado (stock photo)(Willoughby Owen / Moment / Getty Images)

A woman was killed and her husband injured Saturday afternoon when a possible tornado struck their home on Dot Road in southern Logan County, WHOP AM/FM radio in Hopkinsville, Ky., reported.

>> Swollen waterways prompt flood watch, warnings along Great Miami R, other spots

The tornado entered Logan County around 3:45 p.m. from Robertson County, Tennessee.

The woman’s name was not released. Her death marks the first of 2018 during a tornado.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

House releases Democrats’ rebuttal to GOP memo on alleged government surveillance abuses

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 4:23 PM

 House Intelligence Ranking Member Adam Schiff (D-CA) speaks at the Council On Foreign Relations .
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images
 House Intelligence Ranking Member Adam Schiff (D-CA) speaks at the Council On Foreign Relations .(Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

The House Intelligence Committee Saturday released the Democrats’ rebuttal to the Republican memo alleging the FBI and Department of Justice engaged in questionable tactics in the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and alleged Trump campaign collusion with Russia. 

>> Read more trending news 

Schiff Memo by National Content Desk on Scribd

>> Related: House Intelligence Committee votes to release Democrat’s rebuttal to Nunes memo

The 10-page memo, released two weeks after President Donald Trump blocked it and after wrangling between Democrats and DOJ officials, was authored by ranking Intelligence Committee Democrat Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) in response to one by House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA), and disputes allegations that illegal tactics were used to get warrants to surveil a former Trump campaign aide.

“The Democratic response memo released today should put to rest any concerns that the American people might have as to the conduct of the FBI, the Justice Department and the FISC. Our extensive review of the initial FISA application and three subsequent renewals failed to uncover any evidence of illegal, unethical, or unprofessional behavior by law enforcement and instead revealed that both the FBI and DOJ made extensive showings to justify all four requests,” Schiff said in a statement Saturday after the release of the memo.

Trump tweeted a response to Schiff’s document release Saturday, calling the Democrats’ memo “a total political and legal bust.” He also repeated his claims that special prosecutor Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and possible collusion with the Trump campaign is a “witch hunt.”

The president released the Nunes memo last month, which contained information purporting to show that the FBI and DOJ did not provide complete information when requesting a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court warrant to watch one-time Trump campaign member and foreign policy advisor Carter Page.

>> Related: Trump sends Democrats’ Nunes rebuttal memo back to House committee

The release of both memos came over the objections of investigators in the intelligence communities.

What You Need To Know About Carter Page

Trending - Most Read Stories

Teen held in slaying of Dayton mom in front of two kids

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 10:26 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 11:52 AM

Connected to Lorenz Avenue homicide

A 17-year-old male accused of fatally shooting a Dayton mother in front of two young children will remain in custody following a detention hearing Saturday morning. 

RELATED: Coroner: Victim in Lorenz Ave. shooting dies, identified

The teen, who was arrested and placed in detention Friday, is suspected of killing 22-year-old Keyona Murray, who was shot in the head in a home on the 100 block of Lorenz Ave. in Dayton on Feb. 16. 

 Neighbors and a 911 caller who reported Murray’s shooting said the gunfire came from outside the home, in a back alley. 

 Murray, who died at Miami Valley Hospital, was shot in front of her 2-year-old child and her 2-year-old nephew. A candlelight vigil was held for her earlier this week outside the home where she was wounded. 

On Saturday, the teen suspect denied a charge of murder and felony burglary at hearing in Montgomery County Juvenile Court. 

Keyona Murray, shot and killed in an incident Feb. 16, 2018, at a home in the 100 block of Lorenz Avenue in Dayton. (Courtesy/Miami Valley Crime Stoppers)

The teen will appear in court for a preliminary conference on the morning of March 9 before Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi. Police said the suspect was taken into custody after being found at a residence on Gard Avenue in Dayton. 

TRENDING: Springboro unveils plan for crossroads redevelopment

The suspect has a fairly lengthy criminal record , according to juvenile court officials. 

The suspect successfully completed about three months of probation on about Jan. 25 related to a misdemeanor theft charge in Greene County, juvenile court officials said.  

Court officials previously said he had been in trouble before on charges that include delinquency by reason of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. 

He served probation in 2013 related to an attempted burglary charge. In 2015, he was given probation again, with a suspended commitment to the state juvenile correctional system, after another burglary charge. Both charges were felonies.  

In addition to the murder charge, the suspect faces a pending felony-level burglary charge.  

TRENDING: School expert: How to help at-risk students and know where ‘the line’ is

Janice Meadows, who has lived on Lorenz Avenue for 30 years, called 911 on Feb. 16 after hearing gunshots outside.  

“I knew the gunshots were close from how loud it was,” she said. “I thought someone was shooting toward my house — it sounded that close.”  

Meadows lives a couple doors down from where Murray was shot. Murray moved into the rental home around the end of summer, she said.  

“We’re really sorry we didn’t have time to get to know them,” she said. “It’s such a tragedy.” 

Meadows says it’s a safe neighborhood because the residents know each other and most have lived there for many years. 

Sometimes, she said, small groups of people hang out on the streets or corners, but neighbors will call the police if there’s too much activity. 

 “We’ll call because we’ve got children and grandchildren,” she said.

Trending - Most Read Stories