breaking news


Woman killed in I-75 crash in West Carrollton ID’d

Published: Saturday, July 15, 2017 @ 4:00 PM
Updated: Sunday, July 16, 2017 @ 11:15 AM

FROM SCENE: Fatal crash on I-75 North in West Carrollton

A woman killed in a crash Saturday afternoon on Interstate 75 in West Carrollton has been identified as 55-year-old Jacqueline Clifton of Dayton, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

No information was available on her preliminary cause of death.

>> Driver in fiery, wrong-way I-75 crash had drugs in system 

The fatal crash shut down all northbound lanes of Interstate 75 in West Carrollton for several hours Saturday afternoon. 

According to troopers, a blue Toyota Prius, driven by Clifton, traveled on the off ramp from I-75 northbound at West Carrollton, went up a 90 foot hill and reentered northbound I-75 around 3:45 p.m. The Prius was then T-boned by a camper, which overturned in the median. Clifton was pronounced dead at the scene.

A white Ford Taurus also was struck during the crash. The occupants of the camper and Taurus were taken to Sycamore and Kettering medical centers, and their injuries are not life-threatening, troopers said.

>> Local news from the Miami Valley 

The scene was cleared around 7:30 p.m.

Trump: Transgender people won't be allowed in the military

Published: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 @ 9:13 AM

Trump: Transgender People Won't Be Allowed In The Military

President Donald Trump on Wednesday said transgender people will be barred from serving “in any capacity” in the U.S. military, writing on Twitter that such service would cause “disruption” and burden the U.S. with “tremendous medical costs.”

>> Read more trending news

Current Department of Defense policy allows for transgender people to serve openly and says individuals “can no longer be discharged or otherwise separated from the military solely for being transgender individuals.”

Trump said the decision was made after he consulted his “generals and military experts.”

“Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail,” he wrote in a series of tweets.

Dayton schools change route, will bus kids to daycare

Published: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 @ 8:00 PM


            Daycare providers applaud Dayton Public Schools’ decision to provide busing service, as DPS Superintendent Rhonda Corr (center) credits Associate Superintendent Shelia Burton (left) for making the plan work. JEREMY P. KELLEY / STAFF
Daycare providers applaud Dayton Public Schools’ decision to provide busing service, as DPS Superintendent Rhonda Corr (center) credits Associate Superintendent Shelia Burton (left) for making the plan work. JEREMY P. KELLEY / STAFF

Dayton Public Schools has reversed a previous plan and will continue to transport students to for-profit daycare centers in 2017-18.

The district had planned to eliminate that service, which affects about 500 students, as part of a broad effort to reduce the number of buses needed and make busing more efficient. But several daycare providers objected to the policy at last week’s school board meeting.

LAST WEEK: Busing decision angers daycare providers

In a meeting with more than two dozen daycare providers Tuesday, DPS officials announced the switch, saying there will be bus stops directly in front of roughly two-thirds of the 45 centers, and there will be stops within walking distance of the other third.

“We heard you very clearly the other night,” Superintendent Rhonda Corr said. “We heard your concerns and heard your passion and compassion for our kids and for their parents who have to work.”

ORIGINAL PLAN: DPS considers major busing changes

Corr said DPS worked with its transportation department to adjust some bus routes and stops to make this system work. She said the district couldn’t put a stop in front of every center, but wanted to meet its partners halfway.

Several daycare providers raised questions about liability for students dropped off a block or two away from their center. Corr urged those daycare providers to have a staffer meet the bus and walk the students to the center.

RELATED: DPS drops RTA plan for middle schoolers

Associate Superintendent Shelia Burton said if a preschool or kindergarten student is being dropped off and there is not an adult there to meet the children, they would be brought back to district offices, as they have been in past years.

Burton said DPS is committed to this plan for the entire 2017-18 school year, then will revisit the idea next summer. The daycare providers were generally in favor of DPS’ new plan.

LAST YEAR: Dayton schools’ busing woes continue

“I would like to thank you,” said Neal Holtvogt, owner of Bluebook Schools childcare. “You did listen, and I think it’s a fabulous plan … your decision was a good decision for children.”

Downtown pavilion gets the green light for construction bids

Published: Monday, July 24, 2017 @ 3:58 PM

See Dave Hall Plaza, site of the future Levitt Pavilion from the air.

The city of Dayton has issued bids to construct the Levitt Pavilion Dayton, a move demonstrating extreme confidence that supporters will reach their $5 million fundraising goal.

The group that is raising money to build a state-of-the-art outdoor music venue in downtown Dayton has about $4.75 million committed — which is just $250,000 short of the capital campaign’s goal, according to information contained in a newsletter issued last week by the Friends of Levitt Pavilion Dayton.

“We can almost start to hear the music flow through the park,” the newsletter states. “We need your help to close the final gap.”

.(Staff Writer)

The city has asked for bids for the construction of a new music pavilion, a new service building, landscaping, a water feature and for the removal and replanting of trees.

Bids are due on Aug. 10, and the construction project is supposed to be complete by May 14, 2018. Concerts are expected to kick off next year .

“The city, Levitt national and the Friends of Levitt Pavilion Dayton are confident enough in our ability to close the gap that we are moving forward with the bidding process,” said Jeff Ireland, chair of the Friends of Levitt board. “If the bid process (and final fundraising) goes as expected, we should see work beginning in September.”

Huber Heights rejects medical marijuana

Published: Monday, July 24, 2017 @ 10:51 PM
Updated: Monday, July 24, 2017 @ 10:20 PM

Huber Heights rejects medical marijuana

Huber Heights city council voted down a zoning change to allow medical marijuana cultivators, processors and distributors, and additionally passed a moratorium on the industry in the city.

The vote against medical marijuana went against the recommendation of the city’s planning commission and and was a setback for a group of businessmen who sought to start a cultivation facility, though they said they will still fight to bring their business to the community.

The vote was claimed as a victory for a host of citizens who vocally opposed the measure.

“Thrilled,” said Melissa Petachi, who carried the charge against marijuana in the city. Earlier in the day, Petachi and others held a press conference in front of city hall opposing the industry. “It was a huge victory for citizens and our children.

The vote on both measures — rejection of the change to the zoning code and approval of the moratorium — was 6-2.

Council had recently approved a survey of residents as a barometer of public opinion on medical marijuana, a controversial but growing industry across the nation. But council nevertheless decided to move forward anyway on voting against medical pot on Monday.

Medical marijuana

“It’s unfortunate the survey wasn’t done in a more timely manner,” said Councilwoman Janell Smith, who voted against marijuana. “It wouldn’t be prudent for us to be waiting around and waiting around and kicking this down the curb for more weeks.”

Spokespeople for FW Green Investments, LLC, a firm that sought to start a cultivation facility in Huber Heights, attempted a last ditch effort to win council’s approval. They expressed displeasure with council after the vote.

Initially, those spokespeople said they would pull out of Huber Heights. But after the meeting in an exclusive interview with News Center 7 and the Dayton Daily News, the businessmen expressed a desire to keep working to bring a facility to Huber Heights.

“We’re obviously disappointed in how the city reacted tonight, but we’re still excited about Huber Heights and we still intend to proceed with our initial plans,” said Steve Anevski, general council for FW Green Investments, L.L.C.

Earlier in the night, Anevski said the group would “seek legal remedies … which could cause further cost to the city.”

“We weren’t very happy with how they handled the procedures tonight,” Anevski said of the city, after the meeting. “This was a zoning hearing, and there wasn’t a lot of zoning in there, so we intend to bring this back to zoning … we’re going to revisit the zoning issue and go from there.”