Springfield Twp. trustees make no comment on ex-fire cadet instructor’s sex crime case

Published: Thursday, April 20, 2017 @ 4:08 PM
Updated: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 @ 10:19 PM

Police nab Springfield Twp. firefighter instructor accused of sex abuse

SPRINGFIELD TWP. — (UPDATE @ 10:15 p.m. April 25): Township trustees, after meeting in executive session, said they were told not to discuss the sex crimes case involving former Springfield Twp. fire cadet instructor Jonathan Scott Monroe.

A fire department deputy chief also declined comment about the allegations.

UPDATE @ 6 p.m. (April 25) 

Township trustees are meeting tonight for the first time since Jonathan Scott Monroe’s arrest on sex-related charges stemming from his involvement with teens in the fire department’s cadet program.

That program has been suspended and a trustee has said its future is uncertain.

According to Trustee Tim Foley, Monroe sent an email on April 6 stating his was resigning as a training instructor and adviser in the Springfield Twp. Fire Department cadet program. The trustees approved the resignation five days later, Foley said.

Click here to download our free mobile apps for breaking news, news updates and weather.

EARLIER REPORT

Jonathan Scott Monroe, 23, remains in jail on a $100,000 bond on charges accusing him of sexually assaulting teens in the fire department's cadet program.

According to an affidavit filed in Clark County Municipal Court, Monroe -- a training instructor and cadet adviser at the time of the alleged offenses -- is accused of the following: 

  • Victim 1: Rape, gross sexual imposition, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor and sexual battery 
  • Victim 2: Unlawful sexual conduct with a minor and sexual battery  
  • Victim 3: Sexual battery  
  • Victim 4: Unlawful sexual conduct with a minor and compelling prostitutio
  • Springfield Twp. firefighter training instructor accused of sexually abusing cadets

The charges involve four victims — who now are 15 years to 17 years old — under whom he had authority as their training instructor. 

An arrest warrant was filed for Monroe after he had agreed April 18 to surrender to authorities and failed to do so. 

>>GOT A TIP? Call our 24-hour line, 937-259-2237 or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

On April 5, Monroe came to the Springfield Police Division and asked to speak with detectives. It was then that he admitted he committed the crimes through access he had with the children through the cadet program. 

According to the affidavit, Monroe told police Detective Sandra Fent he was 15 or 16 years old when he first sexually touched one of the victims, a 9-year-old boy, at random times for roughly six years. 

The last occurrence was in March, Monroe told the detective, and he offered the boy $40 to engage in sexual touching.

Monroe said he and a second victim touched sexually only once, about a year ago.

He told authorities he engaged in sex with another of the victims 10 or more times in the child's bedroom. 

Monroe told authorities he "can't even begin to guess how money he paid" a fourth victim, with whom he engaged in sexual conduct in March. That victim was 15 at the time.

About 5 p.m., we learned from the Springfield Twp. trustees that Monroe resigned as a volunteer firefighter, though the date of his resignation is not immediately known.

The trustees said they would have no further comment.

City of Dayton employees now must report moonlighting

Published: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 @ 4:48 PM

Some City of Dayton workers might have to quit 2nd jobs

The city of Dayton has started requiring its employees to disclose any other jobs they have to determine if the outside work has a conflict of interest.

Previously, the city’s procedural process allowed city employees to determine on their own — without knowledge or input from city administration — if their outside employment conflicted with city policies or law, a city spokesperson said.

Dayton City Manager Shelley Dickstein at a city commission work session. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF(Staff Writer)

The policy has been revised to require employees to notify their departmental directors of any outside jobs so city administration can determine if a conflict exists, the spokesperson said.

The city has issued letters to employees over the past couple of weeks related to the revised policy, and employees can be banned from outside employment or moonlighting that violates the city charter, said Toni Bankston, city spokeswoman.

TRENDING: Prosecutor won’t charge Mason mom in hot car death

“This change protects employees from accepting positions that are legally barred, or which directly impact the city employee’s position or a city contract, or is otherwise inappropriate,” the city said in a statement.

Starting earlier this year, city of Dayton employees, many of whom have side jobs and businesses, have been required to fill out disclosure forms identifying outside employment activities, said David Duwel, a local attorney who learned about the policy change during a dismissal hearing for one of his clients.

According to the city’s old rules, employees had to figure out on their own if their other jobs were appropriate given their public positions, Duwel said.

“Employees no longer have to interpret … I think it made perfect sense to get a handle on this and do it this way,” Duwel said.

Duwel said the city is well within its legal rights to place restrictions on where else their employees work.

“Any employer can require that you identify to them if you are working someplace else,” Duwel said. “Can they prevent (you) from doing that work? … Yeah, sure, it’s not violating anything.”

About one in 16 workers in Ohio hold multiple jobs, and some public employers give their employees the right to moonlight at other places.

MORE: Dayton employee accused of metal theft wins job back

But public employees who juggle multiple jobs must be careful to avoid running afoul of the state’s conflict of interest and ethics laws, said Susan Willeke, spokesperson for the Ohio Ethics Commission.

Reports: Trump's controversial decisions in office under scrutiny by Mueller

Published: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 @ 3:27 PM

Robert Mueller - Fast Facts

Special counsel Robert Mueller has asked the White House for documents related to some of the most scrutinized decisions made by President Donald Trump while in office, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

>> Read more trending news

The request indicates that Trump’s actions in the White House are being included in the scope of Mueller’s investigation.

Covington home severely damaged by fire

Published: Monday, September 18, 2017 @ 8:06 PM
Updated: Monday, September 18, 2017 @ 10:57 PM



(Contributed by iWitness7 viewer)
((Contributed by iWitness7 viewer))

UPDATE @ 10:58 p.m.

A Covington home has sustained an estimated $80,000 in damages after a fire Monday evening. 

Fire crews responded to the residential fire around 7:20 p.m.

Covington Fire Chief Bart Weer said that the fire was apparently started by an oil fryer that had gotten out of control. A juvenile was present at the time the fire started, but was not injured. 

Covington firefighters believe a few small pets may have died in the fire. A dog, however, was saved.

FIRST REPORT

Fire crews are on the scene of an apparent residential fire in Covington. 

Around 7:30 p.m. Monday, crews were dispatched to a structure fire on S. Wall Street in Covington.

No initial reports of injuries. We are working to learn more from firefighters.

Free no more: Oregon District parking lot to charge customers

Published: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 @ 4:28 PM


            An Oregon District parking lot will begin charging customers for parking for certain times of the day. STAFF/CORNELIUS FROLIK
An Oregon District parking lot will begin charging customers for parking for certain times of the day. STAFF/CORNELIUS FROLIK

A free parking lot in the Oregon Historic District is converting to a pay system from late afternoon to the early morning hours to pay for security, aesthetic improvements and increased maintenance.

The Oregon community lot, located at the southwest end of the business district on East Fifth Street, will start charging car owners $3 to park from between 4 p.m. to 4 a.m. seven days a week.

The lot’s 140 public spaces will remain free up until 4 p.m., but after that, people will have to use a pay station or a mobile app to avoid getting a ticket or possibly towed.

RELATED: Paid parking comes to Oregon District

Drinking and misbehavior in the parking lot has led to trash, broken bottles, broken glass and other issues that hopefully will be eliminated with the addition of a parking authority and attendant, said Steve Budd, senior adviser of CityWide, which is part owner of the lot.

“And we haven’t done a refresh of the landscape in eight years,” he said.

The switch from free to fee parking follows in the footsteps of the lot behind Ned Peppers and the one next to the Environmental Protection Agency, which late last year implemented metered systems.

MORE: Owner District paid lot ‘not a money-maker,’ according to owner

Starting Monday, the Oregon District community lot will begin charging car owners after 4 p.m.

Four pay machines will be installed at the property, which is located by Omega Music, Oregon Express, Thai 9 and Jay’s Seafood. The lot was rebuilt in 2008 and has been free to visitors since that time.

The parking fees will help pay for additional lighting, landscaping upgrades and for the services of a professional parking authority to monitor and enforce the new regulations, Budd said.

Visitors will enter their license plate numbers into an electronic station and pay with cash or credit cards.

They also will have the option to pay using their mobile devices by downloading and using the Passport Parking App (PPPRK.COM).

CityWide owns about 60 percent of the 140-space parking lot. About 30 percent is owned by Jay’s Seafood and about 10 percent belongs to Gottschlich & Portune, LLP.

However, Omega Music owns 26 spaces that it does not plan to charge its customers to use.

The community lot was upgraded significantly in 2008 to offer free parking and more spaces to help the Oregon District become even more of an arts and entertainment destination.

The city of Dayton supported the lot enhancements using money from its development fund, including a $850,000 grant to CityWide.