log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, November 06, 2017 @ 3:23 PM
Abraham Lincoln, John Henry Patterson and the Wright Bros. are just a few of the big-name historical figures commemorated by local monuments.
But a new, 12,000-pound sculpture installed at Cooper Park downtown seeks to recognize and honor the contributions of everyday public servants, including those who teach children, fight fires, pave roads, combat crime, mow grass and protect and serve the public in myriad other ways.
Public servants have been denigrated in recent years, and the new sculpture thanks government employees for their hard work, dedication and good deeds, said Tim Riordan, Dayton’s former city manager who helped pay for the piece.
“I just got the feeling that people didn’t always respect the work that the public servants did,” he said.
Called “The Common Good,” the 8-foot tall monument, carved out of Pennsylvania granite, will be officially unveiled at 1 p.m. Wednesday. The monument sits at the northwest corner of Cooper Park, at East Second and North St. Clair streets.
Installed last week, the sculpture pays tribute to public servants with 13 quotations from some of history’s most famous political and thought leaders. This includes Harry Truman, Lyndon B. Johnson, George H. W. Bush, Thomas Jefferson, Condoleezza Rice and Warren Buffett.
The quotations wrap around the piece, requiring readers to circle it. Some of those used:
From Muhammad Ali, “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”
Thomas Jefferson adds, “The care of human life and happiness is the first and only legitimate objective of good government.”
The quotes declare that public service is a good thing, said Riordan, who worked in government for almost four decades, retiring as Dayton’s city manager in early 2015.
“It’s a lot of famous people, in their own way, saying thank you,” he said.
He worked for the city between 1972 and 1998, and then returned in mid-2009.
Riordan and his wife helped pay for the $60,000 sculpture.
Other contributors included Paul Woodie (former assistant city manager), Stanley Earley (former deputy city manager) and Charles Jones (former assistant city manager).
Jon Barlow Hudson was the artist. His sculptures can be found in more than 20 countries and 10 states.
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 5:30 AM
Updated: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 7:26 AM
Published: Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 6:53 PM
Updated: Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 8:06 PM
— Simone Biles, who won four gold medals at the 2016 Summer Olympics, went on social media Monday and became the latest gymnast to claim that former team doctor Larry Nassar sexually abused her.
“I am one of the many survivors who was sexually abused by Larry Nassar,” Biles, 20, wrote on Twitter. “Please believe me when I say it was a lot harder to first speak these words out loud than it is now to put them on paper.”
Nassar, who spent more than 20 years working at Michigan State University and as a physician for USA Gymnastics, has admitted to sexually assaulting gymnasts, ESPN reported.
In December, Nassar was sentenced to 60 years in prison on charges of child pornography. He will be sentenced Tuesday for 10 state counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, ESPN reported. Nassar, 54, pleaded guilty to those charges in November.
Nassar has been accused by more than 140 women and girls of sexual misconduct. That includes Olympic gymnasts Gabby Douglas, McKayla Maroney and Aly Raisman, CNN reported.
“For too long I’ve asked myself, ‘Was I too naive?’ ‘Was it my fault?’ I now know the answers to those questions,” Biles tweeted. “No. No, it was not my fault.
“No, I will not and should not carry the guilt that belongs to Larry Nassar, USAG (USA Gymnastics), and others .”
In her tweet, Biles also called Nassar’s behavior “completely unacceptable, disgusting and abusive.”
Raisman offered her support to Biles in a tweet. Raisman accused Nassar of sexual abuse in November.
“I stand with you,” Raisman tweeted.
I am so proud of you. You are incredible Simone. I stand with you. I am shaking reading your post. I know we will all get through this together. https://t.co/Ziec5Fkhwv— Alexandra Raisman (@Aly_Raisman) January 15, 2018
Published: Friday, January 12, 2018 @ 12:43 PM
Updated: Friday, January 12, 2018 @ 12:51 PM
The city of Dayton has issued an order to vacate a downtown apartment building containing almost 50 residents after its owners failed to fix a malfunctioning heating system, making the building unsafe to live in, city officials said.
Officials say they will board up the Newcom Building at 255 N. Main St. on Tuesday unless the heating system is repaired.
All residents would be required to relocate.
The boiler was shut off after fire crews earlier this month discovered high levels of carbon monoxide in the building, which can lead to deadly poisoning.
“Ensuring that our citizens are safe is of the utmost importance,” said Dayton City Manager Shelley Dickstein in a statement. “If we find conditions that are hazardous and that put lives at risk, the only recourse we have is to vacate the building for the residents’ safety.”
But Newcom Building Co. President Howard Heck said three days is not nearly enough time to repair the boiler since it is old and its parts are not easy to get.
The boiler could take a couple of weeks to repair “unless there is a miracle and the center sections would be available, in stock that can be overnighted,” he said.
Some residents say it’s unreasonable that they will have to find some place to move to when it’s perfectly safe and warm in their apartments.
“It’s absolutely ridiculous,” said Bradley Brumit, who lives in the building. “No one wants to leave because they ain’t got no place to go. … We’d have to be Houdini to find somebody to give us a place to move.”
On Thursday, the city issued the owners and residents of the Newcom building an emergency vacate order.
The city’s housing inspection department said conditions inside the building are dangerous because the heating system is not working properly.
The city told residents that they need to make arrangements to find housing by Tuesday. There are about 25 apartments in the building. Many residents are elderly and low-income.
The city discovered building code violations at the Newcom building after crews responded to an emergency medical run on Jan. 4.
Fire crews found high levels of carbon monoxide related to a malfunctioning boiler as well as other deficiencies.
City officials said they gave the building owner seven days to fix the problems.
The building had multiple electrical hazards and an improperly functioning fire alarm that created dangerous conditions and required intervention, said Dayton Assistant Fire Chief Nicholas Hosford.
But now from a fire safety standpoint, the building no longer has any immediate fire hazards, Hosford said. However, it does not have heat, which means its not compliant with code.
Heck said the boiler would cost $40,000 to replace, which he cannot afford to do. He said he’s called multiple companies trying to get it repaired or rebuilt, but that likely will take time.
“I’m willing to work to get this done, but it’s just like if you have a car and need the parts but OK they have to come down from Chicago or Detroit or Kansas City, you just can’t do it” immediately, he said. “The timeline of three days, especially over a holiday weekend, is unreasonable.”
The building has a double layer of brick, and even when the temperature dropped below zero, it is not freezing cold in the apartments, Brumit said.
The gas in the building is on so residents can take showers, cook food and wash clothing, residents said.
“They act like being in here when it’s cold is worse than being homeless,” he said.
The city said residents can access their rooms and the property until Tuesday.
The order cannot be lifted unless a state inspector re-certifies the boiler, which requires it to be repaired or replaced, officials said.
The city has worked with Montgomery County Emergency Management and some social service agencies to assist residents in finding a place to go and move and accessing other services.
Published: Friday, January 12, 2018 @ 11:44 AM
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE — Wright-Patterson will allow thousands of employees to leave early today with an impending winter storm approaching the Miami Valley, a spokesman says.
The early departure was set to start at 1 p.m, said base spokesman Brian Brackens.
“We will use a staggered release to reduce congestion,” said spokeswoman Marine Vanover.
First responders, such as police and fire personnel, and Wright-Patterson Medical Center and airfield operations employees, however, were not included in the approval for an early departure, officials said.
The medical center was set to maintain normal operating hours, Vanover said.
Wright-Patterson is the largest single site-employer in Ohio with more than 27,000 military personnel and civilian workers.