City of Marietta responds to K-9 auction case

Updated: Sunday, August 28, 2016 @ 9:26 PM
Published: Monday, February 01, 2016 @ 8:40 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

UPDATE @ 8:15 p.m. (Feb. 1): The City of Marietta, in a prepared statement released tonight via Facebook, stands by its offer to appoint retired police Officer Matt Hickey to the position of an auxiliary officer with duties that would include his being a keeper for K-9 Officer Ajax.

According to the statement, Hickey agreed to the arrangement last week after the city council on Jan. 28 voiced support for keeping the dog with Hickey.

There has been no comment from Hickey and word on what will happen to the more than $50,000 pledged to a GoFundMe page set up to help the former officer buy Ajax when the city takes the dog to auction.

According to the city. K-9 officers retired because of age or infirmity are offered to their former partners, by state law, for $1. Ajax has several working years remaining in his career and according to state law would have to be sold at auction if the officer wanted to purchase the animal before the K-9 is officially retired, according to the statement.


People have stepped up to help a retired Ohio police officer purchase his longtime K9 partner.

By Sunday, a GoFundMe page set up to help buy Ajax when the city takes it to auction had raised more than $50,000.

Recently retired Marietta officer Matt Hickey has offered to buy the dog for $3,500 — the police dog’s estimated value, but the city said Ajax must be sold at auction because he’s public property, according to the Associated Press report.

Any excess funds raised on the GoFundMe page will go toward buying protective vests for other K9 officers, according to the AP report.

In an interview with WBNS-TV in Columbus, Hickey said he has cared for the dog for three years and that he’s like a family member.

Marietta officials said they’ll only allow a police officer, active or retired, or a trainer of police dogs to bid on Ajax, according to the AP.

For news and updates, download the WHIO mobile app here.

Dayton Police Department seeks to hire 30 new officers

Updated: Friday, October 28, 2016 @ 5:37 AM
Published: Thursday, October 27, 2016 @ 11:10 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

The Dayton Police Department showed off its special vehicles and equipment Thursday to potential recruits during a hiring expo.

The department is seeking to hire between 30 and 35 new patrol officers.

“The new blood is what keeps the police department going,” said Dayton police Sgt. Jason Hall, who added that officers routinely retire and move on from the police force. “To see the people who are coming up and take your place, not to mention train those folks, is very rewarding.”

Detectives, the bomb squad and its robot and the Special Weapons and Tactics team were among units in the parking lot outside Welcome Stadium to answer questions for new recruits. Also in attendance was Zeta, a K-9 trained to sniff out explosives or hazardous materials, who showed off her skills to potential recruits.

Recruits would earn an hourly wage of $16.80 as they go through the Dayton Police Academy, and would earn at least $53,900 a year to start, according to 2017 figures on the DPD recruiting website. The department is especially seeking women and minorities to join its ranks to promote diversity. Information about requirements and the application process is available on the department’s recruiting website.

National SCLC: There is no Dayton chapter

Updated: Friday, October 28, 2016 @ 5:37 AM
Published: Thursday, October 27, 2016 @ 7:56 PM
By: Josh Sweigart - Staff Writer

            National SCLC: There is no Dayton chapter
Bishop Richard Cox claims he is on the board of directors of the national SCLC. The civil rights organization based in Atlanta says Cox is not on its board, and says there is no Dayton SCLC chapter. FILE

The local group calling for the national SCLC in Atlanta to investigate allegations of systemic racism in the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office had its tax-exempt status revoked in 2012 and is no longer affiliated with the iconic civil rights organization, an I-Team investigation found.

Bishop Richard Cox says he is president of the Dayton chapter of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and a member of the group’s national board.

But Charles Brooks, general counsel for the SCLC in Atlanta, said in an interview Thursday that Cox is not on its board and that there is no official Dayton chapter.

FULL STORY: Local civil rights group’s claims disputed

After corrections officers went public with complaints about what they said was racial discord at the county jail, Cox held a press conference Oct. 12 calling for Sheriff Phil Plummer to resign and said he would urge the national SCLC to investigate.

“They also have the backing of the national SCLC, because I’m a board member,” Cox said of the corrections officers who brought the complaints. “I may have the national office come in here on this particular incident.”

FROM THE ARCHIVES: Civil rights group calls on sheriff to resign

But Brooks said he has represented the SCLC since November 2013, and “(Cox) has not been a board member since that time period.”

There used to be a Dayton chapter, he said, before it collapsed under scandal and its leader Raleigh Trammell went to prison in 2013.

“Since that time period the only recognized chapter in the state of Ohio is Cleveland,” Brooks said.

IRS records show the local chapter’s tax-exempt status was revoked in 2012 for not filing required forms with the IRS.

“They have not called me and said I’m not on the national board and they have not called me and said there is no Dayton SCLC,” Cox said this week. “If that’s the case they need to tell me that.”

When asked about this, Brooks responded, “I’ve never made it a habit of randomly calling people and telling them they’re not on our board.”

Armed resident chases off gunmen — 1 of whom was wearing clown mask

Updated: Friday, October 28, 2016 @ 5:37 AM
Published: Thursday, October 27, 2016 @ 11:11 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

Dayton police have been alerted to be on the lookout for three armed men who tried to get into an apartment, but were thwarted when the resident fired a warning shot.

A broadcast issued just after 10 p.m. cautioned police that the men — two with handguns and a third with a long gun — tried to force their way into a residence in the 700 block of Hart Street just after 9 p.m.

Two of the men were wearing ski masks and the third was wearing a clown mask, according to police.

The three ran at the sound of the gunfire from the resident.

Click here to download our free mobile app for breaking news and news updates.

Suspect in Hollywood Gaming robbery in custody

Updated: Friday, October 28, 2016 @ 5:10 AM
By: Breaking News Staff

UPDATE @5:06 a.m.

The suspect in the robbery of a woman outside the Hollywood Gaming at Dayton Raceway is now in custody.

Nathan Griffith, 24, was booked into jail early Friday morning on a charge of robbery.

UPDATE @ 11 p.m.

The suspect in the Hollywood Gaming robbery is in front of the Montgomery County Jail, saying he wants to turn himself in, according to the sheriff’s office.

Police earlier identified the suspect as 24-year-old Nathan Griffith. Dayton police said they were on the way to the jail to meet the suspect.

UPDATE @ 7:20 p.m.

Police are still searching for a man they said stalked a Hollywood Gaming at Dayton Raceway customer and then shoved her to the ground and tried to rob her of her winnings Wednesday night in an attack caught on video.

The casino’s security is what led police to easily identify the suspect as 24-year-old Nathan Griffith, Dayton police Sgt. Matt Beavers said. First, Griffith used his driver’s license at the casino, 777 Hollywood Blvd., to play games. Then, surveillance video inside captured him watch the woman cash out her winnings and then follow her out of the building. In the parking lot, cameras recorded the attack of the 63-year-old woman.

“You see she bounces off the ground, fight on the ground, over a couple bucks,” Beavers said.

During the struggle, the woman’s purse upended and he grabbed the checkbook and took off. “He didn’t get the winnings. She had a good hold on the purse,” Beavers said.

Anyone with information about Griffith’s whereabouts is urged to call Crime Stoppers at 937-222-STOP(7867).


A 63-year-old woman fended off a male suspected robber while she was walking to her vehicle after spending the evening at Hollywood Gaming at Dayton Raceway Wednesday.

The woman told police she was leaving the racino around 9:45 p.m. when a male suspect approached her shortly after she entered the parking lot, according to a Dayton police report.

The suspect, identified as Nathan Griffith, grabbed the woman’s purse and tried to steal it, however the woman held onto the purse and the suspect dragged her across the parking lot, the report said.

The woman told police the man was in his mid 20s to early 30s, had light hair, a light color sweatshirt and blue jeans, according to the report.

Police are still searching for Griffith and anyone with information on his whereabouts can contact Crime Stoppers at 222-STOP.