2 sentenced to prison in slaying of Wright State student Parris Hummons

Published: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 11:34 PM

Parris Hummons
Parris Hummons

The two men responsible for shooting Wright State University student Parris Hummons in 2016 each will spend more than two decades in prison.

Our news partners, WCPO-TV in Cincinnati, reported that John Sanders and Robert Carpenter learned their fate Monday when they pleaded guilty to murder and other charges stemming from the slaying.

Their actions cut down a young woman who was in her second year of studies at Wright State.  

Before that, her grandmother said she'd written "My American Dream," a paper about her life's aspirations.  

The 19-year-old wanted to earn a PhD, she wrote: "I want my family to be proud that my last name is Hummons." 

That American dream would be cut short April 16, 2016, when Hummons went to Cincinnati to visit a friend. Her aunt said they were going to go out shopping, have a good time.  

RELATED: Wright State establishes scholarship for slain student

Hummons was shot as they drove along Reading Road in Bond Hill. A witness said she found Hummons' friend screaming for help, covered in blood.  

Hummons was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, but she died from her injuries.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said she wasn't the intended target.  

One of her killers, Robert Carpenter, told the courtroom and a Hamilton County Common Pleas judge he never intended to kill anyone but wanted to send a message. He'd been in a fight earlier that day and was out looking for revenge.

John Sanders was driving when Carpenter fired on the vehicle he thought was carrying the man he'd fought with.  

"I want to apologize for my actions," he said. "I wasn't thinking rationally ... if I could take everything back, I would."  

Sanders asked Hummons' family for forgiveness. 

"It was reckless and stupid," he said. "I pray for the Hummons family everyday. I know we're all human, but I hope one day they can forgive me."  

Shirley Rosell, Hummons' grandmother who brought her "American Dream" to court, said the family would never recover.  

"You took my joy that night," she said. "When you put the bullet in her head, you put the bullet in our hearts." 

Hummons had been studying rehabilitation services at Wright State; benefactors created a memorial scholarship in her name.  

"I want to choke both of you," her uncle and legal guardian, Vernon, told the killers. "She could have been a doctor."  

Vernon Hummons said he believed his niece died "because someone couldn't take a butt-whooping."  

Parris Hummons' best friend, Dominique Nation, told the court her friend's death "has made me question everything that I know."  

"Just being in this space around either of them is hurting me because Parris had so much going for her," Nation said.  

Carpenter and Sanders also pleaded guilty to two gun specifications and felonious assault. The judge sentenced Carpenter to 28 years to life in prison, and sentenced Sanders to 20 years to life.

Apartments in old Dayton school house could become condos

Published: Monday, August 21, 2017 @ 3:12 PM
Updated: Monday, August 21, 2017 @ 5:04 PM


            The front of the Hawthorne School Apartments in McPherson
The front of the Hawthorne School Apartments in McPherson

CityWide wants to renovate and convert about 20 apartments in an old school building into condos in the McPherson Town neighborhood, just north of downtown, according to city of Dayton documents.

The Hawthorne School Apartments, on the 200 block of McDaniel St., are being targeted for conversion by CityWide, which is a private nonprofit group that focuses on economic development in the Dayton area.

The building, formerly an elementary school, was converted into rental housing in the late 1990s.

CityWide needs the city to restructure a debt agreement on the property for the conversion project to move forward, said Brian Heitkamp, president of CityWide.

“We’re still finalizing the deal itself, but we needed to get the debt piece in line if we are to go forward this way,” he said. “We are preparing to turn these into condos, but this is the first step.”

The Hawthorne School Apartments feature 14-foot ceilings with pressed tin and Victorian woodwork. Some have school blackboards and the original classroom and gym wood floors.

The city, CityWide and McPherson Town Neighborhood Development Corp. worked together to convert the vacant, 110-year-old school into housing.

The apartment project cost about $1.57 million, which was paid for with federal block grants, HOME funds, a city loan and historic tax credits.

McPherson Town NDC and CityWide owned the building.

MORE: Big player in Dayton, big change in leadership

The city of Dayton is looking at modifying a loan owed to it by CityWide that would support the conversion project.

Under the proposed loan agreement, CityWide plans to renovate and convert the apartments into condos, the sale of which are projected to bring in about $1.4 million.

Some of the money would go toward repaying city for the original $750,000 loan CityWide took out to help make the school into apartments. The remaining balance is nearly $681,600.

Local officials have said the greater downtown area needs more housing product that is for sale.

“The market is primed for this type of conversion and doing so promote sproperty ownership,” according to the city manager’s report for the contract modification agreement. City commissioners will vote on the request on Wednesday.

In 2014, CityWide converted the McCormick loft apartments near Fifth Third Field into 10 condos.

The McPherson neighborhood, named after one of the early family settlers, spans a handful of blocks, north of downtown and the river, south of Interstate 75.

Dayton man robbed while ‘mudding’

Published: Monday, August 21, 2017 @ 12:28 PM


            A 31-year-old man told police he was driving around in the mud in his truck for fun on Saturday night when he was robbed.
A 31-year-old man told police he was driving around in the mud in his truck for fun on Saturday night when he was robbed.

A Dayton man told officers he was “mudding” on the trails near Rip Rap Road Park on Saturday night when he was robbed and assaulted by three men.

At 8:55 a.m. Sunday, Dayton police were dispatched to the 3200 block of Needmore Road on an armed robbery complaint.

A 31-year-old man told police he was driving around in the mud in his truck for fun on Saturday night.

TRENDING: 2 high school students killed in Greene County crash

He told officers he was hanging out by the river in front of a fire he made when three men rode up on all-terrain vehicles, a police report states.

After making small talk, one of the men left and returned on foot with a handgun and ordered the victim to strip and hand over all of his valuables, including his wallet, cell phone and car keys, according to the man’s statement. The men threw his clothes into the river.

The man said he was assaulted by the men but was able to get away by swimming across the river. He said the suspect with the gun climbed into his truck and drove off, but it apparently got stuck not far away.

MORE: Judge shot outside Ohio courtroom returned fire; 1 suspect killed, 1 in custody

The man told police he found his truck struck in a large mud hole with a stick jammed between the driver’s seat and the accelerator, causing the vehicle and engine to continue to run.

The victim told police he would not be able to recognize the men again because it was dark. He also was unable to describe their ATVs, the report states.

Former Children’s doctor does not waive extradition remains in Virginia

Published: Thursday, August 17, 2017 @ 2:23 PM
Updated: Monday, August 21, 2017 @ 2:05 PM

Former Children’s doctor indicted on sex charge

UPDATE @ 2:05 p.m. (Aug. 21)

Arun Aggarwal did not wave extradition during a hearing Monday morning in Loundon County, VA, according to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.

Aggarwal has been scheduled for a bond hearing set for tomorrow morning. He is currently being held without bond in the Loundon County Adult Detention Center.

UPDATE @ 3:55 p.m. (Aug. 18)

Arun Aggarwal was arrested Friday after attempting to flee the country according to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office. Aggarwal was arrested in Washington D.C. after flying from Cleveland to Dulles International Airport in an attempt to catch a connecting flight to India.

Aggarwal is currently at the Loudoun County detention center where he will remain in custody until he is extradited back to Ohio to face charges

A former pediatric gastroenterologist at Dayton Children’s Hospital was indicted Thursday on four counts of gross sexual imposition for allegedly touching two female teenage patients’ breasts.

A warrant was issued for Dr. Arun Aggarwal’s arrest. He is scheduled for arraignment on Aug. 31. The charges are fourth-degree felonies. Calls for comment to an attorney who has represented Aggarwal were not returned Thursday.

The incidents allegedly occurred between Dec. 23, 2013 and Nov. 10, 2014. A 2015 investigation by Dayton police concluded with the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office declining to take the case to grand jury because one of the alleged victims wouldn’t testify, according to records obtained by the Dayton Daily News.

RELATED: No charges in case involving doctor accused of touching girls’ breasts

Montgomery County Prosecutor Mat Heck said Thursday they re-opened the case because additional evidence came out during testimony about the accusation before the state medical board. The board in May revoked Aggarwal’s medical license.

In announcing the charges, Heck said allegations like those made against Aggarwal should be brought to law enforcement immediately.

“When medical personnel commit crimes, especially sex crimes against children, under the guise of medical examination, it must be immediately reported to the police, and they must be held accountable,” he said. “History shows that inaction and failure to report such activity can start a pattern of continuous inappropriate and illegal conduct.”

RELATED: Board revokes license of doctor accused of touching two teens’ breasts

Aggarwal was employed by Wright State University’s medical school and practiced at Dayton Children’s under a contract between WSU and the hospital.

An investigation by the Dayton Daily News this year found hospital and university administrators opted not to report the allegations against Aggarwal to police. After the first complaint, they issued him a warning. After the second, they set up a policy requiring a nurse or other health professional to be in the room whenever he examined a female patient over the age of 10.

RELATED: Records reveal hospital debate over sexual misconduct allegations

Police learned of the allegations when a Children’s Hospital manager reported it to police on her own.

“This idea of ‘We’ll take corrective measures without reporting it to authorities or … the Dayton police department or without reporting it to those who are in charge of this hospital’ won’t fly,” Heck said. “Hospitals, doctors are absolutely mandatory reporters; that is a legal obligation.”

When asked if administrators could be charged with not meeting this obligation, Heck said “that is something we have been discussing.”

Dayton Children’s Hospital released a statement Thursday saying they have strengthened their processes in responding to allegations of this nature and have implemented “one of the most stringent chaperone policies in the country.”

RELATED: ‘Our process failed us,’ hospital CEO says

“The safety of our patients is our top priority,” the statement says. “We want to assure parents that we will not tolerate any actions which could impact our quality of care or breach the trust placed in us by patients, parents and the community.”

Wright State officials did not return messages left Thursday. They previously declined to comment on the Aggarwal case citing a lawsuit he has pending against the school.

Aggarwal sued Wright State in 2015 alleging wrongful termination. The case is still open, according to federal court records.

Aggarwal told state medical board investigators that his actions were medically necessary as parts of examinations of the two girls.

MORE FROM THIS REPORTER

Are black female inmates given smaller cells at county jail?

County reaches $375K settlement with pepper-sprayed inmate

County’s review of questionable tax breaks slowed by appraisal appeals

Amid panhandlng problem, group is on front lines fighting homelessness

Feds won’t charge Beavercreek officer in Walmart shooting

Barcelona van attack: At least 15 killed in terror attack; arrests made 

Published: Thursday, August 17, 2017 @ 7:44 PM
Updated: Friday, August 18, 2017 @ 7:56 AM

Terror Attacks in Spain

Authorities said a terror attack in Barcelona claimed at least 15 lives on Thursday and left 80 others injured after a van slammed into pedestrians on Barcelona's popular La Rambla street.

>> Read more trending news

Mossos d'Esquadra, the Catalonia police force, confirmed the attack in a Twitter post around 5:10 p.m. local time.