Task force seizes 66 pounds of heroin, fentanyl, marijuana in Montgomery County raids

Published: Thursday, April 13, 2017 @ 2:25 PM
Updated: Thursday, April 13, 2017 @ 8:59 PM

Montgomery County could double overdose numbers from last year

The four suspected drug traffickers arrested in this week’s seizure of 66.2 pounds of drugs are believed to be associated with the Sinaloa Cartel in Mexico, state Attorney General Mike DeWine and Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer said.

The haul -- 46.2 pounds (21 kilos) of mostly heroin, fentanyl and 20 pounds of marijuana -- has a street value estimated at $2 million -- was only part of the seizure executed Wednesday by the Miami Valley Bulk Smuggling Task Force, part of the Ohio Organized Crime Investigations Commission, DeWine and Plummer said.

The task force also discovered approximately $120,000 in cash in the raids DeWine and Plummer said occurred at several residences, including 110 Klee Ave. and 115 S. Delmar Ave. in Dayton, and 332 Hillway Drive in Harrison Twp.

The four men arrested and detained on charges of drug possession, drug trafficking and money laundering:

  • Cabrera Alvarez, 42, of Phoenix
  • Julio Castillo-Egurrola, 30, of Dayton
  • Emmanuel Sanchez-Perez, 28, of Harrison Twp. He is not a U.S. citizen. He faced a previous deportation but returned to the States.
  • and Dagoberto Verdugo-Aguirre, 45, of Dayton. 

PHOTOS: Evidence, the suspects from drug bust 

ON THE SCENE: WHIO’s Kate Bartley attended the news conference

DeWine and Plummer said the investigation is continuing and more arrests are expected.

“If you’re thinking about bringing drugs into the Miami Valley, don’t,” Plummer said at an afternoon news conference at the sheriff’s headquarters in downtown Dayton. “We’re very good at what we do. I believe our message is clear and our unified efforts with federal, state and local law enforcement are working.”

Montgomery County Coroner Dr. Kent Harshbarger, who also spoke during the news conference, reported there have been 182 to 208 overdose deaths in the county this year. He also said Montgomery County is on pace for 750 to 800 overdose deaths. 

Harshbarger noted there were 10 overdose deaths Wednesday. 

RELATEDMontgomery, Greene sheriffs say drug dealers ‘killing our citizens’

A third person who addressed reporters, Bruce Langos of the Montgomery County Drug-Free Coalition, said law enforcement (not EMS or fire) have used 400 Narcan kits so far in 2017. 

Plummer said deputies at the Montgomery County jail recently had to use 16 doses of Narcan on one inmate.

At the end of the news conference, Plummer urged other law enforcement agencies to join the task force so they can end the war on drugs. 

Montgomery County Sheriff to hold drug bust press conference

Shutdown: Air Force museum closes: Wright-Patt workers face furlough

Published: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 11:32 AM
Updated: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 3:12 PM

The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force closed Saturday after initially opening in the morning in the midst of a federal government shutdown.

The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force closed Saturday after initially opening in the morning in the midst of a federal government shutdown.

Hundreds of people had trekked inside the world’s largest military aviation museum Saturday morning before the closure at 1 p.m.

The fallout was the latest from the federal closure expected to affect thousands of workers at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, the largest single-site employer in Ohio with an estimated 27,000 military and civilian personnel.

RELATED: Wright Patt: Workers to show up Monday even if shutdown still in place

Wright-Patt employees were told to report to work Monday for further instructions on “shutdown activities,” but it was not yet known how many would be furloughed if the partial federal closure continued into the work week.

National Park Service interpretive centers near Huffman Prairie where the Wright brothers perfected the airplane, and the Wright-Dunbar Interpretive Center in Dayton, were among NPS sites closed Saturday in the region because of the shutdown, although the two properties were open to traffic.

What’s next for the base?

More fallout was expected Monday if the shutdown persists into the work week.

As of Friday, base officials did not have an estimate of how many Wright-Patterson civil service workers might be furloughed. All military personnel, and some civilian employees deemed in “essential” jobs, would be exempt from being sent home temporarily, but would not be paid until Congress passes an appropriations bill, according to the Pentagon.

When the last shutdown struck in 2013, both furloughed workers and those who stayed on the job were reimbursed.

Base authorities have not released further details of the full scope of what might be impacted at Wright-Patterson.

The Child Development Center was scheduled to be open Monday, spokeswoman Marie Vanover said Saturday.

Col. Alden Hilton, commander of the Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine which marked its 100th anniversary Friday, said essential classes to train aeromedical flight personnel would continue without interruption.

Hundreds of Air Force reservists scheduled for a monthly drill weekend Jan. 20-21 with the 445th Airlift Wing were expected to proceed because it was previously funded, said Lt. Col. Cynthia Harris, a unit spokeswoman.

Museum to remain closed

Matthew and Leigh Boyce, a married couple, traveled from St. Louis to the Air Force museum hoping it was open despite a partial federal government shutdown that struck midnight Saturday when Congress failed to pass a short-term stopgap funding measure.

RELATED: Government shutdown now official; Political parties blame each other

“We came into town to see our daughter and this was obviously one of the things we wanted to go to, but we were worried after we heard the news that we weren’t going to be able to get in,” Boyce, 46, said as he and his wife, Leigh, stood in the newest gallery housing iconic presidential planes and one-of-a-kind experimental jets.

“We checked the website that said it might be a possibility that it would not be open because of the shutdown, and we called this morning and they said they didn’t know whether they were even going to be open, but they suggested we come and see,” he added.

A museum spokeswoman said in an email late Friday the museum planned to stay open this weekend until it received a federal order to shut down. On Saturday, the museum indicated it would remain closed until the shutdown has ended.

Steven Wright said he was part of a group with a Cub Scout pack that drove four-and-a-half hours Saturday from Pittsburgh, Pa., only to discover the museum closed.

“It would have been nice to have known, but we didn’t even think to check on that,” he said.

The political drama over the failure of Congress and the White House to prevent a shutdown because of a lapse in a temporary funding frustrated Boyce.

RELATED: Government shutdown: How will you be impacted

“Our entire government causes me frustration,” he said. “It’s a little ridiculous that things like this get used as pawns in political games.”

WHIO-TV’s Malik Perkins contributed to this story.

Wright Patt: Workers to show up Monday even if shutdown still in place

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 5:46 PM

Wright-Patt workers to still go to work Mon. in event of shutdown

Thousands of Wright-Patterson employees were expected to report to work Monday morning for further instructions “to carry out orderly shutdown activities” if a partial federal government closure stuck at midnight Friday, base authorities said.

The scenario could be a replay of October 2013 when most civil service employees at Wright-Patterson were sent home on furlough at the state’s largest single-site employer with more than 27,000 personnel, but how many might be impacted in another temporary closure could not be answered Friday.

“It is difficult to determine how many employees would be impacted because a determination of the furlough parameters has not been released,” base spokeswoman Marie Vanover said in an email.

All military personnel, regardless of their job, would report for duty, according to the Defense Department.

RELATED: Threat of government shutdown wearing on workers

Those who stay on the job — both military and civilian — will not be paid until a Congressional appropriations bill is passed, according to the Pentagon. The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force planned to remain open over the weekend unless it receives a shutdown order, according to spokeswoman Diana Bachert. She said the museum would issue an update to the news media, and post an alert on the museum’s social media sites and its website if it must close.

Retired Col. Cassie B. Barlow, installation commander of Wright-Patterson the last time a shutdown hit, said Friday carrying out shutdown activities were “very complex” and “all encompassing.”

“I feel sorry for the folks on the base right now and what they have to go through,” she said. “It’s very frustrating. It’s frustrating for the commanders, but it’s also frustrating for all of the employees because they are starved for information right now and they’re listening to the news …

“It’s a stressful time especially when there’s a potential to not get paid,” she said, adding it was “no way” to treat employees or run a business.

The Pentagon issued a contingency plan Friday that listed broad categories where employees may be allowed to stay on the job, such as police, fire and medical services and other duties deemed “essential” to national security.

RELATED: What if a government shutdown happened: Five things to know

The reverberations of a government shutdown would be similar to the last one struck in 2013, according to Air Force Capt. Hope Cronin.

“We are hopeful that there is enough time for Congress to prevent a lapse in appropriations,” she said Friday afternoon. “However, at this time, we must plan for a range of scenarios” that include a short-term stopgap funding measure, a budget deal or a shutdown.

Air Force reservists were expected to attend a previously funded drill weekend Saturday and Sunday at the base with the 445th Airlift Wing, said spokeswoman Lt. Col. Cynthia Harris.

Among other impacts, U.S. District Court in Dayton would remain open, federal Judge Walter Rice said Friday. “I don’t expect any immediate change,” he said.

RELATED: Will a shutdown happen? Wright-Patterson in holding pattern

The U.S. Postal Service mail delivery and post offices would stay open and Social Security payments would continue to recipients, according to authorities.

The Ohio National Guard issued a statement Friday saying the agency would continue national defense operations and respond to state emergencies.

At the University of Dayton Research Institute, which has millions of dollars in federal contracts employing some 200 people, some employees may be prevented from doing their jobs and the institute “would need to find other work for them as possible,” John Leland, UDRI executive director, said in a statement. “Other contract work might have to shift temporarily shift from a government installation to a UD facility.”

Those changes are “disruptive” and “causes waste at taxpayer expense,” he added.

Head Start education programs for pre-schoolers were expected to be open Monday if a shutdown occurred, but a long-term government closure may have an impact on operations, according to Barbara Haxton, executive director of the Ohio Head State Association in Dayton.

Truck flips on its side after hit-and-run collision, driver says

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 4:51 PM


            Middletown emergency crews responded to The Alameda and Superior Avenue Friday afternoon after a pick-up truck rolled over. RICK McCRABB / STAFF
Middletown emergency crews responded to The Alameda and Superior Avenue Friday afternoon after a pick-up truck rolled over. RICK McCRABB / STAFF

The driver of a Ford F-15o pickup truck said someone ran the stop sign at the corner of The Alameda and Superior Avenue on Friday afternoon in Middletown, causing him to lose continue and flip his vehicle.

The male driver said he was traveling on Superior Avenue when a white vehicle ran the stop sign and collided with his pick-up truck. The truck flipped on its side, and the driver was uninjured, he said.

READ MORE: No serious injuries among children in Butler County school bus-truck collision

The vehicle that ran the stop sign drove off, according to the driver of the pickup truck.

Middletown police were investigating the accident.

A tow truck flipped the pickup truck back over. It appeared the truck sustained major damage.

Dayton human relations official accepts Toledo job

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 3:47 PM


            Catherine Crosby, who has worked for Dayton for more than a decade, will become the Toledo mayor’s new chief of staff.
Catherine Crosby, who has worked for Dayton for more than a decade, will become the Toledo mayor’s new chief of staff.

The executive director of Dayton’s Human Relations Council has accepted a job with the city of the Toledo.

Catherine Crosby, who has worked for the council since 2005, will become Toledo’s new chief of staff, according to an announcement today from Toledo Mayor Wade Kapszukiewicz.

Crosby, a well-known community member,

serves as board secretary to the National Community Reinvestment Coalition and is a member of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights Ohio Advisory Committee. She has been the council’s executive director since 2012.

MORE: What if a government shutdown happened? Five things to know

“Catherine Crosby has been a tremendous leader for the city of Dayton,” Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley said in a statement. “Dayton’s loss is Toledo’s gain.”

The Human Relations Council is in charge of civil rights enforcement for residents and investigates and adjudicates discrimination complaints related to housing, employment, public accommodation and credit. The council also assists minority- and women-owned businesses and promotes equal treatment of citizens.

Crosby, 40, who is from Cleveland, earned a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Wilberforce University and a master’s degree in public administration from Wright State University.

“Katy has myriad experience that she will bring to Toledo to help continue our strategic improvement,” Mayor Kapszukiewicz said.

“I am very excited about this opportunity to use my diverse experience to implement the mayor’s ambitious plan for Toledo,” Ms. Crosby said. “Toledo has a lot of similarities to Dayton, including a welcoming community, minor league baseball, booming downtown development, and a great waterfront. I am looking forward to making new friends and playing an important role in Toledo’s continued growth.”